Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > iPhone, iPad & iPod > 1 million preorders and no threads about whether your 4S shipped yet?

1 million preorders and no threads about whether your 4S shipped yet?
SSharon
Professional Poster
Oct 10, 2011, 11:35 AM

I'm a bit disappointed that there wasn't already a thread about the 4S preorders. I'm sure people here are part of that 1 million.

I preordered a black verizon 16gb model and my phone is up to the preparing for shipment stage. The phone is for my wife so I got the 16gb version, but I'm thinking I should have gotten the 32gb version because of the larger picture and video files. Should I go to my local Apple store and try to upgrade it?
AT&T iPhone 5S and 6; 13" MBP; MDD G4.

Cold Warrior
Oct 10, 2011, 11:48 AM

Preordered early morning last Friday. I immediately received an email confirmation for delivery on the 14th, but nothing new since then. I don't really expect anything until Wednesday or Thursday, because Apple usually uses 2-3 day shipping Fedex or UPS for this stuff.

SSharon  (op)
Professional Poster
Oct 10, 2011, 12:04 PM

Originally Posted by Cold Warrior View Post
Preordered early morning last Friday. I immediately received an email confirmation for delivery on the 14th, but nothing new since then.
That's pretty good. It took me about 20 minutes before I could get an order through and then it took more than an hour before I got the confirmation email from Apple. Did you get an email later explaining Applecare+? I got two of them.

The Godfather
Addicted to MacNN
Oct 10, 2011, 12:08 PM

Originally Posted by SSharon View Post
I'm a bit disappointed that there wasn't already a thread about the 4S preorders. I'm sure people here are part of that 1 million.

I preordered a black verizon 16gb model and my phone is up to the preparing for shipment stage. The phone is for my wife so I got the 16gb version, but I'm thinking I should have gotten the 32gb version because of the larger picture and video files. Should I go to my local Apple store and try to upgrade it?
If it has not shipped, you are in time to cancel your order. After it has shipped, there's no cancelling.
I doubt an Apple store will let you upgrade your open box 4S, in the face of the people standing in line trying to get one too.
But at least those people standing in line will have read the full 4S reviews coming up on Wednesday and Thursday.

SierraDragon
Mac Elite
Oct 10, 2011, 12:13 PM

I'm a bit disappointed that there wasn't already a thread about the 4S preorders. I ordered mine a day late, after "sellout of preorders" so I will be curious to see when it actually ships. It is a 64 GB so they may be in better/worse supply than the more prevalent 16s and 32s.
9t05Mac has a preorders thread with 100+ preorder reports FWIW at:
Early iPhone 4S orders begin shipping to customers, from Sprint at least | 9to5Mac | Apple Intelligence

I preordered a black verizon 16gb model... ...but I'm thinking I should have gotten the 32gb version because of the larger picture and video files. Should I go to my local Apple store and try to upgrade it?
The FAQ I have seen say that you should return the (ideally opened) initial order and then order another one. But if you bought from Apple I bet the store would do it. I bought from AT&T with an existing unlimited data account.

Regarding the capacity, my 16 GB iPhone 3G is 80% full and (a) it has no video stored, (b) the camera sucks so I do not have that many image files even though I am a photog, and (c) I only have 10% of my music on it and I would like to carry maybe 15 GB of music. With decent camera and video I expect lots more camera-shot imagery files. Plus the retina display and iCloud links to Aperture suggest that I may be wanting some DSLR pix on the phone.

Seems to me that 32 GB may be a sweet spot regarding value. I bought 64 because I have outgrown the mass storage on EVERY Apple device I have purchased since 1985 - a lot of devices.

HTH

P.S. IMO the 4s with Siri AI is going to be a very cool phone!

