Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Enthusiast Zone > Classic Macs and Mac OS > Bad Blocks

Bad Blocks
Misha
Professional Poster
May 19, 2000, 06:02 PM

Up until recently, Norton Utilities has always been able to reliably repair bad blocks on disks for me. However, with version 5.0.x, it seems to have lost that ability. It reports the bad blocks, says it fixes them (it takes forever) but they seemingly reappear.

I rarely have to fix bad blocks, and haven't done so since Norton 3.5... is this an issue with Norton 5 or could the drive's blocks (sectors, whatever) be physically damaged?

Are there any other utilities that can reapir bad blocks? To my knowledge, Norton is the only one.

slboett
Grizzled Veteran
May 19, 2000, 06:09 PM

Backup the disk(s) now and low-level format the drive(s). Reinstall your OS, applications and data.

Scott

wlonh
Professional Poster
May 19, 2000, 06:10 PM

TTPro does not?

Don Foy
Dedicated MacNNer
May 19, 2000, 06:13 PM

Doesn't Tech Tool Pro block out bad blocks? I can't find my manual, so I'm not sure..

Also, this is pretty extreme, but one way to map out bad blocks is to do a low-level format using Drive Setup. Doesn't it map out bad blocks when you do that?

Caveat: If this is an IDE drive, then I think the low-level format is not available.

Don Foy
Dedicated MacNNer
May 19, 2000, 06:16 PM

Anybody notice when the administrator asks a question how fast the moderators jump?

wlonh
Professional Poster
May 19, 2000, 06:47 PM

hey Don, you transfer this thread to one forum and then i will transfer it to another, and so on, ok? not

[This message has been edited by wlonh (edited 05-19-2000).]

lycaon
Forum Regular
May 20, 2000, 04:52 AM

wlonh,

In case you've forgotten, you're an administrator now, too. Don's reply should include you as well

wlonh
Professional Poster
May 20, 2000, 08:39 AM

well, ok, but i am just a glorified moderator... the admin thing is for ease of operation (mine)... and also because i have been here awhile

Misha  (op)
Professional Poster
May 20, 2000, 11:23 AM

I'm going to be low-leveling the drive today, hopefully that wil do the trick.

Backing up a 40 GB drive that was pretty much full is a pain...

tioga
Dedicated MacNNer
May 20, 2000, 12:47 PM

Don: We want to hear heels clicking as they all snap to attention. Is there a smiley for that?

Misha  (op)
Professional Poster
May 20, 2000, 03:30 PM

Well I've begun reformatting the drive... I forgot that you can't low-level an ATA drive, so I'm zeroing all the data instead.

Hopefully this will fix the problem; I don't really want to have to send the drive back.

lycaon
Forum Regular
May 20, 2000, 05:53 PM

Misha,

Good luck with your drive. Maybe you ought to contact Symantec with your question. btw, wow! A 40GB drive that's almost full?! My 10GB drive is only about 35% full (or is that 65% empty. Is your drive half full or half empty? And if you zero a drive in the forest, does it make a sound?)

and wlonh, I think you're in denial. Don't you know that you're "management" now?

[This message has been edited by lycaon (edited 05-20-2000).]

slboett
Grizzled Veteran
May 20, 2000, 09:31 PM

Zeroing all data will do the same - Apple disabled the low level opiton because it's redundant.

Scott

Misha  (op)
Professional Poster
May 21, 2000, 12:41 AM

It took about 8 hours but zeroing all the data has fixed the problem. Now it's time to restore all that data. Hopefully this won't happen too often, it's quite a drag!

[This message has been edited by Misha (edited 05-21-2000).]

wlonh
Professional Poster
May 21, 2000, 12:46 AM

migawd 8 hrs to zero the HD, jeez, imagine what a low-level format would've taken if you could've done it, what, double or triple the time?

Forum Links
Forum Rules