Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > New Geico Ad Campaign: WTF?

New Geico Ad Campaign: WTF?
davesimondotcom
Addicted to MacNN
Jul 26, 2006, 07:09 PM

OK, it's not like Geico hasn't annoyed us for years with ads on TV, Radio, etc. We all know the "I've got good news, I just saved a load of money on my car insurance by switching to Geico" stuff and the Geico Gecko.

But now comes ads with real customers paired with obscure and fairly annoying celebrities. The person tells their story while the celebrity "jazzes it up."

So far, I've seen Bert Backarach (playing the piano and singing rather poorly, looking almost like he's high), Charo (always annoying) and Little Richard (strange looking, as always.)

Pretty much, they make me say: WTF??
[ sig removed - image host changed it to a big ad picture ]

lavar78
Professional Poster
Jul 26, 2006, 07:17 PM

Originally Posted by davesimondotcom
But now comes ads with real customers paired with obscure and fairly annoying celebrities.
I'll give you Charo, but how are Burt Bacharach and Little Richard obscure? You'd have to be like 12 to not know who they are.

"I'm virtually bursting with adequatulence!" - Bill McNeal, NewsRadio

Adam Betts
Addicted to MacNN
Jul 26, 2006, 07:29 PM

I love those commercials

Rumor
Jul 26, 2006, 07:31 PM

They've always got on my nerves.

The best insurance commercial to date is the Aflak one with the duck chasing the chinese delivery guy.
I like my water with hops, malt, hops, yeast, and hops.

DigitalEl
Mac Elite
Jul 26, 2006, 07:32 PM

Little Richard is obscure in that he hasn't done anything relevant in many of our lifetimes. Burt Bacharach... I could see someone over 12 not knowing who he is. He's hardly a household name.

And yeah, the commercials are annoying as all get-out. I zap through 'em at 3 clicks on the TiVo.

It's a shame these spots miss. Geico's "Caveman" spots are some of the funniest I can think of, of late.

And yeah, I will have the roast duck, thank you.
Jalen's dad. Carrie's husband.  partisan. Bleu blanc et rouge.

Chuckit
Clinically Insane
Jul 26, 2006, 07:36 PM

Hey, how can you not like Charo?
Chuck
___
"Instead of either 'multi-talented' or 'multitalented' use 'bisexual'."

::maroma::
Addicted to MacNN
Jul 26, 2006, 07:43 PM

The mere fact that you are posting this on an internet message board says that their ad campaign is working, to at least a certain degree. Its promoting discussion, and that discussion is centered around Geiko. They win!

I think a lot of companies create very odd or seemingly ridiculous and annoying ad campaigns solely to get people talking about them.

I've only see the one with Burt in it. I thought it was mildly funny. They could've made it lots funnier though.

davesimondotcom  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Jul 26, 2006, 07:52 PM

Originally Posted by ::maroma::
The mere fact that you are posting this on an internet message board says that their ad campaign is working, to at least a certain degree.
True, I guess, except I haven't ever considered switching my insurance.

I do like the caveman ads, mainly for the caveman saying, "I'll have the roast duck, with the mango salsa."
[ sig removed - image host changed it to a big ad picture ]

himself
Mac Elite
Jul 26, 2006, 07:53 PM

gieco. heh. the new starburst ads are quite funny.
"Bill Gates can't guarantee Windows... how can you guarantee my safety?"
-John Crichton

ironknee
Addicted to MacNN
Jul 26, 2006, 07:54 PM

very funny stuff

lavar78
Professional Poster
Jul 26, 2006, 08:18 PM

Originally Posted by DigitalEl
Little Richard is obscure in that he hasn't done anything relevant in many of our lifetimes. Burt Bacharach... I could see someone over 12 not knowing who he is. He's hardly a household name.
That's like saying George Washington is obscure. As for Bacharach, I'm thinking his appearances on the Austin Powers movies and American Idol have reached most of the people who are too young to know him first-hand.

