Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Enthusiast Zone > Classic Macs and Mac OS > Get your 3rd party burner to work with iTunes and Discburner

Get your 3rd party burner to work with iTunes and Discburner
speedyblah
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jan 11, 2001, 07:24 AM

to get Disc Burner to work on your external burner do this:
(if you only want burner support in iTunes, take step 1-8... this works in 9.0.4 too...)
NB: requires 9.1 and carbonlib 1.2(not included with 9.1)
1. get iTunes and install it..
2. Get the CD Master preview from Radialogic
3. After installing it, get the "YamahaCDR" and "PlextorCDR" files from the "CD Master Plug-Ins folder"
4. Change the Type information to "plug" and the Creator to "burn"
5. Put the modified plugin in the iTunes "Authoring Support Files" folder (folder is in the extensions folder..)
6. Ensure that the "CD Master ATA/SCSI Driver" is in your Extensions folder
7. Restart
8. make a test burn with a mp3 to see that your drive is now supported in iTunes... (can be skipped)
9. Get Disc burner.
10. Get TomeViewer
11. open the tome on the disk image and extract these files to a temporary folder:
Disc Burner
Disc Burner Extension
Finder
12. move your old finder from the system folder to the desktop (for backup..) move the new Finder v. 9.1.1 to the system folder.
13. put the Disc Burner extension in the extensions folder
14. move the Disc Burner program to your harddrive
15. restart
16. insert empty cd-r(w) and see it pop up on the desktop

find the software needed on versiontracker.com

parts of this tutorial courtesy of Lionel from MacBidouille, and macresource.com...

of course i take no responsible for problems, caused by using the above information, blablablabla

This is confirmed to work!!
on internal atapi drives.
and on external Que! USB drive

almost any drive is compatible with this hack, see http://www.radialogic.com/products/cdmasterdc.html

this should work with ANY drive, just follow the instructions, and make sure that you change the type/creator...

you can use this app, to change file type etc.: http://www.versiontracker.com/moreinfo.fcgi?id=1615

get cd master preview from here... http://www.radialogic.com/products/cdmasterpreview/

you know where to get iTunes and Disc burner from

over the weekend i'll get my burner working, connected through scsi pc card to my pismo, it should work

APPARENTLY THERE IS PROBLEMS WITH THE ABOVE PROCEDURE, I WILL BE TESTING IT OVER THE WEEKEND AND POST A FINAL WAY TO HACK IT...

and yes the cd master preview has been pulled, please try to find it on macupdate.com or something...

[This message has been edited by speedyblah (edited 01-12-2001).]

speedyblah  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jan 11, 2001, 07:30 AM

if you want the documentation too, you can replace the "dk" folder on your harddrive with the one found on the Disc Burner disk image...

use sherlock to locate the folders...

GreenspeedPilot
Jan 11, 2001, 11:52 AM

OK...I didn't do most of that; all I did was extract the files from the DiscBurner installer tome, place them into my unopened System Folder (9.1 of course ;-) after saving copies of the files which were about to be replaced, then Restart.

Everything works fine with my Wallstreet II. I have an MCE Xcaret Pro Media Bay CDRW; PowerLogix 500MHz BlueChip; 192M RAM; 32G IBM TravelStar, partitioned for MacOS 9.1, MacOS 9.0.4 (Classic Environment), and MacOSXpb.

Naturally, I haven't bothered testing with MacOS Xpb or 9.0.4.

One problem I have is, whenever I run iTunes' Visuals in Full-Screen mode (haven't tested the other sizes yet) is that it destroys my Desktop layout. I like things to remain where I put them; iTunes Visuals essentially performs an "Arrange Alphabetically" on my Desktop. AAAARRRRGGGGGHHHHH!!!!! Don't ya just *hate* it when that happens?!?!

I have replaced my Finder Prefs (trashed the file and Restarted)...I guess I should try Zapping the PRAM (hello, TechTool Pro 3!) - but that's not likely to fix it.

Michael

jeronimo
Dedicated MacNNer
Jan 11, 2001, 12:25 PM

Hummm... I'll wait for the drivers from Apple

------------------
Think Diferente!
Think Diferente!

schwank
Jan 11, 2001, 06:40 PM

Um.... where can i find CD master preview?

schwank
Jan 11, 2001, 06:51 PM

Nevermind, I saw the product discontinued warning and figured that the radialogic site didnt have it anymore, which they did....... : D

rlorenc
Dedicated MacNNer
Jan 11, 2001, 07:11 PM

Does this work with USB external drives too (i.e. my Que! USB drive)?

