Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Enthusiast Zone > Networking > eMac, full bars no internet

eMac, full bars no internet
BioShock
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Apr 12, 2010, 09:53 AM

I am using an eMac with 10.5.6 OSX.
I usually just put my computer into sleep mode overnight. Well one morning I woke up and it was completely off. When I turned it back on it said it was Wed, December 31, 1969 at 7:41 PM (note this was most definitely around ten in the morning yesturday) I manually reset the date and time so thats not a major worry. I use Airport to connect to the internet wirelessly. I have full bars but when I click on Safari or enternet explorer or whatever, it says I am not connected to the internet.

The things I have tried:
1) restarting my computer
2)turning off and on Airport, tried this probably three times.
3)when I go into System Preferences - Network, there is an "Assist Me" button. I did that and made a new location and what not, but then it is like make sure it is set up to connect to the internet, and when I click continue it says it cannot connect to the internet.
4)When I open Airport Utility it says it can't find an Airport wireless device, and yet
it has full bars of connection so it must know there is something there...right?

pleasepleaseplease help

iMOTOR
Mac Elite
Apr 12, 2010, 02:03 PM

What router/base station are you using? Where are you getting your internet? (eg. DSL, cable, fiber)

Just because you have bars, doesn’t mean your base station has a network connection.

The Airport Utility App only talks to Apple base stations, so if, for example, you have a linksys router, it’s not going to show up there.

The fact that the time/date got reset is probably unrelated to not having a network connection.

BioShock  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Apr 12, 2010, 02:14 PM

Belkin54g and my internet comes from cable through Bright House

BioShock  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Apr 12, 2010, 02:17 PM

Oh and there are 3 other computers using it that have internet connection

iMOTOR
Mac Elite
Apr 12, 2010, 02:20 PM

Have you tried using the reset button on your cable modem? And if it doesn’t have a reset button; you can just unplug it from power, then plug it back in again.

Try doing the same with the Belkin.

BioShock  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Apr 12, 2010, 02:26 PM

I did it but my computer still doesn't have internet... my isp, internet, and server fails but my airport is working fine. When I reset it connected back to belkin but the internet still isn't there.

iMOTOR
Mac Elite
Apr 12, 2010, 02:40 PM

What kind of wireless security are you using?

BioShock  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Apr 12, 2010, 02:42 PM

WEP 128 hex

iMOTOR
Mac Elite
Apr 12, 2010, 03:03 PM

Go to Spotlight and type “Network Utility”. Inside Network Utility click the Info tab; what does it say your IP address is?

Try clicking on the Ping tab; type:

Does it ping?

BioShock  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Apr 12, 2010, 03:11 PM

my IP address is 169.254.47.96

and yes it did ping

iMOTOR
Mac Elite
Apr 12, 2010, 03:33 PM

Alright, go to Safari and type 192.168.2.1 into the address bar, you should probably do this on one of the other computers.

I’m not really familiar with Belkin routers but; it will probably ask you for a username and a password, if you have never set a password for the router before, then try either; leaving the fields blank, typing admin into one or both fields, or typing default into one or both fields. Once you get in, there should be a Status page somewhere.

Did you set this router up, or did someone else?

BioShock  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Apr 12, 2010, 03:43 PM

Do I have to go through Safari on a dif computer or can I use internet explorer (even if I want my main on my mac to be Safari)? because I have to download safari onto the other computers if I want to go through Safari. And also, it just opened up the web page it didn't ask me for a pass.

iMOTOR
Mac Elite
Apr 12, 2010, 06:04 PM

I guess I assumed your other computers were Macs also. So, no it doesn’t have to be Safari.

seanc
Moderator Emeritus
Apr 12, 2010, 07:24 PM

You're not getting an IP address, perhaps you had a static IP assigned before?

Forum Links
Forum Rules