Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > quick question about 12" PB

quick question about 12" PB
duboy
Dedicated MacNNer
May 9, 2003, 03:27 AM

how easy is it to upgrade the HD down the road? and what size drives does it take? sorry if this is covered already. i'm just curious since if i get the PB soon, i might want to upgrade HD sometime. is it feasible by a consumer who knows comp hardware? or do i need special tools etc to get it open?thanks!

Spheric Harlot
Clinically Insane
May 9, 2003, 03:45 AM

It is, apparently, not for the faint of heart.

See here:

http://www.kodawarisan.com/ug/PowerBook/index.html

-s*

Shaddim
Clinically Insane
May 9, 2003, 07:51 AM

Knowing PC/Desktop hardware isn't the same as knowing notebook hardware. I've take apart hundreds of the little rascals (I'm a tech at an Apple service center), and the PB12 isn't an easy take-apart like the TiBook or earlier PBs. It's not as bad as the iBooks, but it has it's own issues. To remove the existing 40GB HD in the 12 you basically have to disassemble most of the unit. Not to mention, taking it apart yourself will void your warranty (and we can easily tell if it's been done before). I suppose though, if you have a steady hand, grounding strap, a couple different small torx and phillips drivers, and a credit card or other thin plastic tool, a person can do it themselves. Those ribbon cables inside are easy to tear and the PCBs are very fragile and suspceptable to undue pressures and driver "slips". That said, if you want it done during your warranty period, get a certified tech to do it. They should be able to replace the HD in less than an hour. If you want data transferred from your old drive, the length of time on that would vary based on how much data is on the old drive.

I replaced the HD in my 12 with an IBM 80GB, and it's quite a bit faster than the Fujitsu 40GB that came in it. It took me about 45 minutes, plus 1 1/2 hours to transfer data via firewire.
"Those who expect to reap the blessings of freedom must, like men, undergo the fatigue of supporting it."
- Thomas Paine

duboy  (op)
Dedicated MacNNer
May 9, 2003, 11:35 AM

mmm, yes, i can't read japanese, but those pictures say enough. i am normally not too squeamish about computer stuff, but wow it does look complicated. def a job for a pro. so the 12" is pretty warm already right? does the larger disk drive make it worse? is it 5400?

ibook_steve
May 9, 2003, 01:36 PM

I have to disagree with MacNStein. I've taken a number of the 12" apart and it's really not that bad. Getting to the hard drive is a matter of just removing the top case, not taking most of the machine apart as implied. Getting the optical drive out is another story that is much more difficult. Of course it will void your warranty, but it's not that hard: remove screws to remove the keyboard then remove the screws to remove the top case (includes those hex screws in the upper right and left corner of the keyboard). Then it's just a couple more to remove the hard drive and mounting bracket. Not simple, but nothing like cracking open an iBook, something I hope I never have to do again!

Steve

Shaddim
Clinically Insane
May 9, 2003, 03:28 PM

Ugh... I'm so sorry, you're right. I was thinking about the 12" iBook with all the damned shields.

Boys and girls, see what happens when you don't get enough sleep.

BTW, the larger drive doesn't run any hotter than the original. It spins at the same 4200RPM, just has a lot more cache.
"Those who expect to reap the blessings of freedom must, like men, undergo the fatigue of supporting it."
- Thomas Paine

Forum Links
Forum Rules