-Allen Wicks
( Last edited by SierraDragon; Oct 10, 2011 at 12:21 PM. )

SSharon  (op)
Professional Poster
Oct 10, 2011, 12:14 PM

Originally Posted by The Godfather View Post
If it has not shipped, you are in time to cancel your order. After it has shipped, there's no cancelling.
I doubt an Apple store will let you upgrade your open box 4S, in the face of the people standing in line trying to get one too.
But at least those people standing in line will have read the full 4S reviews coming up on Wednesday and Thursday.
The site says it is too late to change the order and I would have been too afraid to anyway on their site since I know everything else is sold out. Why would the Apple Store care? It wouldn't be open box, it would be brand new and still wrapped up.

Cold Warrior
Oct 10, 2011, 12:37 PM

That's pretty good. It took me about 20 minutes before I could get an order through and then it took more than an hour before I got the confirmation email from Apple. Did you get an email later explaining Applecare+? I got two of them.
Well I tried ordering right at 12:01 cupertino time but had trouble. Kept trying for maybe 30 minutes, then just went back to bed. 5 hours later I had no issues at all, it took 2 minutes to order from bed using the apple store iPhone app. I did get the applecare email, just the one.

SierraDragon
Mac Elite
Oct 10, 2011, 01:04 PM

The site says it is too late to change the order and I would have been too afraid to anyway on their site since I know everything else is sold out. Why would the Apple Store care? It wouldn't be open box, it would be brand new and still wrapped up.
As long as you do your wait in the expected line the Apple Store should not care. Worst case is you just buy a new 32 GB phone at the store and return the unopened box 16 GB phone.

The only time in my life I ever waited in a long line was for the original iPhone, about an hour at a new remote Reno Apple Store. It was pretty cool actually, never having done that before. People watching. I thought about doing it this time but decided that the line might exceed an hour and I would self-destruct.

Godfather is worried about needing to first see real hands-on reviews, which is a very appropriate concern. The good news is that such reviews should be happening in the next 2-3 days, so folks with such concerns can just refrain from opening the box for a day or two...

Personally I am upgrading from a 3G and my friend's iPhone 4 is superior in every way at every location. And after the iP4 antenna silliness I am sure that Apple did extra testing on the 4s so unless I get a lemon (which is warranty-replaceable) I am quite certain the 4s will be a nice step up from the 3G.

[EDIT] Heck, if the line is long enough maybe while you are waiting in line you can scalp the 16 GB model, make some money.

-Allen

The Godfather
Addicted to MacNN
Oct 10, 2011, 01:09 PM

If you need the 32GB that badly, you can call your credit card company and block the payment. That way, you are free to order what you really need.

turtle777
Clinically Insane
Oct 10, 2011, 01:15 PM

Originally Posted by Cold Warrior View Post
Preordered early morning last Friday. I immediately received an email confirmation for delivery on the 14th, but nothing new since then.
F*ck.

I ordered early Fr. morning at an AT&T Store.
I did this because I just knew AT&T was going to f*ck something up if I had ordered at Apple (I am changing my plan to a Family Plan, adding a new line).

At any rate, AT&T told me expected delivery is 2-3 weeks. So why the f*ck do people ordering at the Apple store get theirs delivered on the 14th, and customers ordering at AT&T at the same time get theirs 1-2 weeks later ?

Pisses me off, but I expected nothing better from AT&T.

-t
( Last edited by turtle777; Oct 10, 2011 at 01:24 PM. )

The Godfather
Addicted to MacNN
Oct 10, 2011, 01:19 PM

Void those purchases. It is foolish not to.

Take the morning off on Friday. It's not winter yet and you get to stand in line with other likeable Mac users.

SSharon  (op)
Professional Poster
Oct 10, 2011, 01:35 PM

If it wasn't a holiday I would be waiting in line or at least at the store the next day. However, the Apple Store by me is closed on Sunday so I would have to wait until Monday at the earliest. I guess I'll leave it up to my wife to decide if 16gb is enough. It is her first smartphone so my guess is she will want to rip the box open the minute she can. If we travel we can always load up my 32gb iPhone 4 with movies.

