Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Desktops > New Power Macintosh 970 well described!

New Power Macintosh 970 well described!
hellmachine
Forum Regular
Jun 18, 2003, 08:41 PM

http://www.spymac.com/forums/showthr...threadid=29112

different translations in english are there too.

in german reading this makes truly sense.
and since german shops seem to have the machines already the possibility is there.

btw, a nice detail describes the new cinema displays which interconnects on top of the powermac if the machine laid on the side into desktop-mode...

one of germans biggest distributors advertise the new machines in a banner on the right side claiming the machines will be available monday.
http://shop.cancom.de/shop/MediaAndB...ingfrom=Cancom

i believe the secret is out.

Superchicken
Addicted to MacNN
Jun 18, 2003, 09:19 PM

Ooo oo, perhaps apple will try and raise display sales by making they and the power macs more TOGEATHERY, IE enhance the over all usability of the Power Mac, and junk by buying from Apple.

Interesting concept...

Leonis
Senior User
Jun 18, 2003, 09:25 PM

I don't trust anything coming from spymac
MacPro 2.66, 5GB RAM, 250GB + 160GB HDs, 23" Cinema Display
MacBook Pro 1.83GHz, 2GB RAM (from work)
MacBook (White) 1.83GHz, 2GB RAM

TheMosco
Mac Elite
Jun 18, 2003, 10:40 PM

I don't trust anything coming from Germany.

mac freak
Mac Elite
Jun 19, 2003, 12:32 AM

Hmmm...
Spymac...

*thinks back to that PDA*
Be happy.

brainchild2b
Grizzled Veteran
Jun 19, 2003, 12:37 AM

Well it was posted by a German site not Spymac.

What i find that makes the german post very believable is the fact that they reported the size of the new tower around 17cm (very narrow) They also said the new PCI slots were diaganal. Either they thought through their hoax very well or it's true. Diagonal would ensure that all pci cards would fit with plenty of room.

moreno
Mac Enthusiast
Jun 19, 2003, 01:18 AM

, 2x USB, 1x USB 2,

Wake up!
There's no need to put 2 ports USB 1, and one USB 2.

USB 2.0 is backward compatible.

FAKE

MusicalTone
Dedicated MacNNer
Jun 19, 2003, 02:33 AM

But USB will not work on USB2!

Scotttheking
Moderator Emeritus
Jun 19, 2003, 02:42 AM

Originally posted by MusicalTone:
But USB will not work on USB2!
USB devices will work on USB2 ports.
USB2 devices will work (albeit slowly) on USB ports.
My website
Help me pay for college. Click for more info.

P
Jun 19, 2003, 02:55 AM

Originally posted by moreno:
, 2x USB, 1x USB 2,

Wake up!
There's no need to put 2 ports USB 1, and one USB 2.

USB 2.0 is backward compatible.

FAKE
USB 2.0 is only "sort of" backward compatible. For USB 2 to work at full speed, all cables and all hubs must be USB 2 - otherwise it will drop to USB 1.1 speeds. In some cases, simply having a USB 1.1 unit in the chain will drop the speed. It might make sense to have a pair of USB 1.1 ports and give directions in the manual to plug the keyboard into one of them so Apple doesn't have to update that hub to USB 2 as well.

Rabid Duck
Jun 19, 2003, 03:28 AM

The German description seemed plausible until I read the part about the two-button mouse with scroll wheel, which goes against 20 years of Apple doctrine. Also, that case is way too skinny... Apple would have to custom-engineer their own optical drives to cram 'em in there rather than using OEM parts. It just doesn't make any sense.

-RD

brainchild2b
Grizzled Veteran
Jun 19, 2003, 03:46 AM

I just care about the new mouse. I mean apple's own OS has features that use the two button mouse. It's time for a change up. If apple has a two button mouse trumpets should sound and it's a new era.

In fact if you were a smart computer company (one who cares about the little touches) you would have a USB 1.0 port separate from the USB 2.0. This ensures that the rest of the USB 2.0 doesn't get slowed down to be compatible with USB 1.0

This helps make it seem more plausable as well since apple is known for doing the little touches like these!

billybob128
Senior User
Jun 19, 2003, 04:08 AM

so if these are out soon what will it mean for the backlog of current powermac's surely they would have to have dropped the price of them to be cleared by now if they are dropped in price would you advise me to get a dual1.42 now and wait a year to upgrade?

