Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > Political/War Lounge > The Russian Connection

The Russian Connection (Page 16)
OreoCookie
Oct 31, 2017, 09:49 PM

Originally Posted by The Final Dakar View Post
I'll challenge this – I don't think it takes a mastermind to say, "Hey let's get rid of the guy who keeps nagging us with his horrible idea. It's annoying"
No, it doesn't. But it also doesn't take a mastermind to see that writing “I love it.” in response to an email where I am propositioned to receive information from the Russian state on then-candidate Clinton.

I think a plausible interpretation of the events is that the Trump campaign is ok with the analog of Ensign Rickey to do the dirty work so as to give itself plausible deniability. Nevertheless, Papadopoulos received encouragement from other members of the Trump campaign after reaching out to “the Professor” (Sam Clovis, another policy advisor, is quoted as writing “Great work!”). That was weeks before the meeting between Trump Jr., Kushner and Manafort with the “Russian lawyer”, and before other people affiliated with the Trump campaign alluded to the possibility of Clinton emails being released. Given that timeline, I think it is plausible that there was indeed collusion, and that Papadopoulos was acting in according with the wishes of the campaign.
I don't suffer from insanity, I enjoy every minute of it.

The Final Dakar  (op)
Games Meister
Nov 1, 2017, 03:56 PM

So Jeff Sessions was head of the foreign policy committee that Webster dad was on. That means he likely could have been on the proposals to meet with the Russians.

Which, again, means he likely perjured himself during his nomination hearing.

It's too bad he's not due in front of congress for a while.

subego
Clinically Insane
Nov 2, 2017, 03:35 AM

This post foolishly inspired me to find out what Webster looks like now.

The Final Dakar  (op)
Games Meister
Nov 2, 2017, 02:50 PM

Guy who funded Breitbart and backed Trump suddenly distancing himself from Bannon, Milo, and selling his stake. Could be nothing, but the timing is great for conspiracy

subego
Clinically Insane
Nov 2, 2017, 04:22 PM

All those billions and he can't buy himself a name check.

The Final Dakar  (op)
Games Meister
Nov 2, 2017, 06:51 PM

Word is Clovis (Pap's direct superior) testified in front of the grand jury. No one in the White House knew.

Also:
The former director of the Trump campaign's national security advisory committee, JD Gordon, said that he and Jeff Sessions, then the committee's chairman, "did not know" about George Papadopoulos' emails.

The Final Dakar  (op)
Games Meister
Nov 3, 2017, 04:11 PM

I like to think the reason Carter Page is a media whore is because he thinks that he'll get whacked if he's any less prominent.

subego
Clinically Insane
Nov 3, 2017, 04:58 PM

Guy who funded Breitbart and backed Trump suddenly distancing himself from Bannon, Milo, and selling his stake. Could be nothing, but the timing is great for conspiracy
He didn't **** around when it came to Milo.

subego
Clinically Insane
Nov 3, 2017, 09:58 PM

I feel like pinning Webster's dad on Sessions is a little stretchy.

Unlike his meetings with Kislyak the Hutt.

The Final Dakar  (op)
Games Meister
Nov 3, 2017, 11:06 PM

Originally Posted by subego View Post
He didn't **** around when it came to Milo.
I don't follow

subego
Clinically Insane
Nov 3, 2017, 11:36 PM

"[I]n my opinion, actions of and statements by Mr. Yiannopoulos have caused pain and divisiveness undermining the open and productive discourse that I had hoped to facilitate. I was mistaken to have supported him."

Guy got within visual range of an apology.

Waragainstsleep
Posting Junkie
Nov 4, 2017, 04:10 AM

For someone who thinks he's so damn smart, I'm surprised Milo never realised how thin the ice always was for him as a gay foreigner hanging out with a gang of insular homophobes.
I have plenty of more important things to do, if only I could bring myself to do them....

subego
Clinically Insane
Nov 4, 2017, 05:33 AM

It came earlier than was in the flight plan, but I'm sure Milo realized it was inevitable he would get too close to the sun at some point.

The Final Dakar  (op)
Games Meister
Nov 4, 2017, 01:30 PM

"[I]n my opinion, actions of and statements by Mr. Yiannopoulos have caused pain and divisiveness undermining the open and productive discourse that I had hoped to facilitate. I was mistaken to have supported him."

Guy got within visual range of an apology.
What do you think prompted this almost apology? His critique has been obvious for over a year.

subego
Clinically Insane
Nov 4, 2017, 08:37 PM

I don't really know.

