Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Enthusiast Zone > Gaming > PS3, Wii or XB360

View Poll Results: Which ones would it have to be ?
Poll Options:
Sony PlayStation 3 203 votes (32.02%)
Nintendo Wii 329 votes (51.89%)
Microsoft XBox 360 213 votes (33.60%)
None 34 votes (5.36%)
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 634. You may not vote on this poll
PS3, Wii or XB360 (Page 93)
jokell82
Professional Poster
Oct 22, 2007, 09:53 AM

Originally Posted by goMac View Post
Please don't act like I'm saying that the PS buttons aren't impossible to memorize, but the Gamecube's controls are a lot easier to work with.
Actually that's very much game-dependent. For games that use a primary button most of the time the Gamecube controller was fantastic. But if you didn't have a primary button in the game, the layout of the GCN controller was very uncomfortable. I.e. try playing a fighting game like Mortal Kombat on the GCN. The buttons are spaced too oddly to be effective.

All glory to the hypnotoad.

sek929
Posting Junkie
Oct 22, 2007, 12:42 PM

Similar buttons are easier to memorize than randomly-shaped buttons placed at odd angles.

The GameCube controller will never be good, no matter how you spin it GoMac. If you're old enough to have used A and B on the NES controller I'd say you can learn a new button layout in ten minutes.....maybe less.

The PS2s only downfall was it's small size (and I have small hands) which the 360 Controller perfects quite nicely.

I've never had to look at the buttons more than while playing GC games, Metroid would have been 100X times better with a decent controller.

Hawkeye_a  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Oct 22, 2007, 01:27 PM

Jokell, i thnk thats what i was trying to get at as well, and so when you have players from either camp trying the other controller they probably wont like it.

Also, non gamers would probably find the GCN controller easier cause of the single primary button than having to deal with 4 different possibilities everytime they pop in a new game. Either way those controllers are for the most part..... old fashioned and will probably be phased out eventually, what with Gates mentioning a wii-esq concept for games at the 'All things digital' conference.

As with the NPD numbers.....i noticed XB360 finally broke the Wii's winning streak...... im guessing its cause Halo3 came out, but the difference is just 27k units (5.3%) more than Wii ? thats a little shocking to say the least...i thought the difference would be closer to 25%-30%...... and it's not like the Wii's numbers are shabby either. The Ps3 on the other hand..... not so much.

terryshaw09
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Oct 22, 2007, 09:22 PM

you dummies will be argueing forever over this stuff with you bias's

goMac
Posting Junkie
Oct 22, 2007, 09:36 PM

Originally Posted by starman View Post
Uh, hold on there, snappy.

First off, the "X" on the PS controller is not a "letter", it's a shape. X, CIRCLE, SQUARE, TRIANGLE.
Uh ok? The shapes still don't have any sort of relation to the layout of the buttons.

As for the Gamecube controller, didn't that have ACTUAL letters? A, B, Z, X, Y?
Yes, and as I noted before, games showed you what buttons to push based on an actual picture of the button. Spend much time on the Cube? A Cube game never told you to just press the Y button. It actually showed you a little picture of the Y button, which is a lot easier to deal with because the buttons are geometrically arranged.
8 Core 2.8 ghz Mac Pro/GF8800/2 23" Cinema Displays, 3.06 ghz Macbook Pro
Once you wanted revolution, now you're the institution, how's it feel to be the man?

PaperNotes
Oct 23, 2007, 02:38 AM

Thanks for the morning laff. Hope the rest of the day is this fun.

brightwindows
Baninated
dealstudio spammer
Oct 23, 2007, 05:01 AM

I think ps3 is more popular at the present.

- - e r i k - -
Posting Junkie
Oct 23, 2007, 05:07 AM

You think wrong

[ fb ] [ flickr ] [] [scl] [ last ] [ plaxo ]

Dakarʒ
Professional Poster
Oct 23, 2007, 08:27 AM

The Phantom will come to rule all.

sek929
Posting Junkie
Oct 23, 2007, 12:37 PM

Originally Posted by goMac View Post
which is a lot easier to deal with because the buttons are geometrically arranged.

How on Earth can you consider the A. B, X, and Y buttons 'geometrically arranged??"

As far as I can tell they broke away from the other controllers by NOT being geometrically arranged.

What is your huge bias for the GC? The games were sweet but the controller left MUCH to be desired from just about everyone I knew that played it.

