Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > macOS > Panther Locks Up - Move Mouse But Nothing Else

Panther Locks Up - Move Mouse But Nothing Else (Page 3)
badtz
Mac Elite
Mar 15, 2004, 11:07 PM

my freeze doesn't come from itunes, but when I mount something, or there's a LOT of disk activity.....

hmmmm........

Footy
Mac Elite
Mar 16, 2004, 12:36 AM

crashed twice today after my 10.3.3 update as well. Can't remember everything I had opened but my last crash came when I click on iTunes window in the back ground. I'm about to go PC! OK I didn't mean that.

Azzgunther
Dedicated MacNNer
Mar 16, 2004, 04:13 AM

Originally posted by Footy:
I'm about to go PC! OK I didn't mean that.

At least your computer wouldn't crash daily! At least you could network with Windows users without a headache! The ONLY option for many of us is to just use 10.3.0. For that I'm pissed off as hell at Apple. Learning that people are still freezing in 10.3.3 is UNEXCUSABLE. I'm starting to consider a re-install of 10.2.8.

Zim
Senior User
Mar 16, 2004, 09:56 AM

Originally posted by Link:
10.3.3 does NOT fix this issue. I've confirmed it

For me, 75% of the times when I have itunes playing either internet radio OR regular music, and happen to be mounting an external disk or disk image.. the comp freezes...

Just like candy..

*sigh* apple's programmers are begining to annoy me. They must code with their asses or something.
I was disappointed to not see it listed in the fix-list. I reported this bloody thing to them back around Thanksgiving (not the why, just the fact thatit was happening).. should have been plenty of time.

Sigh.. oh well, since doing the crashreporter hack, I've experienced 0 lock-ups.

Mike

sean ross
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Mar 18, 2004, 01:59 PM

I have a 933 mhz g4, and am having the same problem. Itunes is always on when it happens and I have the audio kicks in and kicks out a few times, and then finally everything just stops. I use photoshop alot along with safari, camino, mail, stickies and some other apps.

I just reinstalled the system with archive and install and I also repaired permissions and did the crashreporter shut-off thing. I have 10.3.3 and went back to older airport 3.1. Still crashing like crazy. So far, photoshop and itunes are the only links. They are both running every time I crash (which isn't unusual since I am a retoucher)

please help us Apple. I have lost at least 8 hours of productive time this week alone from installing/crashing/troubleshooting. This computer is my main earning tool, and I can't afford it not to function properly (and i cannot afford to replace it either)

For now, I will stop using Itunes (uugh!) and work silently in PS.../

cybergoober
Mac Elite
Mar 18, 2004, 03:53 PM

Add me to the list. TiBook that my wife uses will do this very thing every once in a while.
Usually only Safari or IE are open. Always (to the best of my knowledge) happens when we are both online.

TiBook 667, 512 MB RAM, 30 GB HD, AirPort Card
Mac OS X 10.3.2 (haven't has a chance to update that machine yet)
AirPort software v. 3.3.1 (I think)
Stuff always running
ShapeShifter
Metallifizer
SideTrack
Stuffit Deluxe
FUSKey

Linksys WRT54G/ Cox High Speed Internet (Cable)

NEVER happens on TiBook 867, 512 RAM, 40 GB HDD
Mac OS X 10.3.3
AirPort 3.3.1
Stuff always running
ShapeShifter
Metallifizer
SideTrack
Stuffit Deluxe
FUSKey

saranwarp
Forum Regular
Mar 18, 2004, 05:02 PM

Just happened for me when I was importing a CD. I was running Safari, iTunes, and that's it. A song was playing, and it would go for 30 seconds of silence or so, then 1 second of music, then another silence, and so on. I rebooted after about two minutes. 15" Al, 1 GHz, 10.3.2.

bigwinky
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Mar 20, 2004, 04:15 AM

Ditto.... and even worse with the 10.3.3 update!!! About 5-15 times a day. It has started to crash regularly when playing MOHAA online as well, without any other apps running in the background.

iMac G3 500mhz, linksys router, fairly heavy internet use/downloads.

affected apps...
safari
address book
itunes
explorer
quicktime
entourage
iphoto
imovie
preview
mohaa
!?!? SYSTEM PREFERENCES ?!?!
terminal
bittorent
movie player
windows media player

Come to think of it, just about every app I use semi-regularly has crashed at least once. Here's the real sad part... I've spent more time trying to diagnose this problem the last two months than I have spent fixing a windows machine throughout the past year!