I would surmise me not knowing is related to him not meriting a name check.

My guess is his almost apology is dog-whistle for "stop ****ing calling me a Nazi".

The Final Dakar  (op)
Games Meister
Nov 4, 2017, 09:30 PM

I don't really know.

I would surmise me not knowing is related to him not meriting a name check.

My guess is his almost apology is dog-whistle for "stop ****ing calling me a Nazi".
I have the answer for you: Buzzfeed's expose that Milo was coordinating with literal nazis and the fallout that is now happening against his hedgefund

The Final Dakar  (op)
Games Meister
Nov 5, 2017, 08:32 PM

Add Wilbur Ross to the list of cabinet members that 'forgot' items on their disclosure relating to Russia.

I don't even think he's tied to whatever Russia stuff Team Trump is involved with. He's just so rich its inevitable that he's done shady stuff.

The Final Dakar  (op)
Games Meister
Nov 7, 2017, 10:17 AM

Have to read the articles in depth but it sounds like Carter Pages testimony might be the tipping point here. His testimony is said to contradict others and also matches up with the Steele Dossier.

OreoCookie
Nov 7, 2017, 10:51 AM

Add Wilbur Ross to the list of cabinet members that 'forgot' items on their disclosure relating to Russia.
This is like a broken record: Trump official did not disclose connections to Russia. In the late 1990s, it was a scandal that Bill Clinton perjured himself over a blowjob.
I don't even think he's tied to whatever Russia stuff Team Trump is involved with. He's just so rich its inevitable that he's done shady stuff.
I would be more nuanced here: if Ross were a private citizen, all of these dealings would be ok. Not disclosing them during his hearing while under oath as well as potentially violating the emoluments clause* is not ok. Now the Trump administration's official in charge of trade has recused himself in all matters relating to shipping.

* I'm trying to be careful. I am sure that if he had asked an ethics lawyer worth his or her salt, they would have advised him to divest.

The Final Dakar  (op)
Games Meister
Nov 7, 2017, 11:06 AM

Page says he's been interviewed by the FBI four or five times

Edit: This year

OreoCookie
Nov 7, 2017, 11:08 AM

Page says he's been interviewed by the FBI four or five times

Edit: This year
And this moron still gives TV interviews. I am not a lawyer myself, but I'm quite sure that the first thing most lawyers would have told him to do was to STFU.

The Final Dakar  (op)
Games Meister
Nov 7, 2017, 11:35 AM

He has no lawyer.

OreoCookie
Nov 7, 2017, 12:17 PM

He has no lawyer.
Are you serious? Where did Trump find these people?!?

The Final Dakar  (op)
Games Meister
Nov 7, 2017, 12:31 PM

It is a point of pride for him.

He is clearly a moron. I think there's stuff about him on the first or second page of this thread.

Chongo
Addicted to MacNN
Nov 7, 2017, 05:11 PM

Anyone been charged with collusion yet?
45/47

The Final Dakar  (op)
Games Meister
Nov 7, 2017, 05:36 PM

Originally Posted by Chongo View Post
Anyone been charged with collusion yet?
Move dem goalposts

Chongo
Addicted to MacNN
Nov 7, 2017, 05:56 PM

Did Tapper move them?

Was Manafort or Papadopoulos charged with collusion?
45/47

The Final Dakar  (op)
Games Meister
Nov 7, 2017, 06:01 PM

Any smoking guns yet?

Chongo
Addicted to MacNN
Nov 7, 2017, 06:06 PM

So, no charges, no smoking guns.
45/47

The Final Dakar  (op)
Games Meister
Nov 7, 2017, 06:39 PM

oh ok

The Final Dakar  (op)
Games Meister
Nov 7, 2017, 06:54 PM

Gordon said on Monday that he didn't "recall all of Carter Page's emails."

"I was getting thousands of emails on the campaign and didn't read all of them," he told Business Insider. "I discouraged Carter from taking the trip to Moscow in the first place because it was a bad idea ... He eventually went around me directly to campaign leadership."

The campaign manager at the time, Corey Lewandowski, approved Page's trip, Gordon said.
"Did you ever express support for the idea of lifting US sanctions on Russia with Mr. Baranov?" Schiff asked.

"Not directly," Page said.
Asked whether he had ever met the overseas professor who told Papadopoulos about the Kremlin's dossier of incriminating Clinton emails, Joseph Mifsud, Page at first said, "No."

