Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > Political/War Lounge > Pol Lounge General News Thread of "This doesn't deserve it's own thread"

Pol Lounge General News Thread of "This doesn't deserve it's own thread" (Page 48)
The Final Dakar  (op)
Games Meister
Sep 13, 2018, 10:06 PM

https://twitter.com/NBCNews/status/1040229427102314496
BREAKING: Pres. Trump rejects independent study that reports an estimated 2,975 people died in Puerto Rico in 5 months after Hurricane Maria; provides no evidence to discount the study; declares, without evidence, that the higher death toll is political ploy to make him look bad.
Now that's how its done.

Thorzdad
Sep 14, 2018, 07:12 PM

Just days before Florence hit, close to $10,000,000 was transferred from FEMA over to ICE. Other departments experienced similar transfers to ICE.

andi*pandi
Sep 17, 2018, 01:07 PM

I guess they will find the money for that wall somewhere. Also Betsy Devos' concentration camps cost $700/night per kid, so we need to pay her for that.

Waragainstsleep
Posting Junkie
Sep 18, 2018, 06:14 AM

How is Trump dealing with Florence and her aftermath thus far? I would have expected him to embrace the chance of a distraction but I'm not seeing much. If he screws the pooch isn't he risking a lot of votes in red states or are they just that safe?
I have plenty of more important things to do, if only I could bring myself to do them....

Thorzdad
Sep 19, 2018, 10:15 AM

This kind of flew in under the radar...
SCOTUS lifts stay of lower court dark money decision.

The Final Dakar  (op)
Games Meister
Sep 19, 2018, 02:42 PM

Reaction from the groups has been embarrassing. "This could have a chilling effect on donations"

Thorzdad
Sep 19, 2018, 02:43 PM

The same way turning on the light makes the cockroaches run away? Chilling.

The Final Dakar  (op)
Games Meister
Sep 19, 2018, 05:54 PM

It's even better because they make it sound like it destabilizes the election:
In an interview, FEC Chairwoman Caroline Hunter said that the names of certain contributors who give money to nonprofit groups to use in political campaigns beginning Wednesday will have to be publicly reported.

Hunter and other conservatives warned the decision could have a chilling effect just as the midterms are heating up.

“It’s unfortunate that citizens and groups who wish to advocate for their candidate will now have to deal with a lot of uncertainty less than two months before the election,” said Hunter, a Republican appointee.
Conservatives said the decision to throw out the FEC rule raises First Amendment concerns about donor privacy.
Excuse me, but if you donate to candidates your name is publicly available. Donor privacy for whom?

reader50
Administrator
Oct 13, 2018, 03:46 PM

One week ago, two Republican campaign workers in Arizona visited the campaign office of a Democrat. They gave false names, and tried to make a donation from a supposed local Communist Party.
On Friday afternoon in Flagstaff, two men who called themselves Jose Rosales and Ahmahd Sadia walked into the campaign office of first-term Democrat Tom O’Halleran, with $39.68 and an urgent desire for the “Northern Arizona University Communist party” to be given a receipt for the donation.
Making campaign donations under false names is a crime. When O’Halleran's guy went to local Republican headquarters to return the money, one of the fakers promptly came out to accept the return. O’Halleran's Republican opponent denied any involvement.
In a statement sent to the Guardian on Thursday morning, a spokesman for O’Halleran’s Republican opponent, Wendy Rogers, said: “This is news to us. No one from our campaign was involved in this juvenile stunt."

Thorzdad
Oct 13, 2018, 06:03 PM

andi*pandi
Oct 14, 2018, 03:42 PM

I believe this is where we all say, "Republican thugs."

Chongo
Addicted to MacNN
Oct 14, 2018, 04:45 PM

Pastor Brunson prays for President Trump after returning from Turkey.

Lord God, I ask that you pour out your Holy Spirit on President Trump, that you give him supernatural wisdom to accomplish all of the plans you have for this country and for him. I ask that you give him wisdom in how to lead this country into righteousness. I ask that you give him perseverance and endurance and courage to stand for truth. I ask that you protect him: from slander, from enemies, from those who would undermine. I ask that you make him a great blessing to this country. Fill him with your wisdom and strength and perseverance. And we bless him. May he be a great blessing to our country. In Jesus’ name, we bless you. Amen.

“I want to pray that the spirit of the Lord would rest on the president, the spirit of wisdom and understanding, the spirit of counsel and might, the spirit of knowledge and fear of the Lord. Amen,” Norine Brunson prayed.
45/47

andi*pandi
Oct 14, 2018, 06:19 PM

Does every president get this blessing?

Kinda gross if not.

Waragainstsleep
Posting Junkie
Oct 15, 2018, 06:25 AM

He's asking God to give Trump wisdom. Repeatedly. Because Trump has none.
I have plenty of more important things to do, if only I could bring myself to do them....

