Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > News > Mac News > Early reviews call Air 2, Mini 3 best iPads ever, but just iterative

Early reviews call Air 2, Mini 3 best iPads ever, but just iterative
NewsPoster
MacNN Staff
Oct 22, 2014, 12:56 PM

Early reviews of the iPad Air 2 and Mini 3 are beginning to arrive, and are typically touting the tablets as Apple's best ever, but with some caveats. Re/code's Walt Mossberg for instance says they represent a "modest evolutionary improvement over last year's models, not the kind of big change that the first iPad Air or the Retina display iPad mini did last year." He suggests that the Air 2 may be worth buying for people owning an iPad older than last year's model.

Similar sentiments are echoed by publications such as The Verge and the Wall Street Journal. Both sites argue that the iPad mini 3, though, is not as good a value, as the only substantial upgrades from the Mini 2 are the addition of Touch ID and a gold color option, even though it costs $100 more. Shoppers wanting a Mini are urged to consider the previous-generation iPad Mini 2, which has been discounted to as low as $299.

The Air 2 is being praised for features such as its laminated, anti-reflective screen, faster A8X processor, Touch ID support, and thinner chassis. A common complaint, however, is that in order to get that thinner body Apple, has removed the mute/rotation lock switch, forcing people to use the volume buttons or Control Center to accomplish the same tasks.
( Last edited by NewsPoster; Oct 23, 2014 at 01:29 AM. )

Mr. Strat
Dedicated MacNNer
Oct 22, 2014, 01:56 PM

Sure thing - I can afford to buy a new iPad every two years...I'm loaded with money.

Charles Martin
Mac Elite
Oct 22, 2014, 04:12 PM

Although I think the new iPad cycle is going to trigger a mass of upgrading for owners of the first three versions, Wall Street doesn't quite seem to "get it" yet that iPads are more on a computer-like refresh cycle (maybe every four years) rather than every two. I know personally I have an iPad third-generation that works great with iOS 8.1, but I will likely spring for an iPad Air 2 (pretty much solely for the weight and future-proofing) this year. So it's been nearly 2.5 years for me (but then I'm a tech editor and sorta have to keep up with this stuff).
Charles Martin
MacNN Editor

Mike Wuerthele
Managing Editor
Oct 22, 2014, 04:38 PM

We're skipping this generation, for sure. Wife has an Air, I've got a fourth gen. Both are perfectly fine for what we use them for right now.

As a point of fact, Mr. Martin will at some point attempt to do his ENTIRE JOB on an iPad shortly, as he travels the US. I think he's crazycakes.

thinkman
Oct 22, 2014, 09:39 PM

Iterative is good, particularly if it brings a few great features on board. Am I the only one who gets tired of relearning a product that has gone overboard in features and redesigns? A bit off topic, but the new iTunes feels like a regression.They moved a bunch of functions around, not enhancing their utility in the least. They flattened out the fan-like headliners, which only serves to make the interface look unbalanced. There are places where skeuomorphism is more effective than Ive's attempt to flatten everything out!

Forum Links
Forum Rules