But he then seemed to backtrack.

"You know, there may have been a greeting," he said. "I have no recollection of ever interacting with him in any way, shape or form ... I have no personal relationship with him."
http://www.businessinsider.com/carte...ossier-2017-11

Laminar
Posting Junkie
Location: Iowa, how long can this be? Does it really ruin the left column spacing?
Nov 8, 2017, 09:05 PM

What is a reasonable timeframe for a federal case of this magnitude? Do you believe that if nothing has been revealed by now, that nothing will ever be revealed?

If someone on the opposing political side said of Hillary's emails, "Anyone been charged yet?" would you say to yourself, "Yes, that is the level of proof I require of my political enemies and I accept that the Clinton campaign did nothing wrong."?

OreoCookie
Nov 8, 2017, 09:45 PM

Originally Posted by Laminar View Post
What is a reasonable timeframe for a federal case of this magnitude? Do you believe that if nothing has been revealed by now, that nothing will ever be revealed?
It is quite clear that this is only Mueller's opening salvo that is meant to send a clear message: cooperate now and you can expect leniency (Papadopoulos model). Or we throw the book at you (Manafort model). Also, Mueller doesn't want to tip off people on what he knows, but if you read the court documents carefully, it is clear that he elected to strike a balance between being aggressive and not putting all your cards on the table. I think the next person are Michael Flynn Jr. and Sr., and eventually Trump's family.

Interpreting this as “See, there is nothing there!” is wishful thinking.
If someone on the opposing political side said of Hillary's emails, "Anyone been charged yet?" would you say to yourself, "Yes, that is the level of proof I require of my political enemies and I accept that the Clinton campaign did nothing wrong."?
It is evident that Clinton and Trump are not measured the same way. Even without a Trump involvement, so far 9 people connected to either Trump's campaign, Trump's White House or his closest family members have been caught red-handed lying about Russia-related stuff.

The Final Dakar  (op)
Games Meister
Nov 10, 2017, 10:16 AM

This may have been covered before but Flynn was considering a plan to kidnap someone off US soil and deliver them to Turkey for $15 mil.

The Final Dakar  (op)
Games Meister
Nov 10, 2017, 12:53 PM

Roger Stone claims he has almost half a mil in legal fees and his name has barely come up in rumors. Wonder what he's fighting.

The Final Dakar  (op)
Games Meister
Nov 10, 2017, 02:30 PM

This may have been covered before but Flynn was considering a plan to kidnap someone off US soil and deliver them to Turkey for $15 mil.
Rohrbacher may be linked to this. Mueller reviewing emails between him and Flynn.

reader50
Administrator
Nov 10, 2017, 04:38 PM

They're probably talking about Fethullah Gulen, a Muslim cleric based in the US. Apparently President Erdogan considers Gulen the mastermind behind the military coup attempt. Turkey's been trying to talk the US into extraditing him. Not happening so far, on account of Gulen not having broken any laws. And he denies masterminding the coup. I was under the impression military officers took orders from their generals, not obscure clerics in another country.

The Final Dakar  (op)
Games Meister
Nov 10, 2017, 05:32 PM

I know who it's about. Pretty sure Gulen is a boogeyman Erdogan is using to tighten his control on the country.

Snow-i
Professional Poster
Nov 10, 2017, 06:09 PM

I know who it's about. Pretty sure Gulen is a boogeyman Erdogan is using to tighten his control on the country.
Precisely how I read it as well.

The Final Dakar  (op)
Games Meister
Nov 10, 2017, 06:42 PM

http://abcnews.go.com/Technology/wir...mails-51072699
A data firm that worked for President Donald Trump's campaign reached out to WikiLeaks during the campaign about obtaining emails related to Democrat Hillary Clinton, the company's CEO said.

Alexander Nix, CEO of Cambridge Analytica, said the approach was in "early June 2016" after WikiLeaks Editor Julian Assange had publicly claimed he had Clinton emails and planned to publish them. Nix said his company asked a speaker's agency representing Assange whether WikiLeaks "might share that information," but Assange turned him down.

---

If when this is over dirt isn't found on Nunes I'll be surprised. Guy is doing a full court press to protect Trump.
http://www.businessinsider.com/devin...russia-2017-11
Republican Rep. Devin Nunes, the chairman of the House Intelligence Committee, attended a breakfast meeting in January that Michael Flynn, then the incoming national security adviser, and Mevlut Cavusoglu, the Turkish foreign minister, also attended.
The invitation, obtained by the newspaper, said the breakfast would "be a small event for about 50-60 guests" and that the incoming White House chief of staff, Reince Priebus, "might join the meeting," Daily Sabah reported.

