Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > macOS > services

services
mmintler
Forum Regular
May 31, 2004, 12:41 PM

I apologize ahead of time if this is a dumb queston.
I thought with OS X I would be able to e.g mail a document from any app. via the services menu.Like you can in MS Office apps.
But I have yet to find a program that allows you to use any of the "services" under under the app. menu. They are always grayed out.

Am I doing something wrong? If not, what programs actually let you use these services?

Thanks
mark
Great spirits have always encountered violent opposition from mediocre minds.-
Albert Einstein

pat++
Mac Elite
May 31, 2004, 01:02 PM

Most services work with the current selection.
Try to select a text in Safari for example, then go in Services->Mail->Send selection

Developer
Addicted to MacNN
May 31, 2004, 01:06 PM

If you are in Safari or OmniWeb then select some text (like your post above) and do Services->Mail->Send selection. This will mail the selected text.
If you are in the Finder select a file and do Services->Mail->Send file and it will mail the file.
Most Services work like this. Like select some text and make a Sticky note etc. Other services want to paste something. Have a Text Edit document open and do Screenshot service and it will paste a screenshot. And third types copy and replace with something else (none of Apple's default though afaik).
Nasrudin sat on a river bank when someone shouted to him from the opposite side: "Hey! how do I get across?" "You are across!" Nasrudin shouted back.

mmintler  (op)
Forum Regular
Jun 1, 2004, 01:22 PM

Thanks for the replies...I was under the impression that for example, while in photoshop I could use services to package and mail the file I'm working with..like in MS word. I guess I don't see much value in only being able to mail a group of selected text...

Just discovered the summarize feature..cool-probably useless but cool!

again, thanks for the replies.

mark
Albert Einstein

Developer
Addicted to MacNN
Jun 1, 2004, 01:31 PM

Originally posted by mmintler:
Thanks for the replies...I was under the impression that for example, while in photoshop I could use services to package and mail the file I'm working with..like in MS word.
This would be theoretically possible if Photoshop would support Services. Send feedback to Adobe that you would like to see Services support in their applications.
Word doesn't support Services either as far as I can tell from the demo.
Nasrudin sat on a river bank when someone shouted to him from the opposite side: "Hey! how do I get across?" "You are across!" Nasrudin shouted back.

mmintler  (op)
Forum Regular
Jun 1, 2004, 05:57 PM

MS word has its own feature under the file menu...to email the doc. as attatchement in an email.
Albert Einstein

Brass
Professional Poster
Jun 1, 2004, 06:57 PM

Originally posted by mmintler:
Thanks for the replies...I was under the impression that for example, while in photoshop I could use services to package and mail the file I'm working with..like in MS word. I guess I don't see much value in only being able to mail a group of selected text...

Just discovered the summarize feature..cool-probably useless but cool!

again, thanks for the replies.

mark
You can do this, but from the Finder - not Photoshop. Ie, in the Finder, select the photoshop file you're working on, then use the Mail Service ("Send File").

(as others have said, services work with a selection)

Forum Links
Forum Rules