Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > macOS > Turn on printer sharing over ssh - command line?

Turn on printer sharing over ssh - command line?
Gavin
Mac Elite
Jul 10, 2005, 02:40 AM

Hi,
I'm using my back room machine as a server and I'd like to have it share the printer too.

BUT...

The video card is shot, so no monitor/gui. Generally I manage fine with ssh but this one is stumping me.

How can I turn on printer sharing with the command line?

Thanks

Gavin  (op)
Mac Elite
Jul 11, 2005, 02:46 AM

Update:

I've tried editing the xinetd config file for printer -> disable = no, then restart xinetd

didn't work. (also cycled power on printer afterward just in case)

is it really using xinetd ? and/or is there some rendezvous trick I'm missing?

MarkLT1
Mac Enthusiast
Jul 11, 2005, 09:12 AM

Gavin-

Not sure how you would do that via the command line..

but, have you considered using VNC?

Detrius
Professional Poster
Jul 11, 2005, 08:50 PM

Here's what would be far easier to get working from the command line... OSXvnc. Then, you can do anything you want graphically.

If you don't like that option, have you looked into /etc/cups? Do you know about pointing the web browser at port 631?
ACSA 10.4/10.3, ACTC 10.3, ACHDS 10.3

Gavin  (op)
Mac Elite
Jul 12, 2005, 08:27 AM

Originally Posted by Detrius
If you don't like that option, have you looked into /etc/cups? Do you know about pointing the web browser at port 631?
Just a little. ;-)
The mac has the 'save as pdf button' in the print dialog but windows has no such thing without expensive 3rd party software.
Back in the 10.2 days I used CUPS to set up a virtual printer; really a perl script but looked like any other printer to the windows computers on the network. Any incoming print job was converted to a PDF file which was then available over SMB file sharing. raw unix power. Everyone was blown away than an iMac could do that.

So you can imagine it's kind of embarrassing that I can't this simple thing to work.

Anyway I've been tweaking /etc/cups but can't get the web interface to respond to machines other than localhost.

I guess I'll try VNC - seems like a cop out...

thanks

Forum Links
Forum Rules