Geico's "Caveman" spots are some of the funniest I can think of, of late.

And yeah, I will have the roast duck, thank you.
I want to hate those commercials, but the look the second guy gives (the one who lost his appetite) is too hilarious.

I also never knew it was possible to dislike Charo. Coochie, coochie, coo!

macroy
Mac Elite
Jul 26, 2006, 08:29 PM

Geico cavemen rocks!

All three commercials were awsome. I actually like the first one.... with the mic dude....
"what!?!? That is NOT cool!!"

slugslugslug
Mac Elite
Jul 26, 2006, 08:33 PM

I actually laugh for the first few seconds, when the combination of the voiceover and the initial image are really funny. But by the time they start talking, I stop caring..

Sky Captain
Mac Elite
Location: Second star to the right, and straight on till morning
Jul 26, 2006, 08:39 PM

I annoy my wife with the "I'll have the roast duck with the mango salsa" line at every restraunt we go to now.

iREZ
Professional Poster
Jul 27, 2006, 02:28 PM

annoying commercials = success

all started by the charmin guy.
NOW YOU SEE ME! 2.4 MBP and 2.0 MBP (running ubuntu)

Dakar
Professional Poster
Jul 27, 2006, 02:29 PM

Originally Posted by Sky Captain
I annoy my wife with the "I'll have the roast duck with the mango salsa" line at every restraunt we go to now.
You better slur it, too.

starman
Clinically Insane
Jul 27, 2006, 02:44 PM

"You can DO IIIIIIIIIIIIIIIT!"

Home - Twitter - Sig Wall-Retired - Flickr

TheoCryst
Mac Elite
Jul 27, 2006, 03:12 PM

Originally Posted by himself
gieco. heh. the new starburst ads are quite funny.
Yes. Yes they are.

Any ramblings are entirely my own, and do not represent those of my employers, coworkers, friends, or species

Millennium
Clinically Insane
Jul 27, 2006, 03:29 PM

If the new ad really bothers you that much, I have good news. I just saved a bunch of money on my car insurance...

You are in Soviet Russia. It is dark. Grue is likely to be eaten by YOU!

starman
Clinically Insane
Jul 27, 2006, 03:33 PM

Originally Posted by Millennium
If the new ad really bothers you that much, I have good news. I just saved a bunch of money on my car insurance...

You got me.

Gossamer
Professional Poster
Jul 27, 2006, 03:36 PM

Anybody got links to these new commericals??
The starburst one was great!

itai195
Addicted to MacNN
Jul 27, 2006, 03:40 PM

I saved a bunch of money on my car insurance by not switching to Geico

Anyway, the new ads are really, really strange.

::maroma::
Addicted to MacNN
Jul 27, 2006, 03:44 PM

Anyone know who Geiko's ad company is? Whoever they are, I think they've done a great job for them. They've had a lot of campaigns lately that stick in everyone's heads.

"I saved a bunch of money on my car insurance by not switching to Geico"
Lizard Guy
Cavemen
And now the latest ones.

memento
Mac Elite
Jul 28, 2006, 08:30 AM

Originally Posted by starman
"You can DO IIIIIIIIIIIIIIIT!"
DUDE! That is SO funny!

Honestly, Geico has some of the most effective advertising. The fact that we're here laughing and quoting commercials (here and in real life) is a testament to that. And I have never heard of "Bert Backarach". no clue as to who he is. I've not seen the Austin Powers movies, they look annoying to me, and I absolutely hate American Idol. The whole premise of the show makes me nautious.

I also think VW has great commercials.
"Destroy your ego. Trust your brain. Destroy your beliefs. Trust your divinity." -Danny Carey

MacPro Quad 2.66, G4 MDD dual 867, 23" Cinema Display and 17" LCD, G4 Quicksilver dual 800, 12" Powerbook 867, iMac 300 Grape, B&W G3/300 with G4/450 running yellowdog, iPod 5GB, iPod mini, PowerCenter 150, Powercenter 132 tower, Performa 6116, Quadra 700, MacSE, LC II, eMate 300

Apple Pro Underwear
Addicted to MacNN
Jul 28, 2006, 08:36 AM

i think this campaign is smart and funny and does the job well.

