Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > macOS > Opening a file using a "right click+open with.. function"

Opening a file using a "right click+open with.. function"
macdummy
Feb 12, 2006, 08:54 PM

i have a certain bug that is kind of irritating me and i don't know how to solve it.

the problem is when i use a particular function out of the right click's set of menus. every now and then i find a video that does not open up with the default quicktime player. so i right click and choose 'open with' and usually pick VLC.

but now i have doubles of every option. 2xvlc, 2xreal player, 2xwindows media player, 2x mplayer.

how do i get rid of the duplicates?

dtriska
Mac Elite
Feb 13, 2006, 04:41 AM

Originally Posted by macdummy
i have a certain bug that is kind of irritating me and i don't know how to solve it.

the problem is when i use a particular function out of the right click's set of menus. every now and then i find a video that does not open up with the default quicktime player. so i right click and choose 'open with' and usually pick VLC.

but now i have doubles of every option. 2xvlc, 2xreal player, 2xwindows media player, 2x mplayer.

how do i get rid of the duplicates?
Your Launch Services database has gone wonky. I fixed mine just yesterday.

You can use some freeware and shareware utilities such as Cocktail to do this, but I used an AppleScript I found here. Don't worry; it's quick and painless.

SSharon
Professional Poster
Feb 13, 2006, 10:29 AM

Did you happen to plug in an external drive that has all those apps on it?
AT&T iPhone 5S and 6; 13" MBP; MDD G4.

macdummy  (op)
Feb 13, 2006, 12:31 PM

great dtriska! it worked.

and yes ssharon, i believe you are correct with the external drive. i was moving a lot of old backed up data into my new HD and after i was finished i noticed the problem.

Big Mac
Clinically Insane
Feb 13, 2006, 12:47 PM

Be aware that if you want to permanently change the application association for a given file or a whole file type, use the Open With function of Get Info.

"The natural progress of things is for liberty to yield and government to gain ground." TJ

Forum Links
Forum Rules