Please someone at Apple do something, and if you dont have a fix yet, please at least acknowledge the problem so at least we all know your listening. I've reported this to Apple 10 times already........

this is the first time I've ever had a problem with apple in 15 years, and this is a fairly big one in comparison with the hundreds of issues ive had with ...Micro..aughh my ears are bleeding...soft.
Outlaw big shiney mufflers.

krove
Mac Elite
Mar 20, 2004, 11:08 AM

Ugh... 10.3.3 still crashes. I'm trying turning off crashreporterd, so we'll see how that goes.

Yesterday I crashed with iTunes open (and Word, Adobe Illustrator, and Safari) and after a hard re-boot (no SSH access), my iTunes library was corrupted. Ugh...

How did it come to this? Goodbye PowerPC. | sensory output

ImpishLM
Forum Regular
Mar 20, 2004, 11:15 AM

I had the freeze for quite a while after installing the original Panther, but eventually resolved the issue by using Panther Cache Cleaner to clean up system caches.

Unfortunately, the freeze has reappeared after updating to 10.3.3

In Apple's forum, the freeze was thought to be a problem with Crash Reporter. When users turned that off, many -- but not all -- saw the problem disappear.

I never did turn my off... as cleaning the cache seemed to fix it for me. I haven't tried that route again yet, but will let you know if I do.
'Tis a sin to kill a mockingbird

Zitax
Forum Regular
Mar 20, 2004, 04:32 PM

I have a theory on this, people with laptops can confirm.
It's a heating problem, the issue dont happen until in bed putting TiBook on legs and it starts warming up and bang, welcome freeze, but having it windy makes it freeze free, nex day, go to bed, same thing, heating heating heating and bang, freeze again, so maybe panther is using to much cpu forcing a lot the processor and when it heats it crash, can someone try it, lie down use a big blanket or sweater or something, and push it a little work, to see the result, heat it and see.
hmmmmm.

Link
Professional Poster
Mar 20, 2004, 06:01 PM

But most of us aren't using laptops o_O
Aloha

Zitax
Forum Regular
Mar 20, 2004, 06:03 PM

But most of us aren't using laptops o_O
Not most, and I say laptop ppl, cause its easier to warm them up.

nforcer
Mac Elite
Mar 20, 2004, 06:56 PM

Had another freeze, my first with 10.3.3.

Happened last night while running BitTorrent, VLC Player, Snapz Pro, and Quicktime. I had a few other minor apps like Terminal, TextEdit, Finder, Preview, BBEdit, and Adium open, but they were hidden or completely idle at the time of the freeze.

Like previous freezes, mouse still moved but nothing else. Unplugging the mouse, then plugging it back in only resulted in a frozen mouse.

My uptime was around 4 days, and I had about 500,000 pageins and pageouts going.

Carnage Visors
Mar 20, 2004, 09:55 PM

hmmm, I started digging round what could of been causing my lockups, and it got pretty bad even to the stage where I couldn't even boot from my ibook g4 install cd.

Okay I though I took out the 512meg slug of ram I had installed a month or so ago, and replaced it with the original 128meg slug that came with the ibook.

and then the problems went away, I tried everything that had caused the machine to lock up and nothing. Called the mac shop where I had got the ram, and the guy asked me to come in so he could see what was happening himself.

So I put the 512 back in, and off I went, and promptly got the ram replaced. and now no issues so far...

which I have to say has solved this issue for me..

so maybe its a ram issue? it solved my issues.

Benjamin
I saw two shooting stars last night,
I wished on them, but they were only satilites,
its wrong to wish on space hardware,
I wish, I wish, I wish you'd care.

Billy Bragg -- New England.

nforcer
Mac Elite
Mar 21, 2004, 04:28 AM

Got another complete lockup right now. Almost only a day of uptime from my previous freeze described 2 posts above. Last time it happened when I clicked save to record a movie taken in Snapz Pro. This time it happened when I tried to open up a Quicktime movie. That usual suspects (BitTorrent, Quicktime, Safari, iTunes) were running, in addition to the unusual ones (Terminal, TextEdit, Preview, Finder). I think it has to be something relating to disk activity and/or Quicktime.

