Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Enthusiast Zone > Gaming > PS3, Wii or XB360

View Poll Results: Which ones would it have to be ?
Poll Options:
Sony PlayStation 3 203 votes (32.02%)
Nintendo Wii 329 votes (51.89%)
Microsoft XBox 360 213 votes (33.60%)
None 34 votes (5.36%)
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 634. You may not vote on this poll
PS3, Wii or XB360 (Page 90)
jokell82
Professional Poster
Sep 22, 2007, 05:38 PM

Originally Posted by starman View Post
No, thanks. I like a real chart that separates SKUs like they should:

1. [PSP] Crisis Core: Final Fantasy VII - 487,000 / NEW
2. [NDS] Pokemon Fushigi no Dungeon: Toki no Tankentai - 300,000 / NEW
3. [NDS] Pokemon Fushigi no Dungeon: Yami no Tankentai - 269,000 / NEW
4. [PSP] Fate/Tiger Colosseum - 55,000 / NEW
5. [PS2] Another Century's Episode 3: The Final - 31,000 / 218,000
6. [NDS] Taiko no Tatsujin DS - 24,000 / 131,000
7. [WII] Mario Party 8 - 24,000 / 756,000
8. [NDS] Final Fantasy: Crystal Chronicles - Ring of Fates - 24,000 / 316,000
9. [PS2] Sengoku Musou 2 Mushouden - 14,000 / 274,000
10. [NDS] My Housekeeping Diary - 13,000 / 195,000
So, in other words, you want to hide from the truth that even though the PSP had the highest selling software title for that week, they still got trounced by total software sales. Gotcha.

All glory to the hypnotoad.

starman
Clinically Insane
Sep 22, 2007, 05:38 PM

Originally Posted by jokell82 View Post
That depends if you fall for Sony's marketing. You obviously do.
Duh.

Home - Twitter - Sig Wall-Retired - Flickr

starman
Clinically Insane
Sep 22, 2007, 05:39 PM

So, in other words, you want to hide from the truth that even though the PSP had the highest selling software title for that week, they still got trounced by total software sales. Gotcha.
What truth? That Nintendo cheats and puts out double titles at a time when they know they're gonna get their asses handed to them?

jokell82
Professional Poster
Sep 22, 2007, 05:41 PM

What truth? That Nintendo cheats and puts out double titles at a time when they know they're gonna get their asses handed to them?

Ok man, whatever. Nintendo cheats their way into 78+ million software sales for the DS. Got it.

starman
Clinically Insane
Sep 22, 2007, 06:05 PM

Ok man, whatever. Nintendo cheats their way into 78+ million software sales for the DS. Got it.
What is it with you fanboys that take something out of context and run with it? Did I say anything about 78+ million for everything or just Nintendo's track record of dual and triple titles?

Of course nobody answered my question - do you think the same number of titles would have sold if there were only one SKU?

jokell82
Professional Poster
Sep 22, 2007, 06:18 PM

I still think it's funny that you consider me a fanboy, considering I sold my DS Lite and my Wii sits unplayed in a closet. But if it makes things easier for you, whatever. It makes you seem a bit foolish from this perspective, though.

I think the number would be slightly lower, but it would've been the #1 seller that week had their only been one SKU. But that is my opinion and there's no way to really know.

goMac
Posting Junkie
Sep 22, 2007, 09:05 PM

2. [PSP] Crisis Core: Final Fantasy VII - 489,007 / 489,007
3. [PSP] Fate / Tiger Colosseum - 55,168 / 55,168
In other words, pretty much the only thing that sold on the PSP was Final Fantasy.
8 Core 2.8 ghz Mac Pro/GF8800/2 23" Cinema Displays, 3.06 ghz Macbook Pro
Once you wanted revolution, now you're the institution, how's it feel to be the man?

goMac
Posting Junkie
Sep 22, 2007, 09:07 PM

I think we should no longer count of the editions of Windows Vista as one operating system in our statistics. Microsoft is cheating. From now on, when quoting operating system sales statistics, I will count all versions of Windows separately. This easily makes Mac OS X the highest selling operating system.
Once you wanted revolution, now you're the institution, how's it feel to be the man?