Also, as a reminder for people who preordered or who plan on buying at any time to check with your credit card company to see whether they extend the warranty. If my amex doubles the warranty to 2 years then I'm not buying Applecare+ for $100 and then paying $50 just to use the service.

hyteckit
Addicted to MacNN
Oct 10, 2011, 01:46 PM

I preordered the 32GB Black AT&T version. Called today to change to White version. Was told I would have to cancel and reorder. That would change my ship date to Nov.

So I'll stick with the black version.
Bush Tax Cuts == Job Killer
June 2001: 132,047,000 employed
June 2003: 129,839,000 employed
2.21 million jobs were LOST after 2 years of Bush Tax Cuts.

SSharon  (op)
Professional Poster
Oct 10, 2011, 01:54 PM

Originally Posted by hyteckit View Post
I preordered the 32GB Black AT&T version. Called today to change to White version. Was told I would have to cancel and reorder. That would change my ship date to Nov.

So I'll stick with the black version.
I was secretly hoping my wife would want the white version so we could tell our phones apart but she wanted the black model.

Does anyone know which case to get for the 4S? In other words are the volume buttons like the ATT 4 or the Verizon 4? I suspect that I need to get a case intended for a Verizon iPhone 4, but I want to be sure.

SierraDragon
Mac Elite
Oct 10, 2011, 02:15 PM

I guess I'll leave it up to my wife to decide.
Very, very smart move.

Does anyone know which case to get for the 4S? In other words are the volume buttons like the ATT 4 or the Verizon 4? I suspect that I need to get a case intended for a Verizon iPhone 4, but I want to be sure.
I expect all 4s phones to have identical exterior configurations. Personally I will only buy a case (an Otterbox) specifically listed as made for the 4s, not for the 4.

-Allen

SSharon  (op)
Professional Poster
Oct 10, 2011, 02:24 PM

Originally Posted by SierraDragon View Post
I expect all 4s phones to have identical exterior configurations. Personally I will only buy a case (an Otterbox) specifically listed as made for the 4s, not for the 4.
Maybe I could have been more clear. I know that there is only one version of the 4S so every 4S case will work with every 4S phone. My question is about the cases built for the iPhone 4 which come in two flavors (att and verizon) and whether either one of them will fit the 4S.

Waragainstsleep
Posting Junkie
Oct 10, 2011, 02:26 PM

I am quite certain the 4s will be a nice step up from the 3G.
Even a 3GS is quite a step up from the 3G. My 3G is slooooooow. Though it was jailbroken and unlocked which slows it down a touch.
I have plenty of more important things to do, if only I could bring myself to do them....

SierraDragon
Mac Elite
Oct 10, 2011, 02:28 PM

Originally Posted by turtle777 View Post
F*ck.

I ordered early Fr. morning at an AT&T Store.
I did this because I just knew AT&T was going to f*ck something up if I had ordered at Apple (I am changing my plan to a Family Plan, adding a new line).

At any rate, AT&T told me expected delivery is 2-3 weeks. So why the f*ck do people ordering at the Apple store get theirs delivered on the 14th, and customers ordering at AT&T at the same time get theirs 1-2 weeks later ?

Pisses me off, but I expected nothing better from AT&T.
The AT&T store is right across the street from the Emeryville Apple Store and in the past Apple just sent me across the street to deal with account anomalies, no problem.

IMO do not blame AT&T, blame Apple because after all Apple is the one making and distributing the phones. At least your report is better than mine, which I just now checked status. I ordered a 64-GB online from AT&T for the same reasons you did (but a day late) and the AT&T status is "BACKORDERED."

Maybe I will wait in line at the Apple Store on release day.

-Allen

turtle777
Clinically Insane
Oct 10, 2011, 03:19 PM

My status on AT&T shows "In Progress" and "Qty backordered: 1"

-t

SierraDragon
Mac Elite
Oct 10, 2011, 03:52 PM

Probably we should not get our panties too twisted, because it may just be the way the automated ordering software reports. We may yet get "shipped" notices in a civilized time frame.

Hopefully.

