Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Enthusiast Zone > Classic Macs and Mac OS > 6100/60 Monitor Port

6100/60 Monitor Port
Powerbookem
Feb 6, 2001, 03:24 AM

I obtained a used Power Mac 6100/60 that has an unual monitor output port different from newer ones. Where can I purchased such adapter to make it work on a regular Mac or PC monitor and what would it be named under?

Sincerely, Vanessa

jarends
Mac Enthusiast
Feb 6, 2001, 11:24 AM

http://www.refurbmadness.com/ has them for $29.99. There is one for mac monitors, and one for standard pc vga monitors. Click the cables link.

infiniti
Feb 6, 2001, 09:16 PM

If you're interested,the monitor port on the back of a 6100 is referred to as a High-Density Display Port.

The [first generation of] PowerPC-based Macs.. have a special, oversized display port called the AV or high-density port. The AV port is actually a combination monitor, ADB, sound, and video port that was designed for multimedia monitors like Apple's AudioVision 14 Display, which has built-in speakers, a microphone, and places to plug in a keyboard and other peripherals. You need a $30 adapter to connect any other monitor to an AV high-density display port.
Source: The Macintosh Bible, 5th Edition

So there you go. I hope you found that informative.

Good luck,

infiniti
12" iBook 900

jeromep
Dedicated MacNNer
Feb 8, 2001, 02:17 AM

That High-Density Display Port, otherwise known as the monitor connector from hell, was a huge mistake for Apple. Anyone that was smart would get their Mac with the secondary video out card that was really much better than the internal video and didn't require any adapters. Of course what I'm saying reffers to the 7100 and 8100.

Apple's plans were to make that port carry a lot more than just video. They were going to put sound and a lot of other stuff through it, but it never took off.

Too bad Apple is playing the same game again with that display connecter on the back of their new hardware.

Powerbookem
Feb 13, 2001, 05:26 PM

Thanks to all that replied but I dont think I will invest in $30 for a 6100/66 I purchased for $10. Thanks again.

Wetsponge
Feb 14, 2001, 10:53 AM

check ebay, you can find most parts for older computers there, a wonderful trove of good junk. btw, i'm running a linux server from a 6100, it's a great piece of hardware.

jarends
Mac Enthusiast
Feb 14, 2001, 11:13 AM

ten dollars for a 6100 is quite a bargain, usually they sell for quite a bit more than that.

I'd atleast keep it around until you can find an adapter.

olePigeon
Clinically Insane
Feb 23, 2001, 11:04 PM

6100s are great. One of the best Macs, in my opinion. They make great servers and you can take advantage of their low profile. Stick 'em in a closet, under your monitor, under a bench, they're great.

Plus, if you wanna apend the money, you can upgrade it to 240MHz G3 with 128MBs of RAM. That's a formidable computer.
"…I contend that we are both atheists. I just believe in one fewer god than
you do. When you understand why you dismiss all the other possible gods,
you will understand why I dismiss yours." - Stephen F. Roberts

King Chung Huang
Mac Enthusiast
Feb 24, 2001, 01:43 AM

My first Mac was a Power Mac 6100/60AV with an AudioVision 14 display. I thought the HDI-45 port was a great idea. I only needed to plug in one cable, which handled microphone, speaker, adb, s-video, and of course, the video signal. I was actually quite disappointed when it was discontinued. Calling it the "connector from hell" is a little harsh. The new ADC connector does what the HDI-45 connector did, and more. Hopefully, this new one will stick.

RoofusPennymore
Senior User
Feb 24, 2001, 05:03 AM

I think the (single cable monior cord) concept is a good idea and wish Apple had stuck with it. I thought the reason we bought Macs were becasue they were better and ahead of their time?

My PM6100 is still chugging along. Makes a great home server especially with the Newer Tech 9RIP) upgrade. Too bad it probably wont see OSX. :-(
---I'm on a low Microsoft diet.

Powerbookem
Mar 2, 2001, 08:37 PM

Where can I purchase a 240mhz G3 upgrade for this 6100 and how much will that set me back? I understand Newertech went under and is out of business. Thanks

Forum Links
Forum Rules