Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > Anyone in Seattle, Olympia and Portland area? Need your help.

Anyone in Seattle, Olympia and Portland area? Need your help.
Apple_John
Forum Regular
Aug 7, 2005, 02:38 AM

Hi all,

My GF and I are planning a 4-5 days road trip from Victoria, BC Canada and drove south to Portland back to Vancouver Canada via Seattle and hope any locals help us to prepare it better.

We like it 80% urban 20% natural, which mean no long hiking but mostly shopping and site seeing. After all, we are living on the island means we did most shopping online and like to visit these specific type of stores in person.

1. Outlet Mall
This trip is for my GF b-day, she would love to stop by every Outlet Mall if possible. I mean every one of them on/near the route, from Old Navy/Gap/Banana Republic to Burberry/Coach/Fendi... The last time we did some crazy shopping is about 5 years ago in HK, so she is ready to BUY!
Location? Deals?

2. Shopping Mall
Beside Outlet, we can do some "window shopping" (hopefully) in higher class shops, like Saks Fifth Ave, Louis vuitton, tiffany&Co, etc.
Location? Downtown Parking? Hours?

(my turn now)
3. Apple Store
Which Apple Store I should visit if I can only go to just one?
I am not looking to buy anything specific, but like to visit the biggest and coolest one, and free parking please. (NYC is too far away...)

4. Camera Store
I am looking for a couple Canon L lens and maybe a better tripod. Which one or two I should drop by?

5. Exotic Animal Store
I have 4 turtles and would love to buy them some gift... Best price and Best selection is the Best.

6. Outdoor store
Kayak, Kite surfing, surfing, etc. My wetsuit need replacement soon...

7. Car part store
Any huge car part supermarket will do, no behind the counter type pls. Also, Off-roading part store is welcome. Maybe even Army Surplus places.

8. RC store
Deals on RC planes and truck.

Beside buying, few other places we would love to drop by.

1. Restaurant / Snack
Any good local restaurant we should try in your area? Not too expensive, ~$20 per person dinner max.
Location? Hours? Reservation?

2. Site seeing
We are in our 20s, no museum or zoo please. We like places that locals hang out, like city parks, beaches, waterfall, historical site, bar distinct, no entry fee is the best.
Location? parking? Safety?

3. Postcard landmark
Carry 10 lb of camera system with me, hope to capture each city unique.
Location? time?

4. ???
Any others suggestion??

Thanks,

John
( Last edited by Apple_John; Aug 7, 2005 at 06:50 PM. )

Apple_John  (op)
Forum Regular
Aug 7, 2005, 02:43 AM

So far, the routes are

Victoria ->
Port Angeles -> #5 or #101 ??? Is #101 worth extra 3-4 hrs?
Portland->
(Mt. St. Helens??)
Olympia->
Tacoma ->
Seattle ->
Vancouver

We prefer staying as camp site as long as it is close to city and safe.

spindler
Forum Regular
Aug 7, 2005, 03:09 AM

If you want to do some fancy shopping, you can go to the mall at University drive. They have both an Apple Store and a Coach store. It is very upscale and more pretentious then most of Seattle:

Apple Store
2656 NE University Village Street
Seattle, WA 98105
(206) 524-8100

You can see the rest of the stores at http://www.uvillage.com/

If you want great food for cheap, and you happen to like clam chowder, for $7 they have a huge container of the most fantastic clam chowder at the Seattle Fisherman's Terminal which is a little north of downtown. It is the store to the left of the Korean grocery place in the terminal.

Seattle Fisherman's Terminal
3919 18th Ave West
Seattle, WA

Also, Seattle has the best bread in the U.S. and there are lots of independent food markets rathe than large chains. So go into any PCC market, Larry's Market, or any other local market and they have like 20 different types of the most fantastic bread you'll ever have for like $3 a loaf.

Athens
Addicted to MacNN
Aug 7, 2005, 03:22 AM

Originally Posted by Apple_John
Hi all,

My GF and I are planning a 4-5 days road trip from Victoria, BC Canada and drove south to Portland back to Vancouver Canada via Seattle and hope any locals help us to prepare it better.

