Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > Feedback > Is it my imagination, or was MacNN more busy?

Is it my imagination, or was MacNN more busy?
Tuoder
Mac Elite
Jun 18, 2010, 10:49 PM

I thought I remembered visiting the forum a while back and having a lot more posts to wade through. Are there any traffic stats anyone cares to share?

mduell
Posting Junkie
Jun 19, 2010, 12:57 AM

Quieter than ever... Alt OS forum isn't even a page, only a dozen active threads in the Lounge today, etc.

Quantcast confirms traffic is decreasing: forums.macnn.com Profile - Traffic Counts, Audience Segments, Demographics, Geographic Breakdowns

besson3c
Clinically Insane
Jun 19, 2010, 03:37 AM

We need a petition to force Abe to be crazy again.

ghporter
Administrator
Jun 19, 2010, 08:53 AM

Nah, we just need more substance to discuss. It's been a slow summer already. The iPhone frenzy died off pretty fast for some reason, in spite of having a really interesting new product that should have generated tons of discussion and (yes) argument. Maybe when iPhone OS 4 hits the street we'll have more on that to discuss.

I think the Mac platform itself is at a plateau at the moment. We get faster, more capable machines with each refresh, but we haven't seen any new "killer apps" in a long time. The iPad will continue to be a niche product for a while, waiting for something beyond book reader apps and cool games, though it may take off as more people get a chance to play with it.

I fear that a lot of our biggest traffic generators have not been technological issues, but belligerent users. Abe's tirades, Kevin's rantings, etc., have made for a lot of visits. Not real "content" or "discussion," but lots of visits.

Glenn -----OTR/L, MOT, Tx

Dork.
Professional Poster
Jun 19, 2010, 11:07 AM

Or maybe we need more dead celebrities to discuss. Who's next to kick off?

imitchellg5
Posting Junkie
Jun 19, 2010, 12:09 PM

Abe.

Brien
Professional Poster
Jun 19, 2010, 01:50 PM

If you click 'All', it looks like visits are only about 1/5th of what they were in 2007.

turtle777
Clinically Insane
Jun 19, 2010, 02:25 PM

Originally Posted by ghporter View Post
Nah, we just need more substance to discuss.
I don't think that's the reason.

It's not like we had more substance in the past.

The forum just seems to have lost appeal, and it definitely lost some personalities.

-t

Brien
Professional Poster
Jun 19, 2010, 05:09 PM

Well, not to mention the parent site (MacNN) has seen better days, viewership-wise.

Spheric Harlot
Clinically Insane
Jun 19, 2010, 06:46 PM

I don't visit anymore since they implemented those awful pop-up underlined-word ads.

****ing annoying.

Now that they've added that user-tracking service (Tyne or whatever it's called) when you copy text off it - bleh.

AKcrab
Moderator Emeritus
Jun 19, 2010, 06:50 PM

Originally Posted by Spheric Harlot View Post
I don't visit anymore since they implemented those awful pop-up underlined-word ads.
Is there any way to block those? I find those even MORE annoying than flash ads.

Brien
Professional Poster
Jun 19, 2010, 07:21 PM

****ing annoying.

Now that they've added that user-tracking service (Tyne or whatever it's called) when you copy text off it - bleh.
Still better than when they tried putting them on the forums, too.

scaught
Addicted to MacNN
Jun 20, 2010, 03:50 PM

Originally Posted by AKcrab View Post
Is there any way to block those? I find those even MORE annoying than flash ads.
According to Gruber, add this to your hosts file: 127.0.0.1 tcr.tynt.com

Daring Fireball: Tynt, the Copy/Paste Jerks

He also links to a safari extension....

Railroader
Banned
Jun 20, 2010, 05:11 PM

Originally Posted by turtle777 View Post

The forum just seems to have lost appeal, and it definitely lost some personalities.