MacbookPro dual 2Ghz 1GB Ram 128 Graphics

Superchicken
Addicted to MacNN
Jun 19, 2003, 04:50 AM

What Power Mac back log?

There supposidly arn't any period.

hellmachine  (op)
Forum Regular
Jun 19, 2003, 05:09 AM

some details make me believe this rumor is true:

1. i was posted first on a german site, which has no rumor profile.

2. it �s already clear that the new machines will be out on 23. because of advertising at certain dealers.

3. this sounds definitly like apples style. no more no less. there are some very good ideas and the description has details hard to invent.

4. actual powermacs are out of stock.

apple did a good job to keep its secret. only a few days and still no pictures.

only thing i can�t believe is the two button mouse. but maybe they finally learned

if this is all true i see a bright future. so what about the price????

- - e r i k - -
Posting Junkie
Jun 19, 2003, 05:24 AM

[ fb ] [ flickr ] [] [scl] [ last ] [ plaxo ]

galarneau
Senior User
Jun 19, 2003, 05:41 AM

I'd be psyched to see a tower that can be turned on it's side and used as a desktop. I prefer desktops, actually. I've seen PC makers do this, but they don't allow for aa change in the optical drive placement.

If this is true, however, they better be QUIET!!!. A desktop machine sitting right in front of your head, with screaming cooling fans isn't going to impress many people.

If the following is true:
1) PPC 970
2) Front mounted ports
3) Convertible case
4) Multiple bays for optical drives (at least 2)
5) Good graphics card
6) <$1300 for the base model

I'll be happy. No complaints, and Apple will have earned me back as a customer after the debacle with my iBook 800 combo drive.

Dogma
Mac Elite
Jun 19, 2003, 06:39 AM

Just seen the box somewhere in the ether. (obviously can't say where - someone'll end up with the sack)

Not called G5. It's called the PowerMacintosh 970. No codenames or anything. That's all i can say - never saw anything but one pictureless side of a box. Was I seeing things? Probably. But looks like the G5 don't exist in Apples mind, it's going with the actual chipname.

I'll float by the same place later and see if they've turned it around or moved it, or taken it out the box or anything.
Hark, I hear a robin sig'ing in the trees!
Nae, there is no sog to be sug,
or am I wrog? Why can't I sig?

hellmachine  (op)
Forum Regular
Jun 19, 2003, 07:09 AM

I'll float by the same place later and see if they've turned it around or moved it, or taken it out the box or anything. [/B]
yeah, more details oo7!

galarneau
Senior User
Jun 19, 2003, 08:18 AM

Originally posted by Dogma:
...never saw anything but one pictureless side of a box.
You need to run over there right now with a digital camera. Take whomever is there hostage. Do a full photoshoot, and escape. Do it. Now. NOW. Go Go Go.

hellmachine  (op)
Forum Regular
Jun 19, 2003, 08:29 AM

Originally posted by galarneau:
You need to run over there right now with a digital camera. Take whomever is there hostage. Do a full photoshoot, and escape. Do it. Now. NOW. Go Go Go.
rofl!!!

yeah, trust us, there is always a place in the world where you can hide after this. GO!

BrunoBruin
Mac Elite
Jun 19, 2003, 08:45 AM

*SIGH.* We really never do outgrow the urge to shake all the boxes under the Christmas tree, do we?

Eug
Clinically Insane
Jun 19, 2003, 09:05 AM

Originally posted by galarneau:
I'd be psyched to see a tower that can be turned on it's side and used as a desktop. I prefer desktops, actually. I've seen PC makers do this, but they don't allow for aa change in the optical drive placement.

If this is true, however, they better be QUIET!!!. A desktop machine sitting right in front of your head, with screaming cooling fans isn't going to impress many people.

If the following is true:
1) PPC 970
2) Front mounted ports
3) Convertible case
4) Multiple bays for optical drives (at least 2)
5) Good graphics card
6) <$1300 for the base model

I'll be happy. No complaints, and Apple will have earned me back as a customer after the debacle with my iBook 800 combo drive.
Most of your post makes sense except for maybe 6, judging by Apple's recent history, and 3 because I don't understand what 3 means. Do you mean the rotatable drives so you lie the tower on its side? If so I will say its very unlikely. It'd just be a gimmick IMO, and wouldn't help much since a Power Mac would make a lousy base for a Apple display, and you can't adjust the height of the Apple displays anyway.