Spliff
Mac Elite
Mar 21, 2004, 04:58 AM

I have a suggestion for everyone suffering from these freezes: check your hard drive's level of fragmentation, and, in particular, look at the largest free space segment you have. In a thread at Apple Discussions, there's good evidence that severe disk fragmentation is the cause of lockups for many people. After defragging (with SpeedDisk, TechTool 4, or PlusOptimize), the freezes stop occurring.

http://discussions.info.apple.com/[email protected]/309

stux
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Mar 21, 2004, 02:33 PM

I think there are two different freezes here

1) where the mouse moves smoothly
2) where the mouse jerks and then eventually completely locks up.

The latter is usually accompanied by itunes sporadic bursts of music... I've had the latter many many times and the former a few times

This is my sad little story

I have been experiencing random freezes on my Dual G4/500 since Panther came out.

I've had OSX PB, 10.0, 10.1, 10.2 on this machine, and they've virtually all been rock solid (there were a few 10.0.x upgrades which kernel panicked on duals), my only restarts have been for compulsory update restarts... I generally had uptimes circa 3 months plus.

Anywho, when I installed 10.3.0 it started.

Within 1 hr of installing Panther I had my first total freeze

Now, since then I tend to get a total freeze every 2 weeks or less.

Its always the same.

1) iTunes stops playing and everything stops except the mouse cursor
2) Then the mouse cursor stops
3) then iTunes plays a few bars
4) then the cursor jumps
wait 5-10 seconds... repeat 3 or 4

the machine will not respond to pings, any network services freeze and the screen is completely frozen

This *always* happens.

Sometimes it happens under heavy load, sometimes it happens when virtually idle

Sometimes it happens under heavy disk io, or heavy fw io, or heavy network io (lots of bittorrents), sometimes it happens under virtually no load.

Sometimes it happens when iTunes *isn't* running... its just that iTunes is playing most of the day.

I'll emphasize, this machine was *ROCK* solid with 10.0, 10.1 and 10.2

I've even done a clean re-install of 10.3

10.3.0, 10.3.1, 10.3.2 or 10.3.3 makes no difference.

I do not have any CPU upgrades nor the like

Generally it happens almost like clockwork after 10-14 days

I miss having an OS which was more stable than Windows XP.

Has anyone else been experiencing these *exact* symptoms (perhaps without the iTunes bit... if you don't run iTunes 24/7 or 9-5)?

IMHO there is a kernel issue at work here, i'm fairly certain a RAM issue would be more ... random... not *always* the same problem.

PS: I have experienced the exact same crash on a Pismo G3/500, but only with Panther.

PPS: a couple of freezes ago, I installed a temperature monitor, now I can say with confidence, its not heat related, my last freeze occurred with my cpus at idle temperature (28C)

Busemann
Mac Elite
Mar 21, 2004, 05:22 PM

Originally posted by stux:
I think there are two different freezes here

1) where the mouse moves smoothly
2) where the mouse jerks and then eventually completely locks up.

The latter is usually accompanied by itunes sporadic bursts of music... I've had the latter many many times and the former a few times

This is my sad little story

I have been experiencing random freezes on my Dual G4/500 since Panther came out.

I've had OSX PB, 10.0, 10.1, 10.2 on this machine, and they've virtually all been rock solid (there were a few 10.0.x upgrades which kernel panicked on duals), my only restarts have been for compulsory update restarts... I generally had uptimes circa 3 months plus.

Anywho, when I installed 10.3.0 it started.

Within 1 hr of installing Panther I had my first total freeze

Now, since then I tend to get a total freeze every 2 weeks or less.

Its always the same.

1) iTunes stops playing and everything stops except the mouse cursor
2) Then the mouse cursor stops
3) then iTunes plays a few bars
4) then the cursor jumps
wait 5-10 seconds... repeat 3 or 4

the machine will not respond to pings, any network services freeze and the screen is completely frozen

This *always* happens.

Sometimes it happens under heavy load, sometimes it happens when virtually idle

Sometimes it happens under heavy disk io, or heavy fw io, or heavy network io (lots of bittorrents), sometimes it happens under virtually no load.

Sometimes it happens when iTunes *isn't* running... its just that iTunes is playing most of the day.

I'll emphasize, this machine was *ROCK* solid with 10.0, 10.1 and 10.2

I've even done a clean re-install of 10.3

10.3.0, 10.3.1, 10.3.2 or 10.3.3 makes no difference.

