Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > What's to see in Ohio? ...

What's to see in Ohio? ...
cmeisenzahl
Grizzled Veteran
Jan 22, 2006, 08:24 PM

This year we want to visit the football museum in Canton. What else should we check out in Ohio? Or Western, PA as we pass through it?

Thanks in advance,
Chris

wallinbl
Professional Poster
Jan 22, 2006, 08:36 PM

Rock n Roll hall of fame is in Cleveland (I think).

Cedar Point has a massive collection of roller coasters. Kings Island in Cincinatti has some good rides (I loved the Beast as a kid). Every time someone builds a roller coaster that is the biggest X, longest Y, or bestest Z, Cedar Point builds one to top it.

If you're near Toledo, you can take a ferry out onto Lake Erie to Put-In-Bay. It's a small town on an island in the lake. There's a winery and a few touristy things there.

I haven't been to Ohio since I was 9, so I'm sure there's plenty else.

baw
Mac Elite
Jan 22, 2006, 08:36 PM

Just keep driving.

deej5871
Senior User
Jan 22, 2006, 09:51 PM

As an Ohioan I have to second Cedar Point. I've been there a few times and the coasters are awesome. That said, if I remember correctly they're only open in the summer and around Halloween.

jjlannoo
Forum Regular
Jan 22, 2006, 10:17 PM

Originally Posted by deej5871
As an Ohioan I have to second Cedar Point. I've been there a few times and the coasters are awesome. That said, if I remember correctly they're only open in the summer and around Halloween.
Cedar Point= Best collection of Coasters In North America. If you don't like Coasters though Don't bother.

Halloweekends in the fall are fun at Cedar Point

Oh yeah and they are closed right now for the winter
iMac G5 20" 2.1 GHz Power Mac G4 Cube 450 MHz
my .mac

birdman
Forum Regular
Jan 22, 2006, 10:22 PM

wallinbl pretty much covered it. I've lived here my whole life and can't really think of anything that would be of general interest to most people, but I've got the AAA TourBook here, so let's see what the highlights are...

Cedar Point is awesome, and as wallinbl said, always manages to build the biggest and best roller coasters in the world -- they're usually surpassed at some point, but CP has had more record-breaking-at-the-time-of-their-construction roller coasters than any other amusement park. Sandusky is about 90 minutes from Akron, though.

The company that runs CP also runs Geauga Lake, which was a Six Flags/Sea World park until a few years ago. That's in Aurora, which is pretty close to Akron-Canton. I haven't been there since the ownership change, but my friends consider the ticket price a bargain, especially compared to the higher-priced CP.

Personally, I wasn't that impressed with the Rock 'n' Roll Hall of Fame, but I know others (more into music history) who enjoy it. While you're there, the Great Lakes Science Center is right next door, along with an OMNImax theater.

Speaking of downtown Cleveland, might I also suggest Fat Fish Blue for some tasty dining (though the time I went, there was a $5 cover charge, and if we hadn't been in a little room off to the side, the music would've been way too loud for conversation; but that was a Saturday night after 8:00 with a live band). Another one of my favorites is The Winking Lizard Tavern, which has locations in Canton and elsewhere in northeastern Ohio. Their BBQ sauce is great, especially with the St. Louis-style ribs.

If you're into old houses, the Stan Hywet Hall and Gardens is a Tudor Revival mansion in Akron with (IIRC) rather extensive landscaping.

The Warther Carvings Museum in Dover has some unbelieveable ivory and wood carvings... which, in type, I realize sounds kinda boring, but they're incredibly intricate and detailed. See here.

If you're into flowers/gardens (and you're going in spring or summer), there's Kingwood Center in Mansfield and Franklin Park Conservatory in Columbus. Kingwood also has a mansion tour, and Franklin Park has a neat Glass Palace-esque greenhouse.