goMac
Posting Junkie
Sep 22, 2007, 09:09 PM

Of course nobody answered my question - do you think the same number of titles would have sold if there were only one SKU?
Yes.

starman
Clinically Insane
Sep 22, 2007, 09:14 PM

Originally Posted by goMac View Post
Yes.
This comes from the same person who thinks Pokemon isn't popular

starman
Clinically Insane
Sep 22, 2007, 09:16 PM

In other words, pretty much the only thing that sold on the PSP was Final Fantasy.
They beat three other NDS titles. I'm sure you have some fanboyish excuse for that as well.

starman
Clinically Insane
Sep 22, 2007, 09:17 PM

Originally Posted by highstakes View Post
well, seems like this thread was hijacked
You haven't read this thread much, have you?

goMac
Posting Junkie
Sep 22, 2007, 09:28 PM

This comes from the same person who thinks Pokemon isn't popular
You know what else? Microsoft is probably going to count all 3 editions of Halo 3 as one game on the charts. That is completely cheating (those evil Microsoft cheaters). Halo 3 should have one place on the chart for each edition. That way they can't cheat and take the top spot on the cart.

I bet those honest Sony people separate out all their sku's on the charts, right? Like I'm sure each PS3 SKU is ranked separately. Each PSP sku also.

highstakes
Senior User
Sep 23, 2007, 12:43 AM

You haven't read this thread much, have you?
Well, I figured there would be PS3 vs. Wii vs. 360 arguments, not portables.

starman
Clinically Insane
Sep 23, 2007, 12:52 AM

You know what else? Microsoft is probably going to count all 3 editions of Halo 3 as one game on the charts. That is completely cheating (those evil Microsoft cheaters). Halo 3 should have one place on the chart for each edition. That way they can't cheat and take the top spot on the cart.

I bet those honest Sony people separate out all their sku's on the charts, right? Like I'm sure each PS3 SKU is ranked separately. Each PSP sku also.
Do you need to buy each version of Halo in order to finish the game completely?

Didn't think so. Nice try.

iFan
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Sep 23, 2007, 02:52 AM

Wii is fun with friends.

AC Rempt
Mac Enthusiast
Sep 23, 2007, 12:07 PM

Originally Posted by iFan View Post
Wii is fun with friends.
But if I had friends, why would I play video games?

goMac
Posting Junkie
Sep 23, 2007, 08:12 PM

Do you need to buy each version of Halo in order to finish the game completely?
Yeah, I'm not a Pokemon expert.... but I don't think you have to buy both versions to finish the game. I'm sure there are certain side parts of the game are locked, but do you seriously think people are buying both versions?

- - e r i k - -
Posting Junkie
Sep 23, 2007, 08:14 PM

The different Pokémon versions and extra content are to encourage friends to buy the two separate versions and then link up. It's a social aspect of the Pokémon franchise.

[ fb ] [ flickr ] [♬] [scl] [ last ] [ plaxo ]

goMac
Posting Junkie
Sep 23, 2007, 08:18 PM

Originally Posted by - - e r i k - - View Post
The different Pokémon versions and extra content are to encourage friends to buy the two separate versions and then link up. It's a social aspect of the Pokémon franchise.
Right, I remember when my friends used to Red and Blue back in Junior High that was how it worked. Regardless, both versions are the same plot and you don't have to buy both to finish the game. I never actually knew anyone who owned both Red and Blue.

starman
Clinically Insane
Sep 23, 2007, 10:23 PM

Err...so why not just make one game? Why do they always put out these dual games?

starman
Clinically Insane
Sep 23, 2007, 10:25 PM

Video Game Chartz - Nintendo - Sony - Microsoft - News

PSP software – The top selling title for the week, Final Fantasy VII: Crisis Core, sold an additional 100,000 to 115,000 units this week. Metal Gear Solid Portable Ops and its limited edition combined to sell 78,000 and 88,000 units this week. Fate/Tiger Coliseum sold another 8,000 to 12,000 units this week as well. Monster Hunter Portable 2 returned to the top twenty this week as well – selling 9,000 to 12,000 units. PSP hardware should be up significantly this week – on the strength of the new hardware and strong sales for Metal Gear and Final Fantasy. Expect PSP to move 185,000 to 255,000 units this week, depending on the number of PSPs available.