We like it 80% urban 20% natural, which mean no long hiking but mostly shopping and site seeing. After all, we are living on the island means we did most shopping online and like to visit these specific type of stores in person.

1. Outlet Mall
This trip is for my GF b-day, she would love to stop by every Outlet Mall if possible. I mean every one of them on/near the route, from Old Navy/Gap/Banana Republic to Burberry/Coach/Fendi... The last time we did some crazy shopping is about 5 years ago in HK, so she is ready to BUY!
Location? Deals?

2. Shopping Mall
Beside Outlet, we can do some "window shopping" (hopefully) in higher class shops, like Saks Fifth Ave, Louis vuitton, tiffany&Co, etc.
Location? Downtown Parking? Hours?

(my turn now)
3. Apple Store
Which Apple Store I should visit if I can only go to just one?
I am not looking to buy anything specific, but like to visit the biggest and coolest one, and free parking please. (NYC is too far away...)

4. Camera Store
I am looking for a couple Canon L lens and maybe a better tripod. Which one or two I should drop by?

5. Exotic Animal Store
I have 4 turtles and would love to buy them some gift... Best price and Best selection is the Best.

6. Outdoor store
Kayak, Kite surfing, surfing, etc. My wetsuit need replacement soon...

7. Car part store
Any huge car part supermarket will do, no behind the counter type pls. Also, Off-roading part store is welcome. Maybe even Army Surplus places.

Beside buying, few other places we would love to drop by.

1. Restaurant / Snack
Any good local restaurant we should try in your area? Not too expensive, ~$20 per person dinner max.
Location? Hours? Reservation?

2. Site seeing
We are in our 20s, no museum or zoo please. We like places that locals hang out, like city parks, beaches, waterfall, historical site, bar distinct, no entry fee is the best.
Location? parking? Safety?

3. Postcard landmark
Carry 10 lb of camera system with me, hope to capture each city unique.
Location? time?

4. ???
Any others suggestion??

Thanks,

John

When are you going because im giong to be doing a drive to Seattle really soon too from Vancouver.
Blandine Bureau 1940 - 2011
Missed 2012 by 3 days, RIP Grandma :-(

Apple_John  (op)
Forum Regular
Aug 7, 2005, 03:28 AM

Thanks spindler.

When are you going because im giong to be doing a drive to Seattle really soon too from Vancouver.
Leaving Victoria on the 14th, arrive Vancouver 17th/18th. maybe to Calgary or Tofino afterward...

Athens
Addicted to MacNN
Aug 7, 2005, 03:56 AM

ah im taking off a week later then u. Was going to sugest driving part way together. Its always good to be in groups incase of car problems
Blandine Bureau 1940 - 2011
Missed 2012 by 3 days, RIP Grandma :-(

Apple_John  (op)
Forum Regular
Aug 7, 2005, 06:41 PM

ah im taking off a week later then u. Was going to sugest driving part way together. Its always good to be in groups incase of car problems
now I know I can hitchhiking a week later back to Canada if needed.

Anymore suggestion??

SVass
Mac Elite
Aug 7, 2005, 07:07 PM

http://www.bellevuesquare.com/ if you take the 405 bypass of Seattle. They have an Apple store; but, I don't know why anyone would got there. (There is another Apple store at Southcenter Mall where 405 rejoins I-5). The best trip would be Fort Warden (our protection against evil invaders), and Olympia has some nice water front restaurants; but, I can't describe the route. I don't do shopping so I can not help you there though the Bellevue Mall has a lot of shops. sam

Kenneth
Addicted to MacNN
Aug 7, 2005, 07:17 PM

There's one so-called Seattle Premium Outlets in Marysville, WA. If you drive along I-5 South from B.C, you should be able to see it.

There are many shopping malls here in the Pacific NW. Meanwhile, The Bellevue Square Apple Store is less then 10 mins from my home. Not the best Apple Store here, but still worth checking it out.