Thanks!

iPond317
Mac Enthusiast
Jan 11, 2001, 07:14 PM

What about Iomega ZipCD drives?! Will any of these plug-ins work or do I have to wait for Apple to post more drivers (if they even do)?!

------------------
Think different.
--------------------
"I'm so afraid, the way I feel. Days when the rain and the sun are gone. Black as night. Agony's torn at my heart too long. So afraid, slip and I fall and I die..." - Lindsey Buckingham
iPond317 | ODU Apple Campus Rep
"Ten years ago down by the lake I sunk my sweet love down to her watery grave." - Hello Again | DMB

Old: Apple IIc, PowerMac 7200/90, iMac Bondi Blue 233, Titanium PowerBook G4 400 - New: MacBook 2.0, iPhone 8GB, AirPort Extreme Gb, iPod 30GB 5th Gen

NoahJ
Jan 11, 2001, 07:17 PM

I think they pulled the CD Master preview from the site. I cannot find it anywhere and there is a broken link from the Box graphic that I would expect would lead to a downloadable file. FYI.

NoahJ

NoahJ
Jan 11, 2001, 07:24 PM

NeverMind

dbergstrom
Dedicated MacNNer
Jan 11, 2001, 07:33 PM

Does not work with Que Fire 8x4x32x burner (Plextor mechanism). Either the radialogic driver for the Plextor doesn't work OR iTunes/Discburner doesn't see the Firewire burner.

As for GreenspeedPitot's success:
Media bay is ATAPI bus (same bus as new built-in burners). Discburner thinks his Wallstreet is a new G4 - he didn't need to customize any drivers.
Don

glensanford
Jan 11, 2001, 08:03 PM

Doesn't work with my QPS FW 12x10x32 either.

elvisripley
Forum Regular
Jan 11, 2001, 09:23 PM

How do you change the type for the plugin?
http://elvisripley.com

sage
Jan 11, 2001, 09:50 PM

[QUOTE]Originally posted by speedyblah:

4. Change the Type information to "burn" and the Creator to "plug"

That should be Type = plug and Creator = burn

amwt
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jan 11, 2001, 10:49 PM

I suppose CD Master is same as Apple's Disc Burner, at: http://asu.info.apple.com/swupdates.nsf/artnum/n11901

[QUOTE]Originally posted by NoahJ:
[B]I think they pulled the CD Master preview from the site. I cannot find it anywhere and there is a broken link from the Box graphic that I would expect would lead to a downloadable file. FYI.

GreenspeedPilot
Jan 11, 2001, 11:28 PM

I know this can come across as being a bit sniping, but that wasn't my intent...

dbergstrom: Thanks for the infor regarding ATAPI drive being accepted as a G4 with built-in CDRW...but that's apparently not sufficient for the Installer to work. It barfs and says the WS hardware is incompatible (I don't recall the exact dialog ;-) so I had to use TomeViewer to extract the drivers...the rest was intuitive...and a bit of luck, I suppose, since my experience in these matters is rather limited.

Oh...it's GreenspeedPilot, not GreenspeedPitot

bsoplinger
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jan 12, 2001, 12:21 AM

Kudos to the folks at RadiaLogic:

I called them the last week of December about purchasing their software. The person there basically told me wait 2 weeks before you buy that he couldn't say why though.

I think this was extrememly honest of them, to tell me not to purchase a product they were about to sell off and no longer support. Way different and much better than C&G who's still selling SoundJam, considering that the chief programmer of C&G is now an apple employee and SoundJam now seems to be iTune.

If the folks at RadiaLogic had other software offerings that I'd be contemplating purchasing their employee's one considerate act would definitely make a huge difference to me and I'd automatically lean towards getting their product over a competitors.

[This message has been edited by bsoplinger (edited 01-11-2001).]

slimshady023
Forum Regular
Jan 12, 2001, 12:36 AM

Hey all -

Has anyone been able to get a QPS 8/4/32 to work with iTunes? I followed the directions verbatim -- or so I think! But, I haven't had any success.

I heard that QPS recently released a firmware update for their firewire drives (versions 1.07), which may or may not have an impact. My drive's current firmware is at 1.05, though I don't have a PC (Piece o' Crap) to update it!

l8r all.