DS software – Pokemon Mystery Dungeon (both versions combined) sold 155,000 to 175,000 units. Tutor Hitman Reborn sold 14,000 to 18,000 units this week. One other title, which does not translate well into English, sold 5,000 to 7,000 units this week. DS hardware should remain essentially flat – at around 70,000 units.

- - e r i k - -
Posting Junkie
Sep 23, 2007, 10:37 PM

Err...so why not just make one game? Why do they always put out these dual games?
What part of what was just discussed did you not comprehend?

starman
Clinically Insane
Sep 23, 2007, 10:49 PM

What part of what was just discussed did you not comprehend?
The part where you said you HAD to buy two games. Why do they HAVE to make TWO games? Why not make ONE game and put the same content in each? Kids are going to buy it anyway.

Answer: marketing, because you KNOW there are people that buy one of each for themselves so they make up this artificial need for people to buy two.

goMac
Posting Junkie
Sep 23, 2007, 11:01 PM

The part where you said you HAD to buy two games. Why do they HAVE to make TWO games? Why not make ONE game and put the same content in each? Kids are going to buy it anyway.
Huh? Where did he say that? I thought he said very specifically you don't have to buy both games.

Answer: marketing, because you KNOW there are people that buy one of each for themselves so they make up this artificial need for people to buy two.
Did I not just say I never knew anybody who bought both versions of a Pokemon game? It would be kind of boring, playing the same game twice and all...

- - e r i k - -
Posting Junkie
Sep 23, 2007, 11:17 PM

Well, that explains what he had problems comprehending all right.

starman
Clinically Insane
Sep 23, 2007, 11:54 PM

Huh? Where did he say that? I thought he said very specifically you don't have to buy both games.
"The different Pokémon versions and extra content are to encourage friends to buy the two separate versions and then link up. It's a social aspect of the Pokémon franchise."

So again, I'll ask - why does Nintendo MAKE you buy TWO versions? Why not make it like Animal Crossing where there's only one? You said yourself there's locked content on each. That FORCES people to buy TWO copies to get everything.

"Social aspect" my ass.

- - e r i k - -
Posting Junkie
Sep 24, 2007, 12:00 AM

Are you still not reading this right or are you being intentionally stupid? Maybe you just don't have friends (which would explain a lot). No one buys TWO copies of the game. Rather two friends would buy different versions of the SAME game, which enables them to trade Pokémons and extra content with each other.

Pokémon is a trading game at heart, and this is a way of translating that into electronic form.

starman
Clinically Insane
Sep 24, 2007, 12:25 AM

Are you still not reading this right or are you being intentionally stupid? Maybe you just don't have friends (which would explain a lot). No one buys TWO copies of the game. Rather two friends would buy different versions of the SAME game, which enables them to trade Pokémons and extra content with each other.

Pokémon is a trading game at heart, and this is a way of translating that into electronic form.
I have lots of friends, just none that buy Pokemon games, myself included. Yes, people buy TWO copies of the game. Even icruise said above that people buy two copies to "catch them all".

You still, STILL didn't answer my question: WHY MAKE TWO GAMES? What is preventing Nintendo from putting 100% of the content into ONE game? So it's a trading game. What does that mean? You could trade rare items in Animal Crossing. What's preventing it here?

Answer (again): Nintendo's counting on people buying one copy each of the two versions of the game (hence: inflated sales). Are you denying this happens?

If you put 100% of the items in one game then you don't have this problem. I had to buy one copy of each for my two kids. Did you? I f'n hated the fact that I had to do it. If they put all the content in one game I wouldn't have had to.

I'm waiting for Pokemon: **** and Shinola edition

icruise
Moderator Emeritus
Sep 24, 2007, 12:29 AM

So Nintendo makes a little extra by putting out two versions of the game. Why do you take it as a personal affront?

starman
Clinically Insane
Sep 24, 2007, 12:38 AM

Originally Posted by icruise View Post
So Nintendo makes a little extra by putting out two versions of the game. Why do you take it as a personal affront?
Because I think it's wrong that they clump two games with minor differences as one title. There's no way to track how many people are really buying one or both and it skews the numbers. You said yourself that people have to "collect them all". I find it hard to believe that people are only buying one copy and depending on friends to have the second one.

