Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Desktops > Going to sell my G4 Sawtooth, need advice.

Going to sell my G4 Sawtooth, need advice.
krillbee
Mac Enthusiast
Jun 17, 2006, 06:15 AM

This is not a for sale thread (but I may post one later) I bought this awhile back to play with, but right now I need the money more than this computer.
When it came it had 128 mb ram, no hard drive, and 16 mb rage 128 video.

Since then I put a Radeon 8500 in there (PC card flashed), a 20 gb hard drive, and now it has 512 mb ram. I put Tiger on there, i wanted to see what it was about.

But I wont keep the copy of Tiger I have on there when I sell it. So I'm thinking of buying an O/S for it or leaving it with an empty hard drive.

Which O/S do you guys think I should buy for this computer before i sell it, if any? I'd imagine I could probably find OS 9 for real cheap, but I'm sure whoever gets it will want OS X on there. I can buy OSX 10.1, 10.2, 10.3, or 10.4 all on ebay. Or I could just try to sell the system without an O/S (but then non tech savy customers probably wouldnt want it.)
Would it work if I bought restore disks for another machine to sell with this one? (i've noticed those go for cheaper on ebay)

And which hardware should I leave in there? all of it? I'm not sure if I'd get more leaving the memory and video card in there, or taking them out.
I'm thinking of posting this computer either on Ebay, craigslist, or this forum, we'll see.
( Last edited by krillbee; Jun 18, 2006 at 06:32 PM. )

OreoCookie
Jun 17, 2006, 07:56 AM

I'd get 10.3. 10.4 is probably too expensive, but 10.3 is still fairly recent and usable. IMHO older versions of OS X are too much out of date. If you sell it as an OS X machine, I'd leave all the hardware in there. If you sell it without OS, then you can put some older hardware in, I'm sure a few people would want the machine to run OS 9 on it.
I don't suffer from insanity, I enjoy every minute of it.

krillbee  (op)
Mac Enthusiast
Jun 17, 2006, 08:31 AM

Okay, ive checked out ebay and it seems like i could score 10.3 for about 30-40 bucks on there. Orea, do you think that would be a worthy investment, to add that in when I sell it to someone? Or I could just sell the machine bare, heh.

Its amazing I see 10.1 going on ebay for about 15 bucks shipped, lol. (but ive heard that one is pretty sucky)

What are the limitations when installing programs, what do you need to run most of todays mac applications?

Lateralus
Moderator Emeritus
Jun 17, 2006, 10:02 AM

I wouldn't buy OS X at all. What you'll end up paying for a disc wont be made up for by the added value in the final sale price of the machine.

That said, the lowest useable version of OS X by most standards is 10.2. Most current software supports it and it's fairly speedy.

But the chances of anybody who buys your machine actually sticking with 10.2 are so low that if you don't already have it, I wouldn't bother buying it just to install it.
I like chicken
I like liver
Meow Mix, Meow Mix
Please de-liv-er

krillbee  (op)
Mac Enthusiast
Jun 17, 2006, 10:23 AM

Originally Posted by Lateralus
I wouldn't buy OS X at all. What you'll end up paying for a disc wont be made up for by the added value in the final sale price of the machine.

That said, the lowest useable version of OS X by most standards is 10.2. Most current software supports it and it's fairly speedy.

But the chances of anybody who buys your machine actually sticking with 10.2 are so low that if you don't already have it, I wouldn't bother buying it just to install it.
lol, okay i see what you mean. I wonder what people do when they buy sawtooths. If most users just pirate a copy of Tiger for it, or if they buy one from the store, from ebay, etc.

I'm just thinking maybe there's a mom or dad out there that wants a mac for their family, but wouldnt feel comfortable getting the O/S separately. Someone like this would probably pay the most for my mac, if it was all set and ready to go.

kick52
Baninated
Jun 17, 2006, 02:55 PM

Originally Posted by krillbee
I downloaded Tiger and installed it on there, i wanted to see what it was about.
you downloaded a pirated version of tiger? im not going to help you.

krillbee  (op)
Mac Enthusiast
Jun 17, 2006, 03:06 PM

Originally Posted by kick52
you downloaded a pirated version of tiger? im not going to help you.
pfft whatever, at least i have the decency to remove the program before i sell it, unlike a lot of people.

kick52
Baninated
Jun 18, 2006, 04:56 AM

pfft whatever, at least i have the decency to remove the program before i sell it, unlike a lot of people.
i suppose thats a bit better, but still a bit annoyed.

bowwowman
Mac Elite
Jun 18, 2006, 10:59 AM

Originally Posted by kick52
i suppose thats a bit better, but still a bit annoyed.

ALthough I in no way condone piracy, can we keep this as a "for sale" thread and not let it become a pissing contest about legit/non-legit sw ?

Perhaps the OP should just edit the original post to remove the mention of the dowloaded OS........

krillbee,

As it stands equipped now, even with an empty/wiped HD, your machine should be worth ~$100-150. I agree w/ the others, I would not buy a (new) copy of Tiger for this machine, you wont get that much $$ back in the final price. But if you can snag one for <<$35.00, go for it!

Most sawtooth buyers, (at least the crowd that hangs out around here anyways) will either already have a copy of OS X to install on them, or would buy a used copy from ebay......

worst case, you could always part it out, and possibly get a few $$ more in the end. There are still ALOT of sawtooths in use, and therefore a fairly steady market still exists for repair/upgrade parts for them
Personally I find it hilarious that you have the hots for my gramma. Especially seeins how she is 3x your age, and makes your Brittney-Spears-wannabe 30-something wife look like a rag doll who went thru WWIII with a burning stick of dynamite up her a** :)

chris v
Addicted to MacNN
Jun 18, 2006, 01:04 PM

Just sell it with no OS. You can put something to the effect that "Fully compatible with Mac OS 9 thru 10.4. I'm wiping the drive, and it was fully functional when last used." Then put a 10-day DOA guarantee on it.

As little as that machine is worth, ($150.00 +/-) I wouldn't bother spending the $$ on an OS disk.

When a true genius appears in the world you may know him by this sign, that the dunces are all in confederacy against him. -- Jonathan Swift.

krillbee  (op)
Mac Enthusiast
Jun 18, 2006, 06:39 PM

Thanks everyone. I think I'm just going to not worry about having an OS on there for now, but if I find a good deal on ebay then I'll consider getting an O/S on there. I'm going to gauge the market and see what people are willing to pay for these.

I do wonder where I would get the most $ for my computer though. Whether or not ebay or craigslist is a better choice. (no offense, but I have the feeling i probably shouldnt sell it on this board since you guys know how to get this stuff for the least amount of $, lol )
( Last edited by krillbee; Jun 18, 2006 at 06:51 PM. )

bowwowman
Mac Elite
Jun 19, 2006, 08:05 PM

no offense, but I have the feeling i probably shouldnt sell it on this board since you guys know how to get this stuff for the least amount of $, lol )
being called a tech-savy shopper is no reason for offense, IMHO anyway

The folks here are very knowledgable, AND good bargin hunters, so while they may not make you an "overly-generous" offer, most of them will at least make you a reasonably FAIR one.

Just try to avoid dealing with the newbies, the ones with little or no posts and/or no feedback from other members and/or sites, like heatware & ebay.
Personally I find it hilarious that you have the hots for my gramma. Especially seeins how she is 3x your age, and makes your Brittney-Spears-wannabe 30-something wife look like a rag doll who went thru WWIII with a burning stick of dynamite up her a** :)

Forum Links
Forum Rules