Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > macOS > Telephony needs in OSX (yet again)...

Telephony needs in OSX (yet again)...
LightWaver-67
Senior User
Mar 26, 2003, 08:41 AM

I chose to post this in OSX forum because I'm not sure it'd be a "software" solution.

You may remember, but I 'bitch' about this every 6-months or so... but it's still not addressed. I just sent this feedback to Apple... similar to the numerous entries I've sent in the past.

--- Paste ---

Apple... I love you, I really do... but PLEASE... when are you going to address the incredible lack of Telephony solutions...?

We have an incredible new, robust, and powerful Operating System... yet I cannot do things on my G4 that I used to do on my IIvx with a phone line.

Here are some thoughts on telephony needs:

- Fax send/receive/management
- Voicemail management
- Integration with voice calls using headsets
- On-screen data such as Caller-ID, Call waiting Caller-ID, etc.
- Integration with Address Book
- Integration with BlueTooth and the ability to manage your land-line AND your Cell phone SIMULTANEOUSLY...
- (obvious) A wonderful UI for someone like myself so that when I sit-down for the day in my home office and put-on my headset... I want to be able to manage all my telephony needs with ease.

EX: I'm working... a little bubble pops-up on my screen with a name and a phone number (from AddressBook app data) saying that it's an incoming call and it identifies which line is being called (land-line or Cell)... before I answer it... the bubble (window) gives me a choice of answering or sending to voicemai.

Or how about the ability to ADD an incoming call (data) to the addressbook or existing entry... the options and possibilities are endless.

FaxSFT is annoying to use (I own it) and I also own a TelEx-USB Headset but cannot really USE it for anything...

Please, please, PLEASE address this gap in communication abilities.

Thank you...

--- end paste ---

This seems to be to be a BASIC requirement. Here we have talk of getting video-conferencing and the ability to use BlueTooth to use your cell-phone w/ your Mac... how about letting me manage my PHONE LINE through my Mac...?

I really hope they get-around to this soon. There was some talk from someone here last year regarding a FireWire box/Interface that Apple had (iPhone rumor?) that would address this issue, but it may have just been a line of BS. Who knows? All I know is I still cannot do what I need/want with my phone line w/ my Mac.

Am I alone in my annoyance...?

NeilCharter
Senior User
Mar 26, 2003, 10:59 PM

There are various apps that can use the modem in your mac as a phone assistance. For example:

Phoner
Phone Dialer

Let you use it as a phone dialer

FaxSTF works for faxing

There are USB headsets that work with OS X

Some bluetooth phones can link with OS X for synching etc.

You have some of these but like many things in OS X not all the apps you were used to in OS 9 have been ported.

I do wonder why you are saying this is Apple's fault - were all your needs addressed in OS 9 and by the system software?

My best advice is to contact those software companies that made these earlier solutions and encourage them to port their apps to OS X.

I wouldn't hold my breath for Apple to put these functionality in. Their focus is on mainstream activities and although the Address Book can display phone numbers on the screen, it can dial. Palm has the same problem.

Third party apps will probably deliver these things faster

Try: http://www.versiontracker.com/macosx/index.shtml

Its a good resource for a multitude of commerical and shareware apps.

Neil
If I had a signature, it would look something like this

moonmonkey
Professional Poster
Mar 26, 2003, 11:14 PM

I dont think he is blaming Apple, he is just pointing out a big hole in the Market which Apple could easily fill.

In my honest but correct opinion I dont think its glamorous enough for Apple to bother with.

besson3c
Clinically Insane
Mar 26, 2003, 11:28 PM

throw in the ability to make long distance calls over the internet (broadband) for free, and you'd have a killer product. Sell the hardware needed to make all of this happen (headsets).

I've seen this software in action on the PC and it works very well and would seem to be very useful for people who make frequent long-distance calls.

An idea I had the other day was to make an iMusic app... recommend basic MIDI-capable keyboards and base this on a stripped down version of Logic possibly with a clearer to understand UI.

moonmonkey
Professional Poster
Mar 27, 2003, 02:20 AM

Originally posted by besson3c:
throw in the ability to make long distance calls over the internet (broadband) for free, and you'd have a killer product. Sell the hardware needed to make all of this happen (headsets).

