Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Applications > Norton Utilities: That stupid "symfs.kext" file.

Norton Utilities: That stupid "symfs.kext" file.
jca
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Oct 19, 2002, 09:05 PM

After EVERY restart/startup in 10.2 I get this error dialog window in the Finder:

The program you are using needs to use a system file that may reduce the security of your computer.

The file "symfs.kext" has problems that may reduce the security of your computer.... etc.

Buttons: Fix and Use, Use, Don't Use

This is due to Norton Utilities, and their website says to click "Don't Use" and the problem will go away.

This is not the case. It happens each restart, 3 times (for the 3 drives I have installed). I've tried Fix and Use, Use, and Don't Use, but the dialog never goes away. I've updated everything in LiveUpdate - Norton is up-to-date.

It's driving me crazy. Is there a fix for this and/or a way to uninstall Norton cleanly?

Thanks for any help/info.

-jca
jca

fulmer
Professional Poster
Oct 19, 2002, 10:40 PM

boot into os 9 and remove that file and other files norton installs. symantec's website or the installer log of the norton installer should tell you what was installed where, at which point you can root through the directories and delete that stuff.

I too bought norton, then shortly thereafter deleted it and its hellspawn from my drive. all those kext files et al. bleh! if I need serious drive repair, I'll boot from the cd-rom. and as for viruses--there aren't any for os x, though they exist for unix, but we're safe for the most part.

CharlesS
Posting Junkie
Oct 20, 2002, 03:29 PM

That error message means that the permissions are wrong for that kernel extension. Usually the reason is that the owner got changed to your username, when it should be root.

Fix the permissions, and you should be able to get rid of that warning.

Ticking sound coming from a .pkg package? Don't let the .bom go off! Inspect it first with Pacifist. Macworld - five mice!

loudpedal
Forum Regular
Oct 20, 2002, 03:55 PM

I had a similar problem when starting my Mac under Jaguar. When I updated to 10.2.1, the annoying dialog went away for good.
"When the light turns green, get off the brakes and stand on the loudpedal!"

jca  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Oct 20, 2002, 09:18 PM

I'm also running 10.2.1 (sorry wasn't clear before), yet still have the problem. I looked at the SYMFS extension, the owner is set to SYSTEM, and there is no option for root. Any ideas?
jca

Forum Links
Forum Rules