I do not have any CPU upgrades nor the like

Generally it happens almost like clockwork after 10-14 days

I miss having an OS which was more stable than Windows XP.

Has anyone else been experiencing these *exact* symptoms (perhaps without the iTunes bit... if you don't run iTunes 24/7 or 9-5)?

IMHO there is a kernel issue at work here, i'm fairly certain a RAM issue would be more ... random... not *always* the same problem.

PS: I have experienced the exact same crash on a Pismo G3/500, but only with Panther.

PPS: a couple of freezes ago, I installed a temperature monitor, now I can say with confidence, its not heat related, my last freeze occurred with my cpus at idle temperature (28C)
I have the exact same thing as you. I also thought it was iTunes related, but once it happened without iTunes running... Although it doesnt always happen with much net activity, having a torrent or two up while running iTunes *always* makes it happen.

The disk fragmentation theory is quite interesting as my disk apparently was extremely fragmented. I just defragged it, hoping that it indeed helps (so far so good..)

ImpishLM
Forum Regular
Mar 21, 2004, 08:07 PM

Originally posted by Busemann:

The disk fragmentation theory is quite interesting as my disk apparently was extremely fragmented. I just defragged it, hoping that it indeed helps (so far so good..)
What utility did you use to defrag your disk? I should probably do this soon... does Disk Warrior have this capability?
'Tis a sin to kill a mockingbird

Spliff
Mac Elite
Mar 21, 2004, 08:27 PM

Originally posted by ImpishLM:
What utility did you use to defrag your disk? I should probably do this soon... does Disk Warrior have this capability?
No, DiskWarrior does not physically defrags the hard drive. It defrags the directory.

You can use Norton SpeedDisk, TechTool Pro 4, Alsoft's PlusOptimizer, or the defragger that ships with Intech SpeedTools.

mbi
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Mar 22, 2004, 04:54 AM

Indeed, this seems related to fragmentation of the swap file. My dual 1.25Ghz PowerMac (MDD) would regularly freeze after ten to twenty minutes of uptime until I moved the virtual memory file to another partition.

The main partition has about 25GB free disk space (out of 80) but I do not even dare imagine how fragmented it must be.

I moved the swap file to another partition on a second physical disk and haven't experienced a freeze since. *fingers crossed*

milhouse
Senior User
Mar 22, 2004, 08:18 AM

Originally posted by Spliff:
I've been having this problem ever since upgrading to 10.3.2. It only occurs under heavy network traffic.

My brother has the same problem on his Powerbook after upgrading to 10.3.2. A heavy network load leads to a hard freeze.

There's a long discussion at the Apple Support forums, 193 posts and counting.

http://discussions.info.apple.com/[email protected]
I experience the same issue and only under heavy network traffic, IIRC. I use SpeedDownload and thought that might be a culprit but perhaps not.
"-Dodge This"

ottawadave
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Mar 22, 2004, 08:36 AM

Originally posted by MadBrowser:
I just started having a strange problem with Panther 10.3.2 on my 1GHz 15" TiBook.

All of a sudden I'm getting hard freezes (3 today). When this occurs, I can still move the mouse but nothing else.

I can't force quit apps. Mousing over them in the Dock does not pop up their name. I cannot Command-Tab between them.

I ran Hardware Test and no problems were found. I repaired the disk and repaired the permissions...

And still it just happened again...
I have been looking at what appears to be a similar problem since last summer on my iMac 700 (flat panel). The strange thing is that the problem persists for 10, 20, 25 but never over 30 minutes. It can happen 3 or 4 times an evening, and then not at all for 6 weeks.

After discussion with a local repair technician, he recognized the symptoms as being very similar to a problem he'd experienced with a bad disk that morning. The OS uses the disk for swap, and if it has a problem it will lock up scheduling/processing until the disk access can complete. It can also happen if the power supply is faulty and can't spin the disk up.

A colleage also noticed that he had similar symptoms on one of his systems until he defragmented the free space on his HD. It seems there were no fragments big enough to handle the size swap file he'd occassionaly need.

Putting this info together with a problem i remember someone having many years ago with disks and conflicts with power saving options (spin down when not in use), I recalled that I had the disk spin down power save option enabled. My latest theory is that this is causing a conflict with swap.

Defragment your HD (free space), and then try disabling this in the Energy Saver control pane. I'm doing that now, but it could be awhile before I know if that's it. I've written a script to run in the background and it will log all instances where it's not been given a chance to run longer than 6 minutes (I'm sure it was happening when I was not looking).