-t
Though I think quite a few people were driven off by some 'personalities' who have been allowed to post inane threads and offensive passive-aggressive attacks. I certainly spend a lot less time on here because of Besson3c. The atmosphere sucks with him around.

reader50
Administrator
Jun 20, 2010, 05:23 PM

You guys need to do more exciting things. So we'll have stuff to talk about.

When we were growing up, we used to talk about infiltrating the regimes of 3rd world countries, or embezzling from Mexican drug gangs. Then we could talk about our use of Macs along the way.

Oh wait, maybe I've just solved why a bunch of members vanished.

Spheric Harlot
Clinically Insane
Jun 20, 2010, 05:39 PM

Originally Posted by scaught View Post
According to Gruber, add this to your hosts file: 127.0.0.1 tcr.tynt.com

Daring Fireball: Tynt, the Copy/Paste Jerks

He also links to a safari extension....
That's something different.

I was complaining about the Tynt thing - thanks for the update (I read the Gruber article before the extension was there).

The other thing I mentioned and that he's talking about is the ****wittage of pop-up ads when you mouse over words with double-underlines on MacNN and hundreds of other sites that don't want readers.

Viz: iPhone 4 orders start shipping, others get canceled | Electronista

Scroll over the word "Apple" in the first paragraph.

AKcrab
Moderator Emeritus
Jun 20, 2010, 05:42 PM

The other thing I mentioned and that he's talking about is the ****wittage of pop-up ads when you mouse over words with double-underlines on MacNN and hundreds of other sites that don't want readers.
Yes, thanks Spheric. I can simply edit the copy/paste and go about my life. But the mouseover popups drive me batshit insane.

Spheric Harlot
Clinically Insane
Jun 20, 2010, 05:43 PM

Originally Posted by AKcrab View Post
Yes, thanks Spheric. I can simply edit the copy/paste and go about my life.
The company tracks you.

Spheric Harlot
Clinically Insane
Jun 20, 2010, 05:51 PM

Okay.

1. Tynt.
The Tynt extension crashes Safari for me. Out with it, everything's fine again.

2. Pop-up ad crap
Mousing over one of them shows they're by Vibrant Media.
Googling that and Safari and deactivate turns up this post on macosxhints by our own chabig:

09-30-2009, 02:51 PM #4
chabig
MVP

The Vibrant ads contain, within the pop-up, a feature to turn off the pop-ups. When a popup appears, click on the help question mark and a new window opens with help info. It contains an option to turn off the ads.
That appears to work.

Kerrigan
Addicted to MacNN
Jun 20, 2010, 11:33 PM

Originally Posted by Railroader View Post
Though I think quite a few people were driven off by some 'personalities' who have been allowed to post inane threads and offensive passive-aggressive attacks. I certainly spend a lot less time on here because of Besson3c. The atmosphere sucks with him around.
I agree. Things got pretty weird during that episode involving him and wdlove, and I began to view the forum differently after that.

besson3c
Clinically Insane
Jun 20, 2010, 11:49 PM

Originally Posted by Kerrigan View Post
I agree. Things got pretty weird during that episode involving him and wdlove, and I began to view the forum differently after that.

Surely you have me mistaken for somebody else. I have had no interesting history with wdlove whatsoever.

turtle777
Clinically Insane
Jun 21, 2010, 01:43 AM

Originally Posted by besson3c View Post
Surely you have me mistaken for somebody else. I have had no interesting history with wdlove whatsoever.
Say what? Weren't you the one who even got a temp ban for baiting him with this adoption story ?

-t

Spheric Harlot
Clinically Insane
Jun 21, 2010, 02:21 AM

I have had no interesting history whatsoever.
This much, at least, is true.

Kerrigan
Addicted to MacNN
Jun 21, 2010, 02:22 AM

I believe he and cubeoid were, yeah.

