Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > News > Mac News > Verizon reveals new prepaid data plans, raises unlimited data cost

Verizon reveals new prepaid data plans, raises unlimited data cost
NewsPoster
MacNN Staff
Oct 12, 2015, 07:08 AM

Verizon is giving customers who use their LTE-equipped tablets and other devices sparingly more options for connecting to the wireless network, with a collection of five new prepaid data plans. At the same time, it has been revealed the carrier is going to be increasing the cost of its grandfathered unlimited data plans, with customers expected to pay an extra $20 per month on their subscription starting from November 15.

The new prepaid data plans start from $15 for 500MB of data usable over the course of a week, with 1GB usable for a month priced at $20. The $35 for 2GB, 5GB for $60, and 10GB for $100 levels all allow the data allowance to be used over a two month period. Verizon is also supporting Auto Pay with the plans, so customers can automatically acquire a new allocation when their existing allowance runs out, though they can still buy the packages whenever the data is needed.

Existing grandfathered unlimited data plan users are currently paying $30 per month to include unlimited data on top of their monthly voice and text plan. Under the change, The Verge reports the same unlimited data component would cost $50 per month, though it will only kick in on accounts that are out of the contracted period and are continuing to pay month-to-month.

The change is likely to make affected subscribers seriously consider their plan, and whether or not to keep continuing to pay for unlimited data. Refreshed in August, Verizon's plans start from 1GB for $30 per month for the data component, while the 3GB plan costs $45 per month, though for both the grandfathered and current plans, you have to add on extra charges for calls and texts. If the subscriber is only a light data user, they may be compelled to make the change, if only to save on their monthly bill.

Inkling
Grizzled Veteran
Oct 12, 2015, 09:12 AM

Why all these needless complexity and complicated plans? Why can't cellular companies simply bill us like our electrical and water suppliers do, charging us for what we actually use? Why do users have to sign up for more than they need to avoid getting stuck with excessive charges? Me... I don't just blame their greed. I blame the government regulators who let them get away with that.
Author of Untangling Tolkien and Chesterton on War and Peace

climacs
Senior User
Oct 12, 2015, 11:57 AM

I don't like the carriers' practices either, but having regulators micromanage how and how much they charge for their services doesn't seem like the answer to me.

Now, if only there were a way to get satellite and cable TV operators to quit forcing me to pay for channels I will never watch...

Forum Links
Forum Rules