Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Desktops > Mac Pro warranty

Mac Pro warranty
garyton
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Sep 28, 2006, 10:10 PM

I am getting ready to purchase a new Mac Pro for my wife and a friend has suggested that I have a student that we know purchase it for me to get a student discount.
My concern is about the warranty and whose name the computer would be under with apple. My friend told me to just go into the apple store with our student friend and order the computer with him and I pay apple for it. He said I would register the computer online so the name does not mattter. Would the sales person in the apple store give us a problem if we do that?
gary


Sep 28, 2006, 10:14 PM

There should be no problem at all if you register it yourself. The sales person most likely won't even know about it.
-

porieux
Baninated
Sep 29, 2006, 12:02 AM

( Last edited by porieux; Oct 2, 2006 at 01:17 AM. )

garyton  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Sep 29, 2006, 11:10 AM

If you walk into an apple store, don't they register it right then when you pay for it? Is the name on the credit card payment linked to the registration in their records of the computer?
I am hesitant to order it on line as I have read of some people who have had problems with thier Mac Pro's right when they got them. I figure if I buy it in the store, then they will be more helpful if I show up with it broken having bought it from them as opposed to having bought it on line?
AmI not correct in that assumption?

Big Mac
Clinically Insane
Sep 29, 2006, 11:21 AM

No, they don't register it in store - it's still registered online - but I can understand the original poster's concern. If you're not a student you're not supposed to get a discount, obviously. On the other hand, you can probably still go to the Apple Store online and get a normal student discount that way. Apple seemingly doesn't verify student status when purchasing online.

"The natural progress of things is for liberty to yield and government to gain ground." TJ

Oversoul
Senior User
Sep 29, 2006, 11:39 AM

I echo what Big Mac said. The Apple Store online doesn't seem to verify enrollment status at all. I've bought several computers from Apple while a student and not once have they ever call me up or, to my knowledge, call my schools up to check whether I'm enrolled.

On the other hand, if you make a student purchase at an Apple Retail Store, they will ask for a student ID and driver's license. There should be no problem, however, if you pay for your student friend's purchase. If there are any questions, just make up some excuse like your friend doesn't have a high enough credit limit or you're buying it for him to help him out.

Registration is done at home and online. When you first start up your Mac, you're taken through the registration procedures.

dimmer
Mac Enthusiast
Sep 29, 2006, 12:34 PM

Outside of the fact that you are breaking the law, go for it. If you have a large friend who recently lost a lot of weight, you may be able to just go to the store, shove a Mac Pro down his (or her) keks and run out. It saves you even more!

Abuse of the student/educator purchase program is the fastest way to get the program closed down. If you wouldn't feel ok with simple shoplifting, you shouldn't feel good about this. And don't get me started on how your folks handle your taxes.


Sep 29, 2006, 03:04 PM

Originally Posted by dimmer
Outside of the fact that you are breaking the law, go for it. If you have a large friend who recently lost a lot of weight, you may be able to just go to the store, shove a Mac Pro down his (or her) keks and run out. It saves you even more!

Abuse of the student/educator purchase program is the fastest way to get the program closed down. If you wouldn't feel ok with simple shoplifting, you shouldn't feel good about this. And don't get me started on how your folks handle your taxes.
Think of it like this: the student buys it for you, then you trade however much it costs for the Mac. Nothing bad happens, it is a fair trade. It is basically like buying one and selling one right away, nobody cares, and Apple gets money for it.
-

Oversoul
Senior User
Sep 29, 2006, 04:04 PM

If you have a large friend who recently lost a lot of weight, you may be able to just go to the store, shove a Mac Pro down his (or her) keks and run out.
Now that's just silly. They keep the Mac Pro boxes in the back, and have you seen the size of the Mac Pro box?

