Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Enthusiast Zone > Networking > Sharing FileMaker file via Airport

Sharing FileMaker file via Airport
philipmarch
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Sep 20, 2002, 04:21 PM

I am trying to share FileMaker files on a host that is plugged into a hub. Another computer that is on the network via AIrport (gray base station plugged into hub) is able to share files both ways etc., but has had a hard time consistently seeing the hosted FM files.
-the airport signal strength is high
-both FM apps on each machine is set to TCP/IP
-both machines are on the same subnet

I suspect the port mapping options in the Airport settings could solve this, but I can't figure out what port FileMaker uses...

Any help?

Camelot
Mac Elite
Sep 21, 2002, 04:00 PM

It took me less than a minute to find that FileMaker users port 5003

However, if your machines are on the same network, your base station should be configured for bridging mode, not NAT, meaning you don't need to specify port mapping at all.
Gods don't kill people - people with Gods kill people.

philipmarch  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Sep 22, 2002, 02:03 PM

Wow. I am very impressed. Did you also find out that FileMaker uses UDP for locating hosts and that Airport doesn't map UDP? It took me an agonizingly slow 5 minutes to find that out. And yes, my Airport is set up to bridge.

Thanks for your help, but no thanks for your attitude.

Camelot
Mac Elite
Sep 22, 2002, 04:27 PM

Originally posted by philipmarch:
Wow. I am very impressed. Did you also find out that FileMaker uses UDP for locating hosts
Yes, that was also discussed in the tech note I linked to.

and that Airport doesn't map UDP? It took me an agonizingly slow 5 minutes to find that out. And yes, my Airport is set up to bridge.

If your airport is setup to bridge, then port mapping shouldn't be an issue since there's no network translation involved.

In any case, AFAIK, Filemaker only uses UDP to scan the network, meaning that if UDP is getting blocked somehow, the Filemaker server won't appear in the available servers list. However, you should still be able to specify a host to connect to and manually enter the IP address of the server.
Gods don't kill people - people with Gods kill people.

Forum Links
Forum Rules