I miss the old days when Salty was in the closet (and a homophobe, lol). Those threads were always entertaining.

besson3c
Clinically Insane
Jun 21, 2010, 04:27 AM

Originally Posted by turtle777 View Post
Say what? Weren't you the one who even got a temp ban for baiting him with this adoption story ?

-t

He was going to adopt Cubeoid, I had nothing to do with his decision to do that. In fact, I encouraged Cubeoid to let him on that he wasn't serious, which he eventually did.

besson3c
Clinically Insane
Jun 21, 2010, 04:28 AM

This much, at least, is true.
There was this one time where I got my head stuck underneath the closet door in my fourth grade classroom... They had to get the janitor to come and unhinge the door. True story!

Big Mac
Clinically Insane
Jun 21, 2010, 07:10 AM

There was this one time where I got my head stuck underneath the closet door in my fourth grade classroom... They had to get the janitor to come and unhinge the door. True story!
That explains a lot.

"The natural progress of things is for liberty to yield and government to gain ground." TJ

Dork.
Professional Poster
Jun 21, 2010, 07:11 AM

And you learned a valuable lesson that day:
Sticking your head where it doesn't belong can get you into trouble.

andi*pandi
Jun 21, 2010, 01:12 PM

I think in general forum use is declining, as people adopt facebook and twitter. There's only so many places you can check and update and follow, really.

The Final Dakar
Games Meister
Jun 21, 2010, 01:15 PM

Originally Posted by Brien View Post
If you click 'All', it looks like visits are only about 1/5th of what they were in 2007.
...and God knows people were saying MacNN was becoming a ghost of itself back then.

MacNN is dying
Banned
Jun 21, 2010, 01:28 PM

Originally Posted by andi*pandi View Post
I think in general forum use is declining, as people adopt facebook and twitter. There's only so many places you can check and update and follow, really.
Maybe so... but dedicated web forums are still thriving. We all have friends and ppl we know, contacts etc via twitter et al, but there is still a strong market for specific information sites.

Unfortunately a few over zealous moderators and certain members acting like keyboard commandos killed what little community spirit was left at MacNN. Sad really.

The Final Dakar
Games Meister
Jun 21, 2010, 01:30 PM

Anonymous poster or previously banned?

MacNN is dying
Banned
Jun 21, 2010, 01:33 PM

Originally Posted by The Final Dakar View Post
Anonymous poster or previously banned?
Nice hook

The Final Dakar
Games Meister
Jun 21, 2010, 01:35 PM

wat

MacNN is dying
Banned
Jun 21, 2010, 01:38 PM

wat
How did that make no sense?

The Final Dakar
Games Meister
Jun 21, 2010, 01:41 PM

Thanks to over/misuse of the winky emoticon I already have an instant dislike of you.

MacNN is dying
Banned
Jun 21, 2010, 01:52 PM

Thanks to over/misuse of the winky emoticon I already have an instant dislike of you.
Oh dear.

Funny how you didn't address the points in my original post and just replied with some nonsense about me being anonymous or previously banned.

Despite being a seasoned keyboard commando, i don't dislike you.

The Final Dakar
Games Meister
Jun 21, 2010, 01:59 PM

Originally Posted by MacNN is dying View Post
Oh dear.

Funny how you didn't address the points in my original post and just replied with some nonsense about me being anonymous or previously banned.
I didn't realize you stating your opinion merited addressing. Wouldn't "addressing" them be "keyboard commando" behavior? Anyway, I thought the opinion was fine as is.

Further, I didn't reply to you. That was more a general statement (or theory) made for the entire forum.

Originally Posted by MacNN is dying View Post
Despite being a seasoned keyboard commando, i don't dislike you.
Let me guess, you're one of those people who doesn't "dislike" anybody.

MacNN is dying
Banned
Jun 21, 2010, 02:34 PM

I didn't realize you stating your opinion merited addressing.
Thank you for showing first hand how some members on this forum have killed constructive discussion.

