Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > Windows on Apple?

Windows on Apple?
namannik
Senior User
Sep 30, 2002, 02:01 AM

I've read all the opinions about OS X on Intel. There seems to be a general consensus that if it ever happened, it would probably be in the form of Intel chips inside Apple's computers (as opposed to a version of OS X that would run on, say, a Dell or Gaetway machine.)

Whatever the case, does it seem plausible to anyone that Apple might, in fact, switch to Intel chips and design their computers to boot into either OS X or Windows?

In my opinion, this could be a good way to get people to switch. People might feel less aprehensive about switching to Apple if they had their Windows "security blanket." Then, if they ever wanted to switch wholeheartedly, they could just boot into OS X. People would be lured by the superior hardware, and find out later that the same goes for the software.

Please don't start a flame war or anything of the sort, and forgive me if this has been discussed. I just want to hear people's opinions on this specific aspect of OS X on Intel.

thePurpleGiant
Mac Elite
Sep 30, 2002, 02:41 AM

No, I don't think Apple would like the idea. Personally, I'd find it quite useful.

The flaw with this idea IMHO is that there would be people that buy Apple Hardware simply because it looks cool and then run Windows only on it.

What's the problem with this you say? Apple makes money off hardware!

Well, not only is Apple a hardware company, first and foremost they are an *image* company. They like making machines that look great, run an OS that looks great, with peripherals that look great. If users start mix and matching Apple hardware (with x86 chips), suddenly owning a Mac doesn't have the same "image", one less thing that Apple then has to offer.

Jeremy

Sven G
Professional Poster
Sep 30, 2002, 04:35 AM

A more practical option - at least for the time being - could be to bundle a basic version of Connectix Virtual PC (and also of "native" X Windows, for that matter) with all new Macs, in order to favor a seamless transition and coexistence of OSes (or am I missing something, here?); the proposal for a "rootless", XDarwin-like implementation of VPC discussed in another thread also looked cool, IMHO...

The freedom of all is essential to my freedom. - Mikhail Bakunin

El Pre$idente
Banned
Sep 30, 2002, 04:40 AM

The on board ROM of an x86 Mac would prohibit the booting of any OS but OSX. Of course, VPC running on OSX would run without CPU emulation which would make the transition from Windows to Mac much easier without the need for a dual boot system.

olePigeon
Clinically Insane
Sep 30, 2002, 04:56 AM

Originally posted by Sven G:
A more practical option - at least for the time being - could be to bundle a basic version of Connectix Virtual PC...
I think that's an excellent idea. Or at least include it free with a mail-in rebate.
"…I contend that we are both atheists. I just believe in one fewer god than
you do. When you understand why you dismiss all the other possible gods,
you will understand why I dismiss yours." - Stephen F. Roberts

Xaositect
Mac Enthusiast
Sep 30, 2002, 12:45 PM

Sounds good, but history has proven it to be bad. IBM's OS/2 ran Win3.1 better than Dos/Win3.1, but that ended up being one of the nails it it's coffin (why write an OS/2 app if it can run win apps so well).

I wouldn't mind an "official" Apple xwindow server, but don't really care as they are available free, and any who want them know where to get them.

MacGorilla
Addicted to MacNN
Sep 30, 2002, 01:22 PM

Egads, not this AGAIN!
Power Macintosh Dual G4
SGI Indigo2 6.5.21f

Forum Links
Forum Rules