-Allen

SSharon  (op)
Professional Poster
Oct 10, 2011, 03:56 PM

Probably we should not get our panties too twisted...
Sorry, but that is the exact opposite of what threads like this one are about

Cold Warrior
Oct 10, 2011, 03:57 PM

I got a shipped notice 15 minutes ago. TUAW reports others getting them too.

turtle777
Clinically Insane
Oct 10, 2011, 04:10 PM

*getting my panties twisted*

-t

SierraDragon
Mac Elite
Oct 10, 2011, 04:36 PM

Maybe I could have been more clear. I know that there is only one version of the 4S so every 4S case will work with every 4S phone. My question is about the cases built for the iPhone 4 which come in two flavors (att and verizon) and whether either one of them will fit the 4S.
FWIW a FAQ on the Otterbox site said

"The cases for the iPhone 4 are not compatible with iPhone 4S due to a change in the location of the device’s proximity sensor and camera lens."

-Allen

SSharon  (op)
Professional Poster
Oct 10, 2011, 04:43 PM

FWIW a FAQ on the Otterbox site said

"The cases for the iPhone 4 are not compatible with iPhone 4S due to a change in the location of the device’s proximity sensor and camera lens."

-Allen
Thanks for the tip! From looking at the pictures the front looks the same and it never even occurred to me that the camera might move locations on the back.

SierraDragon
Mac Elite
Oct 10, 2011, 06:41 PM

Thanks for the tip! From looking at the pictures the front looks the same and it never even occurred to me that the camera might move locations on the back.
Too bad too, because cases for the 4 can be found substantially discounted.

-Allen

Big Mac
Clinically Insane
Oct 11, 2011, 02:01 AM

I'm in a bit of a quandary over the upgrade option for my mother on Verizon. She gets a $31 discount when I look at iPhone options through the Verizon site, which of course isn't shown through buyiphone.apple.com when I go through the order process there. As a result I'd order through Verizon, but Verizon doesn't yet have AppleCare+ available (which others have noted online). AppleCare support is apparently telling people that they can take either their Verizon receipt or possibly unopened iPhone to an Apple Store and get AppleCare+ added at that time, but then predictably the stores are clueless on this point.

I guess mom will have to wait until Verizon gets its act together. The older version of AppleCare for the iPhone 4 is available on the site, so I assume + will get there eventually. In the mean time I bet Verizon would rather sell its crappy insurance with that huge deductible.

"The natural progress of things is for liberty to yield and government to gain ground." TJ

Waragainstsleep
Posting Junkie
Oct 11, 2011, 04:33 AM

Applecare has always been possible to add up to a year after purchase, why would Applecare+ be any different?
I have plenty of more important things to do, if only I could bring myself to do them....

SSharon  (op)
Professional Poster
Oct 11, 2011, 10:02 AM

Originally Posted by Waragainstsleep View Post
Applecare has always been possible to add up to a year after purchase, why would Applecare+ be any different?
Probably because of the accidental damage coverage that they don't want people abusing. The Apple site is clear though, it has to purchased at the time the phone is purchased. Apple - Support - AppleCare - iPhone

cmeisenzahl
Grizzled Veteran
Oct 11, 2011, 11:21 AM

I ordered mine about 8:30am Friday via AT&T's web site.

As of now my order status is still "In Progress."

hyteckit
Addicted to MacNN
Oct 11, 2011, 11:49 AM

Hopefully I'll get mine by the end of the week.
Bush Tax Cuts == Job Killer
June 2001: 132,047,000 employed
June 2003: 129,839,000 employed
2.21 million jobs were LOST after 2 years of Bush Tax Cuts.

The Godfather
Addicted to MacNN
Oct 11, 2011, 12:14 PM

If you don't get it on Friday, will you have to wait until Monday?

SierraDragon
Mac Elite
Oct 11, 2011, 12:34 PM

Originally Posted by Big Mac View Post
...Verizon doesn't yet have AppleCare+ available... AppleCare support is apparently telling people that they can take either their Verizon receipt or possibly unopened iPhone to an Apple Store and get AppleCare+ added at that time, but then predictably the stores are clueless on this point.
My 4s is in the AT&T/Apple ecosystem, but it seems to me that I saw a FAQ that said Applecare+ could be added post-purchase for something like 30 or 60 days. It makes sense, because those pricey warranty add-ons are huge moneymakers for the vendors.

