Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > macOS > Error message while (not trying to) connect to appleshare

Error message while (not trying to) connect to appleshare
Uncle Skeleton
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 13, 2017, 03:54 PM

Here's my problem: I'm constantly confronted by this message from my macbook air: "error could not connect to the server Piggy." Piggy is another mac on my network that I frequently connect to, but the problem is that this error comes up randomly when I'm not trying to connect. It happens to all users on my macbook air, and today it even popped up while I was on the login screen. I've tried removing the login credentials from my keychain, and searching out instances of "Piggy" from my drive, but it doesn't seem to work. I also tried creating a brand new user, but it is affected too. All I want is to stop seeing the error, not to connect. Any ideas?

Thorzdad
Jan 13, 2017, 06:16 PM

You removed Piggy from your Network settings, right? Might it also be in your login items?

Uncle Skeleton  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 13, 2017, 08:20 PM

What network settings? I did check login items, which were already empty (also that wouldn't have accounted for it happening before I login, while looking at the login screen (would it?). Or for different users (don't all the different users have their own separate login items?)

Thanks

Uncle Skeleton  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 14, 2017, 02:11 PM

Originally Posted by Thorzdad View Post
You removed Piggy from your Network settings, right?
Sorry I don't think I understand your reference. Where in the Network settings would it be found?

Thorzdad
Jan 14, 2017, 03:03 PM

If it's there, it would be on the list in the left-hand panel of the System Preferences > Network panel. Now that I think it over, it probably isn't there, though.

Uncle Skeleton  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 14, 2017, 07:17 PM

Well I'm at the stage where I'll try anything, so thanks for the lead. I didn't know that file sharing drives could be in that pane (along side "bluetooth" and "wifi" right?), but I checked just now and it's not in there.

I've always been bad at "find", so if there's a good way to search the entire drive contents for the string "piggy" I would be grateful to learn about that too.

reader50
Administrator
Jan 14, 2017, 08:02 PM

Are you comfy with Terminal? If so, type:

cd /volumes (return)
ls -al (return)
(that's lowercase LS -AL)

You should get a list of currently attached volumes. If "piggy" is present (or any other volume not currently mounted) then please post the printout here.

What it means: /volumes/ is the mount location for all normal drives. There will be a link here for each mounted drive. But /volumes/ is also a real folder. If macOS glitched and left a link to piggy, it might cause these errors. And if so, deleting the bad link should eliminate the errors.

Uncle Skeleton  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 14, 2017, 10:08 PM

Thanks reader50. No such luck; the entire list:

.DS_Store
Macintosh HD -> /

reader50
Administrator
Jan 14, 2017, 11:31 PM

Ok, at least it was easy to check.

Next idea. A running app or process is trying to load something from piggy. Since this appears at the login screen, it has to be a process (no apps running yet). You need to consider what you use piggy for, especially if you've configured any applications to make use of piggy.

Some apps use a helper process in the background which (if enabled for all users) can be running during login. If you can remember doing anything related to piggy, which asked you to install (or enable) for all users (and required an admin password) then you'll have a likely suspect. Places you might check for inspiration:

Macintosh HD/Library/LaunchAgents/
Macintosh HD/Library/LaunchDaemons/
Macintosh HD/Library/StartupItems/

Uncle Skeleton  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 15, 2017, 11:18 AM

Piggy is my htpc, so I connect to piggy through the finder and appleshare for two purposes: read dvd images to encode on the (faster) laptop with handbrake, and copy mp4 files to piggy. Also I sometimes use screensharing to control piggy. There have been times when I forget to disconnect before sleeping piggy, but not in a while since this issue has kept me attentive. (again, when it comes time to actually connect on purpose, there has never been any trouble doing so). Thanks again

Here is what's installed:

ls /Library/Launch* /Library/StartupItems/
/Library/LaunchAgents:
org.freedesktop.dbus-session.plist

/Library/LaunchDaemons:
com.microsoft.office.licensing.helper.plist
org.freedesktop.dbus-system.plist
org.virtualbox.startup.plist

/Library/StartupItems/:

Uncle Skeleton  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 15, 2017, 11:42 AM

I may have found a clue in the console. I found the name of piggy's root drive ("rowlf") logged at 8:53 this morning. One problem though, at 8:53 this morning the laptop was asleep lid closed (and I think piggy was asleep too), whereas at 10:20 I restarted and saw lots of the offending error dialogs, but nothing in the console log corresponds to 10:20. Anyway, I need some help if I'm going to interpret the importance of these log messages, or where they suggest I target next:

