Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Enthusiast Zone > Classic Macs and Mac OS > Quicktime 6 on Classic

Quicktime 6 on Classic
mactropolis
Senior User
Apr 25, 2002, 12:13 AM

Hey.
recently their have been some rumors that QT 6 (when it finally comes out) will be OS X only. But i've learnt this is untrue. An Apple friend of mine recently provided me with a screen shot of QT 6 in Classic. Apparently, some big-name developer cried out when their heard QT 6 might be OS X-only and demanded it be released for OS 9 also. Here's a pic:
Death To Extremists!

OddManOut
Apr 28, 2002, 09:39 PM

Good news for an Os9 addict like me Any news as what the system requierments may be?

starfleetX
Mac Elite
Apr 28, 2002, 10:25 PM

Boo!! Hiss!!

Apple should cut OS9 suttort for QT6 and force people *cough* big-name developers *cough* to use OSX full time.

The server made a boo boo. (403)

mitchell_pgh
Posting Junkie
Apr 29, 2002, 12:11 AM

Well, Apple would be killing itself if they made a OSX only version. That would say in big blood red letters "OS 9 is DEAD!" and I don't think it's there yet. We still need a bunch of apps ported (cough cough, Quark!)

Anyway, I received a beta of QT6 and it was OSX only, but it was a very old port. I'm sure they have an OS9 version out there, but it is strange that they only showed an OSX version when they gave the demo. Makes me wonder.

Since we are on the topic, I wonder when apple will stop continuing OS9 programs. iPhoto was the first move, but it was a small one because there was never an OS9 version. When they upgrade to iMovie 3, iTunes 3 and iPhoto 2 OSX only, that's when the "rest of us" will make the transfer. I'm 80% OSX and 20% OS9 at this point, but give me another year, and I should be 100%...

I am only now starting to love OSX. I still don't care for the finder issues, and there are still speed issues, but I the speed and security are great...

<my7200>
May 4, 2002, 02:50 AM

Good that QT will run on MacOS9... not every one... cough, cough... has a G3 or G4... most people still have PRE G3-G4 machines... once there are enough people that have this or any newer versions cough... G5 and upwards, than I'll think Apple will go just X. It took nearly 5 years for the transition from 68K to PPC... i THINK MOST PEOPLE FORGET. Still I think most people use 68K, PPC &lt; G3/G4.

And once QT goes straight out X... I doubt that QD3D will be around in the API... which is a real bumber... OpenGL cough, big deal. Apple should have sold its superior technologies a little better to developers. The only reason Apple dropped the QD3D thing is because of the friction that took place between ATI and Apple... AND NOTHING ELSE!

All that X crap, really annoys me... Apple should have made its legacy OS better... ever heard of Copland... the only reason why the project got scrapped I think is because Gil Amelio former CEO of Apple brought Steve back, cough... It would have been a better outcome I reckon if Copland was finalised... which had the features of X, and you wouldn't need the extra years to port everything over

my 2c
cheers

pdot
Senior User
May 4, 2002, 03:08 PM

what use is the pic?
Current: XPC SB81P, 3GHz P4, 1GB RAM; Compaq Presario V2410US, Turion 64 ML-30, 512MB RAM
Previous: Sawtooth G4/400 448MB RAM
ATI Radeon 8500 64MB - flashed variant
OS X 10.3.141592653589793238462643383279502884197169399 37510
Future: 13" Widescreen Powerbook, Core Duo Intel

mitchell_pgh
Posting Junkie
May 4, 2002, 04:58 PM

Apple needs to think about the future, not the past. I have a 6400 sitting here with OS 9 and few upgrade paths. I also have a new G4 tower sitting in front of me so I guess my perspective is a bit eschewed. Regardless, I feel that Quick Time 6 should be developed for OS X and OS 9, but everything after then OS X only. There needs to be a reason to migrate to OS X, and if people aren't willing to go, they may need to be forced into the move.

There are still people out there using Centra 610, OS 7.5 and Photoshop 4, but we should make the world revolve around them.

<my7200>
May 5, 2002, 06:43 PM

nor should the world revolve around the new... if your forgetting, 68k code is still used in MANY embedded systems pal... more so then anything else, even PPC.

I won't make the transition and if I were it wouldn't be for X... it would be for the newer machines... early versions of the G5 will still run pre G3 code in emulation that is , therefore all 32 bit code will run nicley...

and anyways... all that X B_u_l_l_s_h_i_t is what Apple makes you eat... Christ, the Lisa Operation system going back nearly 20 years ago had all that stuff, apart from the MP support... it ran slow because the hardware was slow at the time and the OS even though it was superior to Macintosh was scrapped... heard of A/UX... all the other UNIX variations made by Apple, why didn't Apple employ those in the upcoming ever great OS.... tell U why... marketing product pal... And Steve knows how to do it!

long live classic. and the 5-3 year transition is still goint to be there, and if it wasn't for the fact that Steve chopped the code which made Classic preemptive... which you could via the thread manager API... I'll bet you could make Classic just as good as X with all the other goodies, unless The Lisa OS is brought back...

cheers

Forum Links
Forum Rules