I've never owned any PS systems, but even I can agree the PS2 controller was fantastic....hell, even the N64 controller was better laid out than the friggin GC.

starman
Clinically Insane
Oct 23, 2007, 01:26 PM

Originally Posted by sek929 View Post

How on Earth can you consider the A. B, X, and Y buttons 'geometrically arranged??"

As far as I can tell they broke away from the other controllers by NOT being geometrically arranged.

What is your huge bias for the GC?
Exactamundo. They'll go so far as to talk about a chaotically laid-out button system and call it "geometrically arranged". That's how much of a fanboy these guys are.

Home - Twitter - Sig Wall-Retired - Flickr

angelmb
Addicted to MacNN
Oct 23, 2007, 02:00 PM

Well, I liked the GC pad, it was really easy to get used to it… A as primary button is bigger than B as secondary button, then you have X and Y just like X axis (horizontal) and Y axis (vertical), I don't know if that reflects gomac's 'geometrically arranged' statement, but makes sense to me.

Dakarʒ
Professional Poster
Oct 23, 2007, 02:18 PM

Now if only they had aligned y and x with their respective axis' correctly. That's what always used to throw me off.

jokell82
Professional Poster
Oct 23, 2007, 03:59 PM

Regardless of layout, it was a damn comfortable controller to hold.

starman
Clinically Insane
Oct 23, 2007, 04:05 PM

Nobody's disputing if it was comfortable, just how fanboys will once again support completely illogical claims just to attempt to prove a point.

Home - Twitter - Sig Wall-Retired - Flickr

angelmb
Addicted to MacNN
Oct 23, 2007, 04:36 PM

Originally Posted by Dakarʒ View Post
Now if only they had aligned y and x with their respective axis' correctly. That's what always used to throw me off.
Well, doesn't it follows the left handed coordinate system?, maybe it is a cultural thing-issue, but that's how I was taught… Anyway, I came back to this thread to check if people got Endless Ocean (Wii) which seems to be a gem and unexpensive, but the thread is kind of derailed again and again…

Dakarʒ
Professional Poster
Oct 23, 2007, 04:44 PM

Originally Posted by angelmb View Post
Well, doesn't it follows the left handed coordinate system?, maybe it is a cultural thing-issue, but that's how I was taught…
Huh?

What I'm saying is y is not at the direct top nor x is at the direct right.

sek929
Posting Junkie
Oct 23, 2007, 05:55 PM

Originally Posted by Dakarʒ View Post
Huh?

What I'm saying is y is not at the direct top nor x is at the direct right.
AND....if your finger uses the A button mostly why are X and Y so far apart? Fat kid fingers?

sek929
Posting Junkie
Oct 23, 2007, 05:56 PM

Originally Posted by jokell82 View Post
Regardless of layout, it was a damn comfortable controller to hold.
Agreed, and the triggers were perfect as well...big and squishy.

Jim Paradise
Mac Elite
Oct 23, 2007, 07:28 PM

I still think the GameCube's controller was the best controller ever. The differently shaped buttons worked really well, and it was very comfortable to use.

- - e r i k - -
Posting Junkie
Oct 23, 2007, 11:55 PM

I've never owned any PS systems, but even I can agree the PS2 controller was fantastic....hell, even the N64 controller was better laid out than the friggin GC.
Now you are smoking crack...

Seriously, the GC was a great controller. The button layout made sense for most games. I also loved the tactile action of the side buttons.

tomjennings83
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Oct 24, 2007, 12:09 AM

i have said it before and ill do it one more time, dont waste your time with consoles and get a gaming computer.

- - e r i k - -
Posting Junkie
Oct 24, 2007, 12:15 AM

Why the hell would you limit yourself to just that? Console games and computer games rarely overlap.

PaperNotes
Oct 24, 2007, 04:05 AM

Exactamundo. They'll go so far as to talk about a chaotically laid-out button system and call it "geometrically arranged". That's how much of a fanboy these guys are.
As geometrically deranged as a fanboy's mind.

The best controller for me is the X Box 360's followed by the PS2 Dual Shock controller and only because of the analogue shoulder buttons that work so well for Colin McRae DIRT. Otherwise it is a close call. Vibration might be better on the X Box 360 controller too. More kick.

