Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Enthusiast Zone > Hardware Hacking > iBook overclock modem issue?

iBook overclock modem issue?
GRAHAMUK
Apr 2, 2003, 09:08 PM

I recently overclocked my iBook 500 up to 600 MHz and 100MHz bus, and have been ecstatic with the results - until I tried to use the internal modem. The whole machine locks solid - no kernel panic, just a total freeze. Clearly the modem doesn't like the faster clock rates going around inside and is taking it out on the rest of the system somehow. I can avoid using the modem, though it means buying an external one, a small price to pay in some respects for the much greater usability of the machine. Better would be to fix it properly. Anyone any clue about what to tweak/modify to deal with this?

bradoesch
Professional Poster
Apr 2, 2003, 10:38 PM

How often do you use the modem? Is it possible that there was a system update or other software/hardware change inbetween the overclock and then use of the modem?

x user
Mac Elite
Apr 3, 2003, 12:17 AM

I never had this problem w/my o/ced 500.

SpeedRacer
Senior User
Apr 3, 2003, 08:50 AM

That's interesting. After doing this mod on my iBook i started having ever-increasing lock-ups occurring simultaneous to a failed modem. Eventually it got to the point where the machine could not run longer than 30 seconds after boot.

Perhaps there is some connection between mHz and the modem (?)

Speed

GRAHAMUK  (op)
Apr 3, 2003, 07:52 PM

Originally posted by SpeedRacer:
That's interesting. After doing this mod on my iBook i started having ever-increasing lock-ups occurring simultaneous to a failed modem. Eventually it got to the point where the machine could not run longer than 30 seconds after boot.

Perhaps there is some connection between mHz and the modem (?)

Speed
Looks like it. I remember we discussed this on the iBook forum, at that time I hadn't tried the modem and didn't think your problem was related to the overclock. Now I've changed my mind! I overclocked a friend's too and got the same problem, so it's definitely not a fluke. Disabling the internal modem means the machine is stable in all other respects. Weird. I've bought an external modem now so I have a workaround, but it offends my sense of neat integration to have to use this solution!

x user
Mac Elite
Apr 4, 2003, 01:15 AM

Either bring it down to 550mhz/100 or 500/100. You'll have similer gains over 500/66 and it doesn't really affect the processor.

SpeedRacer
Senior User
Apr 11, 2003, 08:25 PM

Originally posted by GRAHAMUK:
Looks like it. I remember we discussed this on the iBook forum, at that time I hadn't tried the modem and didn't think your problem was related to the overclock. Now I've changed my mind! I overclocked a friend's too and got the same problem, so it's definitely not a fluke. Disabling the internal modem means the machine is stable in all other respects. Weird. I've bought an external modem now so I have a workaround, but it offends my sense of neat integration to have to use this solution!
But wait... what happens if/when you swap out the iBook/500 modem with the modem from an iBook/600? Are the modems in these two machines actually the SAME?

COmie JOe
Dedicated MacNNer
Apr 14, 2003, 02:53 AM

are the 600 mhz considered the late 2001, cuz if they are then yes they are the same modem.

milhouse
Senior User
Apr 18, 2003, 05:17 PM

this is interesting. I OC'd my GF's blueberry from 300 to 400 and the modem stopped working. I thought I might have left something disconnected.

hmm...
"-Dodge This"

RoofusPennymore
Senior User
Apr 18, 2003, 06:35 PM

Same problem here. I also lost my sound when I did the OC.
---I'm on a low Microsoft diet.

Forum Links
Forum Rules