Ericmw
Jan 12, 2001, 05:01 AM

slimshady I got the same thing going on but I have VPC so I'm going to try to up grade the firmware on it through that. Its an extremely long shot since I"m not sure if VPC supports firewire. I know they support USB but I doubt I'll have any luck that way.

Eric

speedyblah  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jan 12, 2001, 06:19 AM

updated the original post...

this should work with ANY drive, just follow the instructions, and make sure that you change the type/creator...

you can use this app, to change file type etc.: http://www.versiontracker.com/moreinfo.fcgi?id=1615

get cd master preview from here... http://www.radialogic.com/products/cdmasterpreview/

you know where to get iTunes and Disc burner from

[This message has been edited by speedyblah (edited 01-12-2001).]

iboy!
Jan 12, 2001, 10:25 AM

Couldn't get my 1st generation Sony Spressa USB CD-RW drive to work with CD Master.

The USB driver that it installs locks up 9.1 when the Finder is launched. I have to kill the Finder to get control of my iMac back.

CD Master supposedly supports the USB Spressa. Has anyone had any success with getting it to work?

beverson
Mac Enthusiast
Jan 12, 2001, 10:54 AM

iTunes hack seems to work fine -- thanks a bunch!

however, in trying to do the disc burner hack, I get stuck trying to extract the Finder 9.1.1 from the tome -- it gives me an error "There was a problem decompressing the file 'Finder'. (-43)"

Any thoughts on why this might be happening and how to get around it?

neps
Jan 12, 2001, 11:45 AM

tried it with out QPS 8x4x32 Firewire drive with no success. Followed the directions to the T. Maybe it is getting confused which drive to choose because it is recognizing our internal DVD-RAM on the G4 but not the external.

Guess it was just not ment to be.

slimshady023
Forum Regular
Jan 12, 2001, 12:15 PM

Hi there -

Yea, it looks like it just wasn't meant to be. Like Ericmw, I tried updating the firmware via VirtualPC, but later found out that the firewire chip isn't emulated in the program. All of the correct files are in the correct folders, with correct file names. Oh, well.

It's weird and sort of ironic though, that the CD Master program itself recognizes and burns CDs to the QPS 8/4/32 drive just fine, though Apple's iTunes -- using the same technology -- cannot. This is probably the reason Apple chose not to include external CD drivers with the iTunes initial release.

Anyway, everyone have a good day. If anyone has been able to burn iTune discs through their QPS drive, the help would be appreciated to all of us with them!

l8r

BahamaBen
Jan 12, 2001, 12:32 PM

Tried with:

PowerBook Bronze
VST External CD RW USB

and

PowerBook Bronze
Iomega Zip CD RW USB

Neither work with theis method. The VST actually locks machine on startup with CDMaster USB Driver installed.

Most upset... I was all excited... <sigh>

dbergstrom
Dedicated MacNNer
Jan 12, 2001, 01:29 PM

beverson:

you can only extract the finder to a System folder. Remove your old finder from the system folder and then use Tomeviewer to extract the new finder to the system folder. You can extract the finder elsewhere if you rename it, but then it's not the "Finder" anymore and your system won't boot.

It's a moot point anyway, since this fix doesn't work with most USB/Firewire external CDRW.

GreespeedPilot:

I didn't mean to imply that the installer recognizes your computer as a new G4 - it obviously knows that you're running a good ol' WallStreet (almost the same set-up as mine - I love this machine!). Just that after you get Discburner installed, it says: "Hey, this system has an ATAPI CDRW." That's the same thing it would say if you had a new G4. Incidentally, if you were to buy an internal CD-RW (Sony or Matashita) for any box since the beige G3s and hook it up to the ATAPI bus, Discburner and iTunes would work with minimal modification (just extracting the installer). The drives Apple is using in the new machines must be Sony or Matashita, since the Authoring support folder had drivers for these two brands but not Plextor (which is in all of the QPS branded drives).

I can't imagine that it will take Apple 60-90 days to release these drivers. I think they're just waiting until Tokyo when these release the iMacs with CD-RW (one of the TILs says discburner works with PowerMacs and iMacs with built-in CD-RW).
Don

SecretAsianMan999
Jan 12, 2001, 01:38 PM

Regarding the QPS FW CDRW drives... one can only assume that if Apple is selling them on their website, they're likely one of the top candidates for iTunes drivers...

beverson
Mac Enthusiast
Jan 12, 2001, 03:53 PM

Actually dbergstrom I think that's gonna save me -- I'm trying to use it with a SCSI-connected Yamaha burner which I got working with iTools. I'm hopeful anyway.

