Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > macOS > The official Lion thread™

The official Lion thread™ (Page 3)
turtle777
Clinically Insane
Jul 22, 2011, 03:50 PM

Geez, you should complain to Intuit for being such a shitty software company.

-t

Spheric Harlot
Clinically Insane
Jul 22, 2011, 03:50 PM

This is neither Apple's problem, nor their fault.

Intuit haven't supported the architecture Apple chose OVER FIVE YEARS AGO.

If you cannot live without the particular services Intuit - and only Intuit - supply, then it's time to re-assess your life, or come to terms with reality and install Parallels.

turtle777
Clinically Insane
Jul 22, 2011, 03:53 PM

^^^ Exactly what I did.

Quicken runs reasonably well in Parallels.

If you want to stick it to Intuit, just pirate Quicken for PC.
And then send them a $1 money order with a note, saying you're only paying what you conceive to be reasonable

-t

besson3c
Clinically Insane
Jul 22, 2011, 04:03 PM

Originally Posted by dprb View Post
I snail mailed this to Steve Jobs: I am TICKED!

I have been a loyal Apple supporter/user/shareholder since the beginning. I still have a working Mac SE/30 to run a piece of indispensable software that requires the former. I upgrade regularly and buy new Mac often - currently a 21.5" iMac 8 GB 1 TB HD with 3.6 GHz i5 CPu and 15" Mac book Pro with 500 GB HD and also 2TB Time Capsule. Still working are a G4 iBook and G4 Desktop.

I cannot LIVE without Quicken 2007. I have put up with Intuit's windoze preference, since current features are adequate. Quicken Essentials is a CROCK! and iBank is still a work in progress when it comes to reporting. I have finances in multiple countries and a complex tax return. I HATE WINDOZE and will NEVER RUN it on my Mac - I ran a large DOS network for many years ("a departmental "cloud"). I know Windoze shortcomings well and it is JUST NOT COOL! And I was in computing 30 years before Apple was born!

Since you are killing Rosetta with OS X Lion and thus Quicken 2007, I WILL NOT upgrade and will delay buying my usual new Macs for some years - both our loss. Shame! As a shareholder I would expect you to treat your users better.

I'm sorry, and I'm far from an Apple fanboy, but this is completely unreasonable.

Apple cannot continue to support things in perpetuity. Quicken 2007 is not going to just magically become a universal app one day. There is no future in clinging to it, and that is not Apple's problem. Additionally, you have a number of options: a Windows VM, another product, etc.

I also suggest taking out the emotional ranting from letters such as this, they are probably more likely to be taken seriously with a more matter-of-fact tone. Apple gets rants all the time in their support forums, I'm pretty sure they are used to them and just tune them out as a force of habit.

besson3c
Clinically Insane
Jul 22, 2011, 04:04 PM

Originally Posted by turtle777 View Post
^^^ Exactly what I did.

Quicken runs reasonably well in Parallels.

If you want to stick it to Intuit, just pirate Quicken for PC.
And then send them a $1 money order with a note, saying you're only paying what you conceive to be reasonable

-t

You could also pirate a copy of Windows and run it in Virtualbox so that you don't have to pirate Parallels/Fusion.

hart
Senior User
Jul 22, 2011, 06:00 PM

OK, not to be a nag but still wondering. Before I shoot off $40 or $50 just to buy Snow Leopard for one computer on our network can I install Lion on a computer that isn't running Snow Leopard using other computers in our network to handle the download or not? Is it the download that's the problem (ie. app store) or the actual installing?

Ham Sandwich
Jul 22, 2011, 06:12 PM

People still use Quicken? *empathetic shrug*

Well I'm on 10.7 and I sure do like the new license terms in Section 2: You may install one copy of the software on each of your Macs running Snow Leopard (shame I have only one).