Nunes' spokesman, who did not return a request for comment on Friday, issued a statement earlier this year downplaying the importance of the breakfast.

"Chairman Nunes was a speaker at that event, but it was a large breakfast event, not a small, private meeting as described in that article," the spokesman, Jack Langer, told the fact-checking website Snopes.l
Well, now I know how Nunes is connected to the Trump White House. Flynn is like the worst person to have been connected with.

reader50
Administrator
Nov 10, 2017, 09:14 PM

Actually, further commentary. How is Flynn not in jail? Last I heard, kidnapping was a felony. Conspiracy to commit kidnap should qualify too. Delivery to another country is automatically Federal jurisdiction. And $15 mil is felony territory by itself.

Do you get off the hook if you were "just talking" about it? While checking your bank balance, weighing how bad you need the $15M?

OreoCookie
Nov 10, 2017, 09:42 PM

Originally Posted by reader50 View Post
Actually, further commentary. How is Flynn not in jail? Last I heard, kidnapping was a felony. Conspiracy to commit kidnap should qualify too. Delivery to another country is automatically Federal jurisdiction. And $15 mil is felony territory by itself.
I reckon he has flipped or Mueller's team is working on flipping him. Flynn is a big fish, but if this goes further, they want the really big fish. Given what is public, it is quite likely that at least Trump's closest advisers (read: his son and his son in law) are implicated.

The Final Dakar  (op)
Games Meister
Nov 10, 2017, 10:12 PM

Originally Posted by reader50 View Post

Do you get off the hook if you were "just talking" about it? While checking your bank balance, weighing how bad you need the $15M?
Two fairly obvious answers here (To me):

1. He wasn't involved in a plot to kidnap Gulen. Notably his lawyers denied this charge today when they haven't commented on previous stories.

2. The more likely answer: Mueller isn't done with his digging into Flynn. Investigations don't end at the first sign of a crime. Flynn did a lot of shady shit on his own, but given Trump's loyalty to him it's seems probably he did some illegal/unethical things for the campaign as well.

Actually, I have a third possibility: They need to finish building a case against his son so they can exert pressure on him to flip when the time comes.

OreoCookie
Nov 10, 2017, 10:57 PM

Actually, I have a third possibility: They need to finish building a case against his son so they can exert pressure on him to flip when the time comes.
I almost forgot about this option, too: it seems that there are multiple avenues of criminal behavior, and perhaps Mueller's team wants to maximize the impact once it presses charges. Also, once they press charges, they will tip off other players, too, so they may want to keep their cards close to their chests.

Laminar
Posting Junkie
Location: Iowa, how long can this be? Does it really ruin the left column spacing?
Nov 11, 2017, 06:44 PM

Trump: In honor of Veterans Day, I choose to believe a former KGB officer instead of the US intel community, including my own CIA director.

reader50
Administrator
Nov 11, 2017, 07:01 PM

Trump: In honor of Veterans Day, I choose to believe a former KGB officer instead of the US intel community, including my own CIA director.
Since you put it this way, please note. Wikipedia says Mike Pompeo (CIA director) is a veteran.

Laminar
Posting Junkie
Nov 11, 2017, 07:15 PM

As is James Clapper, one of the former intelligence leaders Trump called out by name and labelled a "political hack."

Waragainstsleep
Posting Junkie
Nov 11, 2017, 10:03 PM

How many veterans and their families has he attacked publicly now? I thought conservatives were all about honouring veterans?

What does he have to do to piss his base off?

I have plenty of more important things to do, if only I could bring myself to do them....

The Final Dakar  (op)
Games Meister
Nov 11, 2017, 10:23 PM

FWIW http://www.businessinsider.com/trump...ddling-2017-11
However, when CNN asked Putin's press secretary, Dmitry Peskov, whether the two leaders had discussed the issue of Russian meddling in the election at all, Peskov replied that they had not.
Occam's razor: Peskov is gaslighting us.
Problem: No one in the US is telling him he's full of shit. Particularly a certain prolific tweeter with a history of attacking 'fake news'

The Final Dakar  (op)
Games Meister
Nov 11, 2017, 10:25 PM

Also, could Peskov look more Russian?

80s hair and mustache are doing the bulk of the heavy lifting here.

Forum Links
Forum Rules