ShadowKatana
Jun 19, 2003, 09:15 AM

Why didn't the guy post photos of the rig. If I had really wanted to be taken seriously I *would* have. Something tells me that this is another hoax.

galarneau
Senior User
Jun 19, 2003, 09:46 AM

Originally posted by Eug:
Most of your post makes sense except for maybe 6, judging by Apple's recent history.
Yes, but I think Apple needs a lower cost monitor-less Mac. That would make me happy.

...and 3 because I don't understand what 3 means. Do you mean the rotatable drives so you lie the tower on its side? If so I will say its very unlikely. It'd just be a gimmick IMO, and wouldn't help much since a Power Mac would make a lousy base for a Apple display, and you can't adjust the height of the Apple displays anyway.
That is what I meant. You really think it's just a gimmick? If Apple could make a stylish case that is also quiet, I would prefer to have a desktop than a tower.

... but hey, I've always danced to the beat of a different drummer

slider
Mac Elite
Jun 19, 2003, 10:41 AM

slider shoots different drummer in head.

slider
Mac Elite
Jun 19, 2003, 10:42 AM

Originally posted by BrunoBruin:
*SIGH.* We really never do outgrow the urge to shake all the boxes under the Christmas tree, do we?
So ture.

slider
Mac Elite
Jun 19, 2003, 10:56 AM

Originally posted by brainchild2b:
I just care about the new mouse. I mean apple's own OS has features that use the two button mouse. It's time for a change up. If apple has a two button mouse trumpets should sound and it's a new era.

In fact if you were a smart computer company (one who cares about the little touches) you would have a USB 1.0 port separate from the USB 2.0. This ensures that the rest of the USB 2.0 doesn't get slowed down to be compatible with USB 1.0

This helps make it seem more plausable as well since apple is known for doing the little touches like these!
It's funny, but it's true, a two button mouse from Apple would be a big deal. I wonder how long Apple will take to intro it to the consumer models. I mean look at the "new 'cheaper'" mouse Apple now ships with the eMac.

Also Apple just adding 1 USB 2.0 port, kinda like many PC companies only add one firewire port. I like it b/c I perfer firewire and shop for it, but it does give us the option. Good point about seperating the different USB ports, I didn't know that.

One other thing I wanted to say was I think Apple would be smart to leave the whole "G" naming scheme behind, PowerMac 970 really sets it apart. If the case turns out to be that much different, I think Apple is trying to (smartly so) make a big deal out of it and clearly seperate it from the other models. That is why I also kinda believe that the speeds are 2.0 adn 2.4 Ghz, really take that big leap. Now if they had made these babies dualie's but they will probably fly off the shelves as is. Honestly we don't even really know how fast these are going to be. Love the way I am writing as if I have already seen them. Such a Mac geek, sad really.

Eug
Clinically Insane
Jun 19, 2003, 11:29 AM

If Apple could make a stylish case that is also quiet, I would prefer to have a desktop than a tower.
Yeah, but what's the point of a desktop if you can't put your Apple Cinema Display on top of it without fear of it crashing down to the floor, and without it causing you severe neck pain?

Remember, a 20" Cinema Display is 54 cm wide, and a 23" Cinema Display is a whopping 61 cm wide. The claimed height of the new Power Mac is 55 cm (originally 65, but then it was said it was supposedly a typo), and the current curved Power Mac is 43 cm. Plus, a desktop computer with a Cinema Display on it would totally consume any desk space a Cinema Display would have saved. The claimed depth of the new Power mac is 40 cm, and the current one is 47 cm.

Either they completely redesign the Cinema Displays at the same time, or else a Power Mac true-on-the-desk desktop, while not completely unreasonable, makes little sense when taking the rest of Apple's hardware in consideration.

Last edited by Eug on 06-23-2003 at 08:51 PM

silverlode
Forum Regular
Jun 19, 2003, 11:38 AM

I think a bluetooth mouse would make great sense - throw the thing in your laptop bag and use it for your presentation, etc...
calibrated in-phase cylindrical chamber technician

galarneau
Senior User
Jun 19, 2003, 12:04 PM

Originally posted by slider:
slider shoots different drummer in head.
Thanks alot slider, now how the hell am I going to dance?

galarneau
Senior User
Jun 19, 2003, 12:12 PM

Originally posted by Eug:
Either they completely redesign the Cinema Displays at the same time, or else a Power Mac true-on-the-desk desktop, while not completely unreasonable, makes little sense when taking the rest of Apple's hardware in consideration.
Well, if you're gonna go and use all that logic and stuff on me... sheesh. Takes all the fun out of it.

kentuckyfried
Senior User
Jun 19, 2003, 03:26 PM

puah ha ha ha ha

Originally posted by - - e r i k - -:
Now I know, and knowing is half the battle!

tooki
Admin Emeritus
Jun 19, 2003, 04:05 PM

Originally posted by Rabid Duck:
The German description seemed plausible until I read the part about the two-button mouse with scroll wheel, which goes against 20 years of Apple doctrine. Also, that case is way too skinny... Apple would have to custom-engineer their own optical drives to cram 'em in there rather than using OEM parts. It just doesn't make any sense.