Gripe: The traffic light buttons need to be bigger, not smaller. I mean it's easier for me to close windows/tabs on an iPad than it is to aim and click on a Macbook. Geez... unless it's something obvious in the Preferences, but I didn't see any "make big traffic lights" option anywhere.

besson3c
Clinically Insane
Jul 22, 2011, 06:16 PM

Originally Posted by hart View Post
OK, not to be a nag but still wondering. Before I shoot off $40 or $50 just to buy Snow Leopard for one computer on our network can I install Lion on a computer that isn't running Snow Leopard using other computers in our network to handle the download or not? Is it the download that's the problem (ie. app store) or the actual installing?
You need the Mac App store to handle the download, but you can also buy Lion on a USB drive which would probably be cheaper than purchasing both Snow Leopard and Lion.

hart
Senior User
Jul 22, 2011, 06:33 PM

Originally Posted by besson3c View Post
You need the Mac App store to handle the download, but you can also buy Lion on a USB drive which would probably be cheaper than purchasing both Snow Leopard and Lion.
Didn't I read the USB drive was going to be $60? I'll be buying Lion anyway for all the other machines. At this moment single user of Snow Leopard can be had for $40 and family pack for $50. I keep thinking I ought to have the SL disk in hand for when the whole thing blows up in my face.

Spheric Harlot
Clinically Insane
Jul 22, 2011, 06:44 PM

Originally Posted by Andrej View Post
Gripe: The traffic light buttons need to be bigger, not smaller. I mean it's easier for me to close windows/tabs on an iPad than it is to aim and click on a Macbook. Geez... unless it's something obvious in the Preferences, but I didn't see any "make big traffic lights" option anywhere.
According to Siracusa at Ars, the clickable area is *exactly* the same - it's just that the buttons have moved closer together. I assume that's why they were made smaller.

Waragainstsleep
Posting Junkie
Jul 22, 2011, 06:44 PM

So does the final version of Lion require Snow Leopard to be installed on a connected drive or can you put it straight onto a completely blank disk?
I have plenty of more important things to do, if only I could bring myself to do them....

besson3c
Clinically Insane
Jul 22, 2011, 06:46 PM

Originally Posted by Waragainstsleep View Post
So does the final version of Lion require Snow Leopard to be installed on a connected drive or can you put it straight onto a completely blank disk?

I don't see why it would require Snow Leopard. Looking at the Lion disk image it appears to be a complete bootable OS, and not just an upgrade kit.

Art Vandelay
Professional Poster
Jul 22, 2011, 06:53 PM

You don't need Snow Leopard to install Lion. You need Snow Leopard to download the Lion installer.
Vandelay Industries

imitchellg5
Posting Junkie
Jul 22, 2011, 07:28 PM

I have been a loyal Apple supporter/user/shareholder since the beginning. I still have a working Mac SE/30 to run a piece of indispensable software that requires the former. I upgrade regularly and buy new Mac often - currently a 21.5" iMac 8 GB 1 TB HD with 3.6 GHz i5 CPu and 15" Mac book Pro with 500 GB HD and also 2TB Time Capsule. Still working are a G4 iBook and G4 Desktop.

I cannot LIVE without Quicken 2007. I have put up with Intuit's windoze preference, since current features are adequate. Quicken Essentials is a CROCK! and iBank is still a work in progress when it comes to reporting. I have finances in multiple countries and a complex tax return. I HATE WINDOZE and will NEVER RUN it on my Mac - I ran a large DOS network for many years ("a departmental "cloud"). I know Windoze shortcomings well and it is JUST NOT COOL! And I was in computing 30 years before Apple was born!

Since you are killing Rosetta with OS X Lion and thus Quicken 2007, I WILL NOT upgrade and will delay buying my usual new Macs for some years - both our loss. Shame! As a shareholder I would expect you to treat your users better.
It's Steve Jobs' fault that your 4 year-old piece of software (actually 5) doesn't run on Apple's 2011 OS release? What is so bad about Quicken Essentials? This seems like your fault, not Apple's. You didn't have to upgrade to Lion. Also, it has been very well known that 10.7 would drop Rosetta. Also, you still have two G4s, so if it's really that important to you...

kenm75232
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jul 22, 2011, 07:39 PM

Originally Posted by Art Vandelay View Post
You don't need Snow Leopard to install Lion. You need Snow Leopard to download the Lion installer.
LOL, I believe that gave me a headache! Since at the moment the only option to get Lion is to download I would think that would mean that yes, you do have to run Snow Leopard. I could be wrong (happens frequently).