-Dave

Link
Professional Poster
Mar 22, 2004, 08:45 AM

My g4's hard drive is set to never spin down.

Ironically, I've noticed on my machine that sometimes the drive still seeks after it freezes, and the freeze can happen like you said.

It is most often caused, however, when a disk is being mounted and itunes is open somehow. For example when I plug in my cam and I'm listening to internet radio..

Happened when I downloaded a disk image too..

It doesn't happen EVERY time though, once I rebooted and started back into my routine and it DID happen again but after a reboot, no prob..

it's odd.. just odd.
Aloha

YangZone
Mar 22, 2004, 09:23 AM

'Been having regular kernel panics since 10.2. Still having one every few days in 10.3.3. In 10.2.2 it would be twice a day. After clean installs, DiskWarrior, Permission fixes, Cocktail, Hardware Diagnostic etc,etc - still get those freezes. I can live with it.

Felt it might have begun way back after upping RAM to 1GB on the PB 800 with third party 'ware.

I've just turned off Crashreporter to see if it is the problem.javascript:smilie('')

Zim
Senior User
Mar 22, 2004, 10:54 AM

I have not had a lockup since I disabled CrashReporter several weeks ago.

That aside, and since we have been hearing that defrag is "old school" for 10.3 (so I have not been paying attention), what is the easiest, most-compatible tool for doing defrag?

Thanks!
Mike

Busemann
Mac Elite
Mar 22, 2004, 11:21 AM

Originally posted by Zim:
I have not had a lockup since I disabled CrashReporter several weeks ago.

That aside, and since we have been hearing that defrag is "old school" for 10.3 (so I have not been paying attention), what is the easiest, most-compatible tool for doing defrag?

Thanks!
Mike
I don't think its necessary to defrag a machine that came with Panther, or was installed with a format install. Anyways, defraggers are listed earlier in the thread.

aol
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Mar 22, 2004, 12:24 PM

I recently read that Panther automatically defrags. Every time it accesses a file smaller than some size (not sure the size, maybe 16MB), it supposedly defragments it if necessary. I am having freeze type (A) (from post above) where the mouse moves smoothly but nothing is responsive. I've tried repair permissions, fsck, clean installs, etc. I have a dual G4 1GHz, and I think Apple is internally aware of this problem because I've watched the different 10.3 updates with respect to doing two CPU- and disk-intensive tasks at once. In original Panther, you could fire off, say, two MacPar Deluxe rebuilds, and they'd both run simultaneously, (and if Thoth completed a download during, I'd get this lockup). Since then, running two MacPar Deluxe rebuilds, the second task waits on the first. Yet I still get the same crash if Thoth completes a download during the rebuild. So it's frustrating, as it appears to me that Apple is trying and yet failing miserably to fix this problem. And WORSE! I don't have a dual CPU anymore, because tasks wait on each other. It can't be something so endemic as to be unfixable, but come on!

Three most recent promising leads that I'll try are the cache cleanup suggestion, the defrag suggestion, and moving the swap file to my second HD, which is how I had it in Jaguar. Anyone know how to move the swap file to another partition in Panther? Is it the same as the Jaguar directions?

Hoping!
Andy
Andy

ottawadave
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Mar 22, 2004, 01:14 PM

Originally posted by Busemann:
I don't think its necessary to defrag a machine that came with Panther, or was installed with a format install. Anyways, defraggers are listed earlier in the thread.
Panther defragmenting is for existing files, not the free space on the HD. You can still have many thousands of fragments in the free space. Maybe Mac OS X 10.4 will sort that one out, but 10.3 does not.

Also, there's more than one kind of "freeze" being reported in this discussion, so likely there's more than one possible solution too. Consequently there are many good suggestions, but won't be applicable (obviously) in all case.

-Dave

macgyvr64
Grizzled Veteran
Mar 22, 2004, 02:12 PM

This freeze has happened to both my machines (Dual 500 tower and 1.25 15" PB) since installing 10.3.3. I watched it happen to a Dual 1.25 G4 tower at work, too (also 10.3.3).