Apple_John  (op)
Forum Regular
Aug 7, 2005, 07:19 PM

Thanks guys.

Google maps

Is this place worth the extra ~2 hr driving? Any fee driving arcoss the bridge?

goMac
Posting Junkie
Aug 7, 2005, 09:11 PM

1) There is one in a town called Centrelia, halfway between Portland and Seattle, right off I5. You can't miss the outlet malls. Look for a big billboard with Vegitales (there happens to be a Christian Outlet in that mall).
2) University Village has the biggest Apple Store in Washington, and it is also an exceptionally nice mall. It is a bit off I-5, but it should be pretty easy to google directions. Otherwise, there is Alderwood, which is just off I-5 north of Lake Forest Park which is north of Seattle. Alderwood has my favorite Apple Store, it's the only one I"ll purchase from mainly because of their exceptional Genius Bar.
3) Covered above.
4) There is a camera store at Alderwood I believe. Nothing special though.
5) No idea on that one.
6) Alderwood has an REI in the mall. Portland has two, but they are harder to get to.
7) No idea.

1) Portland has a brewery/burger place called Widmer Brothers. There is an Old Spaghetti Factory in Alderwood a little ways off the mall. Alderwood also has nice sit down places on the mall these days. University Village also has very nice restaurants. University Village is a more outdoor mall.
2) If you are passing through Portland on the weekend check out the Saturday Market (runs on Saturday and Sunday). Lots of cool stuff there. In Seattle there is of course the Farmers Market. Also check out Discovery Park, it's a bit off I5. If you want to take a Ferry head up to Edmonds and take the Edmonds/Kingston ferry. There is a decent sit down food place right on the other side above the parking lot. Usual burger/seafood/pasta fare. If you really want to go a ways out from Seattle, head up to Mulkelteo, take the ferry to Clinton, and just head out on that road (you'll be on an Island so there won't be any other roads) and stop by Ford Casey. This is about a two hour drive. It's an old fort built during World War 2 and never used. Great for a picnic or exploring the fort. I took my girlfriend on a date there once. Plenty of other places, just ask me for more. Don't forget the Space Needle. You can eat on the top floor, which actually rotates around. This is almost a must, but you'll need reservations. Covers sight seeing, and eating at the same time.
3) See above.
8 Core 2.8 ghz Mac Pro/GF8800/2 23" Cinema Displays, 3.06 ghz Macbook Pro
Once you wanted revolution, now you're the institution, how's it feel to be the man?

Kenneth
Addicted to MacNN
Aug 7, 2005, 11:12 PM

Thanks guys.

Google maps

Is this place worth the extra ~2 hr driving? Any fee driving arcoss the bridge?
I think you mean the Astoria Bridge. It's no longer a toll bridge AFAIK.

Apple_John  (op)
Forum Regular
Aug 11, 2005, 09:12 PM

Thanks guys. We will do the final planning tonight.

Between Porland to Seattle, we hope to stay one night camping (tenting). Any experience on any waterfront campground in those area?

Anymore suggestion?? with the high $$$ on gas, I hope to cover as much as possible.

Ham Sandwich
Aug 12, 2005, 06:05 AM

You gotta go to Astoria if for nothing more than to look at Goonies shoot locations!

turtle777
Clinically Insane
Aug 12, 2005, 09:57 AM

Yo ma man !

Max out your credit card, get any loan you can get. Don't hold back. Your turtles are worth every penny you have !

-t

DarwinX
Aug 12, 2005, 10:05 AM

I visited BC last summer and had a great time. I spent most of the trip in Seattle and enjoyed that as well!

Astoria is sweet and so is that bridge, though that was a different trip 6 or 7 years ago. Good times though. Enjoy and post some pics when you get back.

deomacius
Senior User
Aug 12, 2005, 11:00 AM

Some of these are just outside of Portland.

