Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Desktops > iMac Intel and Design App's

iMac Intel and Design App's
flashboy
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Apr 24, 2006, 02:01 PM

Hi, I have a 400mhz blue iMac from 2001 with 768 Ram 40gig HD and run OSX.

I am a Graphic Designer so I do some design work at home, but primarily use my iMac for my Digital Photos, Web, Music.. basics. I was on OS 9.2 up until this past summer when I upgraded, and my design apps(Photoshop/Illustrator/Indesign) in OSX are slow to say the least. So I do NEED a new computer.

I am researching and am thinking about the Intel iMac 20" again mainly for iPhoto, Itunes, and web and for watching movies because my current comp doesn't have a DVD player.

Design is done mostly at the office, because I have a G5 with 4gigs ram so bulk of work is done there. But I will be doing some work from home for personal and 'work work' which I need to do late at night and on weekends. Taking my current system into mind:

1- I know the Intel macs don't fully support Adobe design apps, but how slow will they be under emulation? 50% slower? 80% slower? I imagine this will still be faster than my current set up.

2- Is the speed the ONLY negative factor for emulation? will the app's run correctly?

3- When the new Adobe design apps come out, I will be able to update? The apps should run faster, then right?

I am planning to buy with the notion that I will be able to upgrade the app's later. again my questions depends on my slow computer which is overdue and I really want to upgrade. so if speed is the only negative factor under emulation, well I am only moving up. any thoughts are welcome... thanks.

iREZ
Professional Poster
Apr 24, 2006, 02:21 PM

1. adobe apps are on par with a 1.67 powerbook for now, if not faster. (what are your percentages in reference to?)

2. the apps run just fine for everything i have used them for so far, id say theyre about 99% stable.

3. not only will they run faster, but MUCH faster.

if you really wanna run the cs apps natively, install bootcamp on your mac and install the pc version of the apps on that partition. apparently cs is like lightning when running natively (and so far only the pc version runs natively on the intel macs).a
NOW YOU SEE ME! 2.4 MBP and 2.0 MBP (running ubuntu)

flashboy  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Apr 24, 2006, 02:28 PM

oh I meant' under emulation how much slower are the apps running, "than they could be" because everyone says slower, slower but this is relative to what we assume they "could" be running at...

sorry confusing.

you answered my main questions tho, stability and the slowness of my current setup.

thank you.

iREZ
Professional Poster
Apr 24, 2006, 02:39 PM

id say theyre at about 65-75% of what they COULD be at native speeds depending on what app youre using.
NOW YOU SEE ME! 2.4 MBP and 2.0 MBP (running ubuntu)

funkboy
Professional Poster
Apr 24, 2006, 02:42 PM

There are benchmarks on macworld.com, but it's close to running at 50% under Rosetta. Differs slightly on different tests of course.

mduell
Posting Junkie
Apr 24, 2006, 03:12 PM

1) Adobe's apps will be faster under emulation on the Intel Core Duo than they are on your current G4 by a good margin; they run about half the speed compared to the native version running under Windows.

2) For the most part, yes; there may be a few features that don't work (HTML export in MS Word comes to mind), but the vast majority will.

3) Yes, when CS3 is released late this year or early next year, you should qualify for upgrade pricing instead of having to buy the whole thing again.

Forum Links
Forum Rules