Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > Censorship...

Censorship...
bizzare
Aug 14, 2000, 09:17 PM

I just saw a television show called "Meet the Press" based in the states. Their guest was Al Gore's running mate Joseph Lieberman. I was completely shocked to see this guy wanting to censor "Hollywood". Am I the only one who thinks this guy should be as far away from the white house as possible? Pretty soon the states will be just like China (ok maybe not to that extreme).

------------------
-Bizzare

[This message has been edited by bizzare (edited 08-14-2000).]

wlonh
Professional Poster
Aug 14, 2000, 10:03 PM

he's orthodox... and orthodox anything is trouble in my book...

meaning that Lieberman is something of a religious zealot and that is never good regardless of your religion... and it is plain why Gore chose Lieberman as his 'running mate': Lieberman bashed Clinton but good over the Lewinsky affair... it is part and parcel of Gore's attempt to distance himself from Clinton in the eyes of the populace...

do NOT kid yourself, Dubya the Shrub is no better, he'd welcome Tipper Gore's rabid desire for censorship, and do her one better!

[This message has been edited by wlonh (edited 08-14-2000).]

tioga
Dedicated MacNNer
Aug 14, 2000, 10:24 PM

Actually, Al Gore's wife, Tipper, hopped on the censorship bandwagon even before he was VP. SHe's been after movies, TV, and rap music to reduce sex and violence for years. She's only recently toned it down because the US entertainment industry is such a huge political campaign contributor.
Puritanism runs deep in the US, even after 300 years.
After the election, watch out!

ctpeterson
Aug 15, 2000, 10:50 AM

if you think that Leiberman is bad, wait and see how thwe gun toting NRA Republicans will be...charleton heston and all!!!

[This message has been edited by ctpeterson (edited 08-15-2000).]
Mac=Life
iMac 266 320MB OS 10.3
MacBook Core 2 Duo 10.4
http://petersoninidaho.blogspot.com

bood69
Mac Enthusiast
Aug 15, 2000, 12:10 PM

I've detested Lieberman ever since he started sticking his nose in the video game industry all those years ago. Yes, I want him as far away from the White House as possible.

duck
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Aug 17, 2000, 11:37 PM

Gotta love Australia. We were started by criminals, yet are pretty carefree about everything, while the US was started by puritans and is paranoid to hell

and yes, Australia does have laws relating to internet censorship, but they're pretty much only there for show. Anyway, why should people be allowed to communicate to the public on webpages material which is banned in other forms of expression.

Our net laws are nothing compared to the US's Digital Millenium Copyright Act (DMCA), Communications Aid to Law Enforcement Act (CALEA), Audio Home Recording Act (AHRA) and Sonny Bono Copyright Extension Act You guys are getting seriously screwed over in the land of freedom and opportunity

Adof
Aug 17, 2000, 11:47 PM

I don't like him because he is a Jew!
_
|_|_
_| |

just kidding

yoyo52
Mac Elite
Aug 17, 2000, 11:52 PM

I thought it was the Mickey Mouse Copyright Extension Act--wasn't it passed specifically because the copyright on the famous mouse (not the new Apple mouse, please note) was about to lapse?

I'm scrupulous in observing our copyright laws when it comes to reproducing (see, I also believe in trademark, so I didn't say "xeroxing" . People ask me, "where are you going with that book?" I answer, "I'm going to reproduce" ) texts for my classes, but I can tell you it's a royal screw job all around.

This fall I'll be teaching a course with a "course pack," as we like to call it in the academy, which includes 11 essays from various sources. I'm making 30 copies of the essays. The total price in copyright permission is US$667.84 (not including the percentage charged by CCC, the copyright clearing house web page)--that's over US$22 per packet.

Add to that the cost of copying and of binding, plus of course the profit margin that the business office at my school requires that the book store add because after all a college is a capitalist enterprise doncha know, and the kids will be paying much more than they should be for the xeroxed essays.

And then there are the actual books for the course, eight of them, which adds over US$150 to the cost of taking the class. I sometimes can't believe that kids pay over two hundred dollars just so they can read the stuff I ask them to read. That's censorship by economic extortion, if you ask me.

It's the uttermost pit of hell, about which I can do absolutely nothing

[This message has been edited by yoyo52 (edited 08-17-2000).]
And that's true too.--Shakespeare, King Lear

blizaine
Mac Enthusiast
Aug 18, 2000, 12:14 AM

duck
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Aug 18, 2000, 12:24 AM

Yes, it was passed to protect the mouse, but they used Sonny Bono's death as an excuse to "help the creators of entertainment" and that's why it was named after him

duck
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Aug 18, 2000, 12:25 AM

Yes, it was passed to protect the mouse, but they used Sonny Bono's death as an excuse to "help the creators of entertainment" and that's why it was named after him

Forum Links
Forum Rules