-RD
Nonsense. So far, the case has been said to be "around 15 cm". Well, a standard optical drive is 14.5cm wide. (I just measured one.)

So if "around" 15 cm means "a little more than," normal drives would fit.

Originally posted by galarneau
I've seen them before. Gateway and/or Dell once made such a beast. The drive bays (3 of them, i think) were on a sort of square carrier, which could be removed, rotated by 90 degrees, and put back in.

As for USB ports... some USB controller chips have more USB 1 ports than USB 2 ones. Such is the case in the controller in the MDD G4's (they just have USB 2 deactivated).

tooki

The Jackalope
Grizzled Veteran
Jun 20, 2003, 12:20 AM

clf8
Jun 20, 2003, 02:06 AM

Originally posted by P:
USB 2.0 is only "sort of" backward compatible. For USB 2 to work at full speed, all cables and all hubs must be USB 2 - otherwise it will drop to USB 1.1 speeds.
yeah, usb1.1 and usb2 are pretty operable, but they've gone and done some stupid stuf with the naming scheme. Apparently, Sony and a couple of other companies started putting USB1.1 ports in their laptops and called them USB2. So, whatever consortium decided that USB1.1 is now USB2, and USB2 is still USB2. But, there is a naming distinction between, which makes complete sense. USB1.1 is now "USB2 Full-Speed" and USB2 is "USB2 Hi-Speed". Make sense? Clear? Will make complete sense to the comsumer, of course! Thank you Intel and Microsoft, check it out here
-Flowers...

benh57
Senior User
Jun 20, 2003, 03:03 AM

Just seen the box somewhere in the ether. (obviously can't say where - someone'll end up with the sack)

Not called G5. It's called the PowerMacintosh 970. No codenames or anything. That's all i can say .
Oops.
Dual 800 - GF3 - 1.5GB

Dogma
Mac Elite
Jun 20, 2003, 06:26 AM

Originally posted by benh57:
Oops.
Oops what? That's what it said. Was gone when I snooped by later - musta been a delivery.
Hark, I hear a robin sig'ing in the trees!
Nae, there is no sog to be sug,
or am I wrog? Why can't I sig?

mikerally
Senior User
Jun 21, 2003, 05:53 AM

Woooooo

jamesa
Grizzled Veteran
Jun 22, 2003, 06:43 AM

Oops what? That's what it said. Was gone when I snooped by later - musta been a delivery.
ok, well, this presents a major dilemna - if it's really codenamed Power Macintosh 970 on the box, why on earth would it turn up on Apple's site as "Power Macintosh G5".

Somebody's not telling the truth, because they wouldn't start changing the branding between the site and the machine itself.

-- james

Simon
Posting Junkie
Jun 22, 2003, 06:57 AM

Originally posted by jamesa:
ok, well, this presents a major dilemna - if it's really codenamed Power Macintosh 970 on the box, why on earth would it turn up on Apple's site as "Power Macintosh G5".

Somebody's not telling the truth, because they wouldn't start changing the branding between the site and the machine itself.
This is not the only contradiction between the leaked Apple specs and the german report. I trust the leaked Apple specs more, because I believe they were really leaked and thus genuine.

Honestly, I think the german report is BS. (diagional PCI slots? yeah right.)

DeathToWindows
Professional Poster
Jun 22, 2003, 11:01 AM

Avoid SpyMac like the plague... have they EVER had a correct rumor/leak?

Don't try to outweird me, I get stranger things than you free with my breakfast cereal.

jamesa
Grizzled Veteran
Jun 22, 2003, 11:40 AM

Originally posted by DeathToWindows:
Avoid SpyMac like the plague... have they EVER had a correct rumor/leak?
it's only a forum post, linking to some European's account.

There's so much disinformation out there now. More "scoop" rumours than I can remember in some time. A long time, in fact.

I'm not sure whether Apple might be behind some of it either.

-- james

Forum Links
Forum Rules