Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Consumer Hardware & Components > Software for Sony Minidisk?

Software for Sony Minidisk?
Shediac
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Mar 16, 2002, 07:57 PM

Hello,

Does anyone know if there is any software that I could use to download songs from my harddrive to a Sony Minidisk? The minidisk is USB and I am using a 500mz Imac. Thanks for any ideas.

Diggory Laycock
Professional Poster
Mar 16, 2002, 08:34 PM

http://home.sprintmail.com/~dalegreer/MacMD.html

Unfortunately it seems that you can't transfer mp3 "files" to the MD - but you can transfer the audio - in real time (i.e. slowly) & analogue (unless you get an optical audio i/o USB thang)

[ 03-16-2002: Message edited by: Diggory Laycock ]

taffy
Mar 16, 2002, 09:19 PM

there is no way to 'download' your music to a minidisc recorder. it's definitely a marketing scheme that sony used to compete with mp3 players which actually downloads the music onto the machine.

The usb link that sony sells is only a usb-audio converter.. which isn't too bad cause other options for transfering audio thru usb sucks (roland ua-30 rocks, but too expensive, and imic or whatchooma call it just simply blows). So bascially recording audio onto the minidisc using the sony md link is the same thing as manually recording onto the md using any kind of audio input.

-ck

Simon201
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Mar 17, 2002, 01:13 AM

Yes, the only way at present it seems to transfer audio files or Mp3's to minidisk is by recording in real time. However you can do it digitally. I simply burn my Mp3's onto an audio cd and then put the CD into a stand alone CD player that has a optical output, and record into the optical input of my minidisk recorder.

[ 03-17-2002: Message edited by: Simon201 ]

<Unregistered>
Mar 17, 2002, 01:36 AM

The new Minidisc portables that Sony just released, the NetMD models, only includes PC software that will allow you to download mp3 files to your minidisc. For the moment, no Mac software is planned.

You will transfer your music in 32x in LP4 mode, 16x in LP2 mode.

Forum Links
Forum Rules