Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Enthusiast Zone > Gaming > DIABLO 2, help me!!!

DIABLO 2, help me!!!
burntfrog
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Aug 5, 2000, 02:39 AM

Ok, I get the diablo 1.03 update expecting to use RAVE finally, but noooooo, it still doesnt work, what gives? I have a B&W 350 G3.

Trevor Covert
Aug 5, 2000, 03:27 AM

Blizzard has disabled RAVE for Rage 128 cards (which your machine has) because they've found that graphic problems and general instability arise over the course of general play. They believe the problem may lie in ATI's drivers so they're working with ATI to try and correct the problem. Once their QA department has found that the problems no longer exist (after they've either found a bug in D2's code or a driver update has been released which fixes it), then the RAVE option will be enabled for these cards.

mac freak
Mac Elite
Aug 6, 2000, 12:50 AM

What do you mean? I have an iMac 350 with an ATI Rage 128 VR (the stock card), and RAVE is enabled! And not only is it enabled, but the framerate is comparable to that of a PIII 733.

I don't see why you wouldn't have RAVE available, burntfrog... have you tried either of the Mac D2 ATI hacks?
Be happy.

blizzard
Moderator Emeritus
Aug 6, 2000, 05:06 PM

I think Blizzard has cut out RAVE support from PCI Rage 128 cards, not AGP Rage cards such as the one in your computer.
Living, working, and freezing in the Canadian north.

mac freak
Mac Elite
Aug 7, 2000, 02:53 AM

Oh, ok.

Do you know whether RAVE will be enabled on my beige G3/300 desktop when my 64 MB RAM arrives? I can't get a clear picture of the card from the Apple System Profiler. It calls the card "ATY,mach64." If I recall, Mach 64 was an ATI chipset used for Rage 128 cards...

Anyhow, do you know whether the card in this machine is PCI-based? It is the stock card, so I doubt it's occupying a PCI slot. With the recent RAVE improvements in Diablo II 1.03, it is quite fast & stable and I'd like to use it on both of my computers.
Not to mention that OpenGL is pretty darn slow...

Just some dumb questions. If you don't respond, I guess I'll find out for myself in a day or two

Be happy.

Cipher13
Aug 7, 2000, 04:06 AM

Not sure if this is what you're after, but here it is anyway.
http://www.versiontracker.com/redir..../d2ati.sit.hqx

Cipher13

blizzard
Moderator Emeritus
Aug 7, 2000, 11:55 AM

Your beige G3 uses a RAGE Pro that lies directly on the MoBo, and does not occupy a PCI slot as you said. As it is a RAGE Pro and not a 128, I think it should work fine, if a little slowly. Your iMac would be able to play the game faster, I'd imagine, so unless you have a new video card planned for a purchase in the near future, stick with the iMac for now.

P.S I have a Rage II+ and it identifies mine as a ATY/mach64 as well.
Living, working, and freezing in the Canadian north.

mac freak
Mac Elite
Aug 7, 2000, 04:57 PM

Well, I knew that...
I'm just planning to play multiplayer on my two computers. I've been playing on the iMac since the day after the Mac D2 release, and the v1.03 patch helped the RAVE framerate tremendously, which makes playing it on my beige G3/300/96 MB sound more realistic (if RAVE is available).
Be happy.

Warp
Aug 7, 2000, 07:27 PM

This is what the System Profiler reports on my beige 266 MHz ,128 RAM comp:

Slot $F1
Display card
Card type: display
Card name: ATY,mach64_3DUPro
Card model: ATY,GT-C
Card ROM #: 113-XXXXX-1.1
Card revision: 92
Card vendor ID: 1002
VRAM size: 6 MB

I know for a fact that I have a ATI Rage Pro card and that I have upgraded it to the maxium amount of VRAM, namely 6 MB. That makes it possible for me to run in RAVE or OpenGL modes in several 3D games, for example Quake 1, UT, Myth II, etc, etc.

But as far as I can tell, Diablo 2 only allows for hardware rendering IF you have a 8 MB VRAM..... :/

Is that right or can you actually get hardware rendering on a 6 MB ATI Rage Pro card?? Has anyone tried it them selvs? (I haven't been able to do it yet, since SWEDEN is so *late* when it comes to mac game releases.....)

If you have what was the results? Is that card too slow? Or was i playable? How about software rendering? Is that good/ok?

Trevor Covert
Aug 8, 2000, 03:10 AM

Diablo II requires about 4.5 MB of VRAM on your graphics card, so I think they set the limit at 6 MB cards. The game looks just fine in software; only certain elements are even hardware-accelerated when those modes are used. I won't lie and say that software looks better than hardware, but it certainly doesn't detract from the experience if you're forced (or choose) to go with software.

Lunchbox
Aug 14, 2000, 02:25 PM

Has anyone noticed any funkieness since upgrading to 1.03? I've had a number of very odd bugs since I updated. Just wondering...

Evangellydonut
Mac Elite
Aug 14, 2000, 04:21 PM

nope. but maybe that's why they released 1.03b...
G4/450, T-bird 1.05GHz, iBook 500, iBook 233...4 different machines, 4 different OSes...(9, 2k, X.1, YDL2.2 respectively) PiA to maintain...

iDennis
Aug 16, 2000, 10:53 AM

I don't know why(and this is a first too).

I recently bought Diablo 2 at the same time as my friend did.

I have a Pismo( G3 500Mhz) with a Gig of ram
He has a new Dell 800 Mhz with GeForce Video Card and a 17"monitor.

When I installed D2 on my comp I didn't arise to any problems at all.

With his comp it was differn't. First it wouldn't Run, Than the video would get scrambled. But now that he has it running. Iv noticed that the gameing speeds are almost the same and I have Rave on and all the Video Settings Set to the max.

I also notice that My video Quality is better than his. Not just a little bit, but you can actually notice the differnce if side by side.

Is his computer Not working properly maybe?
Or wut. Cause I was Pretty surpised at how my Pismo Didn't have any problems with the game while a new Dell did.

jere_69
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jul 24, 2006, 08:46 AM

hi, i would like to know if it is possible to play diablo2 on a rage 128 VR (agp). i know, it is really old so probably not, its cuz when i do the video test it says that tere are no video modes found.

eevyl
Grizzled Veteran
Jul 24, 2006, 11:17 AM

OMG Zombie thread!!! and a pretty rotten one indeed, 5 years old and rescued!

In my humild opinion this time a new thread was justified, anyway not sure what graphics card do you mean, which Mac is that we are talking about?

Forum Links
Forum Rules