1/14/17 6:53:36.901 AM mds[60]: (Normal) Volume: volume:0x7ffe1083b000 ********** Bootstrapped Creating a default store:0 SpotLoc:(null) SpotVerLoc:(null) occlude:0 /Volumes/Rowlf
1/14/17 8:53:11.000 AM kernel[0]: AFP_VFS afpfs_DoReconnect: doing reconnect on /Volumes/Rowlf
1/14/17 8:53:11.000 AM kernel[0]: AFP_VFS afpfs_DoReconnect: soft mounted and hidden volume so do not notify KEA for /Volumes/Rowlf
1/14/17 8:53:11.000 AM kernel[0]: AFP_VFS afpfs_DoReconnect: Max reconnect time: 30 secs, Connect timeout: 15 secs for /Volumes/Rowlf
1/14/17 8:53:11.000 AM kernel[0]: AFP_VFS afpfs_DoReconnect: connect to the server /Volumes/Rowlf
1/14/17 8:53:11.000 AM kernel[0]: AFP_VFS afpfs_DoReconnect: connect on /Volumes/Rowlf failed 51.
1/14/17 8:53:12.000 AM kernel[0]: AFP_VFS afpfs_DoReconnect: connect to the server /Volumes/Rowlf
1/14/17 8:53:12.000 AM kernel[0]: AFP_VFS afpfs_DoReconnect: connect on /Volumes/Rowlf failed 51.
1/14/17 8:53:14.000 AM kernel[0]: AFP_VFS afpfs_DoReconnect: connect to the server /Volumes/Rowlf
1/14/17 8:53:14.000 AM kernel[0]: AFP_VFS afpfs_DoReconnect: connect on /Volumes/Rowlf failed 51.
1/14/17 8:53:18.000 AM kernel[0]: AFP_VFS afpfs_DoReconnect: connect to the server /Volumes/Rowlf
1/14/17 8:53:18.000 AM kernel[0]: AFP_VFS afpfs_DoReconnect: connect on /Volumes/Rowlf failed 51.
1/14/17 8:53:26.000 AM kernel[0]: AFP_VFS afpfs_DoReconnect: connect to the server /Volumes/Rowlf
1/14/17 8:53:42.000 AM kernel[0]: AFP_VFS afpfs_DoReconnect: connect on /Volumes/Rowlf failed 60.
1/14/17 8:53:42.000 AM kernel[0]: AFP_VFS afpfs_DoReconnect: posting to KEA to unmount /Volumes/Rowlf
1/14/17 8:53:42.506 AM KernelEventAgent[67]: tid 54485244 type 'afpfs', mounted on '/Volumes/Rowlf', from '//uncleskeleton@piggy._afpovertcp._tcp.local/Rowlf', dead
1/14/17 8:53:42.506 AM KernelEventAgent[67]: tid 54485244 force unmount //uncleskeleton@piggy._afpovertcp._tcp.local/Rowlf from /Volumes/Rowlf
1/14/17 8:53:42.000 AM kernel[0]: AFP_VFS afpfs_unmount: /Volumes/Rowlf, flags 524288, pid 67

Thanks, all

reader50
Administrator
Jan 15, 2017, 02:06 PM

The startup folders don't look suspicious. Unless office / freedesktop / virtualbox has been configured to search out and mount piggy volumes. I don't use any of those three, so can't speculate further.

The console log looks promising. The first line is interesting. "mds" is the search indexer, used by Spotlight. Try this: with piggy mounted (mount all volumes if you can) go to System Prefs -> Spotlight -> Privacy (tab).

Click the [+] button below the list, and add all the piggy volumes.
( Last edited by reader50; Jan 26, 2017 at 02:47 PM. Reason: spelling)

Uncle Skeleton  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 15, 2017, 07:06 PM

Tried it, rebooted, but I still got the errant error message. Now there is nothing in console, but I still get the error :/

Uncle Skeleton  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 26, 2017, 12:43 PM

after many more reboots, I haven't seen the above console messages again. Looks like they were a red herring. My next potential red herring is this: about 90% of the time I see the offending error dialog, it is when I have just launched an application (all different types). I wonder if there is something common to all apps, like the "open recent" sub-menu (I have purged my various "open recent" sub-menus, to no avail).

Forum Links
Forum Rules