I've seen this software in action on the PC and it works very well and would seem to be very useful for people who make frequent long-distance calls.

An idea I had the other day was to make an iMusic app... recommend basic MIDI-capable keyboards and base this on a stripped down version of Logic possibly with a clearer to understand UI.

iMusic was the original name for iTunes, I recon Apple should add sound mixing facilties to iTunes and allow you to change the pitch etc.

It could also trigger timed video clips from your movies folder.

That would be nice of them.

zappy
Forum Regular
Mar 27, 2003, 07:33 AM

Originally posted by LightWaver-67:
Here are some thoughts on telephony needs:

- Integration with Address Book
- Integration with BlueTooth and the ability to manage your land-line AND your Cell phone SIMULTANEOUSLY...
Integration of land-line telephony with AddressBook would be great. Until then I can recommend ilinks direct, which does CTI (computer telephony integration) for supported telephony switches. Maybe Apple should contact ilink in order to integrate their CTI technology into Mac OS X ...

Kind Regards,
Ulf Licht

willed
Professional Poster
Mar 27, 2003, 08:24 AM

I agree with the original post - How come I could manage this stuff on my 1996 Performa but not on my 2001 iBook?

LightWaver-67  (op)
Senior User
Mar 27, 2003, 08:46 AM

Originally posted by moonmonkey:
I dont think he is blaming Apple, he is just pointing out a big hole in the Market which Apple could easily fill.

In my honest but correct opinion I dont think its glamorous enough for Apple to bother with.
You are correct... I'm not blaming Apple... just venting about the lack of a unified solution to handle all of my land-line (and cell) need.

It's not Apple's responsibility to create a solution for EVERYTHING that ALL OF US need... but I'm just surprised that NO ONE has a solution for OSX... not just Apple... but I bet Apple would do it right.

I have FaxSFT... and although functional... it's a PITA to use and buggy...

I just wish 'SOMEONE' would step-up and tackle this gap in control. Yep... the old IIvx was better equipped to handle my phone back in '94-'95. Granted, it was a 3rd-party solution (I think) but it was still an easy no-brainer.

Here's to hoping...!

LightWaver-67  (op)
Senior User
Mar 27, 2003, 09:21 AM

Originally posted by NeilCharter:
There are various apps that can use the modem in your mac as a phone assistance. For example:

Phoner
Phone Dialer

Let you use it as a phone dialer
Right... but I don't want to just 'dial' the number... I want my Mac to be the phone that I speak through.

FaxSTF works for faxing
Yep... As I stated... I own it... but it's FAR from easy and/or elegant to use and it's 'barely' integrated.

There are USB headsets that work with OS X
You are right... again, as I stated... I own a Telex USB headset... but it does no-good if I cannot USE it as a Telephone Headset.

Some bluetooth phones can link with OS X for synching etc.
Sync'ing is not my concern right now... the ability to use my Mac as a phone for both my land-line and my cell-phone SIMULTANEOUSLY was the intent of my statement

I wouldn't hold my breath for Apple to put these functionality in. Their focus is on mainstream activities and although the Address Book can display phone numbers on the screen, it can dial. Palm has the same problem.
Mainstream...? How much more 'mainstream' is the use of a phone...? If this is a "Hub"... then your phone-line is a HUGE part of your communication. I would consider it a MAJOR part of organizing someone's life via a Mac

Try: http://www.versiontracker.com/macosx/index.shtml

Its a good resource for a multitude of commerical and shareware apps.

Neil
Thank you... I have been a VT-Pro user for years... I have searched High & Low for an OSX app to get even CLOSE to this functionality... I cannot even find ONE app that will allow me to use my Mac as a "Headset Phone" anywhere.

Thanks for your feedback... it is appreciated. Ultimately, this is something that hopefully SOMEONE will undertake.

dont.wanna.tell
Forum Regular
Mar 27, 2003, 02:49 PM

There's a big problem in here:

The last time I looked into this (I wanted to find/write a program to turn my mac into a phone) it was technically impossible to use the internal modems for anything than for calling and taking over with an external phone.