Gossamer
Professional Poster
Jul 28, 2006, 08:52 AM

The first thing I thought of when hearing the name Burt Backarach was the Austion Powers movie...and I haven't see that in ages.

lavar78
Professional Poster
Jul 28, 2006, 11:09 AM

Originally Posted by memento
And I have never heard of "Bert Backarach". no clue as to who he is.
Well, Burt Bacharach writes these things called "songs." When these "songs" become popular, they're called "hits." He has lots of these "hits." They're usually played on this thing called "radio." Several of these "hits" have been used in recent advertisements: "Always Something There to Remind Me," "Do You Know the Way to San José," "(They Long to Be) Close to You," and "What the World Needs Now Is Love" immediately spring to mind.

iREZ
Professional Poster
Jul 28, 2006, 11:20 AM

i LOVE this starburst ad http://www.tubespot.com/node/149

heres another pretty ok one http://www.tubespot.com/node/136
NOW YOU SEE ME! 2.4 MBP and 2.0 MBP (running ubuntu)

Hi I'm Ben
Mac Elite
Jul 28, 2006, 11:31 AM

Anyone know who Geiko's ad company is? Whoever they are, I think they've done a great job for them. They've had a lot of campaigns lately that stick in everyone's heads.

Lizard Guy
Cavemen
And now the latest ones.
I know they're owned by Berkshire Hathaway and had talked about doubling the cost of their advertising this year.

memento
Mac Elite
Jul 28, 2006, 12:21 PM

Originally Posted by lavar78
Well, Burt Bacharach writes these things called "songs." When these "songs" become popular, they're called "hits." He has lots of these "hits." They're usually played on this thing called "radio." Several of these "hits" have been used in recent advertisements: "Always Something There to Remind Me," "Do You Know the Way to San José," "(They Long to Be) Close to You," and "What the World Needs Now Is Love" immediately spring to mind.
So this Bert guy is some kind of "hit" songwriter. yay. good for him. Top 40 radio music has zero appeal to me, so I'm sure I'll never willingly hear his stuff.
"Destroy your ego. Trust your brain. Destroy your beliefs. Trust your divinity." -Danny Carey

MacPro Quad 2.66, G4 MDD dual 867, 23" Cinema Display and 17" LCD, G4 Quicksilver dual 800, 12" Powerbook 867, iMac 300 Grape, B&W G3/300 with G4/450 running yellowdog, iPod 5GB, iPod mini, PowerCenter 150, Powercenter 132 tower, Performa 6116, Quadra 700, MacSE, LC II, eMate 300

Dakar
Professional Poster
Jul 28, 2006, 12:24 PM

Easy Listening would be a more accurate description, IMO.

starman
Clinically Insane
Jul 28, 2006, 12:35 PM

So this Bert guy is some kind of "hit" songwriter. yay. good for him. Top 40 radio music has zero appeal to me, so I'm sure I'll never willingly hear his stuff.
Um...he's done a lot for the last FORTY YEARS. I'm surprised you never heard of him. Hell, he was mentioned in Monty Python skits.

Chuckit
Clinically Insane
Jul 28, 2006, 12:46 PM

Your ability to avoid stores and other places with radios is uncanny. I don't own a radio and I still manage to hear stuff all the time.
Chuck
___
"Instead of either 'multi-talented' or 'multitalented' use 'bisexual'."

memento
Mac Elite
Jul 28, 2006, 01:20 PM

There's a big difference between hearing a radio in a store and listening to the radio. I hope I don't have to explain that difference. I've not listened to the radio since like 1986. My car stereo doesn't have the radio antenna hooked up because it was not worth the 15 seconds it would have taken me to connect it.

