Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > Please take part in this survey for my psychology class

View Poll Results: Would you be more or less inclined to skip...
Poll Options:
More inclined to skip 10 votes (31.25%)
Less inclined to skip 2 votes (6.25%)
No difference 20 votes (62.50%)
Voters: 32. You may not vote on this poll
Please take part in this survey for my psychology class
TFunkadelic
Forum Regular
Feb 19, 2006, 08:07 PM

Assume you had some prior obligation, like a sports team practice, music lesson, or play practice. If you could pay a small fee, such as one dollar, that would relieve all guilt as well as any ill sentiment from the person or persons you skipped on, would you feel...

Weyland-Yutani
Mac Elite
Feb 19, 2006, 08:11 PM

I'd feel pretty empty inside. If I could do it when I wanted, it would mean a certain end to discipline and responsibility.

There is freedom in both.

Not to mention, that if I could do this, then perhaps everyone else could. This whole idea seems to me more like a nightmare than a dream.

cheers

W-Y

“Building Better Worlds”

Kerrigan
Addicted to MacNN
Feb 19, 2006, 08:12 PM

Are you going to credit us for participating in this thing and helping you get a good grade, when you're supposed to actually go out and survey real people?

TFunkadelic  (op)
Forum Regular
Feb 19, 2006, 08:19 PM

Of course I'll site the mac nn boards as a survey source. Along with this and other boards, we have surveyed 3 classes in our highschool.

aberdeenwriter
Addicted to MacNN
Feb 19, 2006, 08:36 PM

Originally Posted by TFunkadelic
Assume you had some prior obligation, like a sports team practice, music lesson, or play practice. If you could pay a small fee, such as one dollar, that would relieve all guilt as well as any ill sentiment from the person or persons you skipped on, would you feel...
I'm not quite sure I understand your question or premise.

Ok, there is a previous obligation (sports team practice, music lesson, or play practice).

And you are assuming I forgot about that obligation ( )?

Or that I made a date with a girl with the intent of skipping that previous obligation?

Are you asking if I would feel justified in meeting my original, previously scheduled obligation if all I had to do to assuage my feelings of guilt toward the girl (and remove her negative feelings toward me) was to pay (her or someone else???) a small fee?

I'll try to answer based on what I THINK you mean.

No, I wouldn't want such a 'system' because it would cheapen one's level of commitment and the value of one's word.

Society and each of us as individuals already wrestle with this issue. Giving this 'weakness' of not keeping one's word or meeting one's obligations a socially acceptable way out is not the way to go.

And, yes, I say that knowing full well that when each of us fails in meeting our obligations or falls back on our word, we feel badly about it and invariably do something to atone for that shortcoming.

Indeed there MAY even be people who subconsciously fall short in their obligations so that they will continually feel guilty.

Sickness.

My answer to what I THINK is your question is, no.
Consider these posts as my way of introducing you to yourself.

Proud "SMACKDOWN!!" and "Golden Troll" Award Winner.

awaspaas
Mac Elite
Feb 19, 2006, 08:46 PM

Yeah, I don't get it either. You should clarify your question if you want any kind of meaningful results (not that you will from a message board poll anyway though)

TFunkadelic  (op)
Forum Regular
Feb 19, 2006, 08:55 PM

the premise was taken from a situation in europe at a daycare center. Parents were picking their children up late occasionally, and as a result, the daycare center found it only fair to charge a small fee. After the rule was instituted, more parents began picking their children up later, and by greater amounts of time.

this project is meant to analyze the reasons behind this phenomon.

Weyland-Yutani
Mac Elite
Feb 19, 2006, 10:35 PM

Did anyone consider that the reason might be related to that the parents appreciated the option of "buying" their kids more time at the daycare center?

Certainly if the daycare center puts a fee on those kids who are late (especially if it is reasonable) then it might be worth it to the parents to pay the fee and pick the kids up a little later.

Obviously if that fee was high enough, you can be certain that the parents would show up right on time!