I won't be able to try until later this afternoon. But thanks for the help.

AJ
Dedicated MacNNer
Jan 12, 2001, 04:24 PM

Right, all the previews have been pulled from the site, it seems. If anyone with the extensions/plugins would be kind enough to send me them, I'd be dead chuffed. (if anyone wants to send the hacked versions...that would be even better!)

EDIT: Got a copy; thanks! Email removed

Regards
AJ

[This message has been edited by AJ (edited 01-12-2001).]

GreenspeedPilot
Jan 12, 2001, 04:54 PM

Y'know...some folks might think dbergstrom and I are having a grudge match...naaahhhhh....just a good exchange of info!

But he said:

"you can only extract the finder to a System folder."

Yet, when I did the extraction using TomeViewer, I did not extract the Finder into a System Folder...I extracted the entire Tome into a brand-new folder on my Desktop...saved copies of the originals from my System Folder...then dropped the extracted files onto the closed System Folder. This, by the way, was my first experience with TomeViewer, so I was rather pleased with the simplicity and the results.

So...what went right for me there?

Also, can anyone shed some light on the issue of why my tabbed windows' tabs resize after sleeping?

After the quote above, dbergstrom did an excellent job of clarifying what he'd said previously...maybe he and I didn't share one reference frame...all's cool now (heck...I wasn't upset, how 'bout you, dbergstrom?)

Now...what I find interesting is, most folks *seem* to misunderstand the original demo Steve Jobs put on, and what hardware is required for what software. Several forums, here and on other sites, follow a thread or three wherein the folks posting believe the issue is/was "iTunes requires an Apple built-in internal CD burner." Well...that's just not the case; it's DiscBurner, not iTunes which he was demoing at that point. We're busy on this forum debunking that myth...and having a grand old time doing so!

mrchin
Grizzled Veteran
Jan 12, 2001, 05:06 PM

Just went home at lunch to try this out on my MP450 using an external Iomega Zip CDRW. No gots! Didn't work. First of all, the CD Master site doesn't even show that many drives being supported by their software. Iomega of course is not one of them. iTunes did do something different. Before, when in prefs, the burning part of the advanced section was grayed out. Now I could do everything and was pretty excited until I tried to burn and got a drive not found or incompatible message or something like that. Oh, and CD Master preview is still there. I'm still able to see the download. When you click on the link on this board, you have to fill in your name and email in that gray box in the middle of the page, below the box. Next page, click on HERE link. So who's got the driver for IOMEGA CD burner? Maybe the toast driver for Iomega can be converted using the FileTyper and just put into iTools extension folder...
Dual 2.0 G5/2.5GB/ATI 9800 Pro | MacBook Pro 2.16 Gore Duo/2GB/ATI X1600

beverson
Mac Enthusiast
Jan 12, 2001, 06:19 PM

Our SCSI LaCie drive won't work with Disc Burn either (appears I spoke too soon in my previous post). To review: iTools hack worked great the first time, and the suggestion about extracting the finder to the Sys Fold helped too, but I can't get Disc Burn to recognize that there is blank media in the drive. (just for kicks I might try the suggestion about opening the whole tome and picking the files from a folder instead)

I'd love to get this to work if anyone else has any ideas.

techathead
Jan 12, 2001, 07:03 PM

Okay guys if you poke around the cdmaster website enough, you find out that an undisclosed party (apple) bought out two of their products cd master and storage master presumably itunes burn and disc burner. That is why the files are gone.
Tommy
PS Anyone that can email all of the files required to do this
tommyyoung(at)mac.com

oscar
Grizzled Veteran
Jan 12, 2001, 09:07 PM

This was already posted in the DV forum, since that covers mp3 topics, etc

AG3-X
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jan 12, 2001, 09:35 PM

Is there anyway Apples diskburner can burn stuff with 2 sessions, one with say...300 sectors audio and the other data?

So it can handle CDI format?

AG3-X
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jan 12, 2001, 09:41 PM

Someone put up cdmaster in an idisk!
They have pulled it from the site, i once had this app but trashed it when i needed room..damn!

RGS
Jan 12, 2001, 09:47 PM

Will someone please e-mail me the CDMaster installer?

Thanks.