1. Outlet Mall
Troutdale Outlet Mall just off of I-84.
Gresham Station in Gresham between Division and Burnside.

2. Shopping Mall
Lloyd Center
Clackamas Town Center
Washington Square Mall
Jantzen Beach

3. Apple Store
There is one at this location in Washington Square Mall this.

4. Camera Store
You might check out Wolf Cameras and Cameraworld on this list.

5. Exotic Animal Store
Unsure about this one, but you might check CitySearch for this info.

6. Outdoor store
There's REI at Jantzen Beach.

7. Car part store
Hmmm.... you're on your own there.

8. RC store
Can't help you there.

1. Restaurant / Snack
Michael's Italian Beef & Sausage Company. They have some grub Chicago style hot dogs.

2. Site seeing
The Columbia River Gorge.

3. Postcard landmark
Crown Point.

4. ???
Any others suggestion??
Oregon Coast.
Mt. Hood.

Enjoy your visit!

You reap what you sow.

Ham Sandwich
Aug 12, 2005, 11:30 AM

Mt. Hood is pretty cool, too. The lodge at the top is where they did the exterior shots for The Shining.

What's it with me going to movie locations?

thunderous_funker
Addicted to MacNN
Aug 12, 2005, 02:06 PM

Portland is literally over run with brewpubs and just about every restaurant/bar/eatery in town has happy hour. In fact, many places have late night happy hour from 9-close most nights of week. Great way to get your eat/drink on without blowing your budget.

Downtown Portland has a small Apple store at the Pioneer Place Mall so you don't have to schlep out to the burbs.

There is also a great REI in downtown Portland, but the real winner is the flagship REI in Seattle. Its immense. Even has its own bike test trail around the building.

As for pub crawling, Portland is the Mecca. Downtown literally has dozens of pubs and restaurants (many of them 80+ years old and beautiful if you're into great vintage bars) all within walking distance and very few of them charge covers.

You can PM me if you want more details on nightlife in PDX.

If you want the scenic route, by all means go the Astoria route. Its gorgeous. Astoria really is a neat little town in a amazingly beautiful setting. From there is is only 30 miles to some of the best coastal sate parks and lots of camping options. Wake up the next day and drive 80 miles into Portland.
"There he goes. One of God's own prototypes. Some kind of high powered mutant never even considered for mass production. Too weird to live, and too rare to die." -- Hunter S. Thompson

deomacius
Senior User
Aug 12, 2005, 02:51 PM

thunderous_funk,

Where abouts are you at? I'm over in Troutdale. The Apple store you're referring to isn't an official "Apple Store", you know. I think he was looking for one of the white logo apple stores. Plus I think they changed their name to "The Mac Store".

Oh, one other thing. Being newly single, I could always use some info on the nightlife in PDX. I'm a clean fun kind of guy, but I'm open to suggestions. PM me if you don't want to share those suggestions in this thread.

You reap what you sow.

deomacius
Senior User
Aug 12, 2005, 02:53 PM

Originally Posted by screamingFit
Mt. Hood is pretty cool, too. The lodge at the top is where they did the exterior shots for The Shining.

What's it with me going to movie locations?
You do know that The Hunted was filmed downtown in Portland and Goonies,KinderGarten Cop and Short Circuit in Astoria, right?

You reap what you sow.

thunderous_funker
Addicted to MacNN
Aug 12, 2005, 02:57 PM

Originally Posted by deomacius
thunderous_funk,

Where abouts are you at? I'm over in Troutdale. The Apple store you're referring to isn't an official "Apple Store", you know. I think he was looking for one of the white logo apple stores. Plus I think they changed their name to "The Mac Store".

Oh, one other thing. Being newly single, I could always use some info on the nightlife in PDX. I'm a clean fun kind of guy, but I'm open to suggestions. PM me if you don't want to share those suggestions in this thread.
I live downtown, on the south park blocks.

There is an official Apple store in the Pioneer Place Mall. Opened up about 4 weeks ago. linky

"There he goes. One of God's own prototypes. Some kind of high powered mutant never even considered for mass production. Too weird to live, and too rare to die." -- Hunter S. Thompson

deomacius
Senior User
Aug 12, 2005, 03:01 PM

Originally Posted by thunderous_funker
I live downtown, on the south park blocks.