Kidding aside, I seriously doubt the occasional educational purchase of a Mac for someone else is going to shut the program down. First, this is how Apple's been running the program for at least, to my knowledge, 6-7 years. Second, the educational market is too valuable for Apple to not offer some incentive to students and educators to buy Mac. And lastly, really, what can Apple do to monitor sales of Macs to students or educators who buy for or turn around and sell to someone else?

garyton  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Sep 29, 2006, 06:22 PM

I am sorry I even bought it up. I had no idea that this would set off anyones hot button.
Forget I even mentioned it. Let's pretend no one does this or would ever do it and everyone can be happy again.

dimmer
Mac Enthusiast
Sep 29, 2006, 07:01 PM

and have you seen the size of the Mac Pro box?
Hey, you've not seen the size of my fat pals keks, you could fit a freezer in there and he wouldn't notice.

Yeah, I went off a little hard there, but the underlying issue still exists: Apple doesn't have to give students and educators a break, they choose to do so. They don't spent time and effort tracking down those who abuse (they also don't prosecute shoplifters from the stores: it's insured, why go to the hassle). By manipulating the system to save yourself a few bucks, you do put having good hardware and cheap software out of the reach of the poor schmucks who will be paying our medicare and medicade bills when we are old and crap and they are middle aged/middle management wage earners.

If you want to pull this off, enroll at a local adult education college and learn a little as you go. If time is money, maybe it's time to make your oh wait that metaphor is dying on the vine isn't it?

porieux
Baninated
Sep 29, 2006, 07:02 PM

( Last edited by porieux; Oct 2, 2006 at 01:17 AM. )

dimmer
Mac Enthusiast
Sep 29, 2006, 07:04 PM

Think of it like this: the student buys it for you, then you trade however much it costs for the Mac. Nothing bad happens, it is a fair trade. It is basically like buying one and selling one right away, nobody cares, and Apple gets money for it.
Nope, the Apple program does not allow resale for three years after purchase. Sure, you can "gift" it like you are paying a hooer, but you are just skirting the law. And a hooer would probably be more fun.

dimmer
Mac Enthusiast
Sep 29, 2006, 07:10 PM

If they don't like it they can make the verification process more thorough
That's why your car has speed limiters that run from the IR signals from the speed signs! That's why you are in jail now because you looked the wrong way at that crossing guard when you were 12! Of COURSE we should punish the innocent to keep the guilty in line!

Most people are honest. A few are not. If this simple truth did not apply, you wouldn't have a single high-street store--hell, you wouldn't have a high street as some gumba would have ripped up the tarmac to make fillings.

The point of law is simply to tell you what the law is. You break it, you gamble that you won't get caught. You still broke the damn law. Enforcement of law is a police state. You want that? You want to show me the CD's your iPod got it's tunes from?

"If they don't like it" is pointless: if they allow it, and you abuse it, and they close it, you'll whine like little girls. Forgetting all the time it was your cause, their effect.

porieux
Baninated
Sep 29, 2006, 07:24 PM

( Last edited by porieux; Oct 2, 2006 at 01:18 AM. )

dimmer
Mac Enthusiast
Sep 29, 2006, 08:01 PM

My employer pays for any equipment I need so your comments don't apply to me.
Ah, so as I have a company car I can disobey speed laws, drive ratassed, and it's all fine. After all, they -enabled- me. Maybe before you lodged "Dichotomous Thinking" up your bum you might have done basic ethics, morality--those old tired saws?

(That said, I love any discussion where someone bring up Dichotomous Thinking. I'll will you my Diogenes collection you thinky stud muffin.)


Sep 29, 2006, 10:52 PM

Nope, the Apple program does not allow resale for three years after purchase. Sure, you can "gift" it like you are paying a hooer, but you are just skirting the law. And a hooer would probably be more fun.
Guess they better sue anyone who buys Macs off of eBay then
-

dimmer
Mac Enthusiast
Sep 29, 2006, 10:57 PM

Guess they better sue anyone who buys Macs off of eBay then
Why? If I Joe Blow buy a Mac I can resell it as I please. But if I claim to be a stoodent or a teatcher and demand a rebate from Apple I enter a contract whereby I state I will not resell this hardware for three years. It's SO NOT rocket science.

