Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Enthusiast Zone > Classic Macs and Mac OS > 6100 follow up

6100 follow up
stefls
Dedicated MacNNer
Feb 19, 2002, 11:57 AM

Hi all,

Some time ago a had a problem with a 6100 powermac: it did chime, but refused to startup. This has been solved after installing a new ROM-battery (costing me whopping �18!!!).
I even managed to create a network startup disk, connect it via ethernet to my ibook, and install 7.5.3 via the ibook. Afterwards I updated to 7.5.5, switched from mactcp to open transport. Everything seemed fine, untill.... I turned on Virtual memory: system error 10, crash. On a new startup, the 'welcome to macintosh'-screen shakes like a 'i-won't-let-you-in-since-your-pass-is-wrong-os9/x-login-screen'. Starting up from the bootdisk goes fine. After repeating the entire installation-procedure, the same problem occurred. I changed RAM, so that should not be the problem. Any ideas? Thanks in advance for sharing some precious braincapacity with me!

Stefan

MacMonster
Forum Regular
Feb 19, 2002, 02:29 PM

I think the problem is you install via your iBook. The system installer first will detect what machine you are using and then install some components or some special code in your system files that fit your machine. But your iBook is too new for System 7.5.3, so the installer will not detect your machine model properly, and give you a wrong set of system software for your 6100, so that your 6100 cannot run it.

Try to install some Gestalt ID cheating software on your iBook and install again.

yukon
Mac Elite
Feb 21, 2002, 12:19 AM

I've aactually seen that jittery thing too! Mine just went away.

anyway. boot up on the powwermac with the "7.5.5 network boot disk" from apple (aka "Network Access.img"). set up a little network. insert cd in ibook, use it on the 6100, and install from there. I had to do that because my cd drive won't boot sometimes (how to fix that?). best way I know of.

oh, on the bootdisk network, install macsbug. then at startup, macsbug will popup giving a more detailed explination of the crash (if it gets loaded first). rs to restart.
[img]broken link[/img]
This insanity brought to you by:
The French CBC, driving antenna users mad since 1937.

Forum Links
Forum Rules