AG3-X
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jan 12, 2001, 09:48 PM

Get cdmaster demo from here: http://www.radialogic.com/products/cdmasterpreview.html

If that doesnt work Ill put up an idisk, but it should cause i just got it 5 mins ago...demo version limits to 5 burns.

biddlet
Jan 12, 2001, 10:25 PM

Does anyone know which plugin is supposed to work with the Mitsumi CR-4804TE? I have one (LaCie USB version) and it doesn't seem to work no matter what I do.

I also need to find a copy of the CD Master preview.

Tim.

mac freak
Mac Elite
Jan 12, 2001, 11:19 PM

Would SOMEBODY please setup a Hotline server for us all to get that CD Master preview from?

Or at least upload it to some FTP server?

Not an iDisk, they are slow as hell.

------------------
Be Happy.
Be happy.

AG3-X
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jan 13, 2001, 12:35 AM

I put up a HL server for the app...will be on for half a day then off.
All i ask for is info on burning dreamcast CDI on mac...(back-up purposes only)

Ohh and say hi...hehe

Hotline server:

[This message has been edited by AG3-X (edited 01-13-2001).]

brett c
Jan 13, 2001, 01:33 AM

fyi -- with powerbook G3/Firewire, 9.0.4, & MCE Xcaret Pro
expansion bay drive, plus iTunes _only_
i.e. no Disc Burner - I can burn CD-R audio directly from iTunes.

see my post elsewhere at: http://www.go2mac.com/feedback.cfm?newsID=7728

I was unable to even download disc burner that first day,
so I simply tried iTunes, and it worked.
not sure about all this disc burner stuff, but anyhow it was
dead simple to burn an audio CD-R with Pismo+Xcaret

apparently, the Xcaret mechanism is a Matsushita UJDA310

if you have that config, give it a try. much easier than what else is being discussed in this thread - I have no idea why, but it does work...

bilingual
Jan 13, 2001, 10:54 AM

I have PB Walstreet 233 1998 with Xcarret burner. I went through all the steps recommended here but itunes still does not recognize the drive and says "burner or software not found..." abd discburner does not mount blank cd's. If any of you have successfully get configuration similar to mine to work, please let me know-I will start suspecting extensions, control panels, etc. Thanks!

PeteL999
Mac Enthusiast
Jan 13, 2001, 11:31 AM

When I used CD Master it always made my startup crash, has that happened to anyone else???

BTW: Is Apple developing drivers for this?

[This message has been edited by PeteL999 (edited 01-13-2001).]
Are you or are you not the black angel of death

GreenspeedAPilot
Jan 13, 2001, 12:57 PM

brett c:

Please pay attention (where CAPS are used, they are simply for emphasis...except for things like "CD", etc):

DiscBurner allows your CDRW drive to treat blank CD-R and CD-RW media JUST LIKE A HARD DRIVE. It is NOT required, nor did Steve Jobs say it was, for iTunes to burn discs.

With DiscBurner installed, if you insert a blank, unformatted disc into your CD burner, the media will appear on your Desktop, looking JUST LIKE A HARD DRIVE.

All this can be done with iTunes turned off.

JT
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jan 13, 2001, 02:56 PM

I'm just trying to find CDMaster....AHHH!

I am hoping one of you nice people will tell me where to find it or send me the files I need!!!

[email protected]

JT

AG3-X
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jan 13, 2001, 09:26 PM

My hotline ser is up again and it has CD master for you guys!

server is:

Any help on burning dreamcast CDI games on mac would be appreciated!

pimentel
Jan 14, 2001, 01:30 AM

Hi speedyblah,
I did all the procedures and itools works but empty cdr are not mounting on the desktop. I looked for "CD Master ATA/SCSI Driver" in the extensions folder and it is not there. maybe that is the problem. Can you email me that extension?

William Pimentel
[email protected]

---6. Ensure that the "CD Master ATA/SCSI Driver" is in your Extensions folder

spectre
Mac Enthusiast
Jan 14, 2001, 01:56 AM

This hack doesn't seem to work with my Lacie USB burner.

it looks like i'll be waiting for apples plugins

Ben

JT
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jan 14, 2001, 03:10 PM

IT WORKS!

I put the files in the plugins folder in the itunes folder...Duh! When I finally realized which folder to put them in (extensions:authoring support files) It worked like a charm!!

Setup: G4 400, SCSI Que 12x burner, 128megs ram, os 9.1, standard ext. control panels.

Thanks speed!!!

JT

Forum Links
Forum Rules