Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Desktops > New iMac 1.25 VS Quicksilver 800

New iMac 1.25 VS Quicksilver 800
PJ G4
Forum Regular
Sep 8, 2003, 07:54 PM

I currently own a Quicksilver 800 with the Apple 17" LCD. I have upgraded my computer as follows: increased RAM to 1.25GB, replaced the Combo Drive with the Pioneer AO5 Superdrive, and replaced the stock 40GB hard drive with a Western Digital 120GB Special Edition. I was thinking of upgrading the processor or purchasing a new G5 1.8. The G5 may be more computer than I need. How will the processor in the new iMac compare to what I have. The differences seem to be in the processor speed, system bus, and memory. Is there level 3 cache in the new iMac. How does the LCD in the 17" iMac compare to the 17" Studio Display other than aspect ratio. I mainly use my computer for audio, MP3 downloads, digital photography, Photoshop, and database. What would you recommend? Thanks

BrunoBruin
Mac Elite
Sep 8, 2003, 08:57 PM

Frankly, with so much invested in upgrades to your QS, I'd just add a processor upgrade rather than get a new iMac. For $400 or so you could pop in a 1.25z upgrade that would include 2MB of L3 cache, which the iMac does not have. That helps make up for the slightly slower bus.

I have the 17-inch display with my Cube and I actually prefer it to the iMac display. It's a matter for preference, but I like having the extra vertical pixels and not having to scroll so much.

The G5 is another story, because you could keep your display, but as you say, that may be more computer than you need.

businezguy
Mac Enthusiast
Sep 9, 2003, 06:56 AM

If your going to consider an alternative to the G5, I don't think you'd want to consider the iMac. It is less upgradeable, and it has a slower hard drive.

I think you'd want to look at the "new" Powermac G4s. If you do that, you might as well go for the dual 1.25 G4 for $1599. That isn't a bad price, and that is a pretty fast computer. That would be worthy upgrade to what you have now. Of course, that is sans the Superdrive, but you could purchase that aftermarket or use the one you have.
Dual 1 ghz MDD with 80 gig and 1.25 DDR
17' Flat Panel Studio Display
14' 800 mhz iBook 30 gig and 256 SDRAM
20 gig iPOD

Eriamjh
Addicted to MacNN
Sep 10, 2003, 05:51 AM

Upgrade. Wait a year/18 months, then reconsider.

Or just wait it out. You never said your machine felt slow doing what you use it for. Does it?

I'm a bird. I am the 1% (of pets).

Sarpedon
Sep 11, 2003, 11:36 AM

"A person may not cross state lines with a duck atop his head. " - Minnesota State Law

Dem people in Minnesotda day sure know what they are doing by golly.

Nessie
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Sep 25, 2003, 02:14 AM

I'm thinking of getting a 17" iMac, too. Don't like the cost/size of the G5, don't like reading off a laptop screen all the time (refering to the new 15" AlPB). But it's a hard decision, since the G5 is upgradable and the laptop is very convenient.
( Last edited by Nessie; Sep 25, 2003 at 09:45 AM. )

pliny
Mac Elite
Sep 28, 2003, 10:27 PM

The G4 towers are a good buy I think, you can pop in the superdrive for abut $100 more, get the dualie 1.25 for the edu price--not bad deal.
i look in your general direction

X-Ray
Dedicated MacNNer
Sep 28, 2003, 10:43 PM

12 months from now you'd regret you bought the iMac or the G4. I doubt that that would be the case with the G5. I own a 17" iMac and it's a great computer but as soon as I refinance my house I'm buying a dual 2 ghz G5 with the 20" monitor. I think that should last a couple of years before obsolescence sets in,

Link
Professional Poster
Sep 29, 2003, 09:27 AM

lol x-ray. Sounds like you're digging yourself into a hole amigo.. oh well. Better then charging on credit... much better.
Aloha

pliny
Mac Elite
Sep 29, 2003, 07:33 PM

Originally posted by X-Ray:
as soon as I refinance my house I'm buying a dual 2 ghz G5 with the 20" monitor. I think that should last a couple of years before obsolescence sets in,
Heh heh, now *that* is a committed Mac fan.

Edit: I was in the Apple Store the other day and found both the iMac @ 1.25 and the G4 dualie to be very quick, the iMac was really surprising, very very quick at the stock 256 mb. The thing aobut the G4 v. G5 is the cost. Also, I realized while at the apple Store that the G4 has more bays and slots than the G5's.
i look in your general direction

SpeedRacer
Senior User
Oct 2, 2003, 01:55 PM

The problem w/the G5's are that they are new and, if you want the benefit of dual-CPU's (one of best arguments for a Pro-line Mac), you have to go to the top of the line model and shell out big $$$.

We just got one of the 1.8ghz G5 models in and just putting around within the OS, internet, iApps, etc it feel not a bit faster than the Dual 1.25ghz G4's we have across the hall... minus the 2nd available optical drive bay, 2nd CPU, and lower price of the G4 models.

Again, this is with just everyday point-click actions. If we were running filters in Photoshop or compressing digital video undoubtedly the performance differences between the two machines would be noticeable, but for everyday use, for the what 95% of the population buys a computer for the G5 is just overkill. When you bought your car did you buy the fastest one on the market or the one that fit your needs best? Not everybody needs to drive a Ferrari to get to get to the convenience store.

Have not had a chance to test out the new iMac/17" but the specs look *real* good. Minus the obvious issues of PCI/CD/HD/RAM/Firewire800 expandability it's essentially the same machine as the old G4 towers + Bluetooth + better graphics + Airport Extreme at a cost of $400 less.

X-Ray
Dedicated MacNNer
Oct 3, 2003, 12:31 AM

Yeah, I'm really digging myself into a hole ..my 2000 sq ft house is almost paid for in a neighborhood where the going rate is $150 a sq ft ... so if I refinance for half of the appraised value I think I could squeeze out the price of a new Mac ... and yes it beats the hell out of credit cards. So, who's lol now.

Centris650
Dedicated MacNNer
Oct 6, 2003, 07:05 AM

Originally posted by X-Ray:
Yeah, I'm really digging myself into a hole ..my 2000 sq ft house is almost paid for in a neighborhood where the going rate is $150 a sq ft ... so if I refinance for half of the appraised value I think I could squeeze out the price of a new Mac ... and yes it beats the hell out of credit cards. So, who's lol now.
Actually, if the house is almost paid for and you are refinancing you may be doing yourself a favor. 1) The intrest is tax deductable 2) If you don't refinance your taxes on the house may go up. My parents had this problem w/their house and it was cheaper for them to refinance.
><> 1 Peter 3:15-16

Sickofwaiting
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Oct 6, 2003, 08:53 PM

I have a 1.25 Ghz 17"iMac. I want to upgrade the ram but dont know the specs on ram for this machine. Can anyone help???
waiting this long for a new 15 will drive
anyone insane

monodromy
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Oct 6, 2003, 09:10 PM

Forum Links
Forum Rules