As I've said before, but you make me say it again, you are free to break the law. But when bubba is 9 inches up your ass after, don't come crying to me for clemency. OK numb nuts?

milhous
Mac Elite
Sep 29, 2006, 11:08 PM

Originally Posted by Oversoul
I echo what Big Mac said. The Apple Store online doesn't seem to verify enrollment status at all. I've bought several computers from Apple while a student and not once have they ever call me up or, to my knowledge, call my schools up to check whether I'm enrolled.

On the other hand, if you make a student purchase at an Apple Retail Store, they will ask for a student ID and driver's license. There should be no problem, however, if you pay for your student friend's purchase. If there are any questions, just make up some excuse like your friend doesn't have a high enough credit limit or you're buying it for him to help him out.

Registration is done at home and online. When you first start up your Mac, you're taken through the registration procedures.
it's true, it's mostly on the honor system because it would be a waste of time and money for a computer company to do such things, HOWEVER you would be asked for credentials if you were going to use a student developer discount.

but most importantly, if they ever decided to do a random sample audit, which i'm sure they do, and if they found out that someone who ordered a discounted system wasn't entitled to that discount, than apple does have the legal right to charge you for the difference between the original price and the discount price, be it through a credit card or bill. this would be more applicable to online orders i would imagine.

luckily, taking some classes at community college now lets me get the educational discounts again.
F = ma

porieux
Baninated
Sep 29, 2006, 11:13 PM

porieux
Baninated
Sep 29, 2006, 11:16 PM

dimmer
Mac Enthusiast
Sep 29, 2006, 11:22 PM

And pottymouth is gone in three two one... !poof!

Oversoul
Senior User
Sep 30, 2006, 12:29 AM

Why? If I Joe Blow buy a Mac I can resell it as I please. But if I claim to be a stoodent or a teatcher and demand a rebate from Apple I enter a contract whereby I state I will not resell this hardware for three years. It's SO NOT rocket science.

As I've said before, but you make me say it again, you are free to break the law. But when bubba is 9 inches up your ass after, don't come crying to me for clemency. OK numb nuts?
This thread cannot die soon enough, but before it does I have to clarify something dimmer seems to not understand. Dimmer speaks about law and legality, but fails to distinguish between civil and criminal law. And indeed, a lot of dimmer's posts are false analogies and unfounded insinuations about the propriety of our own finances.

Back to the topic: Ultimately, the purported educational buyer is entering into an agreement/contract with Apple. If you misrepresent yourself, you're potentially subject to civil penalties. So, in fact, dimmer, Apple had "better sue anyone who buys Macs off of eBay." But in all practicality, they won't. It's just not feasible.

dimmer
Mac Enthusiast
Sep 30, 2006, 01:47 PM

And indeed, a lot of dimmer's posts are false analogies and unfounded insinuations about the propriety of our own finances.
They are also funny, entertaining and based on that tricky topic of "fact". Love those examples too funny-man!

So, in fact, dimmer, Apple had "better sue anyone who buys Macs off of eBay." But in all practicality, they won't.
"In fact" is your opinion? That's 'fact' these days? I explained why Apple doesn't act against those who abuse the educational purchase program, I explained why that has nothing to do with eBay. I think someone needs to go back and give his Garth Brooks CD collection a big ol' hug.

Ah, the joys of a battle of wits with a limbless opponent.

BTW numbnuts, ethics and morality work at a level above "criminal" and "civil" law: what Rush Limbaugh did in the Dominican Republic is wrong, even if the local laws say it's fine. Now, get back to running your new "exemptions" through TurboTax and I'll whip your ass in fisticuffs in hell.

brokenjago
Mac Elite
Sep 30, 2006, 07:13 PM

People who degenerate to insulting others when they encounter disagreement make me laugh, and make me sad.

It's not that big of a deal. Even if they insulted you first, why bring yourself down to that level? It's unbecoming and lowers most peoples' respect for you immensely.

This picture comes to mind:

Linkinus is king.

dimmer
Mac Enthusiast
Oct 1, 2006, 03:31 PM

Hey, if you only knew how long I've been wanting to tell someone to hug their Garth Brooks CD collection a hug you'd -understand- me man!

Forum Links
Forum Rules