I am waiting to consider insurance. I want to look at all the choices carefully because most, maybe all, are cost-ineffective. And maybe Applecare for phones will be available more cheaply elsewhere, just like Applecare for Macs is available discounted 40%. After the 4s is on the street for a week or so maybe we can start a phone insurance thread.

The cheapest insurance for damage is a case, and I already have an Otterbox Commuter case for the 4s ordered that will be here by the end of the week. I have the same case for the 3G and it has been excellent under rigorous usage.

Looks like the new case will get here way ahead of the new phone. Pshaw. Maybe I can practice Siri commands with the empty case...

[Edit] ...which just gave a sick gag idea. Use a BT headset to run Siri with the phone in your pocket, but do AI Q&A talking to the empty case. "Genie, who was the 45th USA President? How far from London to Glasgow?"
Clearly too much coffee on board, I will shut up.

-Allen
( Last edited by SierraDragon; Oct 11, 2011 at 01:17 PM. )

SierraDragon
Mac Elite
Oct 11, 2011, 01:05 PM

Probably because of the accidental damage coverage that they don't want people abusing. The Apple site is clear though, it has to purchased at the time the phone is purchased. Apple - Support - AppleCare - iPhone
The link you provided leads to a PDF "AppleCare + for iPhone" that states

"(x) You must purchase the Plan while your original iPhone is within Apple’s One Year Limited warranty."

It would not surprise me if multiple answers to the when-purchased question exist, but warranty add-ons are such huge moneymakers for vendors I expect Apple will most likely follow their language in the previous quoted sentence.

Note also that this language is consistent with past Applecare for Macs practice. And if you fail to get hooked into buying Applecare when first buying a new Mac, at about 10-11 months Apple will again hound you to buy Applecare.

-Allen
( Last edited by SierraDragon; Oct 11, 2011 at 01:14 PM. )

Big Mac
Clinically Insane
Oct 11, 2011, 01:07 PM

Outdated term in the PDF then. Found at the bottom of the product support page: Important notes: "AppleCare+ must be purchased together with new covered equipment. See AppleCare+ Terms and Conditions for complete product details."

"The natural progress of things is for liberty to yield and government to gain ground." TJ

SSharon  (op)
Professional Poster
Oct 11, 2011, 01:10 PM

The "AppleCare + for iPhone" PDF the link you provided leads to states

"(x) You must purchase the Plan while your original iPhone is within Apple’s One Year Limited warranty."
Outdated term in the PDF then. Found at the bottom of the product support page: Important notes: "AppleCare+ must be purchased together with new covered equipment. See AppleCare+ Terms and Conditions for complete product details."
Yep, thanks Big Mac. I was talking about the Important Notes box on the website itself. I didn't bother to read the actual terms, but that is surprising that it wasn't updated.

SierraDragon
Mac Elite
Oct 11, 2011, 02:38 PM

What makes the PDF outdated??? The PDF IS the "See AppleCare+ Terms and Conditions for complete product details" that you refer to.

It is like I stated earlier that multiple posted time frames likely exist, but the PDF IMO is the last word until (and, big IF) it is rewritten. Even if it is someday rewritten I would argue that it was the contract language I agreed with Apple when I bought my 4s. Apple told me to "See AppleCare+ Terms and Conditions for complete product details" and I did exactly that.

@SSharon, why would you assume the website design folks (who built the website) are more accurate than Apple legal (who wrote the Terms and Conditions) on the issue? We do not know what Apple really wants to say, but I see no reason to first trust the website over the TaC document.

