Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Desktops > I just got my Powermac!!!!

I just got my Powermac!!!!
businezguy
Mac Enthusiast
Aug 24, 2002, 11:57 PM

Well, I just purchased my new Powermac. I got the dual gig with the 17 inch studio display. I'm actually quite happy that I got the 17 inch rather than opting for the 22 inch. Even the 17 inch seems quite large to me. There is a lot of area to cover.

These screens are BRIGHT!

By the way, the speed of this machine is quite awesome. With all of the complaining about speed in the forums, I had lowered my expectations. I was expecting to the GUI interface to be quite sluggish, but I have found it to be anything but sluggish.

I've only been using the machine for about half an hour, but I am really quite impressed by it. It is an absolutely beautiful machine and I believe it will meet my every need (except gaming).

RobbR
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Aug 25, 2002, 01:20 PM

Originally posted by businezguy:
Well, I just purchased my new Powermac. I got the dual gig with the 17 inch studio display. I'm actually quite happy that I got the 17 inch rather than opting for the 22 inch. Even the 17 inch seems quite large to me. There is a lot of area to cover.

These screens are BRIGHT!

By the way, the speed of this machine is quite awesome. With all of the complaining about speed in the forums, I had lowered my expectations. I was expecting to the GUI interface to be quite sluggish, but I have found it to be anything but sluggish.

I've only been using the machine for about half an hour, but I am really quite impressed by it. It is an absolutely beautiful machine and I believe it will meet my every need (except gaming).

Your post has been read many times, but no one seems to want to congratulate you on your new Power Mac dual gig + 17" Apple Display. So I thought I would do so. Congrats!

I have the 867 (QuickSilver) and 22" Cinema Display, and was thinking about upgrading to at least the dual 867. But alas, I wanted to wait for Jaguar (which I now have...and is really amazing!) to see if there was a speed increase. I do believe there is a marginal increase in speed, so I'm happy as things are right now. I will however upgrade to the next Power Mac when they do come out. I figure, Apple can only improve upon the latest and greatest Power Macs, so that's when I'll hop on one.

Let me say, if you are impressed by the 17" Apple Display, you would be blown away with the 22" or 23" displays. I have never been happier with my 22" Cinema Disp. But 17" is still great, especially when talking about Apple's displays.

Well, have fun (and best of luck) with your new system!

...Bob

*Takin' it to the limit*

businezguy  (op)
Mac Enthusiast
Aug 25, 2002, 02:10 PM

Yeah, I see a lot of folks read my post.

I was considering the 22 incher, but I just found it to be too expensive. When (and if) it comes down in price, I will be more interested. Fortunately, I am not disappointed with my studio display which, when you have it sitting in front of you, is quite a large dispay at that. I'm very impressed.

Again, I can't emphasize enough how fast this computer is.

rambo47
Mac Elite
Aug 25, 2002, 02:28 PM

Congrats! Awesome machine, and a darn fine screen, too! You got the "mirror doors" model, yes? I have the previous version of the dual-gig and the thing practically flies off my table. I upgraded from a single processor 500 MHz G4 (actually a modified B&W that started life as a G3) so it really blew my socks off.

Apple displays might not be the cheapest displays out there, but they're definitely among the nicest. My friend (a Dell user, ugh!) is looking into running the 17" Apple LCD with an adapter on his pc.

Superchicken
Addicted to MacNN
Aug 25, 2002, 03:20 PM

poor 17 inch LCD... hooked up to a Dell... someone should hurt that guy for even THINKING of tainting such a beautiful display!

JB72
Mac Elite
Aug 26, 2002, 12:20 AM

I got my new dual gig dual optical a couple days ago with a GeForce4 Ti Man that blue mobo is sweet looking . I also got a 17" lcd, it actually arrived before my Mac. It's my first Apple LCD and all I can say is wow! I've used these before, but actually unpacking one, owning one, is something special. It provokes a real "pride of ownership" type of feeling. And it does feel very big. I'm still undecided as to whether I will eventually add another 15" or 17", or sell it and get a 23" cine (I do video editing.) However, this 17" is more than enough for now. Bright, clean, and great colors. I can't wait to max this machine out with some IDE RAIDs and, 2 gigs mem, and other random treats.