PaperNotes
Oct 24, 2007, 04:07 AM

Originally Posted by tomjennings83 View Post
i have said it before and ill do it one more time, dont waste your time with consoles and get a gaming computer.
I recommend a MacBook Pro with Boot Camp for Windows games, an X Box 360 for exclusive titles, a PS3 for exclusive titles and High Def movies, and a Wii if you want to play party games involving alcohol, women, no clothes and wiggling things in the air.

icruise
Moderator Emeritus
Oct 24, 2007, 05:04 AM

I finally got my English version of Halo 3 (look back a few pages for that story) and I find that my Xbox 360 freezes up after a couple of minutes of play. I was hoping it was a fluke, but it happened about 7 times in a row, so I've only been able to play the first 5 minutes of the game. And it appears that it may be my console and not this particular game, since it even froze on the Xbox 360 bootup screen once. I'll have to do some more testing to see for sure if the problem occurs with other games, but so far I am not too happy.

icruise
Moderator Emeritus
Oct 24, 2007, 05:05 AM

Why?

ajprice
Professional Poster
Oct 24, 2007, 06:50 AM

Again, why?

I'd prefer to have a computer for work, media, net and stuff, then a games console to play games on. The clue is in the name... Games Console!

It'll be much easier if you just comply.

jokell82
Professional Poster
Oct 24, 2007, 08:24 AM

The computer is a far superior platform for FPS and MMORPG games, but for anything else the console works great.

sek929
Posting Junkie
Oct 24, 2007, 06:07 PM

Originally Posted by - - e r i k - - View Post
Now you are smoking crack...

Seriously, the GC was a great controller. The button layout made sense for most games. I also loved the tactile action of the side buttons.
I'm not new to the GC controller, trust me. As I've stated previously I found it to be very comfortable and the triggers had a great feel to them. The layout of the buttons is stupid. I've never found myself searching for buttons before but the GC made it happen.

I memorize controllers in geometric shapes. Up with my thumb does one thing, left does another, etc.... Therefore, the buttons should be the same shape, size, and distance away from each other.

It's all tactile feel for me, I guess that isn't the same for others. Having the buttons as two completely different shapes only confused the natural order of my brain.

Eug
Clinically Insane
Oct 24, 2007, 11:59 PM

Originally Posted by icruise View Post
I finally got my English version of Halo 3 (look back a few pages for that story) and I find that my Xbox 360 freezes up after a couple of minutes of play. I was hoping it was a fluke, but it happened about 7 times in a row, so I've only been able to play the first 5 minutes of the game. And it appears that it may be my console and not this particular game, since it even froze on the Xbox 360 bootup screen once. I'll have to do some more testing to see for sure if the problem occurs with other games, but so far I am not too happy.
Get ready for the red ring of death.

Luckily, you probably qualify for the free warranty extension.

- - e r i k - -
Posting Junkie
Oct 25, 2007, 01:19 AM

It's all tactile feel for me, I guess that isn't the same for others. Having the buttons as two completely different shapes only confused the natural order of my brain.
Don't set yourself up for those kinds of jokes

Hawkeye_a  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Oct 25, 2007, 08:56 AM

Speaking of controller layout, ive very happy with the Wii controls.... finally someone invested the time, money and effort into making a more comfortable controller, while taking into account the way the brain coordinates the left and right hands, AND making it simple and ascessible for even more people...thats innovation (as opposed to the quick-fix-look-we-can-look-like-we-innovative-as-well 6-axis). The technology just facilates that purpose, and ill be surprised if M$ and $ony wont implement something very similar soon... regardless of the technology they use, it will tackle the same issues by using a very similar human-device interface imo.

i dont know why we are arguing about the GCN controller, i mean those style controller are so old fashioned and done with... meh whatever...PS2 controller is by far the most popular so i guess more ppl are comfortable with it than the other old-style controllers.
( Last edited by Hawkeye_a; Oct 25, 2007 at 01:04 PM. )

icruise
Moderator Emeritus
Oct 25, 2007, 01:03 PM

Originally Posted by Hawkeye_a View Post
Speaking of controller layout, ive ver happy with the Wii controls....
LOL. It was your comment about controls that started this whole discussion.

Hawkeye_a  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Oct 25, 2007, 06:09 PM

Haha which discussion ? i think there have been quite a few in this thread.

I just said i liked the GCN controller more than Sony's or Microsoft's after using them all.....maybe its cause i had grown accustomed to the GCN controls or maybe my brain understood it's layout better, but it was just my opinion on the old-fashioned controllers. if i had to pick between any of those and the Wii, id pick the Wiimote n nunchuck combo anyday....except for the realy old NES,SNES and Genesis games, in that case the wiimote on it's side or the classic controller are great.