-Allen Wicks
( Last edited by SierraDragon; Oct 11, 2011 at 02:49 PM. )

Big Mac
Clinically Insane
Oct 11, 2011, 02:45 PM

The PDF clearly contains outdated language from the previous version of coverage for the iPhone 4 that didn't include accidental damage coverage. It would be a pretty interesting contract lawsuit over the discrepancy you note, but it's clear that Apple's intention is that they have to be purchased at the same time, and that's what the AppleCare phone reps are explaining to customers as well.

Spheric Harlot
Clinically Insane
Oct 11, 2011, 03:00 PM

SierraDragon
Mac Elite
Oct 11, 2011, 03:13 PM

Also note that the iPhone Applecare web page

iPhone - AppleCare Protection Plan - Apple Store (U.S.)

states:
"Important Note
The AppleCare Protection Plan can be purchased only while your iPhone is still covered under the standard one-year limited warranty. The AppleCare Protection Plan does not provide coverage for accidental damage from handling."

OTOH the iPhone Applecare+ web page

Apple - Support - AppleCare - iPhone

States
"Important notes
AppleCare+ must be purchased together with new covered equipment. See AppleCare+ Terms and Conditions for complete product details."

And those TaC are the ones I referenced earlier that state one year. My guess is that "purchased together with new covered equipment" is interpreted to mean that as long as the new equipment is covered under the regular warranty (i.e. one year) that the (hella unearned money into Apple's pocket) AppleCare+ can still be purchased.

I disagree with the sources TUAW contacted that say we have 30 days. Yes they were Apple folks, but as I see it the one year purchase period of the TaC contract in place when we bought the phone rules.

Time for Tim Cook to clarify by stepping in and acting like Apple is giving us something (when actually Apple really really wants people to buy Applecare), and say "Folks can buy Applecare+ for a year." That is what I would do.

-Allen
( Last edited by SierraDragon; Oct 11, 2011 at 03:26 PM. )

SSharon  (op)
Professional Poster
Oct 11, 2011, 03:25 PM

Also note that the iPhone Applecare web page

iPhone - AppleCare Protection Plan - Apple Store (U.S.)

states:
"Important Note
The AppleCare Protection Plan can be purchased only while your iPhone is still covered under the standard one-year limited warranty. The AppleCare Protection Plan does not provide coverage for accidental damage from handling."

OTOH the iPhone Applecare+ web page

Apple - Support - AppleCare - iPhone

States
"Important notes
AppleCare+ must be purchased together with new covered equipment. See AppleCare+ Terms and Conditions for complete product details."

And those TaC are the ones I referenced earlier. My guess is that "purchased together with new covered equipment" is interpreted to mean that as long as the new equipment is covered under the regular warranty (i.e. one year) that the (hella unearned money into Apple's pocket) AppleCare+ can still be purchased.

I disagree with the sources TUAW contacted. Yes they were Apple folks but the TaC contract rules.

-Allen
I think the distinction is that you can still purchase standard applecare within the first year, but applecare+ must be purchased with the phone (or the 30 day window exception at launch). The quotes above don't contradict each other.

I'm rethinking whether applecare+ is worthwhile. If I plan on getting applecare for $80 then for an extra $20 I cover myself in case of an accident (and if there is an accident paying $50 for a fixed phone is a good deal).

I got applecare for my original iphone since it was a first gen product, but didn't get it for my iphone 4 and so wasn't necessarily planning on getting it for the 4S though.

SierraDragon
Mac Elite
Oct 11, 2011, 03:47 PM

It would be a pretty interesting contract lawsuit over the discrepancy you note, but it's clear that Apple's intention is that they have to be purchased at the same time, and that's what the AppleCare phone reps are explaining to customers as well.
I don't think it is clear at all. When I went through the Apple site and searched on Applecare+ it brings up Apple Store Results with at the top of the list the iPhone Applecare page I linked to that states one year (try it).

The main thing is Apple wants to sell Applecare anyway.

[edit] Careful reading of the page lists phones but not the 4s as eligible for Applecare (no +).