Hmmmm

mbi
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Mar 22, 2004, 04:51 PM

Originally posted by aol:
Anyone know how to move the swap file to another partition in Panther? Is it the same as the Jaguar directions?
This worked for me: http://www.macosxhints.com/article.p...31104150206554

TheTraveller
Dedicated MacNNer
Mar 22, 2004, 04:52 PM

Yeah this is my only real issue with OS X these days. I get these freezes where nothing works except the mouse (smooth motion across the screen). It sucks. I'll try disabling Crash Reporter and see if that does anything.

kampl
Dedicated MacNNer
Mar 22, 2004, 09:58 PM

The only time I seem to have this problem on my PB Ti 800 is when I'm using wireless. No hardware problems according to Apple's tools. I tried swapping in a different Airport card anyway, no joy. Does not make any difference what applications are running if any (yeah I just let it sit there for awhile). As long as I'm wired everything works fine.

Being tethered == massive chafe

OS X 10.3.3, all patches, all updates.

gperks
Dedicated MacNNer
Mar 22, 2004, 11:24 PM

Freezes for me on 10.3.3 just about when the new iPhoto update finishes upgrading the thumbnails. I'm always doing something else in the foreground, but looking at the clock it's about the time iPhoto said it would finish.

Never had these lockups before. Happened twice in a row now (rebooted and ran iPhoto again immediately). First time the mouse could be moved. The 2nd time, complete lock.

Nothing in the system log.

PB G4 FW800.

Link
Professional Poster
Mar 23, 2004, 12:03 AM

the funny thing is shortly after I killed crashreporter my g4 KPed.
Aloha

krove
Mac Elite
Mar 23, 2004, 04:20 AM

Arrrrg...twice I lock up with just mouse movements, no SSH capabilities, only two apps running were Safari and iPhoto (in middle of updating thumbnails).

Apple needs to fix this already! Pain in the ars!

How did it come to this? Goodbye PowerPC. | sensory output

Apfhex
Mac Elite
Mar 24, 2004, 02:14 AM

Check this out! I just had another lockup, but this time it was a little different. iTunes was struggling along in the background, playing music for several seconds at a time (much longer than usual). I'm running 10.3.3, installed iPhoto 4.01 the other day and installed iChatAV 2.1 today (requiring a restart) and had iTunes, Safari, TextEdit, Preview, BitTorrent 3.3a, and Acrobat Reader 6.0 open. iTunes and Safari were hidden, and I had just clicked on Acrobat to bring it to the front when it locked up. I thought "this sucks" and got up and walked away for a few minutes. I come back and everything's back to normal (and it had performed all the actions I had attempted, such as Force Quite, and closing a few windows).

I'm really glad I didn't have to restart. I wonder, though, if I'm really having the same problem as everyone else. If I had another machine available I could try to SSH or something.
Mac OS X 10.5.0, Mac Pro 2.66GHz/2 GB RAM/X1900 XT, 23" ACD
esdesign

Link
Professional Poster
Mar 24, 2004, 03:32 AM

I've had the close call lagout happen before..

THAT is the kind you can actually SSH in with.. but it's very rare in my experience.
Aloha

stux
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Mar 24, 2004, 06:57 AM

Originally posted by Apfhex:
Check this out! I just had another lockup, but this time it was a little different. iTunes was struggling along in the background, playing music for several seconds at a time (much longer than usual). I'm running 10.3.3, installed iPhoto 4.01 the other day and installed iChatAV 2.1 today (requiring a restart) and had iTunes, Safari, TextEdit, Preview, BitTorrent 3.3a, and Acrobat Reader 6.0 open. iTunes and Safari were hidden, and I had just clicked on Acrobat to bring it to the front when it locked up. I thought "this sucks" and got up and walked away for a few minutes. I come back and everything's back to normal (and it had performed all the actions I had attempted, such as Force Quite, and closing a few windows).

I'm really glad I didn't have to restart. I wonder, though, if I'm really having the same problem as everyone else. If I had another machine available I could try to SSH or something.
This behavior happens when you get severe paging out, basically your whole system pauses for a little while... then comes back...

often happens for me when I quit omniweb after a week of browsing and it releases 500MB of VM or something

I've grown so used to my system freezes being signalled by music stopping that even a small tenth of a second skip in iTunes will make my heart skip a beat

macgyvr64
Grizzled Veteran
Mar 24, 2004, 10:51 AM

Originally posted by stux:
I've grown so used to my system freezes being signalled by music stopping that even a small tenth of a second skip in iTunes will make my heart skip a beat
Hahah, I hear ya.