And if you're going to be here in the fall (or even if not), check out Hocking Hills State Park near Logan, which has some of the best waterfalls, foliage, and hiking trails in Ohio. They also have cottages to rent on the grounds. http://www.hockinghillspark.com/

Well then. I guess I had more to offer than I thought.

-birdman
( Last edited by birdman; Jan 22, 2006 at 10:34 PM. )

wdlove
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 22, 2006, 10:52 PM

You should contact tourism at the state capital in Columbus. The state has a lot to offer.

"Never give in, never give in, never, never, never, never - in nothing, great or small, large or petty - never give in except to convictions of honor and good sense." Winston Churchill

shunt
Dedicated MacNNer
Jan 22, 2006, 11:04 PM

Someone told me that Cleveland is called, " the mistake on the lake"

why?
Please keep in mind the ambiguously selective general understandings we've all agreed upon...

turtle777
Clinically Insane
Jan 22, 2006, 11:07 PM

Originally Posted by baw
Just keep driving.
Yeah, Indiana is much better.

birdman
Forum Regular
Jan 22, 2006, 11:11 PM

Originally Posted by shunt
Someone told me that Cleveland is called, " the mistake on the lake"

why?
From Wikipedia:
The city's nadir is often considered to be its default on its loans on December 15, 1978, when under Mayor Dennis Kucinich it became the first major American city to enter default since the Great Depression. National media began referring to Cleveland as "the mistake by/on the lake" around this time, in reference to both the city's financial difficulties as well as a 1969 fire on the Cuyahoga River where the oil and waste on the river's surface caught on fire. The city has struggled to shed this nickname ever since, though in recent times the national media have been much kinder to the city, using it as the poster child for downtown revitalization and urban renaissance.

The phrase was also used to describe the old Cleveland Municipal Stadium, which served as the venue for the Indians and Browns during their most atrocious years. I heard someone say once, "My doctor told me if I want to avoid future heart attacks, stop following Cleveland sports."

-birdman

euchomai
Mac Elite
Jan 22, 2006, 11:15 PM

lovers

shunt
Dedicated MacNNer
Jan 22, 2006, 11:19 PM

.....as well as a 1969 fire on the Cuyahoga River where the oil and waste on the river's surface caught on fire.

...that would do it.
Please keep in mind the ambiguously selective general understandings we've all agreed upon...

turtle777
Clinically Insane
Jan 22, 2006, 11:28 PM

Originally Posted by euchomai
lovers
Virginia is for.
Ohio isn't.

-t

Partisan01
Dedicated MacNNer
Jan 23, 2006, 01:02 AM

Well growing up in Cleveland, and now living in Western PA, I feel somewhat qualified to answer...

It really depends on what you're looking for. If you want entertainment I would second Rock Hall, Great Lakes Science Center, downtown resturants, the flats (not sure if it's as happening there anymore, was awesome 5 yrs ago.)

If you're more into the outdoors, Lake Erie has much to offer, Edgewater park, Mentor marsh, Cuyahoga Natl Park (just south of Cleveland)

In PA:

Pittsburgh: Aviary on the North Side, Phipps Conservatory, theaters downtown, Mt Washington, the inclines, South Side (awesome bars, resturants), the Strip District (bizzare type area, lots of street vendors, good eats), Shadyside, The Waterfront.

For the nature lover:
Laurel Highlands are the mountainous area south of Pgh, there's Ohiopyle, Forbes State Forest, Seven Springs, Hidden Valley (both skiing). There's TONS of hiking opportunities in the mountains.

North of Pgh: (roughly around I-80)
Moraine state park, Slippery Rock Gorge, Cook State Forest, Allegheny National Forest, lots of little towns and not much else

Best of luck, let us know what you end up doing!
Apple iBook, B&W, Quadra 660, PowerMac 6100
Sun Netra T1, Ultra 1, Javastation
http://natetobik.mine.nu:81

euchomai
Mac Elite
Jan 23, 2006, 01:27 AM

According to these guys and song #8 proves it!