Laminar
Posting Junkie
Location: Iowa, how long can this be? Does it really ruin the left column spacing?
Oct 15, 2018, 07:29 AM

Originally Posted by Chongo View Post
... and courage to stand for truth...]
Do you believe Trump stands for truth?

OAW
Addicted to MacNN
Oct 15, 2018, 12:59 PM

wrong thread.

Thorzdad
Oct 16, 2018, 03:41 PM

Thorzdad
Oct 19, 2018, 03:15 PM

andi*pandi
Oct 19, 2018, 03:37 PM

Well we all know how the GOP loves to blame the victim.

Appalling.

Thorzdad
Oct 22, 2018, 08:12 AM

andi*pandi
Oct 22, 2018, 10:54 AM

well, the memo was written by:
Mr. Severino, while serving as the head of the DeVos Center for Religion and Civil Society at the Heritage Foundation, was among the conservatives who blanched at the Obama administration’s expansion of sex to include gender identity, which he called “radical gender ideology.”
:/

The Final Dakar  (op)
Games Meister
Oct 22, 2018, 11:44 AM

I don't think it'd withstand legal scrutiny but it sure will **** up peoples lives for a few years

Laminar
Posting Junkie
Location: Iowa, how long can this be? Does it really ruin the left column spacing?
Oct 22, 2018, 01:07 PM

^ Literally the Trump administration's motto.

Thorzdad
Oct 22, 2018, 04:31 PM

Originally Posted by The Final Dakar View Post
I don't think it'd withstand legal scrutiny but it sure will **** up peoples lives for a few years
I hope it’ll die under scrutiny...But then I remember what SCOTUS looks like now.

The Final Dakar  (op)
Games Meister
Oct 22, 2018, 05:40 PM

Originally Posted by Thorzdad View Post
I hope it’ll die under scrutiny...But then I remember what SCOTUS looks like now.
I see this as a fringe belief undermined by science. I don't think it'd be a 5-4.

reader50
Administrator
Oct 24, 2018, 01:11 AM

In California, we have a Proposition on the ballot for the November vote. Prop 10 would give local governments the power to enact rent controls. The measure was placed on the ballot by the public, after years of soaring rents.
More than $60m has been donated for the Proposition 10 fight, with most of the money coming from landlords opposed to the measure.
So far, as expected. But wait a minute ...
Campaign finance records show entities controlled by the private equity giant Blackstone have been among the biggest sources of cash for opponents of the ballot measure. More than $5.6m has come from a Blackstone holding company and four of its investment funds.

But unlike typical corporate political donations, the Blackstone contributions didn’t come from the firm’s executives or corporate treasury. Instead, they came from pools of capital from investors, which include dozens of state and local pension systems, and public university endowments. The move has been described as the equivalent of mutual fund executives taking money out of customers’ accounts to make political contributions.
Apparently rental investment plans have wide latitude about where they can invest your money. Including giving it to political campaigns, with no financial return at all. I wonder if bribes would be a legal form of investment too.
“It is morally wrong that they are using our retirement money to fund a political campaign,” Barberini said. “It is also a slippery slope. Where does this stop? What if a money manager wants to take our retirement savings and give it to a candidate?

“Once you start taking money out of pensions to fund political campaigns, where do you draw the line?”
I recommend reading the entire article. If this stands, they've found a way to drain pension funds into political campaigns. Even campaigns the investors and pensioners oppose. Without risking a dime of their own money.

andi*pandi
Oct 24, 2018, 07:43 AM

that can't be legal?

Thorzdad
Oct 24, 2018, 04:32 PM

Wow. It’s been quite the suspicious-package-containg-a-bomb week so far, hasn’t it?

The Final Dakar  (op)
Games Meister
Oct 24, 2018, 04:55 PM

Wonder if our resident conservatives think it's a false flag.

I mean, how many of them. 3?

andi*pandi
Oct 24, 2018, 05:03 PM

well, all the conservatives on facebook think so. It's much easier to buy into a conspiracy theory than admit one of "yours" could do such a thing.

Thorzdad
Oct 25, 2018, 07:12 PM

So far, it’s either a false flag (and, seriously, what isn’t a false flag event to these people anymore?) or, the targets brought it upon themselves, or it’s the press’ fault for reasons. They keep throwing crap at the wall, hoping something sticks.

Thorzdad
Nov 5, 2018, 08:24 PM

Apparently, Brian Kemp has accused Georgia Democrats of attempting a cyberattack, and launched an investigation.

The Final Dakar  (op)
Games Meister
Nov 5, 2018, 11:41 PM

Stacey Abrams has a real shot at winning governor and it speaks to how little Georgia has moved on since the Voting Rights Act that we're seeing them stoop this low and this obvious.

Waragainstsleep
Posting Junkie
Nov 6, 2018, 05:59 PM

Apple news says voters are blaming Kemp for the 4-5 hours its taking them to vote.