Link
Professional Poster
Mar 24, 2004, 03:56 PM

Yeah ditto. *sigh* 10.3 is sooo nice, too bad usability wise it's awful.
Aloha

ryju
Professional Poster
Mar 24, 2004, 04:30 PM

I have an old iMac G3 400MHz, had this freezing problem back in 10.3.2, but haven't had it for a very long time, everything works perfectly. Sorry to hear all these horror stories though.

macgyvr64
Grizzled Veteran
Mar 24, 2004, 06:43 PM

Yeah ditto. *sigh* 10.3 is sooo nice, too bad usability wise it's awful.
10.4 will bring improvements and new functions. The new functions will be buggy, though ;-P It's an endless vicious cycle.

trusted_content
Dedicated MacNNer
Mar 24, 2004, 08:27 PM

This very crash occurred under those very circumstances last week, while my computer was in the middle of installing a system update. Needless to say, it's now borked but I haven't bothered to flatten/reinstall it yet because my Linux box is just fine.

I love how I complained about this a few weeks ago and everyone told me that the problem was on my end, or I should just "stop being cheap and get a real wireless router" or repair permissions/zap pram/other useless quick fix/etc.

And now there's three pages of people with that exact problem, and now you believe it?

Conditions:

Mac was serving as an Airport router. OS 10.3.2, latest Airport software, latest iTunes (iTunes usually open)... It would happen during heavy Airport activity. Hard lock except for cursor movement.

Thankfully people are now recognizing it, which means that instead of me fighting you guys to realize this problem exists, we can now fight Apple who are probably trying to ignore it.

It just pisses me off the attitude on these forums sometimes...

YOU'RE HAVING A PROBLEM WITH OS X? NO, NO PROBLEM. PROBLEM'S ON YOUR END. FIX PERMISSIONS. DO SOMETHING.. NO PROBLEM.

MUST... DEFEND... PLATFORM
MUST ... DEFEND ... APPLE

OH ****, 200 PEOPLE HAVE THIS PROBLEM? APPLE IS SCREWING US AGAIN! THOSE BASTARDS!
I offer strictly b2b web-based server-side enterprise solutions for growing e-business trusted content providers ;]

macgyvr64
Grizzled Veteran
Mar 24, 2004, 08:30 PM

Originally posted by trusted_content:
YOU'RE HAVING A PROBLEM WITH OS X? NO, NO PROBLEM. PROBLEM'S ON YOUR END. FIX PERMISSIONS. DO SOMETHING.. NO PROBLEM.

MUST... DEFEND... PLATFORM
MUST ... DEFEND ... APPLE

OH ****, 200 PEOPLE HAVE THIS PROBLEM? APPLE IS SCREWING US AGAIN! THOSE BASTARDS!
If you're the only one to initially report a problem, that can be expected. If we took every single person's OS X mishap as an Apple blunder, we'd have hundreds of those threads. Quite often people's crashes are due to software issues (*points at Unsanity's haxies and APE*) or permissions problems.

Spliff
Mac Elite
Mar 24, 2004, 08:36 PM

Originally posted by trusted_content:
Conditions:

Mac was serving as an Airport router. OS 10.3.2, latest Airport software, latest iTunes (iTunes usually open)... It would happen during heavy Airport activity. Hard lock except for cursor movement.
Defrag your hard drive. See if that fixes it.

Big Mac
Clinically Insane
Mar 24, 2004, 09:41 PM

Well, I've been running 10.3.2 for awhile and have never experienced this issue. The Airport updates are installed, and if anything they've made my connection to my Netgear router more reliable. The interesting thing is I haven't seen any G5 owners complain - is this a veiled attempt to get people to upgrade?

"The natural progress of things is for liberty to yield and government to gain ground." TJ

MasonMcD
Dedicated MacNNer
Mar 25, 2004, 12:31 AM

Re-installing Panther with an Archive and Install, and applying the combo updater did the trick for me, though I will not apply the AirPort 3.3 upgrade, as I think that's one of the culprits.

Spliff
Mac Elite
Mar 25, 2004, 12:42 AM

Originally posted by MasonMcD:
Re-installing Panther with an Archive and Install, and applying the combo updater did the trick for me, though I will not apply the AirPort 3.3 upgrade, as I think that's one of the culprits.
Don't forget that reinstalling also defrags the drive. So, you could've either had the VM-related or Airport-related freeze.

Forum Links
Forum Rules