Art Vandelay
Professional Poster
Jul 22, 2011, 07:40 PM

This person was in computing 30 years before Apple came about. It's more likely dprb will be EOL'd before anything is done with Quicken 2007.
Vandelay Industries

gradient
Mac Elite
Jul 22, 2011, 09:42 PM

Cool new text entry feature: holding down a key no longer enters multiples of the corresponding character. Instead, holding it down for a second will bring up a pop-up with additional character options (accents, etc.). Very usefull for those who what to construct at least pseudo-proper sentences. Less usefull for those who want to type "HAAAAaaaaahahahahahhahahahaaaaaaaa!!!!!!!"

Eug
Clinically Insane
Jul 22, 2011, 10:02 PM

If you make a Lion boot disk or a boot drive, can you update from Leopard to Lion? Or would this require a clean install?

My friend bought Snow Leopard just so he can install Lion.

---

This sounds too much like a troll post. It's his only post, and then there's also that snail mail reference.

Macfreak7
Mac Elite
Jul 23, 2011, 02:20 AM

Originally Posted by Laminar View Post
I was able to make a bootable Lion install flash drive using the following steps:

*snip*
I used my TM backup to retrieve the install app instead of re-downloading.

Not sure if this is a bug or what, but CMD-T in safari doesn't always move the cursor to the address bar. In many cases I had to drag my mouse all the way up there and tap before entering a url/text.

Aside from that loving Lion. Auto-save is awesome so far. Still haven't used the "history/version" feature for auto saved documents.
And of course still getting used to the scrolling, even tho. most gestures don't work on my late 2006 MBP.

BTW, feels snappy too.
( Last edited by Macfreak7; Jul 23, 2011 at 02:23 AM. Reason: yes)

Brien
Professional Poster
Jul 23, 2011, 02:32 AM

I installed it Day 1. I like it. Some features I will never use (Launchpad for one) but I like the UI enhancements, fullscreen apps, and Mission Control. Fullscreen apps and the new window resizing are very much derived from Windows but that's not so terrible, as they are improvements IMO.

Macfreak7
Mac Elite
Jul 23, 2011, 03:18 AM

Tiny bug in Safari, someone please confirm.
-Open multiple tabs.
-Close right most tab.
-Try closing the next tab selected. It seems to be missing the mouse over "close button".

Temp. solution : click another tab and then try closing.

Spheric Harlot
Clinically Insane
Jul 23, 2011, 03:20 AM

Originally Posted by Macfreak7 View Post

Not sure if this is a bug or what, but CMD-T in safari doesn't always move the cursor to the address bar. In many cases I had to drag my mouse all the way up there and tap before entering a url/text.
I'm confused. The command has been Cmd-L for as long as I can remember. Does that work?

Macfreak7
Mac Elite
Jul 23, 2011, 03:42 AM

Originally Posted by Spheric Harlot View Post
I'm confused. The command has been Cmd-L for as long as I can remember. Does that work?
Sorry about the ambiguity. I meant after you CMD-T to open a new tab, previously the cursor by default moved to the address bar. In Lion tho. this is not always the case anymore. Seems a little inconsistent. Probably a bug.

ajprice
Professional Poster
Jul 23, 2011, 05:51 AM

Is there an option to turn off the iPhone style autocorrect when typing? Not sure about it and I'd like to try it with and without.

It'll be much easier if you just comply.

mmurray
Grizzled Veteran
Jul 23, 2011, 06:43 AM

You can make a bootable Lion installer on an 8 GB USB stick using the approach here. I tried it and it worked fine. The USB stick becomes a copy of the Emergency Startup Disk partition Lion creates and has a copy of DiskCopy, Terminal and Safari for looking for info on the web and, of course, a Lion installer.

Michael

CharlesS
Posting Junkie
Jul 23, 2011, 06:56 AM

Originally Posted by ajprice View Post
Is there an option to turn off the iPhone style autocorrect when typing? Not sure about it and I'd like to try it with and without.
System Prefs -> Language & Text -> Text. It's the first thing I turned off. I didn't like that automistake feature when Word came out with it 18 years ago*, and I don't like it now. The last thing I need is to have this on my Mac...

* It's really been that long? God, I'm getting old.

Ticking sound coming from a .pkg package? Don't let the .bom go off! Inspect it first with Pacifist. Macworld - five mice!