DJG3
Aug 26, 2002, 04:34 AM

Just finished setting up my new dual gig too! PIcked it up at the apple store in Palo Alto last night with the edu discount (and got the powermate there too for 5 bucks less than their site is selling it),. Cool they let u do that edu purchase in the store since I couldnt wait to start using it. Didnt want to wait for a BTO so ill be adding another gig of ram for now, another 80GB seagate barracuda IV hd, adc to vga adapter to run my dual sony 19"ers for now, and some other stuff. Can't spend all my cash yet since I've gotta pay for all my books this fall, hehe. Eventually im gonna replace the radeon in here with something else, maybe the 9700 and get another card for the second display. Anyways...for now its time to copy all my files over and start burnin some dvd's!
~DJG3

olePigeon
Clinically Insane
Aug 26, 2002, 05:51 AM

Originally posted by DJG3:
Just finished setting up my new dual gig too! PIcked it up at the apple store in Palo Alto last night with the edu discount (and got the powermate there too for 5 bucks less than their site is selling it),.
Whoa! Wait a minute. I called the Valley Fair Apple Store and I was told that I can't buy items with my Education discount, that I had to go through the Apple Store website...

Did you buy it and just pick it up at the store? Or what happened?
"…I contend that we are both atheists. I just believe in one fewer god than
you do. When you understand why you dismiss all the other possible gods,
you will understand why I dismiss yours." - Stephen F. Roberts

BrunoBruin
Mac Elite
Aug 26, 2002, 08:26 AM

Whoa! Wait a minute. I called the Valley Fair Apple Store and I was told that I can't buy items with my Education discount, that I had to go through the Apple Store website...
Unless they've changed their policy, you got hold of someone who doesn't know what they're talking about. I bought my PowerBook in May from an Apple Store and they have a nice form that you fill out, and you show your institutional ID, and off you go.

I believe that only applies to HARDWARE, however, not software, so that may be where the confusion set in.

businezguy  (op)
Mac Enthusiast
Aug 26, 2002, 03:40 PM

Yeah, they asked is I was a student also, so they were going to give me the student discount if I was one. So, you were misinformed at the store you went to. I made my purchase only about 3 days ago so this is still most likely the policy of the store.

ReggieX
Professional Poster
Aug 26, 2002, 04:36 PM

Don't forget you can always add another display instead of forking over for the 22".

Dang, I'll be stuck with my G4/400 for quite some time!
The Lord said 'Peter, I can see your house from here.'

businezguy  (op)
Mac Enthusiast
Aug 26, 2002, 08:17 PM

Man, personally, I am totally satisfied with the 17 inch, especially considering how large the display area is. It is much bigger than the Imac's screen for whatever reason.

sunrunnerfire
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Aug 27, 2002, 08:11 AM

Congratulations on your purchase. Im personally stuck in the hampster wheel of ever-increasing monitor sizes. Just purchased a 22" CRT and still looking for more space....oh well.
...Playing the worlds most dangerous
game of hide and seek.
Check out www.intel-ops.com, you
wont be disappointed.

CheesePuff
Professional Poster
Aug 27, 2002, 10:07 AM

Originally posted by businezguy:
Man, personally, I am totally satisfied with the 17 inch, especially considering how large the display area is. It is much bigger than the Imac's screen for whatever reason.
Because the iMacs resolution is 1024x768 and your new 17" is 1280x1024.

businezguy  (op)
Mac Enthusiast
Aug 29, 2002, 07:54 PM

Cheese--

I meant compared the the 17 inch Imac which has a resolution of 1440 x 900.

Forum Links
Forum Rules