- - e r i k - -
Posting Junkie
Sep 24, 2007, 12:47 AM

You have no clue about marketing or games so there's not really much to about you than to ignore you.

goMac
Posting Junkie
Sep 24, 2007, 12:48 AM

I have lots of friends, just none that buy Pokemon games, myself included. Yes, people buy TWO copies of the game. Even icruise said above that people buy two copies to "catch them all".
That's a little different than "ZOMG they can't finish the game unless they buy BOTH COPIES!!11!11!!!"

You still, STILL didn't answer my question: WHY MAKE TWO GAMES? What is preventing Nintendo from putting 100% of the content into ONE game? So it's a trading game. What does that mean? You could trade rare items in Animal Crossing. What's preventing it here?
Because this is how every Pokemon game has worked?

Answer (again): Nintendo's counting on people buying one copy each of the two versions of the game (hence: inflated sales). Are you denying this happens?
You'd have to be a complete fanboy to buy two copies of the game, play through the exact same single player twice, and then have two DS's and trade with yourself.

If you put 100% of the items in one game then you don't have this problem. I had to buy one copy of each for my two kids. Did you? I f'n hated the fact that I had to do it. If they put all the content in one game I wouldn't have had to.
You seriously did that for your kids? Why not give them each one of the versions and then let them trade with each other?

I'm waiting for Pokemon: **** and Shinola edition
Apparently your kids forgot to tell you it's nearly the exact same game on each, just a few different Pokemon unique to each version.

Ugh, I'm arguing about Pokemon... I feel so dirty...

highstakes
Senior User
Sep 24, 2007, 12:58 AM

Since its wrong for Nintendo to clump two games with minor differences as one title, you should go after Sony and MS for one making a console that has a built in drive that really no gamer has use for, and one making a console that has 30% failure rate.

Demonhood
Administrator
Sep 24, 2007, 02:07 AM

can this thread please move on to more interesting (and relevant) subject matter?
i think the last few pages can officially put people into comas now.

jokell82
Professional Poster
Sep 24, 2007, 06:14 AM

I thought Penny Arcade was pretty hilarious today:

starman
Clinically Insane
Sep 24, 2007, 08:49 AM

You seriously did that for your kids? Why not give them each one of the versions and then let them trade with each other?
That's what I just said

Eug
Clinically Insane
Sep 26, 2007, 08:56 PM

Halo 3 rakes in 170 million in 24 hours

1 million Halo 3 players were on Xbox Live that day too.

P.S. I didn't buy it. I didn't own the original Xbox and thus never ended up jumping on the Halo train.

pyrite
Mac Enthusiast
Sep 26, 2007, 09:53 PM

Originally Posted by Eug View Post
Halo 3 rakes in 170 million in 24 hours

1 million Halo 3 players were on Xbox Live that day too.

P.S. I didn't buy it. I didn't own the original Xbox and thus never ended up jumping on the Halo train.
pwnage

good work Bungie
Hear and download my debut EP 'Ice Pictures' for free here

Jawbone54
Posting Junkie
Sep 26, 2007, 11:11 PM

My friends have told me they're already a bit turned off with Halo 3 for not being "different" enough, particularly in multiplayer. They said they love the games, but they feel like they're just doing the same thing they've always done, and don't think they'll be playing Halo 3 online nearly as long as they played Halo 2.

pyrite
Mac Enthusiast
Sep 26, 2007, 11:19 PM

Originally Posted by Jawbone54 View Post
My friends have told me they're already a bit turned off with Halo 3 for not being "different" enough, particularly in multiplayer. They said they love the games, but they feel like they're just doing the same thing they've always done, and don't think they'll be playing Halo 3 online nearly as long as they played Halo 2.
They're insane, and they're obviously missing the point of Halo 3. There's SO much to keep halo 3 fresh and distinct from Halo 2, whether it be the new maps, the forge, the replay editor, the new vehicles and weapons... if they feel like they're doing the same old thing all over again, then Bungie have done a great job of creating a new game with an amazing feature set that still feels exactly like Halo. Funnily enough, that thing they're compaining about is the very same thing that makes me love Halo 3 so much... it's still Halo. It's supposed to have synergy and uniformity as a trilogy, and that's exactly what it has.

