Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Applications > How do I uninstall Stuffit Deluxe ?

How do I uninstall Stuffit Deluxe ?
Hawkeye_a
Addicted to MacNN
Oct 5, 2006, 05:14 AM

Alright i've had this application for awhile. The older versions were awesome in the OS9 days. Now, i have no use for it. It's slow, inefficient, and has put files everywhere on my system (Sys. prefs., menu bar, etc)...and i cant find a "clean" way to get rid of it completely.

Anyone know how to uninstall this application ?

Cheers

Hawkeye_a  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Oct 5, 2006, 05:28 AM

Nevermind. figured it out. remembered that installed are also uninstallers.

majordude
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jun 1, 2007, 09:22 PM

Originally Posted by Hawkeye_a View Post
Nevermind. figured it out. remembered that installed are also uninstallers.
Huh? Installed are also uninstallers?

I can't get Stuffit off my system!
 17-inch MacBook Pro with 2.33GHz Intel Core 2 Duo, 2GB RAM and fast 7200 100GB HD
"Any major dude with half a heart surely will tell you my friend..." — Steely Dan

voiceofra
Forum Regular
Jun 2, 2007, 01:59 AM

Originally Posted by majordude View Post
Huh? Installed are also uninstallers?

I can't get Stuffit off my system!
In most cases, if the app is of a non-drag n drop nature (like Stuffit), when the app is already on the system, "Uninstall" becomes an option instead of install.

Alternatively, drag it to the trash, then use spotlight to look for the files (plist, prefs etc). That works for me, anyhoo.

majordude
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jun 2, 2007, 11:03 AM

Originally Posted by voiceofra View Post
In most cases, if the app is of a non-drag n drop nature (like Stuffit), when the app is already on the system, "Uninstall" becomes an option instead of install. Alternatively, drag it to the trash, then use spotlight to look for the files (plist, prefs etc). That works for me, anyhoo.
That couldn't possibly have worked for you. Stuffit Deluxe does not have an uninstall script and dragging the folder to the trash leaved hidden files and addons to menues and toolbars. Spotlight does not see the hidden files.

I finally found a nuker that runs a script that gets rid of the damned thing: NukeStuffitMac (and before you go thinking this is a trojan because of the name... it was created by Stuffit themselves!!! Even they know how hard it is to get their crap off your system!!!)

Here's more on MacRumors.
 17-inch MacBook Pro with 2.33GHz Intel Core 2 Duo, 2GB RAM and fast 7200 100GB HD
"Any major dude with half a heart surely will tell you my friend..." — Steely Dan

Forum Links
Forum Rules