Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > Need advice

Need advice
janny6
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jun 12, 2007, 07:53 PM

Ok, I will start out by saying that I am not in the least techie. Have always relied on son or husband to fix my computer when I had trouble. I have an iBook G4, OSX. It can run really slow. Is there a way (pardon my ignorance) to reformat? It is a couple years old, and I play lots of games on it. I appreciate your help.

janny6

yaroldb
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jun 13, 2007, 11:23 AM

janny6,

Lets start with the specs. What is the processor speed? How much memory? What version of OS X? This information can be found when you when you click on the apple icon on the top left of your screen and click on about this Mac. Also, what games do you play?
-8gb Iphone
-iMac 20inch 2.16GhzC2D 2Gb Ram, 500GB HD
-White Macbook 2.0GhzCD 2GB Ram, 120GB HD
-White 30GB iPod Video
-Black 30GB iPod Video

janny6  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jun 14, 2007, 11:17 AM

1.42 GHz PowerPCG4, memory 512 MB

Machine Name: iBook G4
Machine Model: PowerBook6,7
CPU Type: PowerPC G4 (1.5)
Number Of CPUs: 1
CPU Speed: 1.42 GHz
L2 Cache (per CPU): 512 KB
Memory: 512 MB
Bus Speed: 142 MHz

Mostly play puzzle games, and sample free games online. Not into interactive games, (Except ocassionally Sims)
Boot ROM Version: 4.9.3f0

Sudden Motion Sensor:
State: Enabled
Version: 1.0

Does this help?

JonoMarshall
Senior User
Jun 14, 2007, 12:08 PM

Your 512mb of RAM/Memory could do with upgrading as it's most likely the cause of your bottlenecked system.

I'm not sure what size iBook you have, but here's the link for you to select it for yourself and see your RAM options/pricing. (Shop around though)

Link to OWC iBook RAM Upgrades

You'll need to check the memory under "About this mac" to see if you already have a spare slot free, or whether you'll have to swap out an old stick and replace it (you may have 2x 256mb currently installed).

JonoMarshall
Senior User
Jun 14, 2007, 12:14 PM

Silly me, it's a 1.42, so it's a 14inch iBook!

BTW, installing the RAM yourself is fairly easy... you undo a couple of screws on the keyboard, turn the keyboard over, gently life the existing RAM stick out and replace it with the new one.

Find a guide below (although it's not for your specific model, a RAM upgrade should be no different on the slower/older iBook):

Link to iBook Guide

peeb
Addicted to MacNN
Jun 14, 2007, 12:17 PM

How much free space do you have on your hard drive? This should be a relatively fast machine for the tasks you describe - I agree with the posters above that your RAM is insufficient.

Forum Links
Forum Rules