Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Desktops > New iMac features

New iMac features
yaroldb
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jan 8, 2007, 11:54 AM

I recently switched from my PC laptop to a Macbook about 7 months ago. Being new to Mac, it took me a while to adjust but now that I have I love it. Saturday morning I wake up to find my desktop PC had crashed. This is the 7th time in the last 3 months. I am done with PC. I hate it at this point. So I went out and purchase a brand new 20 inch C2D iMac. I got it home and looked at the receipt and noticed there was a 10% re-stocking fee if I opened and returned it. I also noticed that Macworld started today. The entire weekend the box remained in the office, unopened. It was the hardest thing in the world. I get to work today only to find out that the Keynote speech will not be until Tuesday.... Urg!

My question… Is it worth it to wait? I mean does anyone really think Apple will upgrade the iMac again this soon? If anything I need support, I mean it's one more day. You Mac lovers out there know what I am going through.
( Last edited by yaroldb; Jan 8, 2007 at 12:40 PM. )
-8gb Iphone
-iMac 20inch 2.16GhzC2D 2Gb Ram, 500GB HD
-White Macbook 2.0GhzCD 2GB Ram, 120GB HD
-White 30GB iPod Video
-Black 30GB iPod Video

WOPR
Grizzled Veteran
Jan 8, 2007, 12:35 PM

I doubt they will but these days you never know - I'd wait if I were you.

 iMac Core 2 Duo 17" 2ghz 3gb/250gb ||  iBook G4 12" 1.33ghz 1gb/40gb

centerchannel68
Baninated
Jan 8, 2007, 12:44 PM

Just get drunk, and pass out. You'll wake up tomorrow.

scaught
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 8, 2007, 01:56 PM

I think (don't quote me on this) you can return it if you get hit with the upgrade within 7 days of purchase or something, I think I read something to that extent at some point. I don't think the imacs are due for an upgrade though...

(this is the most useless post ever made on a messageboard.)

arng1
Forum Regular
Jan 9, 2007, 12:11 AM

Im in a similar boat. I feel your pain.

k squared
Dedicated MacNNer
Jan 9, 2007, 12:43 AM

Even though they were recently upgraded to the Core 2 Duo, this has been the venue when new iMacs are introduced: the sunflower, the current design, and the current design w/ intel.

Pierre B.
Grizzled Veteran
Jan 9, 2007, 07:57 AM

Originally Posted by yaroldb View Post
My question… Is it worth it to wait? I mean does anyone really think Apple will upgrade the iMac again this soon? If anything I need support, I mean it's one more day. You Mac lovers out there know what I am going through.
WAIT! I could not believe that Apple would update the iMac until I saw yesterday a new rumor, put in the form of a riddle, which seems to be about the iMacs among other things. This tells me that it probably holds water. JUST WAIT, the show is today.

mduell
Posting Junkie
Jan 9, 2007, 09:05 AM

iMac updates are unlikely; I'd estimate another 2 months before they're updated.

Sounds like your PC has failing hardware; caps looking nice and bloated?

Pierre B.
Grizzled Veteran
Jan 9, 2007, 09:31 AM

Originally Posted by mduell View Post
iMac updates are unlikely; I'd estimate another 2 months before they're updated.
Even longer I would say. However the riddle points to a new form factor, not just update. Yes, too good to be true, but the last time Apple teased people directly from its home, like they do now, was just before the radical form factor change iMac G3 --> iMac G4.

Anyway, just a few hours and we will know if it was someone with real info or some kid playing with people's minds.

CheesePuff
Professional Poster
Jan 9, 2007, 10:20 AM

I agree, I don't think there will be an update to the iMac line for another 2-3 months.

yaroldb  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jan 9, 2007, 10:54 AM

Yeah I made it....

I am at work now so I can not open it. It was to say the least a very difficult night. Let's cross our fingers for something new and great from Apple today!

