Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Applications > .mac public password

.mac public password
skin
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jan 10, 2004, 04:02 PM

I want to use the public part of my .mac account to allow people from the tennis club i'm a member of to download things like members telephones numbers etc. Because this is sensitive information I want to password protect this and then pass on the password to the relevant people. The problem I have had is that I have set up a public password, but it doesn't work - the only password that works is the one to .mac itself which is not one I want to give away. I have kept changing it in the preferences in 10.31 with no success - anyone any ideas - is it anything to do with permissions, is it worth repairing them?

car1son
Mac Enthusiast
Jan 10, 2004, 11:37 PM

My experience is 10.1-10.2, sorry no Panther.

When you enter a public folder password in the iDisk system preferences/internet panel, you must also click "Apply Now" for it to have effect.

To connect to the public iDisk, you use Finder's Connect-to-server and enter http://idisk.mac.com/username-Public, and when prompted for a password, enter user name "public" and the public folder password. (You can also access another user's iDisk public folder from the Address Book if you have the iDisk user's name and .mac email address in the Address Book.)

From 10.3 I've read that you have a "Other User's Public folder" as a sub-menu to iDisk on the Go menu.

typoon
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 12, 2004, 05:43 PM

If you go into the system prefs and click on .Mac icon then click on iDisk there is an option to use a password to protect your public folder. then there is a button to set the password.
"Evil is Powerless If the Good are Unafraid." -Ronald Reagan

Apple and Intel, the dawning of a NEW era.

skin  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Feb 18, 2004, 08:13 AM

Just an update in case anyone who looks at this has the same problem as me. First I would like to thank the two people who answered. Although in each case they mentioned things I had already done they both confirmed that what i had done was right. It turns out what I had not done correctly was get the settings on idisk utility correct. So if you have the same problem as me and have done what has been suggested in the two replies check the setting in idisk utility

Forum Links
Forum Rules