Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > To buy or not to buy (a MBP, that is)

To buy or not to buy (a MBP, that is)
zack13532
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Oct 28, 2008, 10:31 PM

I'm looking to buy a Macbook Pro, but I can't decide whether I should, and if I do, which one I should get.
First of all, the main reason I wanted a pro is because my macbook is getting a bit old (only 2 yrs, but my mom is in need of a new computer, so the tradeoff would work) and I'm hoping to play games on it. Sure i would love it if it ran faster and could perform tasks better, but about 75% of my want for an mbp is cuz of gaming. I also want to be able to use the new computer faithfully for at least the next 2 yrs. However, I also own an xbox 360 and am an avid gamer on that. with all the great games coming out this holiday season, i might want to just supplement my xbox 360 gaming habits.
Keep in mind that HDD space isn't a problem, and if I were to upgrade memory, it would be through 3rd party and diy installing.
Here are my choices:
-a refurbished MBP (last-gen) for $1800, 512mb gfx card, 2.6ghz cpu, 2gb ram, the stats can be found in the refurbished section of apple's store
-a clearnace MBP (last-gen) for $1800, 512mb gfx card, 2.5ghz cpu, 2gb ram, the stats can be found in the clearance section of apple's store
-low end sku of the new MBP for $2000, the stats can be viewed on the purchases page on apple's site
-guitar hero 4, gow2, far cry 2 (optional), 120gb hdd for around $410.
Just wondering what everyone's 2 cents are.

gradient
Mac Elite
Oct 29, 2008, 12:45 AM

If it was me, I would stretch your existing macbook to 3-4 years worth of useage and go for the games. That being said, the $400 vs. $2000 comparison doesn't necessarily make it look like a one-or-the-other type decision.

flabasha
Forum Regular
Oct 29, 2008, 04:05 PM

Or, do what I just did, buy a last-gen 2.4 ghz Macbook Pro on Amazon for 1440 delivered (includes rebate).

Forum Links
Forum Rules