SpaceMonkey
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 23, 2006, 01:45 AM

The house where they filmed the movie "A Christmas Story" is also in Cleveland.

"One ticket to Washington, please. I have a date with destiny."

keekeeree
Mac Elite
Location: Moved from Ohio's first capital to its current capital
Jan 23, 2006, 02:48 AM

aberdeenwriter
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 23, 2006, 04:20 AM

Originally Posted by turtle777
Virginia is for.
Ohio isn't.

-t
You've lived in either?
Consider these posts as my way of introducing you to yourself.

Proud "SMACKDOWN!!" and "Golden Troll" Award Winner.

aberdeenwriter
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 23, 2006, 04:59 AM

Originally Posted by birdman
wallinbl pretty much covered it. I've lived here my whole life and can't really think of anything that would be of general interest to most people, but I've got the AAA TourBook here, so let's see what the highlights are...

Cedar Point is awesome, and as wallinbl said, always manages to build the biggest and best roller coasters in the world -- they're usually surpassed at some point, but CP has had more record-breaking-at-the-time-of-their-construction roller coasters than any other amusement park. Sandusky is about 90 minutes from Akron, though.

The company that runs CP also runs Geauga Lake, which was a Six Flags/Sea World park until a few years ago. That's in Aurora, which is pretty close to Akron-Canton. I haven't been there since the ownership change, but my friends consider the ticket price a bargain, especially compared to the higher-priced CP.

Personally, I wasn't that impressed with the Rock 'n' Roll Hall of Fame, but I know others (more into music history) who enjoy it. While you're there, the Great Lakes Science Center is right next door, along with an OMNImax theater.

Speaking of downtown Cleveland, might I also suggest Fat Fish Blue for some tasty dining (though the time I went, there was a $5 cover charge, and if we hadn't been in a little room off to the side, the music would've been way too loud for conversation; but that was a Saturday night after 8:00 with a live band). Another one of my favorites is The Winking Lizard Tavern, which has locations in Canton and elsewhere in northeastern Ohio. Their BBQ sauce is great, especially with the St. Louis-style ribs.

If you're into old houses, the Stan Hywet Hall and Gardens is a Tudor Revival mansion in Akron with (IIRC) rather extensive landscaping.

The Warther Carvings Museum in Dover has some unbelieveable ivory and wood carvings... which, in type, I realize sounds kinda boring, but they're incredibly intricate and detailed. See here.

If you're into flowers/gardens (and you're going in spring or summer), there's Kingwood Center in Mansfield and Franklin Park Conservatory in Columbus. Kingwood also has a mansion tour, and Franklin Park has a neat Glass Palace-esque greenhouse.

And if you're going to be here in the fall (or even if not), check out Hocking Hills State Park near Logan, which has some of the best waterfalls, foliage, and hiking trails in Ohio. They also have cottages to rent on the grounds. http://www.hockinghillspark.com/

Well then. I guess I had more to offer than I thought.

-birdman
Goodtime River Cruise Boat ride.
Cleveland Zoo
Cleveland: Indians (Baseball), Browns (NFL), Cavaliers (NBA) It depends on time of year.
Check for schedule of Cleveland Grand Prix auto race & the annual Air Show.

Cleveland Orchestra - Depends on the season. Fall-Winter-Spring they are at Severence Hall in University Circle. In the Summer they are at Blossom Music Center near Akron.
http://www.hob.com/venues/concerts/blossom/

Several world class museums are in the University Circle area. Art, Natural History and Thompsons Auto Museum. This area is also home to the world renowned Cleveland Clinic and Case Western Reserve University.

June - Sept. can be hot, muggy or sunny. Thunderstorms can be magnificently violent with 100 mph winds & trees and power lines downed.

Sept. - early Nov. is arguably the best time of the year to visit Northeastern Ohio (Cleveland, Akron/Canton, Toledo, Youngstown). The fall foliage in NE Ohio rivals that of New England and Colorado for natural splendor.

