Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > macOS > Numeric keyboard

Numeric keyboard
Eldberg
Fresh-Faced Recruit
May 22, 2014, 04:16 PM

I am an OLD Mac user. My first Mac was a 512 K "Fat Mac". Through all these years, there is one piece of software which rises above all others as an epitome of user friendliness and efficiency at what it was supposed to do: Microsoft Word 5.1 for Mac.

The top thing about that programme was that it had control of the insertion point via the numeric keyboard. For some unknown reason, Apple decided to abolish this soon after. They wanted to use numeric keyboard for some pointless, useless shortcuts instead.

I want my old word processing power back. Is there ny way to acheive this? PageUp, PageDn, Start, End, move inserion point one character or one word, go to end of sentence, start of sentence, etcetera - all from the numeric keyboard which is a billion times faster than the mouse and a thousand times easier and faster than those stupid arrow keys which should be surgically removed from all kebvoards.

Åke

reader50
Administrator
May 22, 2014, 04:23 PM

You might be able to create keyboard shortcuts to do what you want. Sys prefs -> Keyboard & Mouse -> Keyboard Shortcuts (tab)

Map 5 to the Home key
Map 8, 2, 4, 6 to the up, down, left, right arrows
The diagonals are tricky, since you'd have to map them to two keys apiece. ie - 9 would map to up + right keys. I don't know if keyboard shortcuts will accept multiple keys.
( Last edited by reader50; May 22, 2014 at 04:38 PM. )

ibook_steve
May 22, 2014, 04:53 PM

You might like KeyRemap4MacBook. It has a ton of remapping options in there. Maybe you can find equivalent functionality there.

Steve
Celebrating 10 years and 4000 posts on MacNN!

P
May 22, 2014, 05:26 PM

I always preferred WriteNow, but to each his own.

OS X keybindings can actually be remapped rather extensively. KeyRemap4Macbook above might be the easiest way to do it, but you can also do it by editing prefs files:

https://developer.apple.com/library/...sBindings.html

By default, the shortcuts are the defaults from Emacs, but you can change them as you like.
The new Mac Pro has up to 30 MB of cache inside the processor itself. That's more than the HD in my first Mac. Somehow I'm still running out of space.

ibook_steve
May 22, 2014, 07:21 PM

Oh, how I miss WriteNow! It was the best!

Steve
Celebrating 10 years and 4000 posts on MacNN!

Forum Links
Forum Rules