How is this psychology? This marketing!

cheers

W-Y

“Building Better Worlds”

aberdeenwriter
Addicted to MacNN
Feb 20, 2006, 04:41 AM

the premise was taken from a situation in europe at a daycare center. Parents were picking their children up late occasionally, and as a result, the daycare center found it only fair to charge a small fee. After the rule was instituted, more parents began picking their children up later, and by greater amounts of time.

Oh, well then that takes on a whole different set of governing principles.

There were times when I worked as a telephone operator and knew if I was late for work by 10 minutes it was the same write-up as being 45 minutes late, so I took my time getting there once I knew I couldn't avoid being late.

If you know there is a price to pay, you figure you will just go ahead and pay.

In your scenario it's like a convenience tax. Something like buying milk at the 7-11 because you didn't bother going to the supermarket. You pay more and you know it and accept that extra cost. There's no moral obligation involved. It's like a library book but emotionally involving because your children are concerned. But like picking up your car from the garage. There's few situations like it. But the moral obligation isn't really part of the being late or paying. It's convenience and the cost involved. IMO.
( Last edited by aberdeenwriter; Feb 20, 2006 at 05:03 AM. )
Consider these posts as my way of introducing you to yourself.

Proud "SMACKDOWN!!" and "Golden Troll" Award Winner.

Kr0nos
Mac Elite
Feb 20, 2006, 05:32 AM

I checked "no difference", because if I didn't whish to play on a team, have music lessons or take part in a play, I simply wouldn't sign up in the first place.

If I change my way of living, and if I pave my streets with good times, will the mountain keep on giving…

Kr0nos
Mac Elite
Feb 20, 2006, 05:35 AM

Originally Posted by Weyland-Yutani
How is this psychology? This marketing!
Isn't everything these days.

If I change my way of living, and if I pave my streets with good times, will the mountain keep on giving…

wdlove
Addicted to MacNN
Feb 20, 2006, 07:08 PM

I would still feel guilty.

"Never give in, never give in, never, never, never, never - in nothing, great or small, large or petty - never give in except to convictions of honor and good sense." Winston Churchill

Miniryu
Mac Elite
Feb 20, 2006, 07:51 PM

Well I hope you don't get full credit for your assignment- the first rule of doing good research is to be crystal clear as to what you are looking for. This question is so ambiguous I can't even understand what it is you are asking. If we don't know what you are looking for it is almost certain you are not going to find it in our responses.

P.S. I'm being a dick, but most people in the research field are dicks too. Its better to learn to do stuff correctly now than in the future.

"Sing it again, rookie beyach."
My website

tooki
Admin Emeritus
Feb 20, 2006, 08:32 PM

You know there are already real-life studies on this, like the Israeli day-care center mentioned in Freakonomics, where they started fining parents $3 if they picked up their kids late... well instead of late pickups dropping, they rose substantially, because the fee eliminated all guilt. (The $3 was not enough money to actually recover the added cost of having the kids longer.)

tooki

shunt
Dedicated MacNNer
Feb 20, 2006, 08:51 PM

skip the practice, not feel guilty, keep the dollar....change schools

*other thread was locked, so repeating because I want you to get a good grade*
Please keep in mind the ambiguously selective general understandings we've all agreed upon...

deej5871
Senior User
Feb 20, 2006, 10:11 PM

Originally Posted by tooki
You know there are already real-life studies on this, like the Israeli day-care center mentioned in Freakonomics, where they started fining parents $3 if they picked up their kids late... well instead of late pickups dropping, they rose substantially, because the fee eliminated all guilt. (The $3 was not enough money to actually recover the added cost of having the kids longer.)

tooki
O RLY?

tooki
Admin Emeritus
Feb 20, 2006, 10:40 PM

Heh, oops, I missed that since it was in one of the two threads and not the other.

Nevertheless, this project doesn't do anything towards answering the question. Instead, it asks people what they think they would do, which stands a good chance of being substantially different from what they would actually do. Either way, it doesn't explore the reasons at all.

tooki

Forum Links
Forum Rules