During this time of year the sight and smell of the leaves is intoxicating. If you really want to revel in the season look into a hay ride in the areas to the south.

Many might be surprised at how close real farmland is to the bustling metro area.

The Inventor's Hall of Fame in Akron is really an interesting place. While there check out Michael Trecaso's Italian foods. It's a very casual place but it's loaded with character and if it is what I remember, they have old fashioned juke boxes at each table and in the 90's they featured a GREAT selection of all kinds of music but particularly Beatles tunes! Also, check out their Ice Cream!

http://www.marycoyle.com/food.cfm

Last, but not least, there is a small very exclusive community on the edge of Lake Erie named, Bratenahl. It is completely surrounded by the City of Cleveland but it is it's own separate township and has old money and was the enclave of the rich powerful captains of the steel, shipping, logging, paper and oil businesses and the community is so pleasant to drive through for me that it was worth the trouble of finding and negotiating.

If you want more info on this PM me.

EDIT: I used to work downstairs from Fat Fish Blue and it really is a lively blues club/restaurant. Parking used to be a big hassle in that area. Don't know if it's changed.

And speaking of blues, here's a listing I just noticed for the House of Blues in downtown Cleveland. http://www.hob.com/venues/clubvenues...directions.asp
( Last edited by aberdeenwriter; Jan 23, 2006 at 05:13 AM. )
Consider these posts as my way of introducing you to yourself.

Proud "SMACKDOWN!!" and "Golden Troll" Award Winner.

Hawkeye_a
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 23, 2006, 06:12 AM

I think Cedarpoint is the main attraction in Ohio.

Next stop Lake Michigan imo.

cmeisenzahl  (op)
Grizzled Veteran
Jan 23, 2006, 07:59 AM

Great info, thanks guys!!!

Wife already ruled these out, what a buzzkill! ;-)

http://www.ghostlymanor.com/

http://www.roadsideamerica.com/map/oh.html

birdman
Forum Regular
Jan 23, 2006, 08:17 AM

I second everything aberdeenwriter said. Blossom Music Center (near Akron) is a beautiful setting, and is a great place to take a picnic and sit out on the lawn. It's the home of the Cleveland Orchestra and the Blossom Festival Band during the summer, but they also host rock concerts and whatnot. The biggest pain with Blossom is the traffic upon leaving the place, as there are about fifty parking lots but only two roads, and that's hardly an exaggeration.

I've not been to Cuyahoga Valley National Park, but I've heard good things. I believe they have a railroad as well.

-birdman

turtle777
Clinically Insane
Jan 23, 2006, 09:01 AM

Originally Posted by aberdeenwriter
You've lived in either?
Duh. Look at my location.
And in case you can't read, yes, I've been living in VA for more than 3 years.

-t

CMYKid
Grizzled Veteran
Jan 23, 2006, 12:18 PM

Originally Posted by euchomai
According to these guys and song #8 proves it!

Ugh. Some of the worst music to ever come out of my home town.

If you're into planes and fly-ey things the National Museum of the Air Force is here. Pretty widely reknowned and a lot of great exhibits and planes you can walk through, especially now that we booted the director who was quietly selling off stuff and keeping the money.

TurboMac
Forum Regular
Jan 23, 2006, 12:27 PM

Actually Scott Weiland of STP went to my High School, so that would be another cool band/singer to come from the Cleveland area. Chimera, and Mushroomhead are also great bands form the area.

Summers offer a lot more obviously, so if you are comming, make it in the warmer months. That way you can also take in downtown to it's fullest, just be weary of tower city. Seems to be more and more thugs down there.
PowerBook 1.67 - www.qimcoinc.com

Dakar
Professional Poster
Jan 23, 2006, 12:34 PM

Western PA blows, IMO.

Forum Links
Forum Rules