There is an official Apple store in the Pioneer Place Mall. Opened up about 4 weeks ago. linky

Thanks! Now that you mention it, I do remember hearing about that going in. I'll have to go see it now.

You reap what you sow.

thunderous_funker
Addicted to MacNN
Aug 12, 2005, 03:10 PM

Originally Posted by deomacius
Thanks! Now that you mention it, I do remember hearing about that going in. I'll have to go see it now.
Anything that discourages people from visiting Beaverton/Tigard is a good thing in my book.

deomacius
Senior User
Aug 12, 2005, 03:13 PM

Originally Posted by thunderous_funker
Anything that discourages people from visiting Beaverton/Tigard is a good thing in my book.

Agreed!

Now, more about this nightlife you mentioned earlier.

You reap what you sow.

thunderous_funker
Addicted to MacNN
Aug 12, 2005, 03:50 PM

Vintage bars with serious character/history:
  • Ringler's
  • Ringler's Annex (underground in a triangle shaped bldg that is 100 yrs old) -- stairs from the street just descend into a gem of a bar
  • Virginia Cafe
  • Jake's Famous Crawfish -- 100 year old restaurant with great bar
  • Henry's 12th St Tavern -- new updated, posh joint in the original Weinhart brewery bldg
  • lots more

Brewpubs
  • Laurelwood -- 1st certified organic brewery in Oregon and the best damned beer on the planet
  • New Old Lompoc
  • Rogue Ale House
  • Henry's has a beer list so long you'll plotz (all on tap) but prices are a bit high
  • Bridgeport
  • lots more

Dive bars with seriously cool people and character
  • Matador -- punk, goth bar with best jukebox in the universe
  • Goose Hollow Inn -- owned by Bud Clark, former mayor and the man in the "expose yourself to art" posters of a bygone era. Full of 60+ professors and natives discussing politics, art, history, etc...
  • Shanghai Tunnel -- underground in the former tunnels used to shanghai sailors (portland infamous for this practice). Best damn late night menu you can imagine including the Bad Ass Mutha F*cker Burger
  • Hung Far Low -- a chinatown legend
  • Horse Brass -- english style pub, 100s of brews on tap and english pub fare (including scotch eggs)
  • Kelly's Olympian -- awesome grub, hot waitresses and vintage motorcylces hanging from the ceiling
  • endless list

Schmancy places
  • Higgins -- arguably best restaurant in town and a beer/wine list to die for. They take beer as seriously as wine and have belgian beers that are hard to find including The Duchess (cue choir of angels)
  • Brasserie Montmarte -- french bistro, live jazz and food until 2pm and the best damn servive in town
  • Dragonfish -- happy hour sushi (including $2.75 sake)
  • Harrison's -- amazing food, great happy hour
  • Bartini -- martini menu is 10 pages
  • Brazen Bean -- same as above

That is a very very cursory list from the top of my head and most of them are all within 10 block radius downtown. There are other great parts of the city with great places, but I can't list them all.

deomacius
Senior User
Aug 12, 2005, 04:10 PM

You, Mr. Funk, Are the man!

This is a good list to get me started. I'll definitely be checking some of those places out. Thanks for the info.

You reap what you sow.

Apple_John  (op)
Forum Regular
Aug 13, 2005, 07:08 PM

Thanks agian,

We booked 2 nights @ downtown Portland (Mark Spencer), so we can visit as many bars as thunderous_funker mentioned, hopefully.

There is only 1 thing I am undecided, from Portland to Astoria, should I should #26 or #30??

edit: All pack up ready to go now! See you on the road.
( Last edited by Apple_John; Aug 14, 2005 at 07:14 AM. )

Apple_John  (op)
Forum Regular
Aug 17, 2005, 12:58 AM

well, we had a great trip in Portland. But the car broke down in Seattle Premium Outlets after all the shopping... after 3 hours of waiting, just towed back to hotel in LA QUINTA SEATTLE LYNNWOOD. Wish me luck fixing it tonight... Now, where can I find the tools in the hotel...

ps. today is the day of her b-day...

