Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > Good Way To Stain/Dye White Nylon Plastic?

Good Way To Stain/Dye White Nylon Plastic?
subego
Clinically Insane
Feb 17, 2013, 05:27 PM

This stuff:

I want to color code it. Any ideas?

Thanks!

ghporter
Administrator
Feb 17, 2013, 10:03 PM

According to the spec sheet for that particular plug, it is nylon. While it's harder to dye solid nylon than nylon fabric, it is apparently not that big of a challenge. I'd go with dyeing only the clamp part (the part with the part number), because you have to immerse it in the dye solution to get it to take, and then, of course, it has to dry. Google "dye nylon parts" for a bunch of good sites...

Glenn -----OTR/L, MOT, Tx

reader50
Administrator
Feb 17, 2013, 11:09 PM

If you want a red color, try some of the punch varieties from a supermarket. They work great on nylon carpet, very hard to remove.

subego  (op)
Clinically Insane
Feb 18, 2013, 02:32 AM

Originally Posted by ghporter View Post
According to the spec sheet for that particular plug, it is nylon. While it's harder to dye solid nylon than nylon fabric, it is apparently not that big of a challenge. I'd go with dyeing only the clamp part (the part with the part number), because you have to immerse it in the dye solution to get it to take, and then, of course, it has to dry. Google "dye nylon parts" for a bunch of good sites...
Parts. Parts.

That's the Google magic I was looking for. I kept on getting instructions for spandex.

Most awesome. Thank you!

subego  (op)
Clinically Insane
Feb 18, 2013, 03:08 AM

Originally Posted by reader50 View Post
If you want a red color, try some of the punch varieties from a supermarket. They work great on nylon carpet, very hard to remove.
I think it's time for experimentation with Grape Nehi. Why should red get all the fun?

subego  (op)
Clinically Insane
Feb 18, 2013, 03:14 AM

As an aside, if you ever need to make or repair power cable, these Hubbell Insulgrips are the shit. They're rated for 15 amps but can take 20 without even breathing hard.

Edit: disclaimer: you should know what you're doing if you're going to try and run 20 amps through a 15 amp connector. Electrical fire bad.
( Last edited by subego; Feb 18, 2013 at 04:23 AM. )

ghporter
Administrator
Feb 18, 2013, 07:43 AM

Bubbell plugs are solid. It is easy to install them, the last one I used actually came with an illustrated instruction sheet (kind of overkill for a 3-prong power plug), and they are very secure. While I'd go higher on the specs and get a more expensive plug (from them) if I planned on running more than the rated 15A through it, I would not worry about the plug if I wound up accidentally getting to 20A with one of their 15A plugs.

Please tell me that you know electrical fires are bad on an intellectual, rather than experiential level...

Glenn -----OTR/L, MOT, Tx

subego  (op)
Clinically Insane
Feb 18, 2013, 08:16 AM

Thankfully, when it comes to in-wall. I've been around an exterior one though, and it smells exactly how I imagine the charred hunk of pure evil from Time Bandits smells.

The scenario I run into where I need to use 15 amp hardware for 20 amp service is heavy-duty extension cords. Hubbell doesn't make 15/20 Insulgrip receptacles any more. If I go by the book, I wouldn't be able to use the heavy-duty cords with 15 amp or less equipment. It's easier to make the cords with the 15 amp plug/receptacle, and retrofit your higher amp stuff.

This is knowing what you're doing comes in. I know the difference between 12 and 16 gauge cable, and that I can't plug a retrofitted 20 amp into just any old circuit.

Likewise, I know to keep devices like that away from the uninitiated unless I know everything in play is a 20 amp circuit. This actually happens. I'm often in situations where everybody knows you plug into me rather than the house.

I actually want the color coding mainly so I can "at-a-glance" tell the difference between the 12 and 16 gauge cords. They're not that hard to tell apart by eye, but it's nicer not to have to think about it.

subego  (op)
Clinically Insane
Feb 27, 2013, 03:32 AM

It's a beautiful thing.

Thanks again!

Forum Links
Forum Rules