Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > WallStreet 292MHz 13.3" screen

WallStreet 292MHz 13.3" screen
rambo47
Mac Elite
Nov 4, 2000, 02:00 AM

I'm having intermittent problems with the 13.3" screen on my PowerBook. I recall reading about internal ribbon cable defects on many of the first generation WallStreets with this screen. I'm way past warranty or AppleCare. Will Apple fix this problem as a defect, charging me only for shipping, or will they demand my son as payment? Quite a quandry, as I've grown fond of the little guy. Is this something I could fix myself? I've been inside my PowerBook a number of times and have no qualms about digging deeper. I have ruled out my favorite Wintel repair method of "percussive maintanance" as this I reserve for the Sony Vaio they foisted upon me at work.

On a related topic, on a sunny day I can see my first Sony laptop in the water from my deck. Right where I flung it. "Illegal Operation" my ass.

------------------
-bo47

"There is no spoon."

Richard Pinneau
Mac Enthusiast
Nov 4, 2000, 08:41 AM

I, too, have been limping along for two years, squeezing my Wallstreet's display this way and that to get it normalized. I had the tech at local apple repair look at it when he was putting in new sound card, and he said the hoped-for easy fix was not there: would mean a new screen (~$1000 or your first-born).
So, since the hinges were going too, i opted to spend the money on a half of a Pismo... gotta love hot swappability!
Pismo 400 192M Sys 9.1

uberden
Forum Regular
Nov 4, 2000, 04:05 PM

Apple is covering this under an unannounced (?) REA program. Call Apple or have your local AASP contact them regarding the repair. Be sure that Apple is informed that it is the 13.3 PB display issue. According to the discussion boards on Apples web site, many users have had the video cables replaced more than once, free of charge. However, some have also paid for the repair because their AASP didn't tell Apple that is was specifically for the display issue. Good luck.

Don Pickett
Professional Poster
Nov 4, 2000, 07:37 PM

On a related topic, on a sunny day I can see my first Sony laptop in the water from my deck. Right where I flung it. "Illegal Operation" my ass.
Is this one of the silver ones? Must look nice refracted through the water.

Reminds me of a story from college. I was in a beginning C class (which I soon dropped; curiosity be damned - this class was work and there was beer to be drunk) in which the professor had to Mac Plusses hooked together and to a projector. He would load the page he wanted on one Mac and send it through the projector while the other one loaded. Suddenly the projector went black. The professor bent down low over one of the Macs, sniffed, straightened and said to us, "well, that one's gone."

He then unplugged all the leads, hoisted the thing, and proceeded to walk over to the emergency exit, about five or six stories above a hard concrete landing, to chuck the offending Mac into oblivion. He was only stopped when people in the class started offering him money for the parts in the box. He sold it to one of the students. Too bad he didn't do it: a gravity test once and a while is a good thing.

Don
The era of anthropomorphizing hardware is over.

rambo47  (op)
Mac Elite
Nov 4, 2000, 09:35 PM

I couldn't agree more about the gravity test! Not once has it ever fixed a delicate piece of electronic equipment, but by the same token not once has it ever failed to raise my spirits. The offending Sony Vaio is actually bluish-grey, but the water is clear and shallow. Makes me feel all warm and fuzzy inside just knowing it will be spending it's second winter there.

------------------
-bo47

"There is no spoon."

Don Pickett
Professional Poster
Nov 4, 2000, 11:59 PM

Yup - pure enjoyment, through and through. Later on that year I saw a group of very drunk fraternity boys gravity test everything in their room - microwave, stereo, furniture - to the roars of an assembled crowd. I remember thinking, "wow, this is great," and, "boy I'm glad that isn't my stuff."

Don
The era of anthropomorphizing hardware is over.

Richard Pinneau
Mac Enthusiast
Nov 7, 2000, 07:06 AM

I appreciate the lead on the "unannounced (?) REA program"
Since I don't have a Sony to frisbee into the pool, I'm gonna saunter over to my AASP and see if I can't sweet talk a new 13.3 screen.
Your prayers appreciated
�RP
Pismo 400 192M Sys 9.1

Richard Pinneau
Mac Enthusiast
Nov 7, 2000, 01:42 PM

AASP was rather clueless. Took them a while even to figure out which 800 to call (800-767-2775 - cust rel).
The guy there was a little evasive until he was pretty sure that my problem was the right "issue with 13.3 PB display". But then, after checking with supervisor he said that Apple WOULD replace the data cable to screen for free with improved one (although telling me that if that did NOT prove to be the prob, I'd have to approve paying for any other work).
If this "identified issue" IS the fix I'll be out only the $49 for the service call - as they are sending me the prepaid box to send back PB.
So, mostly it's sounding like I'm getting pretty good treatment. (fingers crossed).
Apple even has a web site where I can track the progress of receipt / repair / return. I'll post how it goes in actuality.
�RP
Pismo 400 192M Sys 9.1

spam
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Sep 30, 2002, 08:09 PM

I turns out that it's not too hard to fix the problem yourself. I got really frustrated trying to deal with Apple about mine, so I took the think apart. Remove the rubber "bumpers" at the top of the display and the little flat black covers at the bottom to reveal the four screws holding the display together. When you remove the back of the display, you'll see the ribbon cable on the left side (facing the machine). I put three thin strips of double-sided tape together to make a pad to hold the cable firmly in place and screwed the case back together. I haven't had to squeeze the display since.

I took some pictures of my fix while I had the display apart. If you still need help I could post them.

Originally posted by rambo47:
I'm having intermittent problems with the 13.3" screen on my PowerBook. I recall reading about internal ribbon cable defects on many of the first generation WallStreets with this screen. I'm way past warranty or AppleCare. Will Apple fix this problem as a defect, charging me only for shipping, or will they demand my son as payment? Quite a quandry, as I've grown fond of the little guy. Is this something I could fix myself? I've been inside my PowerBook a number of times and have no qualms about digging deeper. I have ruled out my favorite Wintel repair method of "percussive maintanance" as this I reserve for the Sony Vaio they foisted upon me at work.

------------------
-bo47

"There is no spoon."

Forum Links
Forum Rules