Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > macOS > FTP Upload

FTP Upload
littlevish
Mar 25, 2007, 11:35 PM

Anyway to do this without downloading and FTP client. I have tried going to Go and then connect to server in the finder but it doesn't work with my server.

BTW, I've only been using OS X for about two weeks. I love it but still learnin'

Tenacious Dyl
Mac Enthusiast
Mar 26, 2007, 01:28 AM

you can use Safari (or *shudder* even internet explorer) just go to the ftp part of the site (ie: ftp.yoursite.com) , hit enter, and input the account / pass!
yep.

PurpleGiant
Mac Elite
Mar 26, 2007, 01:30 AM

The Finder only supports FTP downloading, not uploading. Safari will use the Finder for FTP, so that isn't a solution either.

Try Cyberduck (free) or Transmit (not free) to upload via FTP.

besson3c
Clinically Insane
Mar 26, 2007, 01:51 AM

There are many FTP clients available within OS X, and one built in (the Unix command line FTP client).

However, I would suggest avoiding them if you can. If your provider offers SFTP as an option, this would be far better, as when you connect via FTP you are sending your password in the clear (i.e. unencrypted).

FTP needs to die, it is 2007 now, unencrypted protocols of this nature are unacceptable.
( Last edited by besson3c; Mar 26, 2007 at 02:00 AM. )

peeb
Addicted to MacNN
Mar 26, 2007, 02:23 AM

I don't know, is it any worse than a lot of email in terms of security?

wadesworld
Grizzled Veteran
Mar 26, 2007, 04:29 PM

You can ftp from the command-line as well.

Big Mac
Clinically Insane
Mar 26, 2007, 04:53 PM

Originally Posted by peeb View Post
Not really, unless your server allows for a secure connection, but that doesn't make it better.

"The natural progress of things is for liberty to yield and government to gain ground." TJ

littlevish  (op)
Mar 27, 2007, 09:26 PM

So what are your suggestions?

The command line isn't useful to me, since I am uploading large folders from iWeb (I don't have a .mac account) and it would take hours using command line.

jmiddel
Grizzled Veteran
Mar 27, 2007, 09:40 PM

As PurpleGiant suggests, use Cyberduck. I do, it works great and is free as mentioned. Yes, it would be better to have SFTP available, but it's not.

besson3c
Clinically Insane
Mar 27, 2007, 10:45 PM

If your email is SSL encrypted, yes, it is worse. Any encrypted protocol where sensitive information is transferred is better than an unencrypted one.

besson3c
Clinically Insane
Mar 27, 2007, 10:46 PM

Originally Posted by jmiddel View Post
As PurpleGiant suggests, use Cyberduck. I do, it works great and is free as mentioned. Yes, it would be better to have SFTP available, but it's not.
Cyberduck supports SFTP.

peeb
Addicted to MacNN
Mar 28, 2007, 04:16 PM

Originally Posted by besson3c View Post
If your email is SSL encrypted, yes, it is worse. Any encrypted protocol where sensitive information is transferred is better than an unencrypted one.
Right, but a lot of email isn't ssl - I know mine is not.

mitchell_pgh
Posting Junkie
Mar 28, 2007, 04:33 PM

Cyberduck or Transmit

FTP is fine for anything you don't mind everyone seeing.

besson3c
Clinically Insane
Mar 28, 2007, 04:50 PM

Right, but a lot of email isn't ssl - I know mine is not.
Really? That is pretty lame... I manage email servers for over 120,000 users on a pretty limited budget and we manage to provide SSL IMAP and SSL/TLS SMTP (and actually require this). Who is your email provider? What gives you the impression that this is commonplace?

besson3c
Clinically Insane
Mar 28, 2007, 04:53 PM

Originally Posted by mitchell_pgh View Post
Cyberduck or Transmit

FTP is fine for anything you don't mind everyone seeing.

I disagree, because if your account is compromised by somebody who wishes to use it for malicious purposes to cover their tracks, this creates a lot of stress in having your identity stolen.

Do not exchange any password in non-encrypted protocols, period. The exception is forum passwords and stuff where even if your account is compromised, the damage that can be done is extremely limited.

OreoCookie
Mar 28, 2007, 05:47 PM

How about using sshfs via FUSE? You need a small app to log into the other computer, but then it mounts on the desktop just like any other network share.

It also offers an ftp plugin, but ssh is much more secure and many web hosts offer ssh access.
I don't suffer from insanity, I enjoy every minute of it.

besson3c
Clinically Insane
Mar 28, 2007, 06:12 PM

Originally Posted by OreoCookie View Post
How about using sshfs via FUSE? You need a small app to log into the other computer, but then it mounts on the desktop just like any other network share.

It also offers an ftp plugin, but ssh is much more secure and many web hosts offer ssh access.
Good suggestion!

voiceofra
Forum Regular
Mar 28, 2007, 06:24 PM

Originally Posted by PurpleGiant View Post
The Finder only supports FTP downloading, not uploading. Safari will use the Finder for FTP, so that isn't a solution either.
Not true at all.

I use this method all the time for a quick connect to my ftp servers or for online editing of php and html files.

besson3c
Clinically Insane
Mar 28, 2007, 06:45 PM

Originally Posted by voiceofra View Post
Not true at all.

I use this method all the time for a quick connect to my ftp servers or for online editing of php and html files.

When you connect to them, is your IP/server name prefaced with "ftp://"?

digitalcraftsman
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Mar 30, 2007, 01:20 PM

Sorry voiceofra, uploads are disabled in the Finder as of 10.4.9.

As others have stated, you must use a client like Cyberduck or Fetch to modify files via FTP.

To clarify another misconception being posted here, FTP was never meant to protect login and passwords. It is merely File Transfer Protocol, and accomplishes its goal succinctly. Secure FTP was designed to address the security issues inherent in plain FTP, however the encryption will indeed slow down your transfer, and usually does so significantly. The reality is that you are probably not the server admin, and you can't force them to use SFTP if it is not offered (no shell access).

If high speed file transfers over the internet are your goal, then setting up anonymous FTP is a great solution. Anon FTP lets any user connect, and does not require sacrificing user login info on the server. Good FTP servers like PureFTPd have options that will ensure that any uploaded file will not be available for download by a third party. This prevents warez kids from using your FTP server as a drop zone. No passwords to compromise, no worries about exploits, and good documentation.

Why FTP server admins use actual machine logins or any passwords at all is a mystery to me. With some Watched Folders and AppleScripts, you can have a elegant solution with anonymous FTP.

besson3c
Clinically Insane
Mar 30, 2007, 01:42 PM

There is also regular FTP with an SSL cert/layer, but it is less common than SFTP

OreoCookie
Mar 30, 2007, 04:25 PM

Yes, but it's not really used by anyone. sftp is painless to set up for admins since most of them have enabled ssh access anyway (in my environment which is based on Solaris, MacOS X or Linux).

sftp may be slower at times (especially when transferring lots of small files), it gets the job done -- in particular if all you want to do is change some html files on your home page.
I don't suffer from insanity, I enjoy every minute of it.

Forum Links
Forum Rules