Kenneth
Addicted to MacNN
Aug 17, 2005, 02:00 AM

ocuh... sorry to hear that.. any help from the hotel frontdesk?

Apple_John  (op)
Forum Regular
Aug 17, 2005, 02:35 AM

The girl at the frontdesk speak very little English... she though I want to screw her when I asked her for a screwdriver.

It is a small problem, the shifter stuck in P. I fix and maintain my truck 90% of the time, but without tools and manual and never face this problem before, I think I have to tow it all the way back to Canada... I will google it more...

goMac
Posting Junkie
Aug 17, 2005, 02:43 AM

well, we had a great trip in Portland. But the car broke down in Seattle Premium Outlets after all the shopping... after 3 hours of waiting, just towed back to hotel in LA QUINTA SEATTLE LYNNWOOD. Wish me luck fixing it tonight... Now, where can I find the tools in the hotel...

ps. today is the day of her b-day...
Hey, only a 10-20 miles from me. Lynnwood is five minutes from my parents house where I'm at. I know exactly the hotel you're staying at. I don't know much in the way of car places in Lynnwood, I'm assuming there will be a few car places over on Aurora. I think you're in the same area as a car body place, but that's not much of a help. Is your hotel right near the Boca de Bepo? The mental picture in my head is it's right next to I-5, but those few blocks have changed a lot in the last few years.
Once you wanted revolution, now you're the institution, how's it feel to be the man?

Apple_John  (op)
Forum Regular
Aug 17, 2005, 03:13 AM

LA QUINTA SEATTLE LYNNWOOD
4300 ALDERWOOD MALL BLVD
LYNNWOOD, WA 98036
ROOM 510

It is a long day... the only "tools" I have is google and iBook... I will make a decision next moring... Man, I miss the Beer from Portland. I need a beer NOW.

The good thing is we finished 99% of outlet shopping (and I drank tons of beer), but I do not go to the Apple Store yet (uvillage), and the REI flagship.

goMac
Posting Junkie
Aug 17, 2005, 03:35 AM

LA QUINTA SEATTLE LYNNWOOD
4300 ALDERWOOD MALL BLVD
LYNNWOOD, WA 98036
ROOM 510

It is a long day... the only "tools" I have is google and iBook... I will make a decision next moring... Man, I miss the Beer from Portland. I need a beer NOW.

The good thing is we finished 99% of outlet shopping (and I drank tons of beer), but I do not go to the Apple Store yet (uvillage), and the REI flagship.
You're about 3 miles from the Apple Store AND REI and Alderwood Mall.

Apple_John  (op)
Forum Regular
Aug 17, 2005, 06:12 AM

YES, I fixed the problem. Using my GF nail kit, a paper clip, and some duct tape. The truck is back on road. Driving back to Canada by itself. But it is only temp fix, we are heading back to Victoria directly. We will visit Seattle next time... I will post some pictures later.

thunderous_funker
Addicted to MacNN
Aug 17, 2005, 04:15 PM

I'm curious which places in Portland you visited (the Mark Spencer is a cool place, a buddy of mine does all their IT work) and how it all went.

Travelogue!!Travelogue!!Travelogue!!Travelogue!!Tr avelogue!!

Apple_John  (op)
Forum Regular
Aug 17, 2005, 11:29 PM

After the long drive, we are back home now.

In Portland, we visited:
Costco (!) - yes, I was looking for this , too bad it is online only, so I picked up a 1Gb CF. Can't find it in Canada
Sat market & Chinatown area
Lloyd Center
Higgins
Ringler's

Michael's Italian Beef & Sausage Company
Troutdale Outlet Mall
Crown Point & Multnomah Falls
Jantzen Beach
Widmer Brothers
walk around downtown area

Seattle
Fisherman's Terminal
Seattle Premium Outlets

I will post a few pictures later. Thanks guys for the wonderful suggestion.

sworthy
Mac Elite
Aug 18, 2005, 03:04 AM

It looks like you skipped Tacoma (where I went to school the last four years)... good choice

Forum Links
Forum Rules