-Allen
( Last edited by SierraDragon; Oct 11, 2011 at 04:06 PM. )

SierraDragon
Mac Elite
Oct 11, 2011, 03:56 PM

Does anyone know what it will cost to replace a ruined iP4s (lost, or the dog ate it) if one has no insurance?

The Godfather
Addicted to MacNN
Oct 11, 2011, 08:14 PM

$650 plus state sales tax, plus shipping, plus micro SIM, plus fancy case, plus your time, plus reporting it to the police if stolen.

SSharon  (op)
Professional Poster
Oct 11, 2011, 10:43 PM

Does anyone know what it will cost to replace a ruined iP4s (lost, or the dog ate it) if one has no insurance?
Originally Posted by The Godfather View Post
$650 plus state sales tax, plus shipping, plus micro SIM, plus fancy case, plus your time, plus reporting it to the police if stolen.
And that is just for the 16gb model. But Apple has free shipping on most items. The other half of the question is how much Apple will charge for common breakages like broken screens.

chabig
Addicted to MacNN
Oct 11, 2011, 11:01 PM

It's simple. You just buy a new phone at the full retail price, just like you would replace any uninsured product. Cheaper options might be available on Craigslist. Also, check to see if your homeowners insurance covers the loss.

SSharon  (op)
Professional Poster
Oct 11, 2011, 11:34 PM

Originally Posted by chabig View Post
It's simple. You just buy a new phone at the full retail price, just like you would replace any uninsured product. Cheaper options might be available on Craigslist. Also, check to see if your homeowners insurance covers the loss.
I think applecare+ is cheaper than most home insurance deductibles.

chabig
Addicted to MacNN
Oct 12, 2011, 12:17 AM

I think applecare+ is cheaper than most home insurance deductibles.
True. I never buy extended warranties, but I'm probably going to buy Applecare+ for my next iPhone purchase.

Big Mac
Clinically Insane
Oct 12, 2011, 12:38 AM

How to add AppleCare+ to your early iPhone 4S order | TUAW - The Unofficial Apple Weblog

Provides good clarification on the issue of AppleCare+ not being available through the carrier pre-order sites. Apple is making a "one-time exception" to the policy because customers aren't aware that the carriers aren't selling AppleCare+. You can apparently add AppleCare+ to your new iPhone within 30 days of ordering by requesting it from an Apple retail salesman within that period. This makes it sound like Apple's not going to offer the coverage through carriers even in the future - that it wasn't a launch period oversight. That's strange because the carriers have sold regular AppleCare up to this point.

Update: Apparently the TUAW doesn't have things completely correct because while AT&T and Verizon don't have AppleCare+, Sprint apparently does. Verizon and AT&T iPhone 4S Missing AppleCare+
( Last edited by Big Mac; Oct 12, 2011 at 12:49 AM. )

SSharon  (op)
Professional Poster
Oct 12, 2011, 09:52 AM

How to add AppleCare+ to your early iPhone 4S order | TUAW - The Unofficial Apple Weblog

Provides good clarification on the issue of AppleCare+ not being available through the carrier pre-order sites. Apple is making a "one-time exception" to the policy because customers aren't aware that the carriers aren't selling AppleCare+. You can apparently add AppleCare+ to your new iPhone within 30 days of ordering by requesting it from an Apple retail salesman within that period. This makes it sound like Apple's not going to offer the coverage through carriers even in the future - that it wasn't a launch period oversight. That's strange because the carriers have sold regular AppleCare up to this point.

Update: Apparently the TUAW doesn't have things completely correct because while AT&T and Verizon don't have AppleCare+, Sprint apparently does. Verizon and AT&T iPhone 4S Missing AppleCare+
At this point, so early in the game, I think Apple will be lenient in making exceptions to allow people to add AC+ within a reasonable time after purchasing the phone. The risk of fraud is lower in the beginning too because the 4S is so new and special that people will probably take extra good care of it until they learn the level of abuse it can withstand.

Also, I got the shipment notification this morning. Huzzah! Now what are the chances my wife will notice if I swap her 4S for my 4? They look the same right?

Forum Links
Forum Rules