And that's exactly what I think Apple needs to do in this regard, they should (IMO) provide the technical capabilities so third party developers can do something about this market.

But they didn't bother before, I doubt they do that now.

Sad, Martin

biscool
Forum Regular
Mar 27, 2003, 04:05 PM

You could pull the old IIvx out and set up it for your phone needs...

mitchell_pgh
Posting Junkie
Mar 27, 2003, 04:18 PM

My idea:

Message Center

- Collects all of your email, voice mail and faxes into one application.

Have the message library contain all messages (think of it as the root level)

and then have email, voice mail and fax be the sub levels. If you only check email with your computer, then that's all you will see... if you check email and receive faxes, that's all that will show up...

I wouldn't bitch if there was a $200 application out there, it's just that there aren't even options...

SpinCycle
Forum Regular
Mar 27, 2003, 04:23 PM

Originally posted by dont.wanna.tell:

The last time I looked into this (I wanted to find/write a program to turn my mac into a phone) it was technically impossible to use the internal modems for anything than for calling and taking over with an external phone.
Well, when the modem dials out to the internet etc. (if you still have dial-up) it will send the modem sounds out to your speakers if you like to hear that sort of thing, it must get there somehow. Also maybe there is some part of that same circuitry that will allow sound to be passed back into that modem for outgoing purposes.

And a while ago I had a program that would display the CallerID in a terminal window in OS 9. It is possible the modems are still CallerID capable.

CharlesS
Posting Junkie
Mar 27, 2003, 04:32 PM

Originally posted by SpinCycle:
Well, when the modem dials out to the internet etc. (if you still have dial-up) it will send the modem sounds out to your speakers if you like to hear that sort of thing, it must get there somehow. Also maybe there is some part of that same circuitry that will allow sound to be passed back into that modem for outgoing purposes.

And a while ago I had a program that would display the CallerID in a terminal window in OS 9. It is possible the modems are still CallerID capable.
You need to have a voice-capable modem in order to do this, and I don't believe that the Apple internal modems are voice-capable. You could buy a replacement modem, but it would cost money...

Ticking sound coming from a .pkg package? Don't let the .bom go off! Inspect it first with Pacifist. Macworld - five mice!

dont.wanna.tell
Forum Regular
Mar 27, 2003, 04:35 PM

Yes, yes, it can do all this caller ID thingamaginni (if the modem supports it).

But there's a criticall wire missing from the soundsystem of the mac to the modem.

So as it stands it's impossible to send speach to the modem (what you hear when it dials is all generated inside the modem, so no secret conection there - sadly).

cu Martin

SpinCycle
Forum Regular
Mar 27, 2003, 04:45 PM

So as it stands it's impossible to send speach to the modem (what you hear when it dials is all generated inside the modem, so no secret conection there - sadly).

cu Martin
While it is generated inside the modem it also comes out of the speakers or other headset etc that is plugged into the computer. It must get to the audio hardware somewhere.

Granted I agree with you it probably does not have the necessary conduit to send voice back into the modem from a Mic.

dont.wanna.tell
Forum Regular
Mar 27, 2003, 06:10 PM

Originally posted by SpinCycle:
Granted I agree with you it probably does not have the necessary conduit to send voice back into the modem from a Mic.
That's what I meant.

cu Martin

wadesworld
Grizzled Veteran
Mar 27, 2003, 07:18 PM

The problem is, very few users are clamoring for this capability.

There's nothing in particular stopping a third-party company from writing some slick software and bundling it with a USB modem....except, very few sales.

Wade

moonmonkey
Professional Poster
Mar 27, 2003, 07:22 PM

That's what I meant.

cu Martin
im sure if they can squirt At&T codes down it they can squirt voice data down it.

Could be wrong.

Superchicken
Addicted to MacNN
Mar 28, 2003, 12:08 AM

But they could do something like create a USB modem could they not? I mean when you have to buy something it's not as great... and it wouldnt' sell well and... sigh...