It's no secret that Halo 3 multiplayer is basically Halo 2 multiplayer on steroids. They've taken a great formula and made it near perfect. And, most importantly, it's unbelievably freaking FUN
Hear and download my debut EP 'Ice Pictures' for free here

jokell82
Professional Poster
Sep 27, 2007, 08:11 AM

After reading about "The Forge" I will rescind my comments about Halo 3 being just another FPS. That is actually a unique and original idea and it sounds like a hell of a lot of fun.

And since I'm done with Bioshock and Halo 3 is only $49 at Costco right now, I just may pick it up.

starman
Clinically Insane
Sep 27, 2007, 08:36 AM

I had no idea the game saves everything you did. I go to Theater Mode and there's everything I did in-game, and you can play it all back, take screenshots, shorten movies. That's friggin' amazing. I can't seem to figure out how to go backwards during playback, though.

starman
Clinically Insane
Sep 27, 2007, 09:31 AM

PSP Slim sells over 300,000 in Japan alone

News - PSP Slim sells 300k in Japan // PSP /// Eurogamer

sek929
Posting Junkie
Sep 27, 2007, 11:28 AM

I haven't even played Matchmaking yet and already I'm impressed with the variety of weapons and vehicles (the Brute Hammer is so much friggin fun).

If the online gameplay is the same as Halo 2 I wouldn't see that as a negative. Even now there are 80,000+ people still playing Halo 2. Updated graphics, new weapons, new vehicles, save files, and Forge....all massive pluses for a game that was legendary already.

highstakes
Senior User
Sep 27, 2007, 12:01 PM

PSP Slim sells over 300,000 in Japan alone

News - PSP Slim sells 300k in Japan // PSP /// Eurogamer
That sounds pretty good. This new PSP is actually a better competitor to the DS Lite, but I dont think I will trade in my current one for this new one.

Hawkeye_a  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Sep 27, 2007, 02:09 PM

Nintendo is now Japan's second-biggest company by market cap, second only to auto manufacturer Toyota.

FT.com / Companies / Asia-Pacific - Nintendo market cap rockets

Nintendo surpassing Sony in market cap could have been predicted over a year ago, but becoming Japans second-biggest company is quite an impressive feat for a gimmickey-toy-manufacturer, imo.

This is an indication of how Nintendo is doing in the worldwide market place. I wonder if innovative software&hardware actually appeal to a larger(and broader) audience than blu-ray and hd-game consoles, and if this is in turn any indication as to whether the gimmick touch-screen and motion-sensitive wiimote have a greater market value than hd-graphics. Just a thought.

Cheers
PS>> I know the PS3 hasnt overtaken the Wii, but i think it's worth pointing out this milestone, expecially since there are many here who at some point in the last 5 years beleived(if not wanted and hoped) Nintendo would go the way of SEGA or would be baught out by their bigger competitors (well Sony is smaller now, but anyway).
( Last edited by Hawkeye_a; Sep 27, 2007 at 03:43 PM. )

exca1ibur
Mac Elite
Sep 27, 2007, 03:30 PM

You have to give Nintendo credit, all around. They have always made a profit on every major console they have made. They don't have any major overhead that the competition has and their consoles pretty much sell a little over cost at launch and they are great at knowing their market and how to tap it.

I really wish Sega was still in the hardware game personally though. The Sega, Nintendo era was the best era for gaming, IMO. (SNES vs Genesis). Both were affordable so having both was an easy option. Sega stumbled the next generation and then it was too late.

starman
Clinically Insane
Sep 27, 2007, 04:03 PM

I never liked the pre-Dreamcast Sega hardware.

exca1ibur
Mac Elite
Sep 27, 2007, 05:05 PM

The Genesis was a blast. I was into sports games, a lot, at the time. They had that market locked down there. The Dreamcast was by far the best hardware they ever made. I wish it had a chance to stay in the game, they had some classic stuff there.

Forum Links
Forum Rules