Spheric Harlot
Clinically Insane
Jul 23, 2011, 08:00 AM

Originally Posted by CharlesS View Post
* It's really been that long? God, I'm getting old.
I hear you.

I've been using Macs for twenty-two years now, apparently. I remember when I started off that Microsoft already had a reputation for using "non-standard" programming and interfaces in Word.

Ham Sandwich
Jul 23, 2011, 08:53 AM

Originally Posted by Laminar View Post
And the computer won't wake from display sleep with just mouse movement, just clicks.
What annoys me is that running my finger along the trackpad won't wake up the screen (a minute before going to sleep, used to be able to do this in 10.6).

Spheric Harlot
Clinically Insane
Jul 23, 2011, 08:58 AM

Isn't that what Laminar said?

Cold Warrior
Jul 23, 2011, 10:08 AM

I can't swipe back or forward in Firefox anymore. Didn't that work in Snow Leopard?

btw, option-clicking Purchased did allow me to re-download it. Good catch.

Thorzdad
Jul 23, 2011, 10:13 AM

Originally Posted by Cold Warrior View Post
I can't swipe back or forward in Firefox anymore. Didn't that work in Snow Leopard?
Yeah, it works great in SL. I use the swipe forward/backward in Firefox all the time. Is the swipe working for you in Safari?

Cold Warrior
Jul 23, 2011, 10:14 AM

yeah, it works in Safari very well.

Thorzdad
Jul 23, 2011, 10:28 AM

Weird. I can't imagine why it wouldn't also work in FF, then.
There's this short thread on the Firefox help boards. I'm betting you've already checked this, though.

Cold Warrior
Jul 23, 2011, 11:17 AM

unfortunately choosing that option disables 3-finger drag. I'll give it some time and see which one is more useful. Maybe FF will patch it.

gradient
Mac Elite
Jul 23, 2011, 11:28 AM

Interestingly, this issue exists in at least two of Apple's own applications as well: iTunes store and the App Store. I turned off the 'Swipe between full-screen apps' option so that I could use two finger swipes to go forward/back in those applications (and in Safari, for that matter, as the fingle finger swipe doesn't do a page reload).

gradient
Mac Elite
Jul 23, 2011, 11:43 AM

Tiny bug in Safari, someone please confirm.
-Open multiple tabs.
-Close right most tab.
-Try closing the next tab selected. It seems to be missing the mouse over "close button".

Temp. solution : click another tab and then try closing.
I can't verify that problem; closing sequential tabs is working fine for me. There's something buggy going on in Safari, though, because I had another odd problem that went away completely when I quit and restarted: searching. I spent several minutes trying to figure out why after I dragged a tab away into a seperate window, I could no longer search in it (the search bar just wouldn't pop up at all). Then the problem disappeared.

I'mDaMac
Senior User
Jul 23, 2011, 12:45 PM

Sometimes the icons on my desktop disappear, requiring me to invoke Mission Control to get them to reappear. Anyone else seeing that? Also, my Time Capsule/Time Machine backup doesn't unmount after it's finished. It remains on the desktop. Bookmarks bar doesn't stay open when Safari is in full screen mode.
( Last edited by I'mDaMac; Jul 23, 2011 at 04:36 PM. )
Who'sDaMac?

Eug
Clinically Insane
Jul 23, 2011, 08:01 PM

Launchpad is borked for me.

When I restart, it looks fine, but after I use the computer for a while, sometimes all the icons disappear.

Click to enlarge

Also, once when I launched Launchpad and then went to the second page of Launchpad, all the text (application names) from the first page remained, so I got overlapping text.

Lion isn't going on my main machine until a few point updates have passed methinks.

Cold Warrior
Jul 23, 2011, 08:22 PM

When putting a qt movie full-screen, it moves it to the right like a space. The rightward movement is awkward and odd.

msuper69
Professional Poster
Jul 24, 2011, 01:10 AM

Cry me a river.

I just love it when someone 'threatens' Apple.
How about giving grief to the makers of Quicken. The Lion train started rolling a long time ago and there was plenty of time to make Quicken Lion compatible.