It would be nice if they did something for free LD calls even if it was a bandwidth hog, I dono... I just gotta get a cell phone I think haha... wish Apple made those.

LightWaver-67  (op)
Senior User
Mar 29, 2003, 08:07 AM

Originally posted by Superchic[k]en:
But they could do something like create a USB modem could they not? I mean when you have to buy something it's not as great... and it wouldnt' sell well and... sigh...

It would be nice if they did something for free LD calls even if it was a bandwidth hog, I dono... I just gotta get a cell phone I think haha... wish Apple made those.
Hence the rumor last year of a FireWire box that took the incoming phone-line and connected to the computer via FireWire which acted as the "Telephony Box"... the rumor may have been false, but the idea still intrigues me.

Sven G
Professional Poster
Mar 29, 2003, 11:13 AM

Originally posted by mitchell_pgh:
My idea:

Message Center

- Collects all of your email, voice mail and faxes into one application.

Have the message library contain all messages (think of it as the root level)

and then have email, voice mail and fax be the sub levels. If you only check email with your computer, then that's all you will see... if you check email and receive faxes, that's all that will show up...

I wouldn't bitch if there was a $200 application out there, it's just that there aren't even options...
BTW, the new FAXstf Pro X looks like it could become part of such a message center: actually, it's interface is similar to what the new Apple Mail interface could become in the near future.

Maybe Apple and Smith Micro could work together in order to integrate the two apps in a better way - also in such a manner that faxing (like PDF) is built-in into the OS (see Windows XP and KDE), and not, as today, only available as a separate, optional application, which isn't even included in a basic form in the boxed, retail version of OS X...

The freedom of all is essential to my freedom. - Mikhail Bakunin

SpeedRacer
Senior User
Mar 29, 2003, 12:42 PM

If a product like this ever comes out for the Mac, you will NOT see it come from Apple. It's a very simply philosophy that governs Apple releasing (or not releasing) a software solution like this:

Why make a computer product compete with a standalone consumer product that does the job better and more appropriate to the consumer's needs?

Examples:

Why product a computer answering machine software product when you can buy the same solution for $20 in a answering machine at Wal-mart?

Why produce a software DVD player with digital audio output when you can buy the same solution in a $99 Apex DVD player at Circuit City?

Why produce a TiVO style recording program when you can buy a TiVO $200 that does the same thing better?

Look at the history here. Apple hasn't indicated the slightest interest in any of these solutions (Mac as full-fledged telephone, DVD player, or TiVO). All of these solutions have come out for the Windows market as "the next big thing" and have not lived up to that hype at all. Again, it has to do with the computer trying to compete with a solution that is already provided by a standalone consumer product BETTER suited to the job than a computer software solution.

Jobs sees the computer as an ENHANCER of existing consumer electronic devices (cameras, camcorders, CD players, DVD players etc).

Gates sees the computer REPLACING existing consumer electronics devices.

It's a HUGE difference in perspective. And if you want to figure out if Apple is going to release a product like this telephony solution you mention, just ask yourself which side of that fence the solution would fall on.

Speed

biscool
Forum Regular
Mar 29, 2003, 02:49 PM

Why product a computer answering machine software product when you can buy the same solution for $20 in a answering machine at Wal-mart?

Why produce a software DVD player with digital audio output when you can buy the same solution in a $99 Apex DVD player at Circuit City?

Why produce a TiVO style recording program when you can buy a TiVO $200 that does the same thing better?
Apple's dvd player doesnt do 5.1 sound because apple doesn't ship 5.1 sound in the box. This hopefully will change. You want 5.1? Get a Revolution card and use VLC. The reason why there is no answering machine app is because there is no consumer demand for it. The person who started this topic seems to be one of only a few people who want such an app. The reason there is no apple tivo solution is because it's a hardware device, not software. If you want a tivo solution get a eyetv or formac studio/tv or even an actual tivo. Apple just can't invest r&d dollars on hardware devices that 3rd parties have already created a solid solution for. The reason they made the ipod is because of the sad state of mp3 players. The ipod was and still is the best mp3 player on the market...

Forum Links
Forum Rules