Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > macOS > Restore Intel iMac time machine backup to PowerPC

Restore Intel iMac time machine backup to PowerPC
asodamiac
Senior User
Aug 8, 2008, 05:12 PM

Hey folks,

I just sent in my Intel based iMac to the Apple Store for a repair and also had my iPhone 3G replaced. I made a backup of my iMac onto my external via Time Machine but now I cannot restore my Address book contacts onto my Powerbook G4. I can see the contents of my Address book through:

Users > MyUserName > Library > Application Support > AddressBook > Metadata

But for some reason they are not in the form of vCards, so Address book on my Powerbook won't let me restore them. The file extension is .abcdp. Is there any way to restore my Intel iMac contacts onto my PowerPC Powerbook? I would hate to manually type in each contact into my Powerbook's Address book.

Also, is it possible to restore my iMac's time machine backup onto my Powerbook? If so, that would be fantastic, but I have a feeling this won't work?

Thanks!
15" Powerbook G4 | 1.67, 1.5gb, 128VRAM, SD
20" iMac | 2.66, 2gb, HD 2600
Dell 2408WFP

asodamiac  (op)
Senior User
Aug 8, 2008, 05:56 PM

Never mind, I was able to figure out the Address Book issue!
Dell 2408WFP

64stang06
Mac Elite
Aug 8, 2008, 09:35 PM

Originally Posted by asodamiac View Post
Never mind, I was able to figure out the Address Book issue!
What was the resolution (for future users that may run into this)?
MacBook Pro 13" 2.8GHz Core i7/8GB RAM/750GB Hard Drive - Mac OS X 10.7.3

asodamiac  (op)
Senior User
Aug 9, 2008, 01:05 AM

I first deleted the AddressBook-v22.abcddb file in my PowerPC's Address Book folder. I then transferred the .abcdp files from my time machine back up to the PowerPC's Address Book's metadata folder. Opened up Address Book and everything was working properly.

It didn't work at first because I was trying to drag in the .abcdp files directly into the PowerPC's address book, which I guess can't be done. So moving the contact info from Metadata folder of the iMac to the Metadata folder of the PowerPC did the trick.
Dell 2408WFP

Forum Links
Forum Rules