Of the songs mentioned, I recognized "Always Something There to Remind Me" but had always thought that it was from an 80s British band, which was ironically right around the time when I stopped listening to the radio. coincidence?

lavar78
Professional Poster
Jul 28, 2006, 01:28 PM

Of the songs mentioned, I recognized "Always Something There to Remind Me" but had always thought that it was from an 80s British band, which was ironically right around the time when I stopped listening to the radio. coincidence?
Naked Eyes covered that song in '83. So at least you've heard his songs even if you didn't know his name (and it's "Burt" BTW). For what it's worth, I was just naming some of his songs that have recently been used in ads. I imagine his most well known song is probably "Raindrops Keep Falling on My Head."

memento
Mac Elite
Jul 28, 2006, 01:49 PM

ok. So then I know some of his songs but never liked them enough to research into who wrote the music. And I still can't find myself caring enough about it to try and remember who he is. I pay attention to music that interests me (for chuckit, that means listen, not hear). Nothing we've talked about here fits into that category. Bert somethingoranother wrote a song that some lame 80s british band covered. wow. And who was it that wrote that raindrops song? whoever. whatever. you won't catch me listening to it nor performing it.

Originally Posted by DigitalEl
...Burt Bacharach... I could see someone over 12 not knowing who he is. He's hardly a household name.
Look at that, you found someone who has no idea who he is and doesn't care.

starman
Clinically Insane
Jul 28, 2006, 02:44 PM

Wow. Violence over Burt Bacharach. Who'dathought?

memento
Mac Elite
Jul 28, 2006, 04:03 PM

over who?

Gossamer
Professional Poster
Jul 28, 2006, 04:15 PM

No one's got links to the Geico commericals? Do I have to...gasp...watch TV now?

starman
Clinically Insane
Jul 28, 2006, 04:50 PM

There are a ton on Google and Youtube.

BTW: That makes post #9000.

Gossamer
Professional Poster
Jul 28, 2006, 05:28 PM

Gosh...had to do my own searches...mumble mumble...
Burt
Little Richard
Charo

By far my favorite still

lavar78
Professional Poster
Jul 28, 2006, 07:44 PM

Bert somethingoranother wrote a song that some lame 80s british band covered. wow.
Don't forget all those other lame acts that have sung his songs, like Aretha Franklin, the Beatles, and Ella Fitzgerald.

ironknee
Addicted to MacNN
Jul 28, 2006, 11:40 PM

anyone agree that the T moble commercial with the cheerleader has an atempted up skirt in it?

himself
Mac Elite
Jul 29, 2006, 12:48 AM

Jack Links; Messin' With Sasquatch
Next to the starburst commercials, these are probably my favorite.
-John Crichton

himself
Mac Elite
Jul 29, 2006, 12:49 AM

Originally Posted by ironknee
anyone agree that the T moble commercial with the cheerleader has an atempted up skirt in it?
I have an acquaintance that talks just like her... such a shame.
-John Crichton

mydog8mymac
Mac Enthusiast
Jul 29, 2006, 12:59 AM

Originally Posted by Adam Betts
I love those commercials
Me too!

DeathMan
Mac Elite
Jul 29, 2006, 10:14 PM

-- N/M he answered my objection, I was too quick with the reply button.

ironknee
Addicted to MacNN
Jul 30, 2006, 12:48 AM

head on, apply directly on the head

hayesk
Jul 30, 2006, 12:11 PM

Lizard Guy
Cavemen
And now the latest ones.
Lizard Guy? Do you mean the gecko? Geico - Gecko. Get it?

deej5871
Senior User
Jul 30, 2006, 04:40 PM

Originally Posted by ironknee
head on, apply directly to the forehead
Fixed™

I still am not sure what will happen if I were to apply it to my forehead though.. Is it supposed to cure headaches? Cancer? I have no idea because they never tell me in the commercial.

Forum Links
Forum Rules