Wouldn't "addressing" them be "keyboard commando" behavior? Anyway, I thought the opinion was fine as is.

Further, I didn't reply to you. That was more a general statement (or theory) made for the entire forum.
Granted, a double edged question can always provide cover to a response.

Not really. There are people I dislike, but to dislike someone for using a winking smiley is just preposterous.

Big Mac
Clinically Insane
Jun 21, 2010, 02:39 PM

I think you're taking the Forums way too seriously, friend.

"The natural progress of things is for liberty to yield and government to gain ground." TJ

besson3c
Clinically Insane
Jun 21, 2010, 02:47 PM

Is the participation at other Mac boards down as well?

As the Mac has gotten more mainstream, there have surely been more competitors established, and as OS X has matured there have been been fewer problems with it. A big percentage of our audience consists of experienced Mac users. The newbies either perhaps don't use forums in general, or maybe participate at a place like MacRumors that perhaps has done better with a less experienced audience.

I don't read the parent MacNN site because I find Mac news in general extremely boring. Maybe as OS X has become more established the news has gotten more boring too?

besson3c
Clinically Insane
Jun 21, 2010, 02:50 PM

MacNN also seems to be sort of in between the uber geeky ArsTechnica crowd and the newbie MacRumors crowd. Maybe it is best to sort of focus on one or the other? I think a place like Ars really has the geeky crowd pretty well wrapped up, and I'm sure it is fairly small anyway.

The Final Dakar
Games Meister
Jun 21, 2010, 02:54 PM

Without trying to insult the owners and administrators (and being too damned obvious), I imagine the big problem is the "birthrate" is declining. We're losing members faster than we gain them, and I'd posit that's mostly from MacNN not being all that famous as a news site (IMO) and partly because the social landscape may have changed how/when people use of forums.

SpaceMonkey
Addicted to MacNN
Jun 21, 2010, 02:56 PM

Show of hands of active forum members who actually read the MacNN news pages? Not me.

"One ticket to Washington, please. I have a date with destiny."

The Final Dakar
Games Meister
Jun 21, 2010, 02:58 PM

Probably not regularly since 2005. And I know there was a point in 07 or 08 where someone mentioned it and I was flabbergasted as I had completely forgot this was a news site.

besson3c
Clinically Insane
Jun 21, 2010, 02:59 PM

Maybe MacNN needs to think about reinventing itself, not just in terms of rethinking its audience, but rethinking the nature of its content?

Last I checked MacNN would carry stories along the lines of "____ now offers new iPod carrying cases" and news about other Mac related products and software updates and stuff? No offense, but this is incredibly dull, especially as the Mac has gotten more mainstream.

Maybe it would be better to focus on industry news such as how Macs are being used to do cool stuff - where and how they are being used and by whom? As long as this didn't turn into a Mac cheerleader thing this could be interesting. A source of information as to *how* to do some of these things couldn't hurt either. Any information that people might Google for while trying to scratch an itch where they discover MacNN in the process is a net win, even if this was just an aggregate to other stories.

MacNN is dying
Banned
Jun 21, 2010, 02:59 PM

I didn't realize you stating your opinion merited addressing. Wouldn't "addressing" them be "keyboard commando" behavior? Anyway, I thought the opinion was fine as is.

Originally Posted by Big Mac View Post
I think you're taking the Forums way too seriously, friend.
I hear ya Mac... Keep the faith.

The Final Dakar
Games Meister
Jun 21, 2010, 03:02 PM

The obvious answer is this place needs to steal an Apple prototype.

SpaceMonkey
Addicted to MacNN
Jun 21, 2010, 03:03 PM

Or at least pretend that they did, in sort of a "Wag the Dog" way.

"One ticket to Washington, please. I have a date with destiny."

besson3c
Clinically Insane
Jun 21, 2010, 03:05 PM

It probably wouldn't hurt if that Apple prototype happened to have a little child porn on it, huh?

Forum Links
Forum Rules