Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Enthusiast Zone > Classic Macs and Mac OS > 6500 Upgrades.....HD,g3,and VooDoo3

6500 Upgrades.....HD,g3,and VooDoo3
Syco
Dec 16, 1999, 12:51 AM

O.k..........I need some questions answered.......can I put the Maxtor 40 gig HD in my 6500?.......Has anyone put in a Sonnet 500 MHz upgrade in it?......has it worked?.....and also.....can I put a VooDoo 3 or a good game playing card in this machine?.....or am I stuck getting a G4 when I find the money?.......please help......Thankz in advance......

Seagull
Dec 16, 1999, 08:58 AM

Hello...
There is a site concentrating on topics relating to the Power Mac 6400, including G3 upgrades and Voodoo 3, called "The 6400 Zone", which is at "http://hometown.aol.com/tmk12v/". Sincce the PM 6500 is similar to the 6400, so if you haven't visit it, I suggest that you take look.

Seagull
Dec 16, 1999, 09:05 AM

On the subject of the 40GB hard disk, I think if the disk is of the ATA (IDE) type, you probably can use it since I read somewhere that Mac models similar to and including the 6500 can accept disks in the 100s of GB. What I would do is connect this new disk in place of the old one and start up the computer using a Mac OS CD and you will be prompt to format the disk to Mac format.

drewman
Mac Enthusiast
Dec 18, 1999, 01:31 AM

Sonnet upgrade = $700
37 GB Hard Drive = $335
Voodoo 3 card = $85

You are getting awfully close to buying yourself a new G4 that will be easier to upgrade and assured compatibility with MacOS X.

drewman

Syco
Dec 20, 1999, 08:09 PM

O.k......Drew.....

The hard drive can be moved to the g4 or imac as soon as I buy one.....and same with the voodoo 3 card......at least in the g4......so guess the only thing that isnt worth the price is a g3 500 upgrade......right?........thankz for the input from both of you....

Forum Links
Forum Rules