Thanks for the support.
-8gb Iphone
-iMac 20inch 2.16GhzC2D 2Gb Ram, 500GB HD
-White Macbook 2.0GhzCD 2GB Ram, 120GB HD
-White 30GB iPod Video
-Black 30GB iPod Video

Pierre B.
Grizzled Veteran
Jan 9, 2007, 11:41 AM

OK, the guy with the riddle showed up again today just to confirm that the new iMac holds all the answers. Not just an update of the existing line but a new generation, from what I can understand.

Pierre B.
Grizzled Veteran
Jan 9, 2007, 07:12 PM

Needless to say that the riddle game was finally a farce.

centerchannel68
Baninated
Jan 9, 2007, 07:59 PM

YAY! NOTHING WHATSOEVER! NOT EVEN SLIGHT TWEAKS ! YAY! LETS KEEP THEM EXACTLY THE SAME FOR A YEAR OR TWO SO THEY BECOME SUPER OUTDATED!

ARgh.

Pierre B.
Grizzled Veteran
Jan 10, 2007, 04:49 AM

Originally Posted by centerchannel68 View Post
YAY! NOTHING WHATSOEVER! NOT EVEN SLIGHT TWEAKS ! YAY! LETS KEEP THEM EXACTLY THE SAME FOR A YEAR OR TWO SO THEY BECOME SUPER OUTDATED!

ARgh.
I am afraid I don't see exactly what you are trying to say. The iMacs have been updated just a few months ago.

P
Jan 11, 2007, 07:17 AM

Originally Posted by Pierre B. View Post
I am afraid I don't see exactly what you are trying to say. The iMacs have been updated just a few months ago.
Excluding the 24" iMac, that was just a minor refresh. They still use a GPU that isn't even sold any more (it was replaced by X1650 series, which admittedly is more or less the same but clocked higher). No, an iMac refresh is coming within a month or two, I think.

Pierre B.
Grizzled Veteran
Jan 11, 2007, 04:42 PM

Originally Posted by P View Post
No, an iMac refresh is coming within a month or two, I think.
Make that three or four to be sure. I think Apple would wait for Santa Rosa before update the iMacs. Not sooner than end of April I would say.

amru
Forum Regular
Jan 12, 2007, 04:28 AM

wht riddle is everyone talking about? i see people always posting abuot it.. but i have no idea.

P
Jan 12, 2007, 01:00 PM

Santa Rosa? Next version of Intel's mobile chipset, will be named 965M officially and be part of the third revision of the Centrino platform. It does a lot of things, most importantly it raises the RAM ceiling from the current 3 GB. It will also boost the speed of the memory bus to 800 MHz while letting it clock down to save energy. Since the iMac uses laptop parts, it will affect it as well.

If the iMac will keep using laptop parts, then maybe Apple should just wait for Santa Rosa and update Macbook Pro and iMac at the same time. I hope that Apple will instead switch to Conroe, the desktop version of Core 2, which also runs quite cool, to be able to slash prices on the iMacs. The coming updates of Conroe (to 4 MB cache in the current low-end versions as well, a new lower-end Allendale chip with a slower bus and a faster FSB in the high end) will make the speed and price difference versus Merom (the laptop version) even bigger, and I think Apple can design a cooling system/throttling algorithm that will let the iMac use it quietly.

mduell
Posting Junkie
Jan 12, 2007, 09:06 PM

Originally Posted by P View Post
Santa Rosa? Next version of Intel's mobile chipset, will be named 965M officially and be part of the third revision of the Centrino platform. It does a lot of things, most importantly it raises the RAM ceiling from the current 3 GB. It will also boost the speed of the memory bus to 800 MHz while letting it clock down to save energy. Since the iMac uses laptop parts, it will affect it as well.
Latest I've seen says it will be marketed as 965GM/965PM (with and without integrated graphics), and support 4GB 667Mhz memory (but an 800Mhz FSB).

Forum Links
Forum Rules