Dakarʒ
Professional Poster
Oct 29, 2007, 09:41 AM

Well, I finally got myself a 360 this weekend (and Halo). I'm actually surprised there isn't a Halo thread around here, as I have quite a few questions/comments and I don't feel like littering this thread.

The short of it is, I'm not entirely impressed by the Matchmaking process, and I can't figure out why I don't have any Hi-Res Screens.

sek929
Posting Junkie
Oct 29, 2007, 12:52 PM

Takes a few days sometimes. However, I still have a few that never showed up, meh.

What's your gamertag, yo?

sek929
Posting Junkie
Oct 29, 2007, 12:53 PM

Also, I played Wii for the first time the other night while I was in Boston.

Wicked fun, might have to save up and get one.

Dakarʒ
Professional Poster
Oct 29, 2007, 01:02 PM

Takes a few days sometimes. However, I still have a few that never showed up, meh.

What's your gamertag, yo?
sekhater666 I'll pm you later

Out of curiosity, apparently I'm hosting a small gig tonight so 4 of us will be playing online at my place. Do I need to worry about bandwith with 4 people instead of 2?

sek929
Posting Junkie
Oct 29, 2007, 01:06 PM

Nope, but nobody better browse the web. My roommate can load Google and make the connection to Live in the red.

Why did I expect you to actually tell me real info? <wink>

Dakarʒ
Professional Poster
Oct 29, 2007, 01:09 PM

Ok, thanks. I've uploaded 6 or so screens since friday night, and my file share works, but of course nothing is showing up on hi-res. Seems to be a sporadic problem.

Also, can anyone explain how Skill Points work? All I read online is you can earn them through ranked matches, which is about as informative as telling someone they can make money by "going to work".

sek929
Posting Junkie
Oct 29, 2007, 03:59 PM

Win either a ranked or unranked match and you get an experience point.

I'm pretty sure you can lose, get the MVP award and get an experience point as well.

Edit: You also get EP from the Campaign.

Dakarʒ
Professional Poster
Oct 29, 2007, 04:04 PM

Yeah, I was asking how skill points work, not experience points.

sek929
Posting Junkie
Oct 29, 2007, 06:25 PM

After searching about wtf a skill point was I am now as confused as you are.

Thanks.

Dakarʒ
Professional Poster
Oct 29, 2007, 06:28 PM

Misery loves company. And Bloody Marys.

jokell82
Professional Poster
Oct 29, 2007, 08:33 PM

Every time you are in a ranked match and win, you get a skill point. If you're in a team match and you're on a winning team, you get a skill point. You lose points when you lose.

That's basically how it works.

Dakarʒ
Professional Poster
Oct 30, 2007, 08:24 AM

Originally Posted by jokell82 View Post
Every time you are in a ranked match and win, you get a skill point. If you're in a team match and you're on a winning team, you get a skill point. You lose points when you lose.

That's basically how it works.
Ok, so it basically rewards you for winning streaks (consistency) since you gain exp for the same things above, but you don't lose exp when your team is defeated.

I'll have to pay closer attention. I could swear I've had it stay where it is after repeated losses.

Side note: Anyone download the pirate infection game? It's worth it for the supernatural jumping alone.

icruise
Moderator Emeritus
Oct 30, 2007, 01:23 PM

I called Xbox customer service about my freezing problem and they told me that the warranty extension only applied to the "three red lights" issue, and because my Xbox 360 is only freezing and sometimes displaying one red light, that I'd have to pay $99 to get it serviced. I told them I'd think about it. I was under the impression that the warranty was extended across the board.

angelmb
Addicted to MacNN
Oct 30, 2007, 01:41 PM

Originally Posted by icruise View Post
I called Xbox customer service about my freezing problem and they told me that the warranty extension only applied to the "three red lights" issue, and because my Xbox 360 is only freezing and sometimes displaying one red light, that I'd have to pay $99 to get it serviced. I told them I'd think about it. I was under the impression that the warranty was extended across the board.
What a joke, if you would want a game system that gave you headaches then you would get a computer instead of a dedicated hardware system which main purpose is to play games.

Dakarʒ
Professional Poster
Oct 30, 2007, 01:48 PM

Is there a way too look at the fine print of the warranty extension and see if she's telling the truth?

Forum Links
Forum Rules