Macfreak7
Mac Elite
Jul 24, 2011, 01:54 AM

Originally Posted by gradient View Post
I can't verify that problem; closing sequential tabs is working fine for me. There's something buggy going on in Safari, though, because I had another odd problem that went away completely when I quit and restarted: searching. I spent several minutes trying to figure out why after I dragged a tab away into a seperate window, I could no longer search in it (the search bar just wouldn't pop up at all). Then the problem disappeared.
Same happened with my issue, it went away after a restart. I'm not sure what your set up is, but in my case it could be not enough RAM (2GB). Especially since Safari is SUCH a memory hog. It also seems to require memory differently than in SL.

moonmonkey
Professional Poster
Jul 24, 2011, 02:56 AM

Originally Posted by The Final Dakar View Post
Speaking of one hand, if I'm just casually browsing some photos I usually don't even have my left hand on the keyboard.
disgusting.

Big Mac
Clinically Insane
Jul 24, 2011, 03:28 AM

Originally Posted by moonmonkey View Post
disgusting.

"The natural progress of things is for liberty to yield and government to gain ground." TJ

timecode
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jul 24, 2011, 03:39 AM

Apart from one MAJOR issue I pretty much love the update and I'm sure most things people have found different or strange will be addressed as they usually are with new Apple OS releases. I've also discovered some handy hints and answers to most of my questions in this thread, so thanks everyone. However, anyone know how long it might be before support for non-Apple branded SSD's will return?

I tried an install on my Crucial C300 256GB SSD (an extremely popular and common upgrade for users that wanted a better SSD than Apple offered) and whilst read speeds are perfectly fast, writing to the drive cripples the whole OS for the duration of the write, which on a large file copy could be some time - the write speed appears to be only 8MB/s in Activity Monitor and every operation / app load / new window / etc takes an eternity to achieve - basically unusable. Even with smaller writes this issue stops the user experience being at all 'snappy'.

In the mean time I've split my drive and have my old Snow Leopard instance on one half for when I need an OS that works, and Lion on the other half for when I don't want to be explaining to people why I haven't upgraded to Lion yet :-/

gradient
Mac Elite
Jul 24, 2011, 04:51 AM

Same happened with my issue, it went away after a restart. I'm not sure what your set up is, but in my case it could be not enough RAM (2GB). Especially since Safari is SUCH a memory hog. It also seems to require memory differently than in SL.

Interesting, though memory definitely isn't the issue on my end. I've got 8GB installed and have never seen my total free memory go below 1.5GB, with inactive being added on top of that. Neither of the issues we've seen sound like they'd be RAM related anyway, though I'm prepare to be corrected!

Big Mac
Clinically Insane
Jul 24, 2011, 05:17 AM

Is the new version of Safari such a RAM hog because Apple's now further isolating different parts of the browser for security and stability like Chrome does?

"The natural progress of things is for liberty to yield and government to gain ground." TJ

Spheric Harlot
Clinically Insane
Jul 24, 2011, 05:32 AM

Originally Posted by timecode View Post
Apart from one MAJOR issue I pretty much love the update and I'm sure most things people have found different or strange will be addressed as they usually are with new Apple OS releases. I've also discovered some handy hints and answers to most of my questions in this thread, so thanks everyone. However, anyone know how long it might be before support for non-Apple branded SSD's will return?
"Return"?

It's never been there.

OreoCookie
Jul 24, 2011, 05:37 AM

Earlier versions of Safari didn't use less memory. Basically, I restart Safari once it hits 1.5-2 GB of memory usage, a habit that hasn't changed going to Lion. If anything, I find that Lion's Safari tends to free up more memory than Safari 5.0.
I don't suffer from insanity, I enjoy every minute of it.

timecode
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jul 24, 2011, 06:12 AM

Originally Posted by Spheric Harlot View Post
"Return"?

It's never been there.
Well, yes, but it's always worked perfectly fine before now
PB G4 Ti 667 768 OSX 10.2.5

Macfreak7
Mac Elite
Jul 24, 2011, 06:50 AM

Originally Posted by Big Mac View Post
Is the new version of Safari such a RAM hog because Apple's now further isolating different parts of the browser for security and stability like Chrome does?
AFAIK Safari has always been a memory hog. But it's still my favorite browser. The others just don't feel "Mac" enough, if that makes any sense.

Forum Links
Forum Rules