Thorzdad
Nov 6, 2018, 08:05 PM

The Final Dakar  (op)
Games Meister
Nov 7, 2018, 09:28 AM

Pollsters in Florida really need to start from scratch.

Thorzdad
Nov 14, 2018, 07:34 AM

Yesterday, my wife got a phishing email announcing open-enrollment for "Trumpcare." It was pretty slick. Nice logo. I'm sure they'll do very well.

andi*pandi
Nov 14, 2018, 12:43 PM

I've been getting them too.

OreoCookie
Nov 14, 2018, 08:03 PM

Yesterday, my wife got a phishing email announcing open-enrollment for "Trumpcare." It was pretty slick. Nice logo. I'm sure they'll do very well.
Isn't that the perfect joke that is more real than life, Trumpcare as a scam?
I don't suffer from insanity, I enjoy every minute of it.

The Final Dakar  (op)
Games Meister
Nov 14, 2018, 08:33 PM

Avenatti arrested for domestic violence. L-O-L

Good luck with that 2020 candidacy, tough guy.

Chongo
Addicted to MacNN
Nov 15, 2018, 11:40 AM

Obama good, Trump bad!!
45/47

Laminar
Posting Junkie
Nov 15, 2018, 12:14 PM

Originally Posted by Chongo View Post
Obama good, Trump bad!!
Without walls of text quoted or bad YouTube videos, can you personally expound on the context of each event?

andi*pandi
Nov 15, 2018, 01:38 PM

That isn't the instance that comes to mind... that looks like a person interrupting a statement and being disruptive. Not a reporter asking a question when they had the mike.

Ah, it was a protester.
https://www.snopes.com/fact-check/ob...ss-conference/

What came out of the instance I'm thinking of, was CNN stood up for Fox, just like Fox is surprisingly standing up for CNN now.
( Last edited by andi*pandi; Nov 15, 2018 at 02:00 PM. )

The Final Dakar  (op)
Games Meister
Nov 15, 2018, 08:32 PM

Originally Posted by andi*pandi View Post
That isn't the instance that comes to mind... that looks like a person interrupting a statement and being disruptive. Not a reporter asking a question when they had the mike.

Ah, it was a protester.
https://www.snopes.com/fact-check/ob...ss-conference/

What came out of the instance I'm thinking of, was CNN stood up for Fox, just like Fox is surprisingly standing up for CNN now.
Are you saying chongo's video is fake news?

andi*pandi
Nov 15, 2018, 08:56 PM

If it looks like a duck, and quacks like a duck....

Chongo's video: quack quack

Thorzdad
Nov 16, 2018, 12:07 PM

A Trump-appointed Federal judge ruled today that the White House must reinstate Jim Acosta's press credentials immediately. I'm eagerly awaiting Trump slagging the judge in the same manner he lambasted Sessions, because he didn't have Trump's back.

The Final Dakar  (op)
Games Meister
Nov 16, 2018, 02:16 PM

A Trump-appointed Federal judge ruled today that the White House must reinstate Jim Acosta's press credentials immediately. I'm eagerly awaiting Trump slagging the judge in the same manner he lambasted Sessions, because he didn't have Trump's back.
Hmm, curious of what the legal reasoning is.

reader50
Administrator
Nov 16, 2018, 03:07 PM

It was a temporary order, as the judge thought CNN was likely to prevail on the merits.
Judge Kelly, a Trump appointee, did not address the first amendment’s protections for freedom of speech and the press on Friday, but instead focused on a due process provision of the US constitution that provides for fair treatment through a judicial or administrative process.

“Whatever process occurred within the government is still so shrouded in mystery that the government at oral argument could not tell me who made the initial decision to revoke Mr Acosta’s press pass,” Kelly said in his verbal ruling.
As I read it, I think it was handled as a government "taking" without due process. White House press credentials are doubtless hard to come by, and precious to anyone who has one. Oh, and I could tell the judge who made the initial decision.

Waragainstsleep
Posting Junkie
Nov 16, 2018, 10:24 PM

Originally Posted by The Final Dakar View Post
Avenatti arrested for domestic violence. L-O-L

Good luck with that 2020 candidacy, tough guy.
The American Gestapo makes its first appearance?

Thorzdad
Nov 17, 2018, 12:39 PM

I heard an interesting take on the whole Acosta affair by a Fox contributor during 1A's friday news roundup. He posited that Trump knows which reporters are more difficult/combative and purposely calls on them so he can do his tough-guy/the-press-is-the-enemy-of-the-people shtick for the cameras (and his faithful followers) to see. It's theater.

He went on to say that the reporters know this is what he's doing and that they're being used as propaganda tools, but there really isn't anything they can do about it other than throw softballs or simply not attend Trump's press events.

He also posited that, given the judge's ruling was based on the 5th and due-process, the White House will now create a "due-process